Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

“Cancel Culture” and “Woke”


Recommended Posts

23 hours ago, Manster said:

What was she doing then?

How would I know what was going through her head?   Just interesting that you jumped to the conclusion that she was just doing it to impress the lefties in Hollywood, and not just something on her own.  

Edited by KarmaPolice
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That was way too long a post.  Gordon Gekko is looking at that and wondering why I couldn't tighten it up a little.

Cancelling an awards show might be the best thing ever to emerge from the woke movement.  If they cancel the Oscars, I might become pro-woke.

Right-wingers do something dumb: "Look at those right-wingers.  What a bunch of dummies." Progressives do something dumb: "Look at those right-wingers complaining about that thing we did.  What a

3 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

What is the synopsis of that link?  

Caveat is that I spent less than 3 min reading:

Dude is a teacher and wrote thoughts that there were unwoke (one was anti reparations).

Was doxxed by woke and @'d his school that he shouldn't be teaching black kids or any kids.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, djmich said:

Caveat is that I spent less than 3 min reading:

Dude is a teacher and wrote thoughts that there were unwoke (one was anti reparations).

Was doxxed by woke and @'d his school that he shouldn't be teaching black kids or any kids.

 

 

What specifically did he say?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

What specifically did he say?

Ur killin me smalls!

Quote

South Jersey Giants

@SouthJerzGiants

·

Feb 17

Suppose your great-great-grandfather murdered someone. The victim’s great-great-grandson knocks on your door, shows you the newspaper clipping from 1905, and demands compensation from you. Your response? Now get this racist reparation bull#### out of your head for good.

Was in response to an AP tweet that Joe Biden studying reparations.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, djmich said:

Ur killin me smalls!

Was in response to an AP tweet that Joe Biden studying reparations.

Thanks.  Sorry - I really hate reading and scrolling through Twitter to read info.    I was curious what you were posting.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, djmich said:

Math

So far he hasn't been fired yet. The only action the University has taken is to have its official twitter post that they will look into it.

He does not have tenure and is on a 1 year contract. 

For what it's worth, this guy also sued his former University because they fired him for taking underage students to a nightclub.

It appears this guy is a drama queen and snowflake.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have this idea.  It is of a mat with different conclusions that you could jump to.  I'll call it a "Jump to Conclusions Mat."

  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, djmich said:

@timschochet  saw this in my feed and interested in your take.  Imaginary?  The sort of discussion you think should no longer belong in our society?

Link...duh

No it’s not imaginary. There are some people who were rude to him, and unfair. 
I have no problem looking at each of these situations individually and making judgments based on the facts. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, massraider said:

Some people make it their life's mission to cancel people. This is clearly miserable and wrong. 

https://twitter.com/GillesLaurent20/status/1363896707549921286?s=19

Trump was terrible when it came to freedom of speech issues.  If people weren't so dug-in on this one, you would think that his administration might have caused some people to rethink their opposition to Citizens United.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

Nice article.  As recently as a few years ago, I was deeply skeptical of the notion of ever seeing a major political realignment in my lifetime.  Now I think that such a realignment is more likely than not.  Specifically, I feel increasingly confident that the Republican party will double down on white nationalism and become even more emphatically the party of the modal voter (white, Christian, straight, married, etc.) leaving the Democrats to be the party of everybody else.  I read a similar essay along these lines a few weeks ago, but I don't recall who wrote or where, or I would give the author credit for putting it that way.  

In other words, the realignment that I expect is most likely going to be along identity lines, not ideological lines.  I think that really sucks, but it's my genuine best guess that I would be willing to bet on if for some reason we absolutely had to make a bet on this issue.

That said, I've been thinking recently about some of our various intellectual allegiances have changed recently.  If a person was active in the FFA fifteen years ago, we spent a massive amount of time debating religion.  In those debates, people like me occupied one "side," while prominent voices on the other "side" included people like Sam Harris and Christopher Hitchens who claimed to be free thinkers who just wanted to be free from what they viewed as superstition.  I can't help but notice that an awful lot of folks (not all of course) who once identified with the new atheist movement have transitioned to one degree or another into the anti-woke camp, which is honestly pretty refreshing since they actually meant it when they said they didn't like irrationality and cultiness.   

My views on religion haven't changed and theirs haven't either, but we've both reacted similarly and predictably to this new, illiberal quasi-religious awakening.  I could easily imagine some sort of common ground here along the lines of "Believe what you want on your own time, but don't force me to attend your Sunday school classes or anti-racism struggle sessions." 

