Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

“Cancel Culture” and “Woke”


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, parasaurolophus said:

Or it is a distraction. From the real problems.

Real problems that affect everyday lives! Like whether or not there's enough diversity in Hollywood award shows! 

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/16/2021 at 1:16 PM, jm192 said:

I think he's just stepping aside for a bit.  

This is actually how these things should go.  "I've offended and hurt people.  I realize I'm wrong.  I want to do better.  Let me step away to become more informed, and I'll be back better."

Not "You said the wrong stuff, you must be fired.  We won't stop until you're fired."

Hes gone now.  We are in bizarro world.  He tried to do the right thing and got bamboozled.  This is just getting insane.  I cannot believe he lost his damn job because he tried to defend the actions of an 18 year old girl.  Good lord this is nuts

Edited by pantherclub
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

I will admit it's a little odd seeing kudos to Maher from the right side of the aisle.  

Odd as in when someone says something that makes sense you should be trained to automatically disagree because you disagreed with something else they've said?  Doesn't that sound like a poor litmus test?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

I will admit it's a little odd seeing kudos to Maher from the right side of the aisle.  

Conservatives have been saying what Maher said for at least 5 years or longer. It's good to see someone like him finally "getting it".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KarmaPolice said:

I will admit it's a little odd seeing kudos to Maher from the right side of the aisle.  

Not that odd, Maher's views on Muslims for years has been more in step with the right side of the aisle. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, squistion said:

Not that odd, Maher's views on Muslims for years has been more in step with the right side of the aisle. 

Good. A large swath of Muslims believe women are second class citizens, believe lgbtq+ individuals should be murdered. A large swath believe if you don't follow Islam you're an infidel and should be put to death. The list can go on and on. And before you say it, obviously not all Muslims think that way.

Glad he's seeing the light.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, crackattack said:

Conservatives have been saying what Maher said for at least 5 years or longer. It's good to see someone like him finally "getting it".

Maher has been consistently on the side of free expression and putting up with people you disagree with for as long as I've been aware of his existence -- at least 25 years.  This isn't some new thing for him.  It's more like everybody else switched sides except for him.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/16/2021 at 9:38 AM, timschochet said:

These terms, much like the older “political correctness”, are being applied to individual situations in order to suggest a larger, insidious purpose which is usually non-existent. They are also mostly used to complain about an effort to prevent rude or bigoted behavior that some of us believe should no longer be tolerated in a civil society, 

 

150,000 posts.  That is a milestone! Nobody is even close.👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

Maher has been consistently on the side of free expression and putting up with people you disagree with for as long as I've been aware of his existence -- at least 25 years.  This isn't some new thing for him.  It's more like everybody else switched sides except for him.

There’s a difference though. He sees individual instances and complains about them. Sometimes I agree with him, sometimes I don’t. 

But he does NOT see an insidious, conspiratorial plot by liberals to silence conservatism. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, timschochet said:

There’s a difference though. He sees individual instances and complains about them. Sometimes I agree with him, sometimes I don’t. 

But he does NOT see an insidious, conspiratorial plot by liberals to silence conservatism. 

Have you seen him talk about cancel culture because I would describe him exactly as seeing it as insidious.

Conspiracy?  Like a secret meeting of the cancel culture high council?  No, he doesn’t say that but then again I don’t see anyone saying that here either that’s just you putting words in peoples mouths as a shortcut to undermine and belittle legitimate discussion.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, djmich said:

Have you seen him talk about cancel culture because I would describe him exactly as seeing it as insidious.

Conspiracy?  Like a secret meeting of the cancel culture high council?  No, he doesn’t say that but then again I don’t see anyone saying that here either that’s just you putting words in peoples mouths as a shortcut to undermine and belittle legitimate discussion.

Legitimate discussion would be to take each incident, look at it separately, and decide if it’s a good or bad thing. Tying them all together and calling it “cancel culture” as a means to make conservatives victims is whats insidious and wrong, IMO. 

Edited by timschochet
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, timschochet said:

There’s a difference though. He sees individual instances and complains about them. Sometimes I agree with him, sometimes I don’t. 

