What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The “Woke” thread (5 Viewers)

Aren’t we speaking generally about democratic America though? I’m not sure this conversation can broadly speak across multiple different cultures of men.  
Sure. We can limit it to that. I thought you were talking about the history of men in general. Men have had it worse in America, though. I never claimed that, really. If one simply looks at things from a class paradigm, lower and middle class laborers have had it much worse. I just said they were getting left behind and that feminism had usurped some traditional ways of doing and certain folkways and rendered them undesirable. 

I’m not the greatest judge of then versus now because well, I was in a band and did theater in high school. But I think my son is an interesting case study because he spent a lot of time with boys growing up in a private school setting. His school through 8th grade was coed, but the classes were separated into boys and girls classes through fifth grade. And then he went to an all boys high school for 9th-12th grade (there was a girls school right next door so there was interaction, just not in the classroom).

I wonder how he was impacted by learning in this environment. In high school he played soccer and rugby (and football his freshman year) and was definitely a “sweaty stinky boy” which was common and welcome in that environment. So he likely had more roughhouse/Neanderthal boy interactions than many (or most). And I think that was a good thing. 

But another potential outcome of that environment may be that he absolutely hates and has little tolerance for drama when it comes to girls. So it makes him come off as overly judgmental of women in the sense that he’ll simply stop hanging out with a particular girl (whether dating or just a friend) if there’s any drama at all. It’s not a toxic masculinity thing by any stretch - he’s actually really polite and respectful toward women, but he just has little patience to deal with the dynamics of male-female relationships. I wonder if he’ll find a girl that he’s willing to marry. I honestly wonder. 

Anyway, the above isn’t precisely on topic.  But I do feel that my son had a lot of that traditional rough and tumble boy upbringing and maybe it has interfered somewhat with his ability to develop deeper relationships with girls. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure. We can limit it to that. I thought you were talking about the history of men in general. Men have had it worse in America, though. I never claimed that, really. If one simply looks at things from a class paradigm, lower and middle class laborers have had it much worse. I just said they were getting left behind and that feminism had usurped some traditional ways of doing and certain folkways and rendered them undesirable. 
Sure, I get it, and fundamentally I mostly agree (I agree with the change you outline, just disagree on the reasons for the change).  But as I read it your brass tax case is that men are less manly, maybe more then ever.  I just found BR’s point, that many see the change but still feel it’s worse then ever, as being an interesting parallel with your point (lots of progress but as a result less manliness).  

To address the point as to why men are less manly today, I don’t view feminism as the root cause. It’s certainly a factor, but in my opinion a minor one. I think the Socio-economics is really the driving factor. The truth is for the majority of Americans life is physical as easy as it’s ever been in history, even for the poor.  Generally there isn’t a need for the physical dominance of men in the way that there has been in the past. It’s a waning skill set. Today men in general aren’t being required, for survival or even for being the provider, to face the challenges of it.  Add to that the cultural shift of women playing a large role in providing monetarily to the household and you get where we are.

So when it boils down to it Americas success over the last 200 years has softened us.  

We are collectively the children of the successful generations before us. That by nature breeds softness. 

Latest call for a boycott is against PepsiCo and all of its brands for donating a whopping $15,000 to the Texas GOP.   Sorry, but you can take my Cheetos when you pull them from my cold, neon orange-dusted fingers.

Latest call for a boycott is against PepsiCo and all of its brands for donating a whopping $15,000 to the Texas GOP.   Sorry, but you can take my Cheetos when you pull them from my cold, neon orange-dusted fingers.

:lol:

You and me both, brotha'!  

I'm happy to see we can agree on at least ONE thing.  :thumbup:

I don't think that the dollar amount itself is an issue. I think a $100 donation would have drawn the same reaction, which is in response to Gov. Abbott's signing the nation's most restriction abortion law into effect a few months back.

I don't know about the rest of you, but when I eat or drink something, my taste buds immediately send a signal to my brain to make me think, "Does the person who owns the company who produced this product think the same way I do?"  Crazy, ain't it? 

The day before Ilya Shapiro was set to start as the new executive director of Georgetown Law’s Center for the Constitution, he has instead been placed on administrative leave as the fallout continues from his tweet last week that President Joe Biden’s U.S. Supreme Court pick would be a “lesser black woman.”

In a letter to the law school community Monday, Georgetown Law Dean William M. Treanor said:

“I am writing to inform you that I have placed Ilya Shapiro on administrative leave, pending an investigation into whether he violated our policies and expectations on professional conduct, non-discrimination, and anti-harassment, the results of which will inform our next steps. Pending the outcome of the investigation, he will remain on leave and not be on campus. This investigation will follow the procedures established by Georgetown University.”