Obviously that's not enough for a political party, but you get the idea.    

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing about the article that I can't shake; however, is its first premise rests on an assumption that may be faulty. When asked if they have more fear of reprisal for stating their true political opinions, Democrats show an increase from years prior. Fair enough. But is that due to the left-wing or PC cancel culture as the article assumes? Or is it due to the newfound, uh, energies of the right? In other words, are they afraid of left-wing cancel culture, or are they worried about agitated right-wingers cancelling them? The study posits that if X (afraid of cancel culture), then Y (there's a potential coalition of neo-liberals to be had), but it sort of just assumes X exists rather than consider what I mention in this paragraph.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, joffer said:

Yah, I think people are doing it on purpose but there is an intentional conflating of "cancel culture" and "being a piece of ####".

Attacking people and trying to get them fired or otherwise in trouble for having a viewpoint (sometimes controversial) different from yours:  Cancel Culture.

Saying you want not part of someone that is racist or anti-semetic, etc, etc and denouncing them:  All good.

Its like folks can't understand the difference... 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, djmich said:

Yah, I think people are doing it on purpose but there is an intentional conflating of "cancel culture" and "being a piece of ####".

Attacking people and trying to get them fired or otherwise in trouble for having a viewpoint (sometimes controversial) different from yours:  Cancel Culture.

Saying you want not part of someone that is racist or anti-semetic, etc, etc and denouncing them:  All good.

Its like folks can't understand the difference... 

You prefer this example:

https://twitter.com/GillesLaurent20/status/1363896707549921286?s=19

 

Conservatives and progressives have both attempted boycotts, "canceling" people, getting people fired, and on and on for a looooong time.  It's a great example of 'both sides do it!'

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rockaction said:

One must wonder on what merits did Young Pharoah get invited in the first place?

Right, this isn't one terrible little opinion he had buried underneath a bunch of free trade and family vales dogma.  Guy was pretty upfront.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, massraider said:

Right, this isn't one terrible little opinion he had buried underneath a bunch of free trade and family vales dogma.  Guy was pretty upfront.

People of Jewish descent and pharaohs apparently don't mix. He called them "lying thieving Jews," if my short term recall is correct, according to Twitter. Hard to believe he'd been really coy about things in the past. Politics, though, make strange bedfellows and I'll allow the possibility that he could have been in keeping with a CPAC issue or two.

Edited by rockaction
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jobarules said:

Every time someone gets fired or forced to resign or called out for being an ### (particularly in highly visible leadership roles) and/or harassing women....wrong to lump that in with cancel culture.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, djmich said:
43 minutes ago, joffer said:

Yah, I think people are doing it on purpose but there is an intentional conflating of "cancel culture" and "being a piece of ####".

Seems to me that the whole point of "cancel culture" is not to conflate, but to redefine what it means to act like a piece of crap.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sea Duck said:

Seems to me that the whole point of "cancel culture" is not to conflate, but to redefine what it means to act like a piece of crap.

I understand your point and think it is very valid.  People draw lines in different places... I think though a lot of pretty crummy examples are being used.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sea Duck said:

:shrug:

He's got a YouTube channel where he posts conspiracy theories. Gets a lot o' clicks.

I sort of figured. Any time one denies the existence of a religion and calls the people practicing that religion "thieves" and "liars," he's probably not too removed from conspiratorial stuff. I sort of guessed that in my head, if I'm being honest.

CPACs nuttiness has gone from simple, palatable, and somewhat correct at times cranks (Ron Paul) to QAnon in a heartbeat. It's a shame to watch. Unfit to govern.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, djmich said:

Yah, I think people are doing it on purpose but there is an intentional conflating of "cancel culture" and "being a piece of ####".

Attacking people and trying to get them fired or otherwise in trouble for having a viewpoint (sometimes controversial) different from yours:  Cancel Culture.

Saying you want not part of someone that is racist or anti-semetic, etc, etc and denouncing them:  All good.

Its like folks can't understand the difference... 

I’m not sure where or how to draw that line 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, djmich said:

Yah, I think people are doing it on purpose but there is an intentional conflating of "cancel culture" and "being a piece of ####".

Attacking people and trying to get them fired or otherwise in trouble for having a viewpoint (sometimes controversial) different from yours:  Cancel Culture.

