What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The “Woke” thread (3 Viewers)

All Kamala Harris has ever had in her ammo pouch is identity politics. Not going to be surprised if a one trick pony keeps hammering away at their one trick. This is Chubby Checker doing The Twist level one trick-itis.
Lolz. GG laying it down a bit. With a Chubby Checker reference to boot. But wouldn't it be more like the Jesse Jackson trick you just alluded to in the USA Today thread? One trick can go a long, long way when you play power politics with it.

https://twitter.com/bluestein/status/1377282067076108292?s=21

Don’t think I’d call this cancel culture, but punishing a company (one that got crushed during COVID nonetheless) because they don’t like your new legislation sounds relatively similar.
I don't think citizens and academics with viewpoints and not wanting to stifle that via cancel culture is comparable with an expectation that a business can take a controversial political position and not expect consumer blowback.

Doesn't mean I advocate boycotting Delta, I don't, but I'm not sure it is a good business decision to wade deep into politics.  I think CFA for example should completely expect blowback for negative LBGTQ donations or statements.

Tricky stuff....not black & white for sure

Last edited by a moderator:
People in this thread have asked about why many of us think that self-identified anti-racists are actually super racist.  Here's a nice example:  https://twitter.com/JamaalBowmanNY/status/1376520062773903364

This little cartoon is being trotted out in an effort to make an anti-racist argument, but it rests on an implicit assumption that human races are different like elephants and goldfish and monkeys (!) and penguins are different.  And that only one race is able to do things like solve systems of equations and identify good analogies on standardized tests.  That's super duper racist, like KKK type racist.

This is just a single example of this phenomenon and it would fair to write it off as an isolated example.  I should do a better job of cataloging stuff like this when it pops up.

People in this thread have asked about why many of us think that self-identified anti-racists are actually super racist.  Here's a nice example:  https://twitter.com/JamaalBowmanNY/status/1376520062773903364

This little cartoon is being trotted out in an effort to make an anti-racist argument, but it rests on an implicit assumption that human races are different like elephants and goldfish and monkeys (!) and penguins are different.  And that only one race is able to do things like solve systems of equations and identify good analogies on standardized tests.  That's super duper racist, like KKK type racist.

This is just a single example of this phenomenon and it would fair to write it off as an isolated example.  I should do a better job of cataloging stuff like this when it pops up.
Yes, its hard for me not to think that behind many of the discussions today there seems to be an undercurrent that one population of people just can't do some things or can't succeed without help.  Most recent example is expecting someone to have a government issued ID to vote is a herculean obstacle.

There is this fine line between helping and also removing agency and disabling (and the undercurrent of ... "they" always need help).  Deep / complex topic.

Saw a documentary recently that was a two-fer...goes deep on the Michael Brown shooting and also talks a lot about the genesis of the town of Ferguson and surrounding areas in St. Louis.  The narrator is obviously biased in thought, probably a bit much for me but very thought provoking nonetheless.

What Killed Michael Brown

Filing this one under woke.   Safety Seal

I like the idea of safe buildings and maybe its just me but why when I watch this do I feel like its supposed to be these benevolent societal representatives telling us poor children how they are protecting us.  When did DeNiro get promoted to this role and why is he speaking like the audience is learning the English language for the first time?

This sort of approach seems to me pervasive in how our politicians and the media speak to us and even more so POC.

Now that we may not need to be locked down any longer with a vaccine is this the new play on peoples fears...our buildings aren't safe?  How long before a building is not deemed safe based on race or sexual preference?

Why am I trusting a woman that is wearing a costume with faux crow wings?

Why hasn't James Duke and Duke University been cancelled yet?
I mean, after all, he was the founder of the tobacco industry.

Why hasn't the name of all those colleges who's names are associated with slave traders and slave owners been cancelled?

...or, are we just waiting until they run out of things and start looking around?
I am guessing you posted the wrong video. It also looks like you have become the thing I thought you disliked, running around looking for things with controversial histories. 

I like the idea of safe buildings and maybe its just me but why when I watch this do I feel like its supposed to be these benevolent societal representatives telling us poor children how they are protecting us.  When did DeNiro get promoted to this role and why is he speaking like the audience is learning the English language for the first time?

This sort of approach seems to me pervasive in how our politicians and the media speak to us and even more so POC.

Now that we may not need to be locked down any longer with a vaccine is this the new play on peoples fears...our buildings aren't safe?  How long before a building is not deemed safe based on race or sexual preference?