Shapiro tweeted last week that Chief Judge Sri Srinivasan of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit is “objectively” the best pick for the U.S. Supreme Court and that any nominee Biden selects will be a “lesser black woman.”

Shapiro later deleted the tweet, but Mark Stern, a Georgetown Law alum and staff writer at Slate, shared a screenshot of it the following morning:

“Objectively best pick for Biden is Sri Srinivasan, who is solid prog and v. smart,” Shapiro tweeted at 11:36 p.m. ET on Jan 26. “Even has identity politics benefit of being Asian (Indian) American. But alas doesn’t fit into latest intersectionality heirarchy so we’ll get lesser black woman. Thank heaven for small favors?”
https://www.law.com/2022/01/31/ilya-shapiro-placed-on-administrative-leave-day-before-starting-at-georgetown-law/?slreturn=20220031143642

Why ANYONE puts their thoughts on social media (attached to their real life identities) these days is just stupid. I don't condone actions taken against these people, but ranting against a slain cop's funeral or the racial diversity of a potential SCOTUS pick is something that you may want to keep to yourself. Wether you think you are justified or not, no one needs to know your thoughts and only bad things can happen by putting them out there. 

Why ANYONE puts their thoughts on social media (attached to their real life identities) these days is just stupid. I don't condone actions taken against these people, but ranting against a slain cop's funeral or the racial diversity of a potential SCOTUS pick is something that you may want to keep to yourself. Wether you think you are justified or not, no one needs to know your thoughts and only bad things can happen by putting them out there. 
With how polarized people are, this really applies to business owners.   

Can see him being placed on administrative leave just for exercising spectacularly poor judgment. 
If you think people should be placed on administrative leave for opposing affirmative action, what do you do with this person?

Monica Casper, dean of the College of Arts and Letters at San Diego State University, went on Twitter in December and made statements about conservatives that have led to an angry backlash that included threats of violence against the campus, The San Diego Union Tribune reported. She said, “Just so we’re clear on the Right’s agenda: racism good, abortion bad, money good, women bad, capitalism good, sustainability bad, stupidity good, science bad, power good, equality bad, white people good, nonwhite people bad. Stench, indeed.” She also said Kyle Rittenhouse’s acquittal in the fatal shooting of two people in Wisconsin was an act of white supremacy.

The tweets have caused controversy at San Diego State.

Adela de la Torre recently wrote on Twitter to defend Casper’s right to free speech. But she also chided her dean, saying, “I do not support actions that seek to divide us or undermine civic discourse for any reason.”

Casper, a sociologist, wrote to faculty members to say, “You may know that just before the winter break, I shared tweets through my personal Twitter account. Though I was not tweeting in my capacity as Dean, coverage nonetheless focused on my role here. Stories portrayed the college, the university, and me very poorly and also led to a deluge of disgusting and threatening emails … I deeply regret that SDSU was centered in the media coverage and that members of our community were hurt by the tweets. I remain committed to free speech and academic freedom—for everyone. I also remain focused on creating a humane and collegial workplace, core themes in our planning process.”
https://www.insidehighered.com/quick-takes?page=1 (paywalled, but membership is free).

I know what my feelings are on this type of thing.  Academics are allowed to express their views on controversial subjects, just like anybody else.  They're allowed to be shrill, even if I would prefer otherwise.  They shouldn't face discipline for doing so.  

With how polarized people are, this really applies to business owners.   
🙋‍♂️ I'm one. I dont put anything out on SM that could be considered questionable. Plus a lot of my clients have different political views than I do and we follow each other on SM. Sorry, red...blue....but green is my politics and their money feeds my kids regardless of their stance on anything. 

Here I might get a little deeper, but I have a sense of trust that whatever is written here, stays here. Plus I'm not as easily traceable vs the twitter or FB world.

But that said, I've seen countless normal people canceled for putting their feelings on SM. They just go after the company they work for and pressure them into knocking the poster down. And its funny (not funny) but even MSM has gotten into the habit of putting the subject's occupation or place of business in their stories.  ""So and so" who works as an (occupation) at (company), was caught posting...." Why?? Its looking to get that person fired.

If you think people should be placed on administrative leave for opposing affirmative action, what do you do with this person?

https://www.insidehighered.com/quick-takes?page=1 (paywalled, but membership is free).

