What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rush Limbaugh - 2.17.21 R.I.P. (2 Viewers)

Didn’t always agree with him but always appreciated how good he was at his craft.  It amazes me that certain people can just talk for 4 hours every day and still be popular.  He had such a great voice which is always underrated in my opinion.  Just heard he wasn’t a college grad.

Didn’t always agree with him but always appreciated how good he was at his craft.  It amazes me that certain people can just talk for 4 hours every day and still be popular.  He had such a great voice which is always underrated in my opinion.  Just heard he wasn’t a college grad.
I talked to him once.

Another life ago.  He did have a good radio voice.  He went way too far off the deep end for me awhile ago but that seems to be a running theme with me these past 20ish years.

Hope he found peace and family and friends do now.

He was definitely good at what he did and made a sort of empire out of it.

I talked to him once.

Another life ago.  He did have a good radio voice.  He went way too far off the deep end for me awhile ago but that seems to be a running theme with me these past 20ish years.
Just curious as I didn’t listen to him much - what positions did he take that were over the top?  

Just curious as I didn’t listen to him much - what positions did he take that were over the top?  
I'd be lying if I gave you a list.  I can't remember the last time I listened to him and couldn't tell you what the final straw was either to be honest.  Like I said, another life ago.

After due consideration I have decided to delete my initial thoughts on Mr. Limbaugh. I will simply say that I wasn’t a fan. 

I will say this: he was one of the great innovators in history, a genius in his field who did it better than anyone else. Condolences to his family. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The single most responsible person for the political mess that we find ourselves in today. I blame him more than anyone else for many of our current misfortunes, so it would be very hypocritical for me to say kind words about him now. 
I will say this: he was one of the great innovators in history, a genius in his field who did it better than anyone else. Condolences to his family. 
You should try to be more Jewish.    Don't speak ill of the dead.

I'd like to tell you this is your crappiest I've ever read by you. 

You should have said nothing. 

I don't know.  I think I tried listening to him for a little bit and the guy just comes off as a huge ### to me but that is just me.  Still feel sorry for the family.

The single most responsible person for the political mess that we find ourselves in today. I blame him more than anyone else for many of our current misfortunes, so it would be very hypocritical for me to say kind words about him now. 
It's your opinion and you are entitled to it, but your first sentence is hogwash (IMHO).

He had a big vocabulary and, by the accounts I've heard, was very gracious and nice in person.

His legacy, I think, is that, for better or for worse, he did more than anyone else to popularize politics by bringing interest in Capitol Hill to the masses.

RIP and condolences to his family. Spent many an afternoon listening to him on the radio from noon-three in our small office where I worked as an accountant's assistant in my late twenties and early thirties. He was on the downswing then, his show and delivery not as vital, marred by scandal and approbation. I miss that place and that time, not for the politics of Rush or talk radio, but for the memories it invokes and the people involved. Plus, I was young and still had hope.

Delete your post then and sit this one out.  Geez

RIP and condolences to his family. Spent many an afternoon listening to him on the radio from noon-three in our small office where I worked as an accountant's assistant in my late twenties and early thirties. He was on the downswing then, his show and delivery not as vital, marred by scandal and approbation. I miss that place and that time, not for the politics of Rush or talk radio, but for the memories it invokes and the people involved. Plus, I was young and still had hope.
There was another guy from Georgia?  I think that we would listen to... Neal Borts?  He was funnier.

There was another guy from Georgia?  I think that we would listen to... Neal Borts?  He was funnier.
I wouldn't really know. It wasn't the talk radio content per se, it was the size of the office, the familial quality of it -- that you listened to controversial shows that you didn't necessarily agree with (or that you did) and everyone had differing opinions on each topic, but nobody made too much of their own personal baggage or, heck, nobody even mentioned or talked about what was coming out of the portable transistor the sixty year-old secretary had at her desk; and there was a sense of quiet belonging and common purpose at hand. Just a nice place to be at for a while after a tumultuous mid-twenties. Probably saved my life.

Family should be celebrating a great life and career. Meal of Freedom award winner. Instant radio icon hall of fame.

Sad to say some people showing their true colors with some of the posts isn't surprising.  

Bortz was funnier than Hannity and Rush by far - he was smarter than both of them (IMO) and also meaner, more sarcastic and he acted like he pretty much hated everybody.  All 3 were on WSB radio in Atlanta - Bortz and Hannity being from the station and Rush syndicated. 