Seems like a nice grift. Hey, pay us thousands of dollars a year for this cool virtue signal sticker. 

Seems like a nice grift. Hey, pay us thousands of dollars a year for this cool virtue signal sticker. 
I mean if these buildings are actually investing money, efforts, planning, etc in improving air circulation, sanitizing, etc.  than that is a positive thing. If it's just paying for a sticker than that is dumb but a simple business move. In the end, it is just basic capitalism. You want more foot traffic and people visiting your physical business. The current market shows people are a little more hesitant to do that and there is likely to be a greater concern moving forward towards cleanliness, sanitation, personal space, etc. Businesses are going to look for real and for symbolic ways to make customers feel safe. 

Not sure I get how that Safety Seal connects to cancel culture or woke culture.
Don't try to burst my bubble man.  Agree that this is basic capitalism and like I said I like the idea of safety too....its the Orwellian feel / woke packaging that made me file it here.

I would add that to the pandemic grifters list

An Asian actress is complaining the scenes she was in years ago is now racist and anti-Asian.
Oh yeah I can see the complaint. It's certainly playing on Asian stereotypes but also Michael is really the butt of the jokes for his idiocy. I don't think anyone is cancelling The Office though. It is really popular with Gen X, Millennials and Zoomers. The actress has a right to feel regrets for the role. It doesn't mean the show is "cancelled".

Probably the best place for this, thought it was an interesting take from someone who I believe is a fairly hard-core libertarian (Link).  Author is the type who was happy the Wisconsin court threw out the Governor's emergency decrees.  Not sure why he is eschewing capitalization in his pieces.  At any rate...

Starts by quoting Greenwald:

People in the liberal sector of the media have not come to terms with how widely and intensely hated they are.  Because they only follow & hear each other and write for one another, they think their enemies -- rather than they -- are the hated fringe.
Makes the point several others have made about their similarity to the religious right of yore:

this is just what happened to the "moral majority" on the american right in the 80's. it had been ascendant too long and lost touch with reality and the with the zeitgeist of america. and now it is the left's turn, as they too have been culturally dominant for much too long and they too have become riddled with rot and intellectually vacuous.
But ultimately concludes that it is a movement in its death throes, and in the comments suggests the real danger is a union of the authoritarian right and left:

the semiotic aggrievement department at oberlin is not where the danger lies. the danger lies at the place where google meets halliburton and the public health department meets climate changes meets the neocon department of MOAR WAR.
I thought that point was particularly interesting because there seems to have been a massive movement of neoconservatives like Bill Kristol into the Democratic fold over the past 6 years.  Whether that's due to the odiousness of the current Right or something sinister happening is I suppose in the eye of the beholder.

Oh yeah I can see the complaint. It's certainly playing on Asian stereotypes but also Michael is really the butt of the jokes for his idiocy. I don't think anyone is cancelling The Office though. It is really popular with Gen X, Millennials and Zoomers. The actress has a right to feel regrets for the role. It doesn't mean the show is "cancelled".
Agreed.  I haven't watched The Office in a while, but it seemed like all of the (what some would call) racially insensitive jokes were to show how ignorant and unintelligent Michael was.  Same thing with All in the Family, where the jokes were always there to demonstrate what an ignorant bigot Archie was. 

Twitter has not banned Gina Carano but they have done something that they have not done for any other user. They have placed a warning on her account to anyone visiting it that "this account might include sensitive material."

https://twitter.com/andysignore/status/1378173017264623617?s=19
I don't get why they just don't leave Twitter.  You would think with the censorship of opposing thought on these platforms there would be a mass exodus to a platform that actually supports free speech and not just left/far-left views.

I don't get why they just don't leave Twitter.  You would think with the censorship of opposing thought on these platforms there would be a mass exodus to a platform that actually supports free speech.
Which platform?  Parlor?  I went there to check it out and felt like I was subject to a physical exam or something (ok, maybe they only asked for my phone number...but wtf)

Which platform?  Parlor?  I went there to check it out and felt like I was subject to a physical exam or something (ok, maybe they only asked for my phone number...but wtf)
Interesting.  All I did was sign up with my info.  What do you mean by "a physical exam"?

Also, seems like a great opportunity for someone to step up and build a platform for everyone.

Interesting.  All I did was sign up with my info.  What do you mean by "a physical exam"?