I know what my feelings are on this type of thing.  Academics are allowed to express their views on controversial subjects, just like anybody else.  They're allowed to be shrill, even if I would prefer otherwise.  They shouldn't face discipline for doing so.  
Look, you’re in this world far more than I am so I largely defer to your insight and concerns on the issue. My comment wasn’t intended to be taken literally with respect to the degree to which faculty should be free to exercise their views without consequence but rather was a flippant response on how poorly the individual’s choice of words were with respect to conveying the point. 

Look, you’re in this world far more than I am so I largely defer to your insight and concerns on the issue. My comment wasn’t intended to be taken literally with respect to the degree to which faculty should be free to exercise their views without consequence but rather was a flippant response on how poorly the individual’s choice of words were with respect to conveying the point. 
Fair enough -- I'll admit that I missed the "flippant" part and probably mistook your point.

First, I want to say that I don't think Shapiro should be disciplined for what he tweeted. While inarftul (and I think wrong), there was nothing fireable about his tweet.

But I would disagree with you that academics should never face discipline at their job for tweeting things. What if he had tweeted, "Biden is wrong to appoint a black woman because all black women are inherently dumber than white men."

In that situation, the University would absolutely be right to fire him. They don't want a racist on staff.

I make this point simply to point out that there is a line that someone can cross where its appropriate to be fired from your job for the speech you make. 

First, I want to say that I don't think Shapiro should be disciplined for what he tweeted. While inarftul (and I think wrong), there was nothing fireable about his tweet.

But I would disagree with you that academics should never face discipline at their job for tweeting things. What if he had tweeted, "Biden is wrong to appoint a black woman because all black women are inherently dumber than white men."

In that situation, the University would absolutely be right to fire him. They don't want a racist on staff.

I make this point simply to point out that there is a line that someone can cross where its appropriate to be fired from your job for the speech you make. 
Yeah, this is a point of disagreement.  I would not fire a person for saying that.  I work at a public university, so in our case this would be an open and shut first amendment issue, but I would strongly disapprove of disciplining a faculty member for that statement even at a private school.

There are two quick and easy justifications for that.  The first is that universities are knowledge-producing institutions.  Theoretically, that's why these places exist.  Therefore there is a really good reason to draw the boundaries of acceptable thought very, very, very wide.  Wide enough to include all sorts of ideas that are taboo, distasteful, or just plainly wrong.  

The second issue is a little more pragmatic.  I work with colleagues who believe all kinds of crazy and hateful stuff.  I put up with it because, as I said a paragraph earlier, that's what we all signed on for and I support it as a matter of principle.  If we collectively decide that we're going to start firing faculty for their political views, legislators in my state will come after the Marxists, and I would prefer not to have to deal with that.  I won't really have a principled argument for why we're keeping those folks around in that scenario.

Yeah, this is a point of disagreement.  I would not fire a person for saying that.  I work at a public university, so in our case this would be an open and shut first amendment issue, but I would strongly disapprove of disciplining a faculty member even for that statement.

There are two quick and easy justifications for that.  The first is that universities are knowledge-producing institutions.  Theoretically, that's why these places exist.  Therefore there is a really good reason to draw the boundaries of acceptable though very, very, very wide.  Wide enough to include all sorts of ideas that are taboo, distasteful, or just plainly wrong.  

The second issue is a little more pragmatic.  I work with colleagues who believe all kinds of crazy and hateful stuff.  I put up with it because, as I said a paragraph earlier, that's what we all signed on for and I support it as a matter of principle.  If we collectively decide that we're going to start firing faculty for their political views, legislators in my state will come after the Marxists, and I would prefer not to have to deal with that.  I won't really have a principled argument for why we're keeping those folks around in that scenario.

So what is the solution to that? Don't renew the contract when it is up? Or is that too close to firing also?

Also - does your opinion differ if its a private company (not a University)?

Also - does your opinion differ if its a private company (not a University)?
Yes.  It's admittedly a harder issue for private firms, and I don't really mind a private company canning somebody who said the thing that you suggested.  I would prefer not to, but I can see why a manager would do that for business-related reasons.  

And then he went to an all boys high school for 9th-12th grade (there was a girls school right next door so there was interaction, just not in the classroom).

But another potential outcome of that environment may be that he absolutely hates and has little tolerance for drama when it comes to girls. So it makes him come off as overly judgmental of women in the sense that he’ll simply stop hanging out with a particular girl (whether dating or just a friend) if there’s any drama at all. It’s not a toxic masculinity thing by any stretch - he’s actually really polite and respectful toward women, but he just has little patience to deal with the dynamics of male-female relationships. I wonder if he’ll find a girl that he’s willing to marry. I honestly wonder. 
I did the first, as well, so familiar with the setting.  If it's any consolation I don't know of a guy in my class that didn't get married.

