Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Rush Limbaugh - 2.17.21 R.I.P.


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Then dont post anything. Seriously. 

This thread sucks. I've noticed it on Twitter. Whole lot of left-wingers and do-gooders can't contain themselves and need indeed to shovel dirt on him before he's even in the grave. This is like the S

This is an underrated point that it would be useful to keep in mind.  Regardless of what you think about Rush, everybody should be able to agree that he wouldn't sit around wringing his hands over peo

Didn’t always agree with him but always appreciated how good he was at his craft.  It amazes me that certain people can just talk for 4 hours every day and still be popular.  He had such a great voice which is always underrated in my opinion.  Just heard he wasn’t a college grad.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ekbeats said:

Didn’t always agree with him but always appreciated how good he was at his craft.  It amazes me that certain people can just talk for 4 hours every day and still be popular.  He had such a great voice which is always underrated in my opinion.  Just heard he wasn’t a college grad.

I talked to him once.

Another life ago.  He did have a good radio voice.  He went way too far off the deep end for me awhile ago but that seems to be a running theme with me these past 20ish years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Yankee23Fan said:

I talked to him once.

Another life ago.  He did have a good radio voice.  He went way too far off the deep end for me awhile ago but that seems to be a running theme with me these past 20ish years.

Just curious as I didn’t listen to him much - what positions did he take that were over the top?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ekbeats said:

Just curious as I didn’t listen to him much - what positions did he take that were over the top?  

I'd be lying if I gave you a list.  I can't remember the last time I listened to him and couldn't tell you what the final straw was either to be honest.  Like I said, another life ago.

Link to post
Share on other sites

After due consideration I have decided to delete my initial thoughts on Mr. Limbaugh. I will simply say that I wasn’t a fan. 


I will say this: he was one of the great innovators in history, a genius in his field who did it better than anyone else. Condolences to his family. 

Edited by timschochet
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, timschochet said:

The single most responsible person for the political mess that we find ourselves in today. I blame him more than anyone else for many of our current misfortunes, so it would be very hypocritical for me to say kind words about him now.

Then dont post anything. Seriously. 

  • Like 14
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, timschochet said:

The single most responsible person for the political mess that we find ourselves in today. I blame him more than anyone else for many of our current misfortunes, so it would be very hypocritical for me to say kind words about him now. 
I will say this: he was one of the great innovators in history, a genius in his field who did it better than anyone else. Condolences to his family. 

You should try to be more Jewish.    Don't speak ill of the dead.

I'd like to tell you this is your crappiest I've ever read by you. 

You should have said nothing. 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Come on Tim....

Rush gave a voice to those who were abandoned by what was being presented, or in many cases not presented, in the media.  The media abandoned any appearance of impartiality, and Rush filled that void.

  • Like 3
  • Love 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, timschochet said:

The single most responsible person for the political mess that we find ourselves in today. I blame him more than anyone else for many of our current misfortunes, so it would be very hypocritical for me to say kind words about him now. 
I will say this: he was one of the great innovators in history, a genius in his field who did it better than anyone else. Condolences to his family. 

It's your opinion and you are entitled to it, but your first sentence is hogwash (IMHO).

Link to post
Share on other sites

He had a big vocabulary and, by the accounts I've heard, was very gracious and nice in person.

His legacy, I think, is that, for better or for worse, he did more than anyone else to popularize politics by bringing interest in Capitol Hill to the masses.

Link to post
Share on other sites

RIP and condolences to his family. Spent many an afternoon listening to him on the radio from noon-three in our small office where I worked as an accountant's assistant in my late twenties and early thirties. He was on the downswing then, his show and delivery not as vital, marred by scandal and approbation. I miss that place and that time, not for the politics of Rush or talk radio, but for the memories it invokes and the people involved. Plus, I was young and still had hope.

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, timschochet said:

The single most responsible person for the political mess that we find ourselves in today. I blame him more than anyone else for many of our current misfortunes, so it would be very hypocritical for me to say kind words about him now. 
I will say this: he was one of the great innovators in history, a genius in his field who did it better than anyone else. Condolences to his family. 