Also, seems like a great opportunity for someone to step up and build a platform for everyone.
That was a joke...the phone number felt intrusive.  I have garbage email addresses i can use, fake phone numbers are hard.

Agree, is a great opportunity.

Parler is finally back up on different servers but it was effectively neutralized. It was on its way to maybe competing in a year or 2 and then google, amazon and apple colluded to destroy them. They're basically starting at ground level again.

It's out of control everywhere.  Neither "side" has a monopoly on this silliness. 
Cancel Culture is almost entirely a left-wing phenomena.  It originated with them and they continue to push it.

IMO, this is not a "both sides" issue at all.

Yes it is. Regardless of where it started, both sides do it now all the time.  
Well, I don't see the right engaging in it anywhere near where the left does it.  It's simply a reaction to the cancel culture in general.  I mean, if you're asking someone to abide by the rules they made up, then that's not really engaging in it.

I quit the libertarian party, several years ago, because at a meeting I attended they were complaining about motorcycle helmets and claiming that this was the first slippery slope towards a full dictatorship. Bunch of wackos. I had become a libertarian originally because I attracted to their stances on free trade and open immigration, and because I had always considered myself to be economically conservative and socially liberal so I thought it was a good fit . But these folks were extremist. 

That’s how this debate strikes me. You guys are bringing up extreme anecdotes and trying to find insidious patterns that don’t really exist. 

I quit the libertarian party, several years ago, because at a meeting I attended they were complaining about motorcycle helmets and claiming that this was the first slippery slope towards a full dictatorship. Bunch of wackos. I had become a libertarian originally because I attracted to their stances on free trade and open immigration, and because I had always considered myself to be economically conservative and socially liberal so I thought it was a good fit . But these folks were extremist. 

That’s how this debate strikes me. You guys are bringing up extreme anecdotes and trying to find insidious patterns that don’t really exist. 
Libertarian?  No way.

You kind of sound like Sho here: Proclaim you are something else while defending everything opposite of what you claim you are 24/7.

Well, I don't see the right engaging in it anywhere near where the left does it.  It's simply a reaction to the cancel culture in general.  I mean, if you're asking someone to abide by the rules they made up, then that's not really engaging in it.
There is no doubt that the left is putting points on the scoreboard in bunches right now, and it’s not really close.  That said, an American President calling for a boycott of America’s pastime is notable. 

here's one from a local pizzaria:

Delivery driver is apparently 2 hours late to a delivery.  Order is for a black family and they are rightfully pissed. They refuse to tip him. On his way back to the store, the driver send the family an angry text with a slur in it. Family calls the pizzaria and the owner apologizes, refunds the family and fires the driver on the spot. 

Now they are rallying in front of the store and saying the owner should have "done more," was "not sincere in his actions" and demand people stop patronizing the pizzaria. 

from the article

In a flyer posted to the protest groups' Facebook pages, organizers state: "No one deserves to be treated this way. Join LIPP and BWBU as we rally outside the pizzeria to stand by this customer and show our support for them, and let the pizzeria know this behavior will not be tolerated."

When contacted for comment, Brandon Felton, a BWBU Facebook page organizer, told Patch he was not in the "business of attacking a good business."

Felton, who reviewed the pizzeria owner's demeanor in the video posted to Facebook, believes the pizzeria owner did the only thing that he could do and his actions were not sincere, so the rally will go on as planned.

"I do not want anyone going to that pizza parlor that is on the right side of history," he said.
Mike Peranio, who owns Vintage Sports Bar across the street from the pizzeria, told Patch the business in the neighborhood serves a diverse crowd and he has never heard a single bad word about the pizzeria in his three years there. He said that there is no way that a business owner can determine if an employee has "racial issues or not" and he questioned such an occurrence could be predicted.

"They are protesting when the employee was let go. It could happen to any [business] owner, but how can we know before it happens?" Peranio added.

here's one from a local pizzaria:

Delivery driver is apparently 2 hours late to a delivery.  Order is for a black family and they are rightfully pissed. They refuse to tip him. On his way back to the store, the driver send the family an angry text with a slur in it. Family calls the pizzaria and the owner apologizes, refunds the family and fires the driver on the spot. 

Now they are rallying in front of the store and saying the owner should have "done more," was "not sincere in his actions" and demand people stop patronizing the pizzaria. 

from the article
What are the odds that text was actually sent as she said?

Users who are viewing this thread