I’m more offended that these Georgetown future lawyers need a safe space and are crying.  What happens when a court case goes against them?

I’m more offended that these Georgetown future lawyers need a safe space and are crying.  What happens when a court case goes against them?
I'm not sure if he's the guy who came up with this or not, but I picked up the term "crybullies" from Andrew Sullivan.  It's a really nice neologism to describe our new ruling class.

bigbottom said:
Can see him being placed on administrative leave just for exercising spectacularly poor judgment. 
If this was the bar our past two presidents would have a lot of time off.

I doubt this is widespread, but I would guess it is going on in some woke districts ....

Schools across America implement BLM Week of Action that calls for 'disruption of Western nuclear family'

Week of action curriculum centers itself around 13 'Black Lives Matter Guiding Principles'

By Houston Keene | Fox News

Schools across America are implementing the Black Lives Matter at School Week of Action curriculum that calls for the "disruption of Western nuclear family dynamics."

The week of action started on Monday in several schools from Washington state to Massachusetts, bringing to classrooms the activist-based curriculum that preaches controversial ideas.

According to the week of action "starter kit" published on the Black Lives Matter at School website, the group has a list of four "national demands" that include funding "counselors not cops" and mandating "Black History and Ethnic Studies" in classrooms.

Additionally, the week of action curriculum centers itself on the 13 "Black Lives Matter Guiding Principles," which include concepts such as "Black Villages" and "Globalism."

"Black Villages is the disruption of Western nuclear family dynamics and a return to the ‘collective village’ that takes care of each other," the starter kit reads. "Globalism is our ability to see how we are impacted or privileged within the Black global family that exists across the world in different regions."

"Most rational thinkers agree that public schools should not be home to political activism, from any side of the political divide, but public schools across America, from Boston to Seattle, have opened their doors for activist teachings from the divisive Black Lives Matter political organization," Parents Defending Education vice president of investigations Asra Nomani said in a statement.

"Under the cover of a week of action, called ‘Black Lives Matter at School,’ children as young as five years old are being trained how to be political activists," Nomani continued. "What we are witnessing is state-sponsored political indoctrination, using coloring books, downloadable slide shows and contests to teach a next generation ‘social justice activism,’ in the program’s own words."

"We need radicalization out of schools, especially as children struggle with learning loss from the pandemic, and reading, writing and arithmetic back in schools," Nomani added.

Whoopi Goldberg deserves mention here. She's getting pilloried by the "woke" aspect of Judaism relations and their organizations, and she doesn't seem (to me) to have made an egregious error. Probably not a thoughtful one, but one that doesn't deserve suspension. 

Ridiculous, though if you can show me that "Jews are not a race" is typically an anti-Semitic trope, then I'll defer. It would seem categorizing religions as race is more prone to abuse of that race from a government perspective than anything else. No census question asks if Jews are a race in America. 

This is all some bull. 

Whoopi Goldberg deserves mention here. She's getting pilloried by the "woke" aspect of Judaism relations and their organizations, and she doesn't seem (to me) to have made an egregious error. Probably not a thoughtful one, but one that doesn't deserve suspension. 

Ridiculous, though if you can show me that "Jews are not a race" is typically an anti-Semitic trope, then I'll defer. It would seem categorizing religions as race is more prone to abuse of that race from a government perspective than anything else. No census question asks if Jews are a race in America. 

This is all some bull. 
Yah, I’d tend to agree

This is all some bull. 
Not a Goldberg fan. But I really hate suspensions and firings for wrong think and or misspeak. I don’t care who you are or what you say. I’d rather hear it and know what I’m dealing with. If you were misunderstood or taken out of context or you just maybe  need to be corrected fine. Let’s just stop the hyperventilating and over reaction. Whoopi doesn’t hate Jews as far as I know. Some people claim to be Jews by faith. They may not actually be Hebrews as in a race or lineage from Judea. But aren’t we all from Adam ultimately anyway? 

Some people claim to be Jews by faith. They may not actually be Hebrews as in a race or lineage from Judea.
This is part of my point that I made in the Rogan thread. Even among Jews, there is a debate regarding whether they are a "race" or a "religion." At least I thought there was a debate. I could be wrong. I think it's so confusing, that even somebody like me who means well when it compares to respecting our Jewish brethren and sisters can put a large foot in one's mouth. 

