What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rush Limbaugh - 2.17.21 R.I.P. (1 Viewer)

But it’s okay for Trump to speak ill of just about everyone? Living, dead, women, men, abled, disabled? Why is everyone okay with that? Just curious. 
I can get behind treating the recently deceased with respect in public spaces.

But the Rush folks applying some sort of moral or ethical standard to people who don't agree with that when Rush didn't bother to live by it himself is kind of much. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Were you this upset when Trump denigrated John McCain after his death?
Again, my standard isn't "Would Trump behave this way."

My standard is "How did my mother raise me?"

So if Trump does something, it doesn't make it any more or less ok.  My standards and principle are driven by who I am.  

I realize some of you ONLY want to play the game of "But were you mad when Trump did this?!!?!?!"

I'm over it man.  Please don't respond to me.

I can get behind treating the recently deceased with respect in public spaces.

But the Rush folks applying some sort of moral or ethical standard to people who don't agree with that when Rush didn't bother to live by it himself is kind of much. 
I just think you've had decades to speak on how horrible Rush is.  Countless people have taken advantage of that opportunity, on this message board even.  Rush wasn't a great guy.  I'm not sure what piling on his death accomplishes.  He had a wife and kids who are heart broken today.  If it somehow makes your day better to use the day of his death to talk about how bad he was--have at it man. 

Again, my standard isn't "Would Trump behave this way."

My standard is "How did my mother raise me?"

So if Trump does something, it doesn't make it any more or less ok.  My standards and principle are driven by who I am.  

I realize some of you ONLY want to play the game of "But were you mad when Trump did this?!!?!?!"

I'm over it man.  Please don't respond to me.
For the record, I haven’t said anything bad about anyone. Rush was a lightning rod. Like him or not, there will be a full spectrum of opinions on the guy. Me personally, I never listened to him. Though I think it’s safe to say that we disagreed in most topics. 

I just want to understand the rules. Seems to be a different set of rules for certain people. 
Nope.  It's always bad.  

I just hate that every thread becomes a "let's discuss the test of whether or not you said something when Trump did xyz."

I would think we could just all universally agree--speaking ill of the dead is bad.  Bad if Trump does it, bad if Rush does it, bad if Tim does it.  

"But why didn't you speak out against Trump when he did it??!?!?"

Maybe I'm a stupid hyprocrite.  Maybe I wasn't posting then.  I really don't know.

I had a job driving around a truck in college in Southern Indiana in mid 90’s. Lots of long drives between stops. 

I was flipping around and Rush was on a station and he was going on about we can’t have a black President. I don’t believe I had much clue what talk radio was, much less political radio. I stopped and was like what the hell, how can he say this on radio. He went on for a good minute or two. Kept dancing around the subject and then said....I will tell you why after the break.

I listened to like 10 minutes of whatever the crap ads he had. 

His answer was something stupid but I remember he got me to listen to all those ads.
He was a MASTER sales person.

Surprised he pulled the plug on it so soon.  It was quite entertaining.  Not sure when he took the turn from political comedy to being mean for lack of a better term.  His empire was built on his creative political humor and satire.  IMO he just rode his own coattails after Clinton moved on.  He was at his best when the opposition was in power and became unlistenable when his guys were in power.  I'm wondering if some of the late night guys struggle with this as Trump becomes a memory and we get deeper in the Biden years.
I think we see this very similarly.  Back in college, I was a Clinton voter and supporter but deep in the heart of Mississippi, that was a rarity and so if the fellas wanted to watch Rush's show, that's what we'd watch.  You're right, it was entertaining and I think 30 minutes was a good time allotment for his schtick.  I moved up to Oregon in '96 and never watched or really heard him again until ESPN hired him for a few minutes.  I think he had changed by then.  He wasn't as jovial.  

I moved up to Oregon in '96 and never watched or really heard him again until ESPN hired him for a few minutes.  I think he had changed by then.  He wasn't as jovial.  
It's interesting that so many of us noticed the exact same thing around the same general time.  It would be interesting to know how much of that was Rush changing, and how much was Rush reflecting a nastier environment.  (Not mutually exclusive of course).  

