What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Republican Civil War is over: Trump has won, his opponents have surrendered. (1 Viewer)

Our priest in a homily just days before the November election said without naming any individual or party,” that a candidate doesn’t have to have good character for you to vote for them and certainly one of the candidates doesn’t“. I found this absurd. All just to justify voting for the pro-life candidate. But as the church is apologizing and paying millions for its sexual abuse scandals I have expectations that a priest not have character issues. Father Trump....I definitely think not.
  :loco:  You have expectations, but go on to tell us how bad your priest is. 

Father Trump > Catholic Priests.  

How do perceive McConnells strength?
Not as strong as it was. 
Up until January 6, I had called Mitch the most powerful man in Washington. All of Trump’s accomplishments were actually Mitch’s accomplishments: the tax cut, the judges, etc. Mitch also halted all or most of Trump’s populist/nativist agenda. 
But on January 7 Mitch decided that Trump had to go and had it leaked to the media that he thought the day before was an impeachable offense. I think he was expecting the GOP to join him. They didn’t. That forced Mitch to back off and he’s been in a weak position ever since. That’s how I see it anyhow. 

No you don't..you claimed Mitch didn't win anything without Trump's blessing.  Mitch had been winning long before Trump was doing anything with him.  It was crystal clear...
If it was crystal clear to you, then why did you ask a question?  Let me guess.... trying to create a good discussion point?  No way on Earth it was a thoughtless gotcha post, amirite?

timschochet said:
Meanwhile Adam Kizinger’s family sent him a public letter, calling him a disappointment to God and admonishing him for joining the “Devil’s Army”. 
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1257989
Yeah, that's pretty bad.  Seriously.  

I'm also thinking about all the lefties who shut out there families the last 4 years because of Trump.  I hope you were just as concerned and outraged then too.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it was crystal clear to you, then why did you ask a question?  Let me guess.... trying to create a good discussion point?  No way on Earth it was a thoughtless gotcha post, amirite?
I think he needles us to get us to say something ban worthy. The few of us remaining on the other side need cancelled.  

Back on topic, Mitch was behind in the polls until Trump vouched for him.  Fact.  

Yeah, that's pretty bad.  Seriously.  

I'm also thinking about all the lefties who shut out there families the last 4 years because of Trump.  I hope you were just as concerned then too.
I was. I got personally involved in a couple of those, defending some Trump supporting relations of mine. 

But what I don’t understand is your constant need to try and point out “both sides” every time there is a story like this. You and a couple of other posters always do this and it’s incredibly tiresome. We get it: liberals can do bad things too. It’s not relevant to the discussion. 

I was. I got personally involved in a couple of those, defending some Trump supporting relations of mine. 

But what I don’t understand is your constant need to try and point out “both sides” every time there is a story like this. You and a couple of other posters always do this and it’s incredibly tiresome. We get it: liberals can do bad things too. It’s not relevant to the discussion. 
The reason I point it out is because it's so hypocritical. :shrug:

Liberals pointing to the letter that Kinzinger got are completely tone deaf to their own hypocrisy.  Watching you guys get mad about this just makes me laugh because all I remember the last four years is liberals justifying shutting out their family members.

But, yes, in a vacuum that letter he got was ridiculous.

The reason I point it out is because it's so hypocritical. :shrug:

Liberals pointing to the letter that Kinzinger got are completely tone deaf to their own hypocrisy.
I’m the one that brought up the letter in this thread. I didn’t behave hypocritically nor am I tone deaf. Your raising the issue is completely irrelevant. 

Anybody saying this isn't news is arguing, again, like most of the Trump supporters have done for four years, in bad faith. The former president just called the head of the party he still seeks to influence a "dour political hack" and the current top ranked member of the party had implied that the person who called him that was a criminal.

That's news, fellas, whether you like it or not. It's...unprecedented.

No you don't..you claimed Mitch didn't win anything without Trump's blessing.  Mitch had been winning long before Trump was doing anything with him.  It was crystal clear...
No.  It's generally true that people can't understand you with all the spelling errors, ......s, runons, etc.  Maybe have someone proofread your posts?

No idea what you’re referring to.When I started this thread I didn’t post some opinion piece predicting civil war inside the GOP; I posted news: a statement by Trump filled with insults about McConnell, which was in reaction to a speech by McConnell that essentially called Trump a criminal. You do what you want with that news; I thought it was worth discussing. 
The headline calls it a "Republican Civil War" which is quite different than a couple of Republicans insulting each other.  The headline is a hyperbole of wishful thinking.  

The headline calls it a "Republican Civil War" which is quite different than a couple of Republicans insulting each other.  The headline is a hyperbole of wishful thinking.  
A”couple of Republicans”??

Yeah I think there’s a civil war going on in the GOP right about now. Don’t you believe that’s a reasonable assumption to make? 

Oddly enough I also agree with Trump about Mitch being dour and a hack. Crossing the aisles today.

So do I. But I also agree with Mitch about Trump being a criminal. 
Yep. I made the same comment previous to this one.

I agree with like 10% of the things that both these guys say yet they are both right here. It’s a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma. 

Made possible I suppose because, as he always does, Don didn’t address the issue Mitch brought up and instead went after him personally. 

Is anyone really shocked that Trump blamed Mitch for the division of the party?  

Trump never accepts responsibility for things that he does wrong, but takes credit for things that other people do right.
Was going to post this but @Kal Elbeat me to it. Nothing...absolutely nothing Trump has jacked up is his fault. "It was a beautiful plan that I gave to XXXXXXX, he's the one you should mad at."

I think he needles us to get us to say something ban worthy. The few of us remaining on the other side need cancelled.  

Back on topic, Mitch was behind in the polls until Trump vouched for him.  Fact.  
So...to backtrack here.  

Getting clarification from someone saying Mitch can't win without Trump's blessing (when Mitch has been around a long time) is trying to needle someone to say something ban worthy?  Like what would a response to such a questioning be worthy of a ban?

Mitch was never going to lose...with or without Trump.

Interesting notes about the "civil war" in the GOP. It seems like the intellectual rift is there and the populace is still following the intellectuals, or maybe the intellectuals are clearly expressing what is bubbling up from the body politic. I would urge people to check out these three short pieces and see where the fissure is.

The first, by Geoff Shullenberger argues that the right is essentially using the same tactics as the left did in the culture war, precisely because the main large institutions of society have been captured by the left.

https://outsidertheory.com/right-marcuseanism/

The second, by a various group of conservative religious intellectuals, gets to programmatic concerns that arise from the dead consensus of the Cold Warriors on the grounds that autonomy concerns of the old consensus right are no longer applicable nor desirable

https://www.firstthings.com/web-exclusives/2019/03/against-the-dead-consensus

The third fleshes out in intellectual detail why this consensus has failed (hint: it's the left's fault) and lays the intellectual foundational groundwork for the primacy of non-autonomous thinking and living in practice. 

https://www.firstthings.com/web-exclusives/2019/05/against-david-french-ism

If I could grab it and cite it, I would. It was glaringly on another platform I was looking at, though, and I immediately thought of its use on this board. They were using it in the religious sense.
Like in a funny, shtick way or serious. Either way super weird :lol:

I don’t get Mitchell’s vote. Was pretty laughable, his explanation for his vote. But he’s spot on with Trump being responsible for the insurrection.  
I REALLY don't get Mitch's vote.  I can't see Mitch running again in 6 years.  I think he sees the direction the party is headed in, and it scares the hell out of him.  He needed that symbolic gesture of trying to split the party from Trump.  Just makes zero sense.

Users who are viewing this thread