What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Republican Civil War is over: Trump has won, his opponents have surrendered. (2 Viewers)

Oh, I read your statement wrong.
It’s not over issues. Many Republican ideas remain popular with the public. It’s over Trump and the conspiracy stuff. The majority of Republican voters seem to really be into that, and the majority of Americans just aren’t. 

Last edited by a moderator:
And yes, I'm only half-kidding about all of that. I'm flowery. #####, get off my train. This is my wedding day!

It’s not over issues. Many Republican ideas remain popular with the public. It’s over Trump and the conspiracy stuff. The majority of Republican voters seem to really be into that, and the majority of Americans just aren’t. 
I'd totally agree with that.

I hope a new Republican Party emerges.  And I don’t say that as a dem - I say it as an independent that could find a home in a patriotic Republican Party - not in the joke it’s been.
The Republican party isn't going to split up. People just need to process the loss and blow off some steam. By 2022 we'll all be focused on the usual stuff (taxes/guns/abortion/economy) and it'll be one big tent again.

I'd like to take credit for this. A lifetime of political op-ed hackery led me to popularize this phrase around here, I believe. Same with pooh-pooh in the Shark Pool, which I use often. I think I'd be okay by God if I deemed myself responsible for those. And a few others. He'd just be upset with my lack of humility on those fronts.
You don’t think He’d be disappointed by your pretty obvious membership in the Devil’s Army? 

Please link to this definition. I am unaware of such capital F blasphemy.  I looked up the definition in Merriam Webster and Wkik. No mention of Father Trump.  

Did you know blasphemy is a capital crime in Muslim nations? Are you saying people should be killed for saying Father Trump?  
Attempted derailment aside, Trump has done absolutely nothing to make anyone think he is in any way Godlike, to the point that I don’t think he has ever opened a Bible of his own volition. Attempting to equate such a person with the Almighty is such an alien concept that I am forced to believe that any such attempt is a poor attempt at satire.

You don’t think He’d be disappointed by your pretty obvious membership in the Devil’s Army? 
I posted that letter in another thread. I'm beginning to see how crazy this administration has made people, both for and against (bof sidez). I always noticed the against, never really noticed how crazy it had made adamantly pro-Trump folks until I couldn't sleep the night of 1/5, really. Then I began to realize how badly this has gone for overall civility and domestic tranquility. I knew they were gonna do something, I just didn't know what. When I got the news that the QAnoners and other right-wing groups had stormed the Capitol, I wasn't surprised. Merely sickened.

I'd like to take credit for this. A lifetime of political op-ed hackery led me to popularize this phrase around here, I believe. Same with pooh-pooh in the Shark Pool, which I use often. I think I'd be okay by God if I deemed myself responsible for those. And a few others. He'd just be upset with my lack of humility on those fronts.
I thought you were an atheist.

Attempted derailment aside, Trump has done absolutely nothing to make anyone think he is in any way Godlike, to the point that I don’t think he has ever opened a Bible of his own volition. Attempting to equate such a person with the Almighty is such an alien concept that I am forced to believe that any such attempt is a poor attempt at satire.
It is satire. tonydead is having his way with you guys, and you're getting wrapped up in what seems to me to be obvious irony. tonydead, IIRC (and correct me if I'm wrong, tony) has serious problems with the Catholic Church given the pedophilia scandal that ravaged the Church.

I thought you were an atheist.
Shhh...not in front of God.

And I'm an agnostic who hopes that there is God and that this isn't all for nothing but just existence. Spent my mid-twenties depressed by the lack of evidence of God and almost never came back.

A physical altercation between these 2 would be something.
My money, and this in no way supports or endorses him, is on Trump for the win and in less than a round. Unless, as pointed out before, there's a ramp there and he falls on his ###.

Turtle gonna do what he does and turtle in the fight.

Shhh...not in front of God.

And I'm an agnostic who hopes that there is God and that this isn't all for nothing but just existence. Spent my mid-twenties depressed by the lack of evidence of God and almost never came back.
The time is so little, the time belongs to us. Why is everybody in such a ####### rush? 

A lot of people dont equate godlike to the bible.  

God of Thunder - Rock'n Roll

God of Politics - Father Trump.  

