Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Rush Limbaugh - 2.17.21 R.I.P.


Recommended Posts

Just now, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

Seems to me like an obit is part of that historical record.  

I'm honestly unconvinced by that argument.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Then dont post anything. Seriously. 

This thread sucks. I've noticed it on Twitter. Whole lot of left-wingers and do-gooders can't contain themselves and need indeed to shovel dirt on him before he's even in the grave. This is like the S

This is an underrated point that it would be useful to keep in mind.  Regardless of what you think about Rush, everybody should be able to agree that he wouldn't sit around wringing his hands over peo

Rush didn't seem to be the kind of guy who would have wanted his detractors to pull their punches in regards to their interpretation of his legacy/life/views. He's probably listening either above or below and chuckling over his final "owning" of the libs.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

*shakes fatguyinalittlecoat's hand back*

No snark here, I just think we're going to disagree about that in the end. You probably would make a better logical case than I would, though, because very little about handling death by custom is logical.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Sand said:

Spot on, and it doesn't help when this is amplified by the fourth estate writing with their barrels of blue ink.  Take the NYT obit:

"Rush Limbaugh Dies at 70; Turned Talk Radio Into a Right-Wing Attack Machine

With a following of 15 million and a divisive style of mockery, grievance and denigrating language, he was a force in reshaping American conservatism."

And that's just the start of it - it blathers on for a while in the same tone.  Pure hate, vitriol.  Amplification of what you just spoke of - steroids for turning people into more hateful versions of themselves.  The NYT has literally hit a new low.

So.....you feel grieved because the obit was divisive, mocking, and denigrating?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sea Duck said:

So.....you feel grieved because the obit was divisive, mocking, and denigrating?

Aggrieved is probably what you're looking for here. Grieving is what family does in private unless a million lefties are piling on publicly.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I seriously think that someone like Keith Olbermann is the counterpoint to Rush Limbaugh. Histrionic, bad temper, falsely accuses people of things, calls for their heads, obnoxious politics and personality by all accounts. Here's what I would say if he died.

"R.I.P to Keith Olbermann and condolences to his family. While I didn't always agree with his demeanor or presentation, he was an undeniable trailblazer in broadcast journalism, especially in broadcast sports journalism."

This really shouldn't be that hard.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, rockaction said:

I seriously think that someