Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

“Cancel Culture” and “Woke”

Hang on Dr. Seuss, we need to cancel some female rappers. 

According to Tucker Carlson, Cardi B and Megan Thee Stallion are " actively trying to degrade our culture and hurt our children".  

It also "seems like an attack on American values, American traditions, and you’re actually actively trying to make children aspire to things that are grotesque" according to Candace Owens.  

The best part is, while they are clearly terrified about the damage done to the kids, they replayed the performance on a loop.   

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That was way too long a post.  Gordon Gekko is looking at that and wondering why I couldn't tighten it up a little.

Cancelling an awards show might be the best thing ever to emerge from the woke movement.  If they cancel the Oscars, I might become pro-woke.

Right-wingers do something dumb: "Look at those right-wingers.  What a bunch of dummies." Progressives do something dumb: "Look at those right-wingers complaining about that thing we did.  What a

21 minutes ago, massraider said:

Hang on Dr. Seuss, we need to cancel some female rappers. 

According to Tucker Carlson, Cardi B and Megan Thee Stallion are " actively trying to degrade our culture and hurt our children".  

It also "seems like an attack on American values, American traditions, and you’re actually actively trying to make children aspire to things that are grotesque" according to Candace Owens.  

The best part is, while they are clearly terrified about the damage done to the kids, they replayed the performance on a loop.   

Yeah I dont get the connection all these people on my Facebook are trying to make between Dr Seuss, Mr Potato Head, and Cardi B. And these same people disgusted by Cardi B idolized Madonna back in the day.

4 minutes ago, jobarules said:

Yeah I dont get the connection all these people on my Facebook are trying to make between Dr Seuss, Mr Potato Head, and Cardi B. And these same people disgusted by Cardi B idolized Madonna back in the day.

Yah I don't think there is a lot of value in conflating Dr Seuss and Cardi B, although I do understand the comparison.

Separately, it is disappointing to me that our children are listening to WAP.  Not sure if you guys have kids and call me an old man, but with two kids in pre-teen / early-teen I don't think the songs are productive to male-female relationships.  Defenders can couch it as empowering but I can tell you young boys are not reading it that way lol.  Like a Virgin is to WAP as a flesh wound is to severing a limb.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, djmich said:

Yah I don't think there is a lot of value in conflating Dr Seuss and Cardi B, although I do understand the comparison.

Separately, it is disappointing to me that our children are listening to WAP.  Not sure if you guys have kids and call me an old man, but with two kids in pre-teen / early-teen I don't think the songs are productive to male-female relationships.  Defenders can couch it as empowering but I can tell you young boys are not reading it that way lol.  Like a Virgin is to WAP as a flesh wound is to severing a limb.

There have been tons of raunchy songs by male performers over the last 30 years. Not really sure I see the difference.

9 minutes ago, djmich said:

Madonna rolling around on the floor in a wedding dress was miles more horrifying to America. The Grammys have little relevance nowadays. 

More scandalous things than Cardi's performance are on the kids' Instagram every day.

3 minutes ago, massraider said:

Madonna rolling around on the floor in a wedding dress was miles more horrifying to America. The Grammys have little relevance nowadays. 

More scandalous things than Cardi's performance are on the kids' Instagram every day.

I agree with everything you said, particularly the bolded, its not about the grammys for me.  I'm far from a pearl clutcher, our kids will survive lol.  What I know in particular is that my kids will be well adjusted...can't speak for everyone else's though.

33 minutes ago, djmich said:

I agree with everything you said, particularly the bolded, its not about the grammys for me.  I'm far from a pearl clutcher, our kids will survive lol.  What I know in particular is that my kids will be well adjusted...can't speak for everyone else's though.

And if everyone else's kids are not, Cardi had as much to do with that as she did in your kids turning out well. 

1 hour ago, massraider said:

And if everyone else's kids are not, Cardi had as much to do with that as she did in your kids turning out well. 

Yah I don't think Cardi in isolation means squat, but I think it would be myopic to think that the cultural sources kids are exposed to don't influence their thinking.  Whether or not there is a strong parental presence matters and not all have it.

Different topic.

Edited by djmich

Hard to promote Me Too and not call out that WAP performance at the grammy’s.  It embodied the objectification of women more than anything I’ve seen in recent years.  Straight out nasty, and not in a good way.

Edited by ekbeats
  • Like 1

Lows rated Grammys on record. Let's see a show of hands of people who actually saw their performance on the show or latter because of the controversy?

Edited by Mile High
8 minutes ago, Mile High said:

Lows rated Grammys on record. Let's see a show of hands of people who actually saw their performance on the show or latter because of the controversy?