Bortz was funnier than Hannity and Rush by far - he was smarter than both of them (IMO) and also meaner, more sarcastic and he pretty much hated everybody.  All 3 were on WSB radio in Atlanta - Bortz and Hannity being from the station and Rush syndicated. 
Yeah - I still remember his skit on the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide.  Giggling even thinking about it.

Two classless people so far in here.

I certainly didn't agree with everything he had to say, but he was undoubtedly a genius in what he did and has had a huge impact on the fabric of the US.  We are poorer without his talent around.  Condolences to his family.

Limbaugh later later struck a more serious tone as he sought to explain "who we conservatives are."

"We love people," Limbaugh said."We see human beings. We don't see groups. We don't see victims. We don't see people we want to exploit. What we see is potential. We do not look out across the country and see the average American, the person that makes this country work."

"We do not see that person with contempt. We don't think that person doesn't have what it takes. We believe that person can be the best he or she wants to be if certain things are just removed from their path like onerous taxes, regulations and too much government," he continued."We want this to be the greatest country it can be, but we do understand, as people created and endowed by our Creator, we're all individuals. We resist the effort to group us. We resist the effort to make us feel that we're all the same; that we're no different than anybody else. We're all different."

"There are no two things or people in this world who are created in a way that they end up with equal outcomes. That's up to them."

He definitely had a more populist / everyman vibe in the early days, and a younger, more conservative me liked him early on.

But he took a turn - for me, it started around the "Contract with America" time - politics went from disagreeing to vilifying, and it turned me off, because he was one of the cheerleaders of that mindset.  I haven't listened to him in more than 20 years.    

RIP. 

Never really a listener.   Certainly haven't listened to him in decades.   Putting on political radio in my car would be equivalent to shoving needles into my eyes.

However----certainly changed the radio game.  One of the biggest radio personalities ever.    

Cancer sucks

But it’s okay for Trump to speak ill of just about everyone? Living, dead, women, men, abled, disabled? Why is everyone okay with that? Just curious. 
Do we not think we should aim to be better than Trump?

Why is Trump's behavior the new standard?  Can we STOP making every thread about Trump Trump Trump.

This place is unbearable because we can't talk about any issue without it turning into "Well Trump did this and you guys wanna clutch your pearlz now?  Lol you hyprocritez!!111

Can we just agree that it's bad form to speak ill of the dead?  Or are we going to let Trump define the standard?

I had a job driving around a truck in college in Southern Indiana in mid 90’s. Lots of long drives between stops. 

I was flipping around and Rush was on a station and he was going on about we can’t have a black President. I don’t believe I had much clue what talk radio was, much less political radio. I stopped and was like what the hell, how can he say this on radio. He went on for a good minute or two. Kept dancing around the subject and then said....I will tell you why after the break.

I listened to like 10 minutes of whatever the crap ads he had. 

His answer was something stupid but I remember he got me to listen to all those ads.

His TV show was a staple in the fraternity house.  Pretty entertaining, tbh.  Net worth of $500mm.  Hard to achieve that sort of number without being tops in your craft. 
Surprised he pulled the plug on it so soon.  It was quite entertaining.  Not sure when he took the turn from political comedy to being mean for lack of a better term.  His empire was built on his creative political humor and satire.  IMO he just rode his own coattails after Clinton moved on.  He was at his best when the opposition was in power and became unlistenable when his guys were in power.  I'm wondering if some of the late night guys struggle with this as Trump becomes a memory and we get deeper in the Biden years.

Rush was a voice for conservatives. But he also made unnecessary and cruel remarks about HIV deaths during the beginning of the AIDS crisis ("I'll never love this way again"), accused Michael J Fox of exaggerating his Parkinson's symptoms, accused several women of being sluts  (Kamala and the law student who took birth control). He apologized to Fox and later said he was insensitive to play the Dione Warwick song. This is part of his legacy.

Agreed.

If you're going to call out tim and dozer then you have to call out Limbaugh for the same.
I actually don't feel the need to call out a dead man for bad behavior.  He's dead.  It won't change it. It won't affect anything.

I know what Rush is.  I guess I have higher expectations of @timschochet.  And I think since Tim changed his post, he also has higher expectations of himself.  

Do we not think we should aim to be better than Trump?

Why is Trump's behavior the new standard?  Can we STOP making every thread about Trump Trump Trump.

This place is unbearable because we can't talk about any issue without it turning into "Well Trump did this and you guys wanna clutch your pearlz now?  Lol you hyprocritez!!111

Can we just agree that it's bad form to speak ill of the dead?  Or are we going to let Trump define the standard?
Were you this upset when Trump denigrated John McCain after his death?

Users who are viewing this thread