Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

The Republican Civil War is over: Trump has won, his opponents have surrendered.

Was this Fort Sumter for the GOP? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/02/16/politics/trump-mcconnell/index.html

Trump: Mitch McConnell is a dour, unsmiling, political hack. And he blames him for losing the majority. 

There are always internal fights in political party, always some pretty big divides. But I don’t recall, ever, the two most powerful people in one of the parties at each other’s throats quite like this. 

Edited by timschochet
  • Laughing 1

This is all great by me. I believe “eat their own” gets tossed out all the time around here.

Trump in normal fashion doesn’t address the actual issue and gets onto something else entirely for people to argue about.

Good luck Mitchell!!

Just now, BladeRunner said:

You want this so bad that you see it in everything.  Ain't happening, Tim, no matter how hard you stretch.

Yeesh.

Mitch said Trump is personally and morally responsible for an attack on the Capitol.

Trump responds with this.

Seems like this is happening despite what FBG posters say about it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The General said:

Mitch said Trump is personally and morally responsible for an attack on the Capitol.

Trump responds with this.

Seems like this is happening despite what FBG posters say about it.

Seems like you guys just want to read into anything to support your preconceived notions.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

1 minute ago, The General said:

This is all great by me. I believe “eat their own” gets tossed out all the time around here.

Trump in normal fashion doesn’t address the actual issue and gets onto something else entirely for people to argue about.

Good luck Mitchell!!

Trump, to the best of my knowledge, hasn’t addressed an issue, but goes out of his way to attack the people he perceived as a threat. I’m glad he’s not in a position of power anymore.

• Thanks 2

I'd say this is a fissure, at least. Very rare to hear the top ranking members of a party speak about each other that way. Buckle up. We're going for the soul of the party with two soulless men fighting it out.

That seems sort of paradoxical, doesn't it?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BladeRunner said:

Seems like you guys just want to read into anything to support your preconceived notions.

The leader of the GOP in the Senate said the ex-President is morally and practically responsible for the attack on the Capitol.

Trump blasts him with all this. Personal attacks on his wife, calls him weak, etc.

What am I missing here, please tell me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Kal El said:

Trump, to the best of my knowledge, hasn’t addressed an issue, but goes out of his way to attack the people he perceived as a threat. I’m glad he’s not in a position of power anymore.

Exactly, it’s his MO. It’s his number one move.

5 minutes ago, Kal El said:

In terms of the GOP and support he receives from the base, I’d say Trump’s power is pretty strong at the moment. 

Not sure what Mitch has planned but no doubt this is what he expected. If he wanted Trump convicted, I’m sure he could have done it. My guess is that he was trying to protect the senators and relying on justice system to take Trump out. Not sure I’d be that confident.

1 minute ago, BladeRunner said:

Huh?  You make no sense.  Which 2 people have been the most powerful players in the Republican party over the last 5 years?  You don't think they despise one another.  It's right there in the article.  

If Nancy Pelosi and Joe Biden were talking about each other in the same way, I don't think anyone on this board would have a problem saying there's a civil war amongst Democrats.  I'm not sure why you think this is preposterious.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, timschochet said:

Meanwhile Adam Kizinger’s family sent him a public letter, calling him a disappointment to God and admonishing him for joining the “Devil’s Army”. 
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1257989

That will make for some interesting convo over hot dogs at the next family shindig.

2 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Meanwhile Adam Kizinger’s family sent him a public letter, calling him a disappointment to God and admonishing him for joining the “Devil’s Army”. 

Wow, I'm jealous.  Wish I could do something to get the crazies in my family out of my life.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, timschochet said:

So odd the lengths people will go for the man.  I have yet to see what about him is Godly or appealing to anyone who claims to follow the teachings of Christ.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Trump waited until after Impeachment was over so as to not lose any more votes.  Mitch has been an absurdly Republican Republican to the point of blocking most of what Dems wanted to do.  He held the troops largely together through two impeachments.  

The GOP lost the Senate because they wouldn't distance themselves from Trump and continued to drive the stolen election narrative.  

Mitch is the face of the old guard of Republicans and Trump the "new guard."  

This is like when the NWO split, and ultimately WCW died.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

So odd the lengths people will go for the man.  I have yet to see what about him is Godly or appealing to anyone who claims to follow the teachings of Christ.