Saying you want not part of someone that is racist or anti-semetic, etc, etc and denouncing them:  All good.

Its like folks can't understand the difference... 

It's the part where people lie about the second thing. It starts out as a simple lie that if repeated enough becomes the narrative. With enough time, you can cancel anyone. 

Take Gina Carano. All this nonsense started because someone asked her to put her pronouns in her bio on Twitter and she said no. Didn't insult. Didn't scoff. Just said no thanks and moved on. Every since then, twitter has labeled her a transphobe and has been after her head. They've lied about her being racist. Lied about her saying she thought Covid was a hoax. Lied about her being anti semetic. Anyone that takes a good 20 minutes to read her tweets would find none of those accusations true but they harassed her for nearly a year on twitter along with Disney themselves until finally she was fired from her job for having a different political opinion than her employer. An otherwise up and coming actress, who's a strong, independent woman that fans love and people look up to is branded with a scarlet letter for the world to admonish and attack according to the mob.

That's cancel culture.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, IvanKaramazov said:
12 hours ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

Nice article.  As recently as a few years ago, I was deeply skeptical of the notion of ever seeing a major political realignment in my lifetime.  Now I think that such a realignment is more likely than not.  Specifically, I feel increasingly confident that the Republican party will double down on white nationalism and become even more emphatically the party of the modal voter (white, Christian, straight, married, etc.) leaving the Democrats to be the party of everybody else.  I read a similar essay along these lines a few weeks ago, but I don't recall who wrote or where, or I would give the author credit for putting it that way.  

In other words, the realignment that I expect is most likely going to be along identity lines, not ideological lines.  I think that really sucks, but it's my genuine best guess that I would be willing to bet on if for some reason we absolutely had to make a bet on this issue.

I'm not disagreeing with your overall point, but I think that your concept of the "modal voter" needs to be updated for the 21st century. The Trump movement isn't just for purely 'white' people, as Ted Cruz can tell you...and as Nikki Haley could have told you until about a week ago, lol.

And we don't care if you're divorced, either.

And while being a Christian is still important, I feel like the whole "observant" thing is gradually being de-emphasized.

Basically, the club is open to everyone who puts America first and has a general distaste for liberalism.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Roy L Fewks said:

I'm not disagreeing with your overall point, but I think that your concept of the "modal voter" needs to be updated for the 21st century. The Trump movement isn't just for purely 'white' people, as Ted Cruz can tell you...and as Nikki Haley could have told you until about a week ago, lol.

And we don't care if you're divorced, either.

And while being a Christian is still important, I feel like the whole "observant" thing is gradually being de-emphasized.

Basically, the club is open to everyone who puts America first and has a general distaste for liberalism.

Exactly.

Being liberal doesn't mean that you're not racist or bigoted. It just means that you tell people you're not racist or bigoted or sexist for votes.  But behind closed doors it's a completely different story. 

The Democratic party isn't about equality, or free speech, or the party of the blue collar worker.  They're the party of class and race warfare.  For them, it's about revenge and payback.  Don't believe me? Then I will gladly point you to what's currently going on in South Africa as an example of where this is all leading to.   Revenge and payback.

They're also the party of socialist agendas and are ready to root out anyone who doesn't bend the knee.  Give them enough power and this won't be any different than what we've already seen in the 20th century with far left regimes.

Edited by BladeRunner
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Insein said:

It's the part where people lie about the second thing. It starts out as a simple lie that if repeated enough becomes the narrative. With enough time, you can cancel anyone. 

Take Gina Carano. All this nonsense started because someone asked her to put her pronouns in her bio on Twitter and she said no. Didn't insult. Didn't scoff. Just said no thanks and moved on. Every since then, twitter has labeled her a transphobe and has been after her head. They've lied about her being racist. Lied about her saying she thought Covid was a hoax. Lied about her being anti semetic. Anyone that takes a good 20 minutes to read her tweets would find none of those accusations true but they harassed her for nearly a year on twitter along with Disney themselves until finally she was fired from her job for having a different political opinion than her employer. An otherwise up and coming actress, who's a strong, independent woman that fans love and people look up to is branded with a scarlet letter for the world to admonish and attack according to the mob.

That's cancel culture.

Is this an accurate portrayal of what happened to her?  You are suggesting she said or Tweeted nothing offensive; simply refused to list her pronouns and Twitter canceled her as a result?  Is that your arguement?  Cam you provide some sources for this please? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BladeRunner said:

Exactly.