But he does NOT see an insidious, conspiratorial plot by liberals to silence conservatism. 

Of course he doesn't, and he's right.  The folks who are currently the noisiest in advocating against free expression are leftists, not liberals.  Maher is a liberal, not a leftist.  People like Maher tend to be pretty consistent on this issue because liberalism places a high value on individualism and freedom of thought.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, djmich said:

Have you seen him talk about cancel culture because I would describe him exactly as seeing it as insidious.

Conspiracy?  Like a secret meeting of the cancel culture high council?  No, he doesn’t say that but then again I don’t see anyone saying that here either that’s just you putting words in peoples mouths as a shortcut to undermine and belittle legitimate discussion.

From what I have seen, my sense is that Maher's frustration is mostly with the liberals who do it because he feels like they should be better than that (while conservatives who do it are jackholes for whom he has no expectations to do the right thing).  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, djmich said:

Odd as in when someone says something that makes sense you should be trained to automatically disagree because you disagreed with something else they've said?  Doesn't that sound like a poor litmus test?

Yes to a point, and yes.  

More I just thought he was viewsd as more of a left guy in the public eye, and yes I would guess a lot of people don't watch much from the other side.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

From what I have seen, my sense is that Maher's frustration is mostly with the liberals who do it because he feels like they should be better than that (while conservatives who do it are jackholes for whom he has no expectations to do the right thing).  

I mean if that’s the lens that folks on the left need to see it through to still score a win...then I’m ok with that because the result is what’s important to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, pantherclub said:

Hes gone now.  We are in bizarro world.  He tried to do the right thing and got bamboozled.  This is just getting insane.  I cannot believe he lost his damn job because he tried to defend the actions of an 18 year old girl.  Good lord this is nuts

There has to be more to this, right?  Because I agree that it’s nuts. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

Thanks for sharing.  Great article and pretty much explains everything.  Harrison just said pump the brakes on throwing this 18 year old under the bus.  Harrison essentially got fired because an 18 year went to a plantation party 3 years ago.  Its literally insanity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

There has to be more to this, right?  Because I agree that it’s nuts. 

Nope.  Thats it.  Rachel Lindsay was making the rounds on the interview circuit raising hell and she did 2 of her own podcast "calling out the racist culture" of the Bachelor.  She spearheaded everything.  I noticed last week she went on with Simmons trying to to say she didnt do any of that but her actions speak otherwise.    She is a terrible person.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, crackattack said:

Conservatives have been saying what Maher said for at least 5 years or longer. It's good to see someone like him finally "getting it".

As others have noted, Maher has been consistent in his views since the beginning. I remember conservatives losing their minds over his political incorrectness 20 years ago.

Second, the “silly people” theme of Maher’s rant is applicable across the political spectrum, IMO. Regarding his proposition that the debate over racial stereotypes in Dr. Seuss books is silly given the much more important things we should be focused on, it’s worth noting who is focusing on the Seuss debate and wasting time and energy on it. There are all sorts of memes across social media on the topic. And I don’t know about anyone else’s feed, but in mine, it is nearly 100% conservatives who are losing their minds over the issue. Of all the liberals and leftists I know, not a single one has said anything to me about wanting to censor Seuss books. On the other hand, I have a whole lot of conservative friends who have spent a lot of time and energy on the topic. Heck, we have a U.S. Senator and former (and likely future) presidential candidate autographing copies of Green Eggs and Ham and selling them to supporters. So, yes, Maher’s point about the ridiculousness of it and the fact that it is diverting us from very real issues is targeted at the left. But I submit that the conservatives are equally as culpable of promoting the silliness that Maher cautions against.

Now can we get an infrastructure bill passed please?

Edited by bigbottom
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, bigbottom said:

As others have noted, Maher has been consistent in his views since the beginning. I remember conservatives losing their minds over his politically incorrectness 20 years ago.