Should she have been aware that the Nazis categorized the Jews as a "race?" Probably. Does that mean she was really far off in describing it as "man's inhumanity to man?" No. She wasn't even really wrong, per se, it's just that she wasn't using the perspective of race from a WWII Germanic point of view. And like I asked in the other thread -- since when does wartime WWII Germany determine how we view racial classifications?  

Whoopi is sort of a sacrifice imo, there’s so much canceling going on when it comes to any comments race or religion related, it feels like a “see we cancel when it’s black people misspeaking about race too”.  

If it was a straight up white diss she’d probably be ok, but Jews rank one small notch higher on the totem pole.

This is part of my point that I made in the Rogan thread. Even among Jews, there is a debate regarding whether they are a "race" or a "religion." At least I thought there was a debate. I could be wrong. I think it's so confusing, that even somebody like me who means well when it compares to respecting our Jewish brethren and sisters can put a large foot in one's mouth. 

Should she have been aware that the Nazis categorized the Jews as a "race?" Probably. Does that mean she was really far off in describing it as "man's inhumanity to man?" No. She wasn't even really wrong, per se, it's just that she wasn't using the perspective of race from a WWII Germanic point of view. And like I asked in the other thread -- since when does wartime WWII Germany determine how we view racial classifications?  
I think the whole racial classification thing is a tired concept. It’s being used as a way to stir the pot for us in the slave class. Keep us throwing undeserved stones at each other instead of them. Comedians can’t even tell jokes anymore because everyone is a victim now. We’re all divided. Men vs women. Rs vs Ds. Race vs race etc etc. They keep micro dividing everything and everyone against each other so no one joins forces to make things better for all.

I would say that if we're just talking about her initial comments there was an overreaction.  But after she KNEW she had made a mistake and had apologized for it, she went on Stephen Colbert's show and doubled down on the stupid.  That's when she got suspended and, given what has happened to others for much less, she should have been and still should be fired.  Until the same standards apply to both "sides" you won't see change so she needs to be held to the same standards that get conservatives canceled daily.

Until the same standards apply to both "sides" you won't see change so she needs to be held to the same standards that get conservatives canceled daily.
This is just trading scalps, then. There's nothing in this line of argument that makes me sanguine. It's like arguing that since Marxists hold farmers to a certain income standard, it's okay and fine that they at least hold merchants to the same. It's a problem with the proposed framework or intolerance towards speech that I have, not its unevenness in application that raises my dander. 

It's like insisting that an awful law be applied to more people. It makes no sense. 

rockaction said:
This is just trading scalps, then. There's nothing in this line of argument that makes me sanguine. It's like arguing that since Marxists hold farmers to a certain income standard, it's okay and fine that they at least hold merchants to the same. It's a problem with the proposed framework or intolerance towards speech that I have, not its unevenness in application that raises my dander. 

It's like insisting that an awful law be applied to more people. It makes no sense. 

I agree with you 100%.  However, until I see evidence to the contrary, I'm pretty convinced we're screwed as a country.  It started in places like CA and NY and is slowly spreading throughout the rest of the country, especially as people from places like CA and NY get sick of those places, move to more rational places, and then proceed to infect those places with the same disease they were trying to get away from.  You think this cancel stuff is going to change?  I don't.  So why should lefties like Caryn Johnson be immune to it?  How ironic that her real name is Caryn.

It started in places like CA and NY
I disagree that it started in NY and CA. It started in the festering rot that is the universities and their liberal arts departments. Garbage being taught and wild theories being given truck, often hostile to free inquiry.

You think this cancel stuff is going to change?  I don't.
I don't know. I think if we can hold the fort long enough, it might. I think the gotcha game of stringing everybody up by their thumbs is going to provoke quite the backlash. It already has. One party has gone so far as adopting that backlash as political capital. The Republican Party is legitimately warning its voters of cancellations and "wokeness" in their institutions and organizations.

It has spread so wide that I think of the many times recently where an accused malfeasant or criminal in the past year or so has complained of being "cancelled" (whether they have been is beside the point) by "woke" entities. It's a catch phrase everybody understands, yet so many people who speak their mind seem so powerless to stop it. Corporations have been especially craven in yielding to the social media and media mob pressure (and this implicates the media in many ways). 

It'll stop though, by hook or by crook. No one can exist this way for too long. Overweening and censorious impulses will cut at a person's self-respect and at one's thymotic pride if one cannot fully express cogent and intelligent arguments, not to mention humorous asides.

An even application of this cravenness and hostility to people who engage in debate or speaking in public is not what I had in mind as a good remedy. 

Users who are viewing this thread