Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

“Cancel Culture” and “Woke”

21 minutes ago, identikit said:

Those already happened.

What already happened? :confused:

This is the second time you made a non-sequitur in response to my post. I guessed in my first post what you were trying to say and apparently guessed wrong. Now I have no idea what point you were or are trying to make. 

2 minutes ago, squistion said:

What already happened? :confused:

This is the second time you made a non-sequitur in response to my post. I guessed in my first post what you were trying to say and apparently guessed wrong. Now I have no idea what point you were or are trying to make. 

It'll be ok.

44 minutes ago, identikit said:

It'll be ok.

I won't respond to you any further since after a third successive cryptic post like this, it appears this is just trolling. 

• Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

Looks like HatWRKS in Nashville are quickly on the way to cancel city.  :thumbup:

Several hat manufacturers have already decided to stop distribution through the store.

16 hours ago, squistion said:

Who was making excuses for them? Not me. A certain percentage of idiot college kids will sign any petition put in front of them (as will some adults) and it not hard to find some who are willing to go on the record even if they have no idea what they are talking about. 

my favorite idiot "petition" clip 

Help End Women's Suffrage

49 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:
1 hour ago, glvsav37 said:

How in the world did anyone think that would be a good idea ?

🤦‍♂️

It sounds like they failed to pay attention to one of the golden rules of entertainment/media/business/life: "know your audience".

Obviously, they thought that their entire customer base would be OK with promoting conspiracy theorists and making allusions to the Holocaust. And maybe they even hoped that the story would become a "cause célèbre", and that conservatives throughout the world would come to their defense by purchasing hats just to signal their virtue and to own the libs? (aka "The Chick-fil-A effect")

Personally, I've never thought it was a good idea for businesses to wear their political beliefs on their sleeves (no pun intended). As Michael Jordan famously said when asked why he refused to get involved with politics, "Republicans buy shoes too."

• Like 1

Just now, supermike80 said:

just saw that.  Even the fact that this gets media coverage is absurd.  What a crazy world we live in.

I dunno, maybe I'm old fashioned, but I think once being a KKK pageant queen does deserve some media attention. 

• Laughing 2

Just now, squistion said:

I dunno, maybe I'm old fashioned, but I think once being a KKK pageant queen does deserve some media attention. 

Even though it was stated the event isnt related to the KKK at all.  

Nice though.

Just now, supermike80 said:

Even though it was stated the event isnt related to the KKK at all.  

Nice though.

Yes, I am sure that the white hood and robe have nothing to do with the KKK.  :coffee:

https://pagesix.com/2021/06/01/ellie-kemper-once-crowned-queen-at-controversial-ball/?_ga=2.137642800.1006964148.1622550380-1577661488.1602776528 

Each year, a person is chosen by a secret board of local elites to anonymously play the role of the Veiled Prophet, who would then choose a “Queen of Love and Beauty” to dance with and receive a gift, such as a tiara or pearls, according to The Atlantic.

The Veiled Prophet is said to be dressed with a white klan-style hood and robe while armed with a pistol and rifle.

1 minute ago, squistion said:

Yes, I am sure that the white hood and robe have nothing to do with the KKK.  :coffee:

https://pagesix.com/2021/06/01/ellie-kemper-once-crowned-queen-at-controversial-ball/?_ga=2.137642800.1006964148.1622550380-1577661488.1602776528 

Each year, a person is chosen by a secret board of local elites to anonymously play the role of the Veiled Prophet, who would then choose a “Queen of Love and Beauty” to dance with and receive a gift, such as a tiara or pearls, according to The Atlantic.

The Veiled Prophet is said to be dressed with a white klan-style hood and robe while armed with a pistol and rifle.

While illustrations of the early attire have drawn comparisons to the Ku Klux Klan, the latter wasn't formed until 1915, decades after the St. Louis event was founded.

• Laughing 1

6 minutes ago, squistion said:

If you think the only thing that attaches something to the KKK is a white hood and robe, you have issues.

The Pope wears a white hood and a robe for crying out loud

Shame on you.

• Love 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, jobarules said:

While illustrations of the early attire have drawn comparisons to the Ku Klux Klan, the latter wasn't formed until 1915, decades after the St. Louis event was founded.

So...a white supremacist group first used a white hood and robe, which the KKK just later happened to coincidentally adopt? Not a very compelling argument IMO. 

Edited by squistion

7 minutes ago, squistion said:

Spot on squis.  In fact, Ellie Kemper was also in a tv show called “The Office”.  Do you know who else had an office? Hitler

Burn Her!

i saw that on twitter...im not that humorous

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

19 minutes ago, squistion said:

So...a white supremacist group first used a white hood and robe, which the KKK just later happened to coincidentally adopt? Not a very compelling argument IMO. 

OK must be agonizing living in a world thinking everything is racist. 

1 hour ago, jobarules said:

OK must be agonizing living in a world thinking everything is racist. 

Yeah, I am funny about seeing racism in an organization with white supremacists ties that has leaders who wear a white hood and a white robe.

2 hours ago, djmich said:

Spot on squis.  In fact, Ellie Kemper was also in a tv show called “The Office”.  Do you know who else had an office? Hitler

Burn Her!

i saw that on twitter...im not that humorous

He's not serious.  I think we can all see that.  Just trying to stir it up a little. 

3 hours ago, supermike80 said:

Ha,   I know you're not.  

I think he is, and he is in the small minority of people who want to ruin someone's life over a mistake they might have made decades ago.  We all make mistakes, but beware of the Twitter mob who is ready to ruin your life over something you did 33 years ago. You have made amends since?  Too bad, you still did it, so away with you. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, squistion said:

Let's not forget it was the Democrats' KKK who adopted it.  