My money, and this in no way supports or endorses him, is on Trump for the win and in less than a round. Unless, as pointed out before, there's a ramp there and he falls on his ###.

Turtle gonna do what he does and turtle in the fight.
Mitch might study the dark arts. 

It is satire. tonydead is having his way with you guys, and you're getting wrapped up in what seems to me to be obvious irony. tonydead, IIRC (and correct me if I'm wrong, tony) has serious problems with the Catholic Church given the pedophilia scandal that ravaged the Church.
Well, that's one reason. 

Mitch might study the dark arts. 
True, but I'm just channeling Occam here. His only dark art is in the judiciary. However he pulled off that deal with the devil, I'll never know. But the devil always gets your soul, friend.

/begin serious segue

I don't see any sunset for Trump. Too many people have pointed out to me and it's sunk in that he's going to be sued and prosecuted big time. His best recourse? The seat of the Presidency. He'll claim executive privilege and people will have to make long and arguments about how the Constitution holds him accountable as a citizen. It's going to be very difficult and frustrating. I hope to God for our democracy that he doesn't win in 2024. That's why I urge Democrats to govern from the center and keep the landslide popular advantage that they have.

/end seriousness

As do I, and I’m not Catholic either.

True, but I'm just channeling Occam here. His only dark art is in the judiciary. However he pulled off that deal with the devil, I'll never know. But the devil always gets your soul, friend.

/begin serious segue

I don't see any sunset for Trump. Too many people have pointed out to me and it's sunk in that he's going to be sued and prosecuted big time. His best recourse? The seat of the Presidency. He'll claim executive privilege and people will have to make long and arguments about how the Constitution holds him accountable as a citizen. It's going to be very difficult and frustrating. I hope to God for our democracy that he doesn't win in 2024. That's why I urge Democrats to govern from the center and keep the landslide popular advantage that they have.

/end seriousness
Don’t know if you heard Biden tonight but he appears to firmly be in the center. He came out (again) against defunding police, and also against relieving student debt. Much of the progressive agenda is not his. 

/begin serious segue

/end seriousness
Never seen Mitch and the dude from Return of the Jedi who Darth Vader tosses to save Luke in the same room is all I’m saying.

To the serious part, that does make a lot of sense. But, Biden is the right guy for the job and really struggle to see how Trump could win again nationally. Way too hated by too many people. 

As do I, and I’m not Catholic either.
I feel like now's the time to say "same here." I was raised Catholic but have never really gotten too deeply into the Christian faith because I'm generally not a Christian, just a Christian sympathizer.

That scandal cost the Church a lot of its flock, my mother and my aunt as two examples. Still saw the Sistine Chapel in Rome when I went to Italy. The Vatican is a breathtaking place, and Michelangelo's painting of the Chapel leaves one both at awe and at peace at the same time.

I feel like now's the time to say "same here." I was raised Catholic but have never really gotten too deeply into that part of Christian faith because I'm generally not a Christian, just a Christian sympathizer.

That scandal cost the Church a lot of its flock, my mother and my aunt as two examples. Still saw the Sistine Chapel in Rome when I went to Italy. The Vatican is a breathtaking place, and Michelangelo's painting of the Chapel leaves one both at awe and at peace at the same time.
I’ve never been there, but it sounds interesting at least from an artistic perspective. I grew up Baptist, but I joke that I’m in recovery from that. My church is technically affiliated with the Southern Baptists, but it’s very tenuous. We pretty much stick to the Gospel, reaching the community, and helping each other out when we can.

/begin serious segue

/end seriousness
Biden is president and the senate is 50/50 with a West Va dem. I expect us to be governed like the bolded the next 2 years. I also expect the left and the right to try and break them. We'll see if either is successful. 

The General said:
Never seen Mitch and the dude from Return of the Jedi who Darth Vader tosses to save Luke in the same room is all I’m saying.

To the serious part, that does make a lot of sense. But, Biden is the right guy for the job and really struggle to see how Trump could win again nationally. Way too hated by too many people. 
As long as Biden is still there, Trump will get beaten handily.  Especially with Biden being the incumbent.  He just takes too much of the centrist vote for Trump to have a chance.  Trump knew this when he tried to muddy him up with the Ukraine/Hunter Biden thing.

My worry is that Biden retires.  