Or who has it bookmarked...but not because of the controversy 😂

• Laughing 1
3 hours ago, jobarules said:

There have been tons of raunchy songs by male performers over the last 30 years. Not really sure I see the difference.

Men aren't complaining about being objectified...unless its complaints about not being objectified enough lol

But not really a male/female thing for me and I'm admittedly not a grammys historian but has there been a song with similar lyrics and enactment on the grammys in the last 30yrs?  Sure Madonna was racy in her day, but so was Jerry Lee Lewis...surely we can see the difference between Great Balls of Fire and Wet ### #####?

2 hours ago, IvanKaramazov said:

It was a lot easier growing up when were kids and had wholesome music to listen to, like Wu Tang Clan and 2 Live Crew.

WHAT DO WE GET FOR TEN DOLLARS???????

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, djmich said:

Men aren't complaining about being objectified...unless its complaints about not being objectified enough lol

But not really a male/female thing for me and I'm admittedly not a grammys historian but has there been a song with similar lyrics and enactment on the grammys in the last 30yrs?  Sure Madonna was racy in her day, but so was Jerry Lee Lewis...surely we can see the difference between Great Balls of Fire and Wet ### #####?

The difference is men objectifying women is ok yet women objectifying themselves is criticized.

I personally have no problem with either. I thought Cardi B and Megan Thee Stallion performance was hot. It's the people that criticize one and not the other I have problems with. 

I'm not sure about past Grammy performances. I do remember Britney Spears performing in a see through piece and writhing around with a snake and people loved it. I do also remember a pretty raunchy Miley Cyrus performance. So maybe it's not the fact that Cardi B is a female but a black female. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, djmich said:

Cardi B isn't complaining either. 

The raunchy songs where men objectified women, don't seem to bother people. 

Two women doing their thing? Tucker Carlson outrage. 

I saw the performance, I thought it sucked. 

But we have seen women fake strip and grind on a floor for decades. 

What's worse, Cardi B saying the P word, or a generation of hair bands singing about underage girls?

Take a hundred foot view of this thing. You cannot go after this performance in a vacuum. 

Cardi had as much right to be tacky and nasty as anyone else

Over the top. We've never seen simulated tribbing on a network before. Ergo, new ground was...broken?

People are posting this in my Twitter feed as normal. I'm like that's not normal, that's simulated girl on girl humping.

Other people can normalize that behavior and point to other scandalous things, the thing is that we've defined deviancy down and have clearly hit the slippery (see what I did there?) slope that we've been going down since Madonna, who was rightfully condemned for her symbolically-laden antichrist imagery.

Just my two cents on the whole thing.

6 minutes ago, rockaction said:

People are posting this in my Twitter feed as normal. I'm like that's not normal, that's simulated girl on girl humping.

This happened for about a second.  I watched it, for research purposes.

25 minutes ago, massraider said:

Cardi B isn't complaining either. 

The raunchy songs where men objectified women, don't seem to bother people. 

Two women doing their thing? Tucker Carlson outrage. 

I saw the performance, I thought it sucked. 

But we have seen women fake strip and grind on a floor for decades. 

Yah, you and joba make some good points.  I'm not sure if WAP is getting more play because its women, because the grammys just happened and it was viewed beyond their core audience or what (maybe there is some gender or race bias to your points...although Madonna & Britney were big deals in their time as well).

For me, its more of an overall indictment of the degrading content we're celebrating as a society.  Cardi B is brilliant for filling the demand and that's her right...but I can say that about a lot of things not good for society.

34 minutes ago, jobarules said:

I remember year ago I used to think Miley was good looking. Now she just looks used up, trashy and much older than her 28 years. 28 going on 50.

Edited by Summer Wheat
6 hours ago, Apple Jack said:

His Steve Jobs rant is gold.

Agreed.  It's one of my favorite bits because it's so true how people act like it's the CEO making the technological breakthroughs.

39 minutes ago, jobarules said:

I'm not sure about past Grammy performances. I do remember Britney Spears performing in a see through piece and writhing around with a snake and people loved it. I do also remember a pretty raunchy Miley Cyrus performance. So maybe it's not the fact that Cardi B is a female but a black female. 

I'm not sure I'd go down the race path.  Maybe it's just the circle of people I know, but it seems to me the people who are complaining about Cardi B were the ones complaining about Madonna, Britney, Shakira at the Super Bowl, etc.  I haven't seen a lot of side-switching, but certainly YMMV.