:pokey:

8 minutes ago, BladeRunner said:

Let's not forget it was the Democrats' KKK who adopted it.  

Irrelevant to being crowned queen at a ball in 1999 by an organization with ties to white supremacists. 

1 minute ago, squistion said:

Irrelevant to being crowned queen at a ball in 1999 by an organization with ties to white supremacists. 

Irrelevant?  The DNC has ties to White Supremacy.  Pretty CLEAR ties to boot.  Like undisputable ties.

• Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, BladeRunner said:

Irrelevant?  The DNC has ties to White Supremacy.  Pretty CLEAR ties to boot.  Like undisputable ties.

Since when?

Edited by squistion

4 minutes ago, djmich said:

What are the current ties to white supremacy groups this organization has?

I edited that comment at about the same time you were posting, see above. 

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, squistion said:

I edited that comment at about the same time you were posting, see above. 

My question is still the same, what ties does the organization currently have to white supremacist organization.  Since when...or when was the last time they had a tie to white supremacist organization.  I really don't know, but I'm not branding them with the ties either.

18 hours ago, Sea Duck said:

Stanford Federalist Society tries to cancel student who mocked them

"This retaliation against Wallace’s speech marks the height of hypocrisy for a member of the Federalist Society, which regularly champions free speech on campus—though usually for conservatives."

Wow that kid is a ####.   Its basically

Sea duck supports  a communist  dictatorship coup of government.   SD thinks its a source of legitimate govt.

24 minutes ago, quick-hands said:

Sea duck supports  a communist  dictatorship coup of government.   SD thinks its a source of legitimate govt.

yeah, Slate is so far left even Marxists call them "The Crazy Left".

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/1/2021 at 12:21 PM, squistion said:

Thank you squis for demonstrating exactly how this social media garbage works.

1) See something you don't understand.

2) See someone else say something about something they don't understand.

3) Make wild accusations that have nothing to do with anything aside from you seeing something someone else made up about something you dont understand.

4) Rinse and repeat across the masses of idiots.

eta - thus someone squis has no reason whatsoever to accuse of racism is now somehow a KKK pageant queen.

Edited by matuski
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

58 minutes ago, matuski said:

Thank you squis for demonstrating exactly how this social media garbage works.

1) See something you don't understand.

2) See someone else say something about something they don't understand.

3) Make wild accusations that have nothing to do with anything aside from you seeing something someone else made up about something you dont understand.

4) Rinse and repeat across the masses of idiots.

eta - thus someone squis has no reason whatsoever to accuse of racism is now somehow a KKK pageant queen.

That's how he rolls. 

2 hours ago, quick-hands said:

Sea duck supports a communist  dictatorship coup of government.   SD thinks its a source of legitimate govt.

:mellow:

He does?

Not sure how you got that from the article link he posted, but, carry on. 

2 hours ago, squistion said:

:mellow:

He does?

Not sure how you got that from the article link he posted, but, carry on. 

That was a parody.    Much like rep schiff parody of trumps phone call to ukraine.   Surely you remember parody.   Cuz im only gonna tell you 7 more times.   So you better get it.

10 hours ago, quick-hands said:

That was a parody.    Much like rep schiff parody of trumps phone call to ukraine.   Surely you remember parody.   Cuz im only gonna tell you 7 more times.   So you better get it.

There was no way for anyone to know that what you posted is parody. Maybe an emoji or two might have helped. 

On 6/2/2021 at 10:53 PM, Sea Duck said:

"This retaliation against Wallace’s speech marks the height of hypocrisy for a member of the Federalist Society, which regularly champions free speech on campus—though usually for conservatives."

Regular reminder that conservatives and progressives are both terrible on free speech issues.  Neither tribe has any connection to free speech as a matter of principle.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

Regular reminder that conservatives and progressives are both terrible on free speech issues.  Neither tribe has any connection to free speech as a matter of principle.

Absolutely.  People have noted that this thread tends to focus on "cancelings" coming from the left.  I don't think that's necessarily an indicator that the right has better free speech bona fides.  Rather, the cultural and institutional power currently resides almost entirely on the left, so they are the side with the outsized ability to trample free speech.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, quick-hands said:
On 6/2/2021 at 8:53 PM, Sea Duck said:

The difference between me and the conservative(s) in that story, is that I'm not going to try to cancel someone for making a very bad attempt at satire.

13 minutes ago, Sea Duck said:

The difference between me and the conservative(s) in that story, is that I'm not going to try to cancel someone for making a very bad attempt at satire.

I dont agree that is cancel.   But it may be.    But that kid was a total dick.   And im against cancel culture.   But this wasnt support for some cause.    This was boarder line libel.  Id be super pissed.

Libel

Libel is a method of defamation expressed by print, writing, pictures, signs, effigies, or any communication embodied in physical form that is injurious to a person's reputation, exposes a person to public hatred, contempt or ridicule, or injures a person in his/her business or profession.

18 minutes ago, Sea Duck said:

You might if it was your actual name in a public broadcast in print where people that matter to you see something assigned to you that you dont believe.

I doubt you would be posting a virtue signaling post saying how you agree with his right to mock you.

5 minutes ago, quick-hands said:
24 minutes ago, Sea Duck said:

You might if it was your actual name in a public broadcast in print where people that matter to you see something assigned to you that you dont believe.

I doubt you would be posting a virtue signaling post saying how you agree with his right to mock you.

Hey, maybe you're right. But that would make me a hypocrite who was deserving of public criticism.

Just like the conservatives behind the Stanford cancel fiasco.

If you're going to promote yourself as a champion of free speech -- as the Stanford Federalist Society does -- then you should be prepared to defend both sides of the coin.

You know what kind of people cry to the authorities with claims of "boarderline libel"? Woke libs.