It's interesting that so many of us noticed the exact same thing around the same general time.  It would be interesting to know how much of that was Rush changing, and how much was Rush reflecting a nastier environment.  (Not mutually exclusive of course).  
Well, some of it could also be that I changed too.  No longer surrounded by good 'ol boys and Religion with a capital "R", I descended into the deep throes of liberalism and turned into a nefarious heathen. 

After due consideration I have decided to delete my initial thoughts on Mr. Limbaugh. I will simply say that I wasn’t a fan. 

I will say this: he was one of the great innovators in history, a genius in his field who did it better than anyone else. Condolences to his family. 
I read your first post.   The more I read your posts I realize you truly are an enigma.  

Or how much we have changed.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEMAgO-3cGs for example was a "skit" that wouldn't play out as well today.  Some of that is changes in society for the better.  Some of it is woke culture going overboard.  By the same token, when Kimmel does a Trump bit, it comes off more as anger and less as trying to be funny.  I used to find both Kimmel and Rush entertaining in their early years.  It just seems like all these guys forget they achieved their statue as entertainers and transitioning into being pompous.

Surprised he pulled the plug on it so soon.  It was quite entertaining.  Not sure when he took the turn from political comedy to being mean for lack of a better term.
Was talking to my dad this morning. He said that he used to love listening to Rush back in the '90s, but was turned off when Rush started saying some pretty disgusting and mean things about 13-year-old Chelsea Clinton. That was 28 years ago.

I moved up to Oregon in '96 and never watched or really heard him again until ESPN hired him for a few minutes.  I think he had changed by then.  He wasn't as jovial.  
These takes jibe with me, as well as this one from jwb on the previous page:

He definitely had a more populist / everyman vibe in the early days, and a younger, more conservative me liked him early on.
Early Rush Limbaugh, between the time his radio show went national and Bill Clinton's first term, was an essential voice among my college peers. At the time, his rhetoric seemed much more common-sense and advisory and not particularly hostile or alarmist. 

Well, some of it could also be that I changed too.  No longer surrounded by good 'ol boys and Religion with a capital "R", I descended into the deep throes of liberalism and turned into a nefarious heathen. 
This describes me. I too wonder if Rush changed.  Or more likely, as I got older, I realized that Rush’s deception and oversimplification of complex issues was resulting in bad policy that negatively impacted millions. It was probably there all along, but until my mid-late 20s, I wasn’t able to see through the grift. 

Was talking to my dad this morning. He said that he used to love listening to Rush back in the '90s, but was turned off when Rush started saying some pretty disgusting and mean things about 13-year-old Chelsea Clinton. That was 28 years ago.
I think it was when Bush came into power.  Rush could go after Clinton on policy in addition to the personal stuff.  Once the Rs were in power all that was left was personal stuff.

I remember a time where being President (past or current) was the highest standard in the world.  But now it's our fault for not being "better" than the most recent one. 
Look man, I think I've been pretty critical of Trump the past couple of months.  Sure, he should be held to the highest standard in the world.

But I'm guessing you think he's a real bad guy.  And if you think that, I think you should try to hold yourself to a higher standard.

This describes me. I too wonder if Rush changed.  Or more likely, as I got older, I realized that Rush’s deception and oversimplification of complex issues was resulting in bad policy that negatively impacted millions. It was probably there all along, but until my mid-late 20s, I wasn’t able to see through the grift. 
I'm sure it was some of both.  A lot of the great talent on both sides seem to get an exaggerated opinion of their superiority as they grow in stature.

It was probably there all along, but until my mid-late 20s, I wasn’t able to see through the grift. 
Generalizing: a lot of guys our age ... when Rush was going national, thing in our lives were less serious and less fraught ... and the stakes of "a dude with a radio show" just seemed so much lower than they'd be today. It was a different time and place, to state the obvious.