Being liberal doesn't mean that you're not racist or bigoted. It just means that you tell people you're not racist or bigoted or sexist. But behind closed doors it's a completely different story.

The Democratic party isn't about equality, or free speech, or the party of the blue collar worker.  They're the party of socialist agendas and are ready to root out anyone who doesn't bend the knee.  Give them enough power and this won't be any different than what we've already seen in the 20th century with far left regimes.

If the doors are closed, how do you know what's being said?  :confused:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

If the doors are closed, how do you know what's being said?  :confused:

 

We got to peek into it when the 2016 emails from the DNC were hacked.

Of course we always have Harvey Weinstein, brett ratner and all other kinds of liberal celebrities as well.  And that's just off the top of my head.

But in all reality, everyone knows what's really going on.  It's pretty evident If you open your eyes and look for it.  

Edited by BladeRunner
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, massraider said:

You prefer this example:

https://twitter.com/GillesLaurent20/status/1363896707549921286?s=19

 

Conservatives and progressives have both attempted boycotts, "canceling" people, getting people fired, and on and on for a looooong time.  It's a great example of 'both sides do it!'

Could clarify where you're going with this one?  If your point is that Trump was terrible and those of us who value free speech should have a problem with Trump, I agree with you wholeheartedly and I'm glad you're on board.

If your point is that Trump was terrible and therefore the rest of us shouldn't care about this issue, that's incoherent.  

Or are you saying that Trump was good and the rest of us should be against free expression just like he was?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, BladeRunner said:

We got to peek into it when the 2016 emails from the DNC were hacked.

Of course we always have Harvey Weinstein, brett ratner and all other kinds of liberal celebrities as well.  And that's just off the top of my head.

But in all reality, everyone knows what's really going on.  It's pretty evident If you open your eyes and look for it.  

So if everyone knows what's really going on and there  are no more closed doors, how are the Democrats doing so much winning? 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Roy L Fewks said:

I'm not disagreeing with your overall point, but I think that your concept of the "modal voter" needs to be updated for the 21st century. The Trump movement isn't just for purely 'white' people, as Ted Cruz can tell you...and as Nikki Haley could have told you until about a week ago, lol.

And we don't care if you're divorced, either.

And while being a Christian is still important, I feel like the whole "observant" thing is gradually being de-emphasized.

Basically, the club is open to everyone who puts America first and has a general distaste for liberalism.

As a conservative, I wish the Republican elected officials put America first as much as they say they do.  That goes for Trump also.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, General Malaise said:

Is this an accurate portrayal of what happened to her?  You are suggesting she said or Tweeted nothing offensive; simply refused to list her pronouns and Twitter canceled her as a result?  Is that your arguement?  Cam you provide some sources for this please? 

Enjoy the recap.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IvanKaramazov said:

Could clarify where you're going with this one?  If your point is that Trump was terrible and those of us who value free speech should have a problem with Trump, I agree with you wholeheartedly and I'm glad you're on board.

If your point is that Trump was terrible and therefore the rest of us shouldn't care about this issue, that's incoherent.  

Or are you saying that Trump was good and the rest of us should be against free expression just like he was?

It's interesting that your take is Trump was against free expression when he was the one banned from speaking in the public forum because they didn't like what he had to say.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IvanKaramazov said:

Could clarify where you're going with this one?  If your point is that Trump was terrible and those of us who value free speech should have a problem with Trump, I agree with you wholeheartedly and I'm glad you're on board.

If your point is that Trump was terrible and therefore the rest of us shouldn't care about this issue, that's incoherent.  

Or are you saying that Trump was good and the rest of us should be against free expression just like he was?

Trump is the clearest example that cancel culture is a tool both liberals and conservatives use.

This is just a small pushback against the notion that it is simply a weapon of the left.  

Both sides try and cancel.  One is simply not very good at it.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Insein said:

From what I've read (besides your link), she's a good example of Cancel Culture.  I haven't seen that she said anything racist, sexist, or otherwise terrible.  She doesn't 100% support exactly what the woke want her to support...so she gone.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, massraider said:

Trump is the clearest example that cancel culture is a tool both liberals and conservatives use.

This is just a small pushback against the notion that it is simply a weapon of the left.  

Both sides try and cancel.  One is simply not very good at it.  

I'm not sure Trump is a good example of cancel culture.  WWE culture maybe.

But agree on the "both sides" point.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...