Delete your post then and sit this one out.  Geez

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rockaction said:

RIP and condolences to his family. Spent many an afternoon listening to him on the radio from noon-three in our small office where I worked as an accountant's assistant in my late twenties and early thirties. He was on the downswing then, his show and delivery not as vital, marred by scandal and approbation. I miss that place and that time, not for the politics of Rush or talk radio, but for the memories it invokes and the people involved. Plus, I was young and still had hope.

There was another guy from Georgia?  I think that we would listen to... Neal Borts?  He was funnier.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Yankee23Fan said:

There was another guy from Georgia?  I think that we would listen to... Neal Borts?  He was funnier.

I wouldn't really know. It wasn't the talk radio content per se, it was the size of the office, the familial quality of it -- that you listened to controversial shows that you didn't necessarily agree with (or that you did) and everyone had differing opinions on each topic, but nobody made too much of their own personal baggage or, heck, nobody even mentioned or talked about what was coming out of the portable transistor the sixty year-old secretary had at her desk; and there was a sense of quiet belonging and common purpose at hand. Just a nice place to be at for a while after a tumultuous mid-twenties. Probably saved my life.

Edited by rockaction
Link to post
Share on other sites

Family should be celebrating a great life and career. Meal of Freedom award winner. Instant radio icon hall of fame.

Sad to say some people showing their true colors with some of the posts isn't surprising.  

Edited by tonydead
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Yankee23Fan said:

There was another guy from Georgia?  I think that we would listen to... Neal Borts?  He was funnier.

Bortz was funnier than Hannity and Rush by far - he was smarter than both of them (IMO) and also meaner, more sarcastic and he acted like he pretty much hated everybody.  All 3 were on WSB radio in Atlanta - Bortz and Hannity being from the station and Rush syndicated. 

Edited by AAABatteries
ETA - I don't think Bortz actually hated folk so changed the wording a little to reflect my thoughts.
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

Bortz was funnier than Hannity and Rush by far - he was smarter than both of them (IMO) and also meaner, more sarcastic and he pretty much hated everybody.  All 3 were on WSB radio in Atlanta - Bortz and Hannity being from the station and Rush syndicated. 

Yeah - I still remember his skit on the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide.  Giggling even thinking about it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, dozer said:

I’m glad his voice will no longer contribute to the division in America.

Gotta love it-don't agree with a person so blame him.  Rachael Maddow would be proud.

wow.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Two classless people so far in here.

I certainly didn't agree with everything he had to say, but he was undoubtedly a genius in what he did and has had a huge impact on the fabric of the US.  We are poorer without his talent around.  Condolences to his family.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sand said:

Two classless people so far in here.

I certainly didn't agree with everything he had to say, but he was undoubtedly a genius in what he did and has had a huge impact on the fabric of the US.  We are poorer without his talent around.  Condolences to his family.

When someone wants to show you who they are, believe them.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Limbaugh later later struck a more serious tone as he sought to explain "who we conservatives are."

"We love people," Limbaugh said."We see human beings. We don't see groups. We don't see victims. We don't see people we want to exploit. What we see is potential. We do not look out across the country and see the average American, the person that makes this country work."

"We do not see that person with contempt. We don't think that person doesn't have what it takes. We believe that person can be the best he or she wants to be if certain things are just removed from their path like onerous taxes, regulations and too much government," he continued."We want this to be the greatest country it can be, but we do understand, as people created and endowed by our Creator, we're all individuals. We resist the effort to group us. We resist the effort to make us feel that we're all the same; that we're no different than anybody else. We're all different."

"There are no two things or people in this world who are created in a way that they end up with equal outcomes. That's up to them."

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, quick-hands said:

You should try to be more Jewish.    Don't speak ill of the dead.

I'd like to tell you this is your crappiest I've ever read by you. 

You should have said nothing. 

Tim being Tim

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

He definitely had a more populist / everyman vibe in the early days, and a younger, more conservative me liked him early on.