Look man, I think I've been pretty critical of Trump the past couple of months.  Sure, he should be held to the highest standard in the world.

But I'm guessing you think he's a real bad guy.  And if you think that, I think you should try to hold yourself to a higher standard.
Yeah, I've never held myself up to any President's standards.  That's just weird to even think about. 

And here we are, all the better for it  :suds:

I was never a listener of Rush, a couple times a week I would flip him on during the ride to & from home for lunch (4 miles to give you an idea of my listening time) and catch the talking point of the day but nothing past that. He had his audience and was a trailblazer in the field, RIP.

Who's the English guy that fills in for him? Mark something? I always enjoyed his style, guess I won't be hearing from him any longer either.

I used to listen to him occasionally in the early 90s when I was doing a lot of travelling on the road.  I didn't agree with his politics but his show was entertaining, occasionally funny and made me consider the conservative's perspective.  I stopped listening when my travel for work did and the few times that I heard him over the last 20 years were quite a bit different listening experience.  He was an innovator though, gotta give him credit for that.

My sympathies go out to his family and friends.

Were you this upset when Trump denigrated John McCain after his death?
You should not care what one who supported him despite this thinks. They are the problem.

Similarly, no one should care what one who justifies piling on Limbaugh's death thinks. They also are the problem.

And while those that butwhatabout Trump might not be as big of problems as those first two buckets, it's close.

---

Stop parroting nonsense. Stop engaging nonsense. Stop being nonsense. Unless of course that's ones goal. 

Tom Skerritt said:
So now it’s okay for you to deny someone’s opinion? Joe Bryant and company can do so as it is their board. But why do you and others get to tell me or Tim or whomever what we can and cannot say?
I have zero control over what any one person does, thinks, or farts. My default setting is anti-regulation, so I would go out of my way to try not to exercise control even if I have it. I'm stating one solution to our central problem. It's on others to actually do it. They won't though. So I'll keep pointing the finger. 

Each individual is either part of the problem or part of the solution. Choice is yours.

His passing does not sadden me like others but not because I had bad feelings towards him. I think at one time I listened to his show for a couple months back in my 20s or 30s, got bored with it after a while but recognized its power and control over a large audience. 

-He lived a full life and conquered talk radio, made a lot of friends and enemies along the way, never shy about stating his opinion. He tried to back things up with examples and a lot of he said she said daily from the folks walking around the Nation's Capital. 

-His death will surely create a large vacuum for Conservatives that need to feed off this stuff. I imagine in a year or two a name or face will emerge but it will look much different. 

RIP Rush, you fought to have your voice heard and I think most would agree you were successful at it even if they disagree with what you had to say. 

-Peace Everyone

Tom Skerritt said:
So now it’s okay for you to deny someone’s opinion? Joe Bryant and company can do so as it is their board. But why do you and others get to tell me or Tim or whomever what we can and cannot say?
Joe usually comes in with the ban hammer when anyone piles on anyone that has died. 

I think the rest of us are just saying show some class.  If you don't have anything nice to say just skip the thread.  It's not that hard.  But doubling down defending your cheap shots says a lot more about you than the people you think you're getting the zinger on.  My 2 cents.

Generalizing: a lot of guys our age ... when Rush was going national, thing in our lives were less serious and less fraught ... and the stakes of "a dude with a radio show" just seemed so much lower than they'd be today. It was a different time and place, to state the obvious.
Absolutely.  

The part I struggle with is that even at that time, the stakes were high for some folks, and Rush’s outsized influence negatively impacted lots of those folks, while I listened along and considered him harmless. I wish would have been more engaged and thoughtful at the time. 

Just the last couple of months?  Maybe it's you that should follow your own advice.

Tom Skerritt said:
Don’t think I’ve said anything bad about anyone in here. Just pointing out the hypocrisy of Trump supporters piling on Tim for expressing his personal views of a very polarizing political figure. While not a peep from these same Trump supporters when he craps on gold star families and dances on John McCain’s grave.  It’s just so strange. 
I appreciate the defense but in truth, my comments were inappropriate given the fact that I wrote them right after we learned of his death. I behaved in a classless way and those who have called me out were correct to do so. 