Not sure I've ever watched more than 10 minutes of the Grammies.  I saw the clip people were talking about, and I'll say that while I certainly don't think it should be banned, it depresses me that some people are viewing it as some sort of yas kween moment.  I've been saying for a few years that we seem to be headed for some weird 1984 / Brave New World mashup, and this is certainly not evidence against that.

13 minutes ago, djmich said:

Yah, you and joba make some good points.  I'm not sure if WAP is getting more play because its women, because the grammys just happened and it was viewed beyond their core audience or what (maybe there is some gender or race bias to your points...although Madonna & Britney were big deals in their time as well).

Listen, I watched that performance live, well, some of it, and I thought, ooof, this is nasty and gross.  It was also jarring to see it on an awards show.  I think the song itself, sucks.  I like Cardi B a lot, she has some good songs, especially if you grade on a curve of recent hip-hop.  But I thought this sing and performance are boring, pandering, and obvious.  

It is getting lots of play because it was fairly graphic, but we all survived Madonna, a bunch of guitarists pretending their guitar was a johnson, Bowie in a dress, Prince, Elvis' gyrating hips, etc.

If your parents don't hate your music, your music isn't trying hard enough.  

Didn't we all call our parents out about their hypocrisy of complaining about our music?  They went though it with their parents, then they pulled it on us.  

Cardi's performance wasn't much to the kids, I don't think.  Did any of them watch??  It's not THEIR media that is keeping this story going.  

5 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

This isn't real, it's just an anecdote, why are you defending racism, why are you white men so obsessed with this, who cares about Teen Vogue, something something consequences, something something free market

Just getting all that out of the way in one post.

fyp

5 hours ago, Sand said:

Hammer delivered for some stupid stuff tweeted at 17.  Seventeen.

There is no forgiveness.  Ever.  These people are evil.

Well, to be fair, it's highly likely she probably voted for this so in the end she gets what she voted for.  :shrug:

Now, I'm against this regardless of what side of the aisle your on but the cancel culture mobs are entirely a liberal creation so on one hand I'm happy to see that they are turning on their own (just like we told everyone they would) and it's not just affecting conservatives anymore.

On the other hand, all of this is terrible.  People and companies need to stop bowing to the mob.  Someone needs to stand up and fight them and put them down like the rabid dogs they are.

Edited by BladeRunner
31 minutes ago, BladeRunner said:

[...] On the other hand, all of this is terrible.  People and companies need to stop bowing to the mob.  Someone needs to stand up and fight them and put them down like a rabid dog.

:no:  Be better. 

13 minutes ago, squistion said:

:no:  Be better. 

Fixed.  Thanks for the heads up!

It didn't sound right so I fixed it to be more grammatically accurate.  And are you denying they are acting like rabid dogs?  Mauling, ripping and tearing thru people with nary a thought?

They are exactly like rabid dogs.

Edited by BladeRunner
On 3/16/2021 at 3:12 PM, rockaction said:

Over the top. We've never seen simulated tribbing on a network before. Ergo, new ground was...broken?

Other people can normalize that behavior and point to other scandalous things, the thing is that we've defined deviancy down and have clearly hit the slippery (see what I did there?) slope that we've been going down since Madonna, who was rightfully condemned for her symbolically-laden antichrist imagery.

Just my two cents on the whole thing.

Am I the only one who had to look up what tribbing was?

• Laughing 1
2 minutes ago, kodycutter said:

Am I the only one who had to look up what tribbing was?

Are you running for Congress, kody? Inquiring minds want to know...

• Laughing 1
On 3/15/2021 at 12:41 PM, IvanKaramazov said:

I feel strangely better now that the Woke Police have moved on to The View, The Grammys, and The Bachelor.  They can nuke those institutions from orbit for all I care.

How do you feel about Teen Vogue?

1 hour ago, IvanKaramazov said:

I'm going to have to seriously consider not renewing my subscription this year.

I don't read Teen Vogue.  Especially the articles on why Hailey Bieber wouldn't get a specific tattoo or why Saweetie and Quavo broke up or where I can get $80 Arianna Grande jeans.  I don't read that stuff.

Edited by BladeRunner
  • Laughing 1
47 minutes ago, jobarules said:

Is this really woke culture? They're not changing CC cards because they are non-PC, they are changing them to be more modern.

Basically the same thing. As with a bunch of the incidents talked about in here.

It's weird to see these type of issues talked about in the same thread as the Teen Vogue thing. Completely different issues for me.

3 hours ago, jobarules said:

Is this really woke culture? They're not changing CC cards because they are non-PC, they are changing them to be more modern.

It was tongue in cheek.