But he took a turn - for me, it started around the "Contract with America" time - politics went from disagreeing to vilifying, and it turned me off, because he was one of the cheerleaders of that mindset.  I haven't listened to him in more than 20 years.    

RIP. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Just now, kodycutter said:

When someone wants to show you who they are, believe them.  

 

16 minutes ago, knowledge dropper said:

You have to be a real ghoul to immediately take this opportunity to get in a shot.  It’s best to say nothing and move along.  

Agreed.

If you're going to call out tim and dozer then you have to call out Limbaugh for the same.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Never really a listener.   Certainly haven't listened to him in decades.   Putting on political radio in my car would be equivalent to shoving needles into my eyes.

However----certainly changed the radio game.  One of the biggest radio personalities ever.    

Cancer sucks

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tom Skerritt said:

But it’s okay for Trump to speak ill of just about everyone? Living, dead, women, men, abled, disabled? Why is everyone okay with that? Just curious. 

Do we not think we should aim to be better than Trump?

Why is Trump's behavior the new standard?  Can we STOP making every thread about Trump Trump Trump.

This place is unbearable because we can't talk about any issue without it turning into "Well Trump did this and you guys wanna clutch your pearlz now?  Lol you hyprocritez!!111

Can we just agree that it's bad form to speak ill of the dead?  Or are we going to let Trump define the standard?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jm192 said:

Can we just agree that it's bad form to speak ill of the dead? 

Maybe not within the first hour of the news of his death, at the least, would be good.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Tom Skerritt said:

But it’s okay for Trump to speak ill of just about everyone? Living, dead, women, men, abled, disabled? Why is everyone okay with that? Just curious. 

Whataboutism in an obituary  thread.     

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a job driving around a truck in college in Southern Indiana in mid 90’s. Lots of long drives between stops. 

I was flipping around and Rush was on a station and he was going on about we can’t have a black President. I don’t believe I had much clue what talk radio was, much less political radio. I stopped and was like what the hell, how can he say this on radio. He went on for a good minute or two. Kept dancing around the subject and then said....I will tell you why after the break.

I listened to like 10 minutes of whatever the crap ads he had. 

His answer was something stupid but I remember he got me to listen to all those ads.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

His TV show was a staple in the fraternity house.  Pretty entertaining, tbh.  Net worth of $500mm.  Hard to achieve that sort of number without being tops in your craft. 

Surprised he pulled the plug on it so soon.  It was quite entertaining.  Not sure when he took the turn from political comedy to being mean for lack of a better term.  His empire was built on his creative political humor and satire.  IMO he just rode his own coattails after Clinton moved on.  He was at his best when the opposition was in power and became unlistenable when his guys were in power.  I'm wondering if some of the late night guys struggle with this as Trump becomes a memory and we get deeper in the Biden years.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Rush was a voice for conservatives. But he also made unnecessary and cruel remarks about HIV deaths during the beginning of the AIDS crisis ("I'll never love this way again"), accused Michael J Fox of exaggerating his Parkinson's symptoms, accused several women of being sluts  (Kamala and the law student who took birth control). He apologized to Fox and later said he was insensitive to play the Dione Warwick song. This is part of his legacy.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, The Dreaded Marco said:

 

 

Agreed.

If you're going to call out tim and dozer then you have to call out Limbaugh for the same.

I actually don't feel the need to call out a dead man for bad behavior.  He's dead.  It won't change it. It won't affect anything.

I know what Rush is.  I guess I have higher expectations of @timschochet.  And I think since Tim changed his post, he also has higher expectations of himself.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, jm192 said:

Do we not think we should aim to be better than Trump?

Why is Trump's behavior the new standard?  Can we STOP making every thread about Trump Trump Trump.

This place is unbearable because we can't talk about any issue without it turning into "Well Trump did this and you guys wanna clutch your pearlz now?  Lol you hyprocritez!!111

Can we just agree that it's bad form to speak ill of the dead?  Or are we going to let Trump define the standard?

Were you this upset when Trump denigrated John McCain after his death?

Edited by Tom Skerritt
  • Thinking 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Joe Bryant changed the title to Rush Limbaugh - 2.17.21 R.I.P.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...