You have to be kidding. You don’t just get the nickname Father Trump for nothing. :shrug:

3 minutes ago, tonydead said:

You have to be kidding. You don’t just get the nickname Father Trump for nothing. :shrug:

You mean other than blasphemy to try and get internet strangers to react.  Yeah, thats something I guess.

• Laughing 2

36 minutes ago, The General said:

The leader of the GOP in the Senate said the ex-President is morally and practically responsible for the attack on the Capitol.

Trump blasts him with all this. Personal attacks on his wife, calls him weak, etc.

It's nothing like some random teacher in SF complaining about old white guys. Now that's real "eating your own" politically. 

Edited by Mile High
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Once upon a time, a woman was picking up firewood. She came upon a poisonous snake frozen in the snow. She took the snake home and nursed it back to health. One day the snake bit her on the cheek. As she lay dying, she asked the snake, "Why have you done this to me?" And the snake answered, "Look, #####, you knew I was a snake."

Edited by Thunderlips
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

You mean other than blasphemy to try and get internet strangers to react.  Yeah, thats something I guess.

Blasphemy? That's a serious charge fella, going to need a link for that. Only credible Father Trump sources please.  

2 minutes ago, Thunderlips said:

Once upon a time, a woman was picking up firewood. She came upon a poisonous snake frozen in the snow. She took the snake home and nursed it back to health. One day the snake bit her on the cheek. As she lay dying, she asked the snake, "Why have you done this to me?" And the snake answered, "Look, #####, you knew I was a snake."

Shakespeare?  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tonydead said:

Blasphemy? That's a serious charge fella, going to need a link for that. Only credible Father Trump sources please.  

Calling him Father with a capital F is the definition of blasphemy especially in rhe context of that discussion.  Not playing your games man.  

• Like 1

It’d be a GOP Civil War if McConnell responded in any other way other than complete and utter fealty. But he won’t. He’s a Republican and will completely bend the knee. That’s what cults of personality do.  My favorite, classic Trump part of that statement is when he went after Mitch because of his “China family ties”. You know, his wife. Who also sat in Trump’s cabinet all 4 years...lolz.

• Like 3
  • Laughing 1

6 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

Calling him Father with a capital F is the definition of blasphemy especially in rhe context of that discussion.  Not playing your games man.  

Please link to this definition. I am unaware of such capital F blasphemy.  I looked up the definition in Merriam Webster and Wkik. No mention of Father Trump.  

Did you know blasphemy is a capital crime in Muslim nations? Are you saying people should be killed for saying Father Trump?  

1 hour ago, The General said:

Desperation to have a counter point.  It’s desperation you are missing.

6 minutes ago, Roy L Fewks said:

Geez, exaggerate much? This is just a couple of alphas snorting at each other and marking territory. Give it a few days and it'll all blow over.

Hmm. You could be right...but I don’t think I’m exaggerating what’s happening right now. Guess we’ll see. 

• Laughing 1

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I hope a new Republican Party emerges.  And I don’t say that as a dem - I say it as an independent that could find a home in a patriotic Republican Party - not in the joke it’s been.

That won’t happen until the existing one suffers major defeats- which, if Trump carries through on his apparent determination to purge anyone who opposes him, could happen as soon as 2022. 
Because there has never been, in the history of the Republican Party, a greater divergence between what the majority of the public want and what the majority of Republicans want. 

1 hour ago, timschochet said:

In terms of the GOP and support he receives from the base, I’d say Trump’s power is pretty strong at the moment. 

True, but now his whims aren’t official national policy. Let him fight McConnell, let them tear the GOP apart, maybe we’ll get a decent conservative party rising from the ashes that is willing to work together with liberals and not fight for the sake of fighting.

13 minutes ago, timschochet said:

That won’t happen until the existing one suffers major defeats- which, if Trump carries through on his apparent determination to purge anyone who opposes him, could happen as soon as 2022. 
Because there has never been, in the history of the Republican Party, a greater divergence between what the majority of the public want and what the majority of Republicans want. 

Not even the Civil War? Jeesh. That's an overstatement.

1 hour ago, The General said:

Good luck Mitchell!!

I'd like to take credit for this. A lifetime of political op-ed hackery led me to popularize this phrase around here, I believe. Same with pooh-pooh in the Shark Pool, which I use often. I think I'd be okay by God if I deemed myself responsible for those. And a few others. He'd just be upset with my lack of humility on those fronts.

• Thinking 1

• timschochet changed the title to The Republican Civil War is over: Trump has won, his opponents have surrendered.