What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Refrigerator Repair - Any ideas? (1 Viewer)

Godsbrother

Footballguy
12 year old whirlpool side by side refrigerator/freezer in my downstairs bar not working since Saturday or Sunday.  Neither side gets cold.

1. the external coils underneath fridge were a little dusty but not bad and I did clean them. 
2. I can hear the compressor click on initially when I turn the temp control from off to on 
3. the compressor fan is on, run capacitor tests OK
4. removed panel inside freezer: evaporator is fan working
5. the very top of coil inside freezer gets cold and frosts up a little
6. bottom of coil is cool but not cold even after running for a while

I suspect either the defrost thermostat (located on the coil) or the thermostat assembly (with the temp control) are faulty.   I'm thinking I'll order both to be safe and replace one at a time to see if that brings it back to life.  The only other thing it could be is lack of freon but not sure how that would have happened.

Any ideas on anything else to check before I spend $130?

12 year old whirlpool side by side refrigerator/freezer in my downstairs bar not working since Saturday or Sunday.  Neither side gets cold.

1. the external coils underneath fridge were a little dusty but not bad and I did clean them. 
2. I can hear the compressor click on initially when I turn the temp control from off to on 
3. the compressor fan is on, run capacitor tests OK
4. removed panel inside freezer: evaporator is fan working
5. the very top of coil inside freezer gets cold and frosts up a little
6. bottom of coil is cool but not cold even after running for a while

I suspect either the defrost thermostat (located on the coil) or the thermostat assembly (with the temp control) are faulty.   I'm thinking I'll order both to be safe and replace one at a time to see if that brings it back to life.  The only other thing it could be is lack of freon but not sure how that would have happened.

Any ideas on anything else to check before I spend $130?
Go on RepairClinic.com    tThey have videos for every kind of repair.

Been awhile but from what I remember- there are only three things to check,

Fan, relay and compressor. 

The fan you hear so that’s easy. The relay is cheap and the compressor is.not. 

Since I’m an idiot who doesn’t know how to use multimeters ( @Cowboysfan8 😂), I just replaced the relay. If that didn’t work then it would be the compressor  and if that’s broke, you’re likely better off buying a new fridge. 

Thanks.  Fans are okay and I think the compressor is fine too.  I'll check the relay and defrost thermostat. 

Awww, come on guys, it's so simple maybe you need a refresher course.   Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads, and then you are gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State.

Awww, come on guys, it's so simple maybe you need a refresher course.   Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads, and then you are gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State.
sonofa.... beat me to it

Users who are viewing this thread