Tom Skerritt said:
Don’t think I’ve said anything bad about anyone in here. Just pointing out the hypocrisy of Trump supporters piling on Tim for expressing his personal views of a very polarizing political figure. While not a peep from these same Trump supporters when he craps on gold star families and dances on John McCain’s grave.  It’s just so strange. 
Unlike Trump and Twitter, we just saved Tim from the wrath of the FBG Moderator.  You're welcome.  

I’m glad his voice will no longer contribute to the division in America.
Really?  The guy had different views, presented them with an even temperament, and by all accounts gave voice to a large group of Americans who felt voiceless.  Question for you - how does the statement you just made, in a RiP thread, contribute to division in America?  Be the change you want to see.

Just the last couple of months?  Maybe it's you that should follow your own advice.
I'm not sure what this means.

Becuase I didn't speak out against Trump sooner, I shouldn't encourage people NOT to speak ill of a dead man on the day he dies?  Ok man, you got me.  You win.  Good job. 

I appreciate the defense but in truth, my comments were inappropriate given the fact that I wrote them right after we learned of his death. I behaved in a classless way and those who have called me out were correct to do so. 
I don’t disagree. And good for you. You’re opinionated, and you should be able to speak your mind. Wish more people could be as introspective as you clearly are. 

I'm not sure what this means.

Becuase I didn't speak out against Trump sooner, I shouldn't encourage people NOT to speak ill of a dead man on the day he dies?  Ok man, you got me.  You win.  Good job. 
Show me one quote where I ever spoke ill of Rush. I was talking about Trump.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed.

If you're going to call out tim and dozer then you have to call out Limbaugh for the same.
Best to call out people for saying dumb, rotten crap like that when they say it.  And every single person on the planet has said such things. Maybe it’s my Catholic upbringing but when someone dies I tend to forgive their human shortcomings and celebrate the good that they brought to the world.

Apple Jack said:
Why is it necessary to sanitize reaction to such a toxic and divisive person? This place can be so strange.
There are probably a dozen posts already answering this question, including the one just above this one.   If it's a serious question.  

Show me one quote where I ever spoke ill of Rush. I was talking about Trump.
No.  

You jumped into a conversation about Rush that people did the classic "Well what about Trump's behavior?  Did you say enough bad things about Trump's behavior?  If not you don't need to comment on Tim's comments about Rush being dead."  I've never excused Trump speaking ill of a dead person.  It's bad when he does it.  It's bad when Tim does it.  I'm not sure why Tim doing it needs to lead a discussion on Trump doing it.  

You commented that the POTUS used to be held to the highest standard in the world.  I don't know what you want?  Trump's a bad person.  We can expect a high standard, and he's going to fail to meet it.  I don't personally think that means we should use Trump's bad behavior as a cop out to change what behavior is acceptable of ourselves.  If every president ever speaks ill of the dead, I will continue to find it unacceptable.  I will continue to not do it.  I will continue to encoruage people here to also not do it.

Why does the Rush thread need to be a Trump thread?  Why does every thread have to unravel into a whataboutism thread on Trump.  He's gone.  Do you guys just come here to bring up Trump?  Or can we talk about...not Trump?

Seriously:  A lot of posters are very reasonable and I've had good conversations.  

Some of you can't wait to turn every thread into a "Trump bad thread."  There's more to life than Trump.  I think we'd all be better off if we could stop looking for every opportunity to turn the thread into "But Trump!!!"

Seriously:  A lot of posters are very reasonable and I've had good conversations.  

Some of you can't wait to turn every thread into a "Trump bad thread."  There's more to life than Trump.  I think we'd all be better off if we could stop looking for every opportunity to turn the thread into "But Trump!!!"
Dude, I'm not the one who brought up Trump. I was just questioning why it took you so long to figure him out.

Users who are viewing this thread