Second, the “silly people” theme of Maher’s rant is applicable across the political spectrum. Regarding his proposition that the debate over racial stereotypes in Dr. Seuss books is silly given the much more important things we should be focused on, it’s worth noting who is focusing on the Seuss debate and wasting time and energy on it. There are all sorts of memes across social media on the topic. And I don’t know about anyone else’s feed, but in mine, it is nearly 100% conservatives who are losing their minds over the issue. Of all the liberals and leftists I know, not a single one has said anything to me about censoring Seuss books. On the other hand, I have a whole lot of conservative friends who have spent a lot of time and energy on the topic. Heck, we have a U.S. Senator and former (and likely future) presidential candidate autographing copies of Green Eggs and Ham and selling them to supporters. So, yes, Maher’s point about the ridiculousness of it and the fact that it is diverting us from very real issues is targeted at the left. But I submit that the conservatives are equally as culpable of promoting the silliness that Maher cautions against.

Now can we get an infrastructure bill passed please?

Yes, what a sad state of affairs.  But to be fair, it is conservatives that are mostly saying anything about cancel culture...and there is much more in my feed of substance than the two day Seuss media circus.  And that's what it was a circus to get more people under the tent who don't attend opera or theatre.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

Of all the liberals and leftists I know, not a single one has said anything to me about wanting to censor Seuss books.

I have to say, GB, that the victories are quiet and rightfully so. But make no mistake, they come from the leftist impulse toward "diversity," "inclusion," and "sensitivity," though they no longer use words like that because of the immediate implication. There's a quiet -- and no need to draw attention to the silencing of things in America, because once people become aware of it (or, to use the parlance of our time, "woke" to it) they get a bit angry and testy. There's a distinct reason why conservatives are hopping mad about Seuss and bringing it to media attention. They lost this portion of the fight and know the rest of the public doesn't know what's going on behind the scenes.

A personal learning note: In my Political Conflicts class that I took ages ago, I learned about pressure groups and conflicts and use of mass media. The point is to attract media when your side is losing to tap into heretofore unknown sympathizers. It's counterintuitive, but the losing side is the one that tries to get media attention to reach a different audience than heretofore realized. If you raise consciousness about an issue, you might find that you attract very different and disparate groups of people who have differing overlaps of tastes than the current population that is aware of the conflict. That's how you increase your numbers if you're losing.

Edited by rockaction
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, rockaction said:

A personal learning note: In my Political Conflicts class that I took ages ago, I learned about pressure groups and conflicts and use of mass media. The point is to attract media when your side is losing to tap into heretofore unknown sympathizers. It's counterintuitive, but the losing side is the one that tries to get media attention to reach a different audience than heretofore realized. If you raise consciousness about an issue, you might find that you attract very different and disparate groups of people who have differing overlaps of tastes than the current population that is aware of the conflict. That's how you increase your numbers if you're losing.

🤣  Much better said than my ####ty circus analogy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, djmich said:

🤣  Much better said than my ####ty circus analogy

Actually, I missed your post because I was watching a Megyn Kelly YouTube video about race and schools on Maher and then I immediately posted in response to some comments. Your analogy seems quite apt, too. That's what the media hubbub was about. Getting the information out to the public about what is going on behind closed doors. They're waving in people from the crowd that don't understand what is going on to participate, really.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

Now can we get an infrastructure bill passed please?

So that like in California when they tried to do high speed rail we got unfinished destinations from Bakersfield to Modesto? I'm serious. There was political wrangling, pork, and underserved community concerns that all went into it. Not like you couldn't go from San Diego to L.A. straight up the coast to San Francisco. No, our politics got us Bakersfield to Modesto. Pure boondoggle.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, rockaction said:

I have to say, GB, that the victories are quiet and rightfully so. But make no mistake, they come from the leftist impulse toward "diversity," "inclusion," and "sensitivity," though they no longer use words like that because of the immediate implication. There's a quiet -- and no need to draw attention to the silencing of things in America, because once people become aware of it (or, to use the parlance of our time, "woke" to it) they get a bit angry and testy. There's a distinct reason why conservatives are hopping mad about Seuss and bringing it to media attention. They lost this portion of the fight and know the rest of the public doesn't know what's going on behind the scenes.