Chaz McNulty said:
Did you read the article GoBirds?  It's OK to begrudgingly agree with the other side when it's staring you in the face.  
Don’t need to, the amount of real estate Trump still has in your heads says it all. What’s staring everyone in the face is how you all can’t move on, so can you agree and finally do it?

:popcorn:

Biff84 said:
Not sure what Mitch has planned but no doubt this is what he expected. If he wanted Trump convicted, I’m sure he could have done it. My guess is that he was trying to protect the senators and relying on justice system to take Trump out. Not sure I’d be that confident.
“will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

This is part of the oath a President takes and what many feel President Trump failed to do following his election loss. But it’s going to be hard to make what he failed to do a crime as a non civil servant. Not impossible but much more difficult.

tonydead said:
You have to be kidding. You don’t just get the nickname Father Trump for nothing.  :shrug:
Our priest in a homily just days before the November election said without naming any individual or party,” that a candidate doesn’t have to have good character for you to vote for them and certainly one of the candidates doesn’t“. I found this absurd. All just to justify voting for the pro-life candidate. But as the church is apologizing and paying millions for its sexual abuse scandals I have expectations that a priest not have character issues. Father Trump....I definitely think not.

Roy L Fewks said:
The Republican party isn't going to split up. People just need to process the loss and blow off some steam. By 2020 we'll all be focused on the usual stuff (taxes/guns/abortion/economy) and it'll be one big tent again.
Problem for the GOP is it won’t be a “big tent“ but rather a “small tent”

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwib0b2QgPHuAhUGK80KHSuWAJ8QFjAAegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.npr.org%2F2021%2F02%2F01%2F962246187%2Fspurred-by-the-capitol-riot-thousands-of-republicans-drop-their-party&usg=AOvVaw3nyw3uNl7fWfgHQykLbWT6

Pretty much anytime the GOP loses an election, the media is proclaiming its death and a victory for their communists utopia.  
When the outgoing president is blamed publicly for inciting a riot at the Capitol by the Senate leader from his own party, then the ex-president in turn calls the Senate leader a weak, loser who cowers to China the media usually takes notice.

To be fair this hasn't happened too often so maybe this is an overreaction. 

When the outgoing president is blamed publicly for inciting a riot at the Capitol by the Senate leader from his own party, then the ex-president in turn calls the Senate leader a weak, loser who cowers to China the media usually takes notice.

To be fair this hasn't happened too often so maybe this is an overreaction. 
Yeah, the reality is, after a few months of Biden's idiotic energy policies and potentional tax increases, these forces will be united.  Not that Trump won't throw an occassional bomb, but nothing unites like a common enemy. 

Yeah, the reality is, after a few months of Biden's idiotic energy policies and potentional tax increases, these forces will be united.  Not that Trump won't throw an occassional bomb, but nothing unites like a common enemy. 
We shall see. Right now it appears Mitch and any moderate Republican is Trump's enemy.

Trump can't win another election but he can certainly wreck many moderate GOP running in 2 years.

tonydead said:
Are you saying people should be killed for saying Father Trump?  
I'm pretty sure that is EXACTLY what he is saying.

It's hard for me to overlook the pettiness of the man, guess it doesn't bother some :shrug:

A person familiar with the crafting of the statement confirmed that it could have been far worse. An earlier draft mocked McConnell for having multiple chins, the person said. But Trump was convinced by advisers to take it out.

“There was also a lot of repetitive stuff and definitely something about him having too many chins but not enough smarts,” the person said.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/02/16/trump-attacks-mcconnell-in-fiery-statement-469150

The Dude said:
I hope a new Republican Party emerges.  And I don’t say that as a dem - I say it as an independent that could find a home in a patriotic Republican Party - not in the joke it’s been.
Yeah.  This one really has gone down a bad rabbit hole.  

Pretty much anytime the GOP loses an election, the media is proclaiming its death and a victory for their communists utopia.  
No idea what you’re referring to.When I started this thread I didn’t post some opinion piece predicting civil war inside the GOP; I posted news: a statement by Trump filled with insults about McConnell, which was in reaction to a speech by McConnell that essentially called Trump a criminal. You do what you want with that news; I thought it was worth discussing. 

Users who are viewing this thread