A personal learning note: In my Political Conflicts class that I took ages ago, I learned about pressure groups and conflicts and use of mass media. The point is to attract media when your side is losing to tap into heretofore unknown sympathizers. It's counterintuitive, but the losing side is the one that tries to get media attention to reach a different audience than heretofore realized. If you raise consciousness about an issue, you might find that you attract very different and disparate groups of people who have differing overlaps of tastes than the current population that is aware of the conflict. That's how you increase your numbers if you're losing.

I don’t disagree and in some ways find myself aligned with those speaking out against what I believe are unwarranted repercussions. But I also agree that our lawmakers have much bigger fish to fry than grandstanding over Dr. Seuss and wish they would get to work. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, djmich said:

Have you seen him talk about cancel culture because I would describe him exactly as seeing it as insidious.

Conspiracy?  Like a secret meeting of the cancel culture high council?  No, he doesn’t say that but then again I don’t see anyone saying that here either 

Really? You don't see people here fixating on one side of the aisle here? Really. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bigbottom said:

But I also agree that our lawmakers have much bigger fish to fry than grandstanding over Dr. Seuss and wish they would get to work. 

Yeah, politicians have nothing to do with Dr. Seuss. There was no government censorship; there is no government action related to Dr. Seuss being proposed by either side.

If you want to be in Congress, do congressional stuff. If you want to spend your time commenting on Dr. Seuss, maybe get a job having something to do with that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

But I also agree that our lawmakers have much bigger fish to fry than grandstanding over Dr. Seuss and wish they would get to work. 

If it were about securing energy grids, preventing hacking attacks in order to bring our systems down, and using public funds for infrastructure in cost-effective ways, then I'd be all for it, too. But it seems like every time politicians "get to work," they get instead to pork with an eye toward re-election. Isn't a project that doesn't go by that roadblocks aren't thrown up in its way via environmental regulation, claims that it bypasses the poor, claims against the project from a million sources each wanting their constituents to "get some," which is the inevitability of everything public.

It's intractable, it seems. We're too big and with too much land mass to manage everything federally. California is huge. Let California be California, debts and all. No bailouts. No matching funds. Let its own short-sightedness be its downfall.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Indeed, the GOP (or any politician, really) taking this up as a cause celebre is one of the worst things that could happen to people who opposed cancel culture before they found out it applied to them, too. Political sides just bring their own intolerant brand into the debate and don't do much for it, IMO.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, massraider said:

Really? You don't see people here fixating on one side of the aisle here? Really. 

Think you misinterpreted my point.  Nobody on that side of the aisle thinks it is a conspiracy (A conspiracy, also known as a plot, is a secret plan or agreement between persons).  
 

Its out in the open madness of the masses that people are concerned about.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

What did he do?

Seems like he is presenting something related to the Grammy's and just being himself. People on Twitter melting down, I've only seen a couple clips. Not sure why you would have him host something like that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, jrt103 said:

that segment is terrifying 

Amazing how China is literally taking over entire continents economically while so much of the US infrastructure is literally crumbling around us

 

Modern day colonialism happening under the globes noses...but we're fighting about school names.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

What did he do?

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2021/03/14/watch-bill-burr-now-trending-after-making-a-joke-about-feminists-and-a-white-male-doing-all-this-latino-stuff-at-the-grammys/

 

No idea who he is, but I assume he's not a lib.  If he were, and were knocking white men, it would be ok.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, FairWarning said:

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2021/03/14/watch-bill-burr-now-trending-after-making-a-joke-about-feminists-and-a-white-male-doing-all-this-latino-stuff-at-the-grammys/

 

No idea who he is, but I assume he's not a lib.  If he were, and were knocking white men, it would be ok.  

Bill Burr's main political platform is screw political correctness. He's a comedian, it's not a coincidence that otherwise liberal funny people are very concerned about people getting upset over words. This is how they earn their living. 

Otherwise, he thinks both parties are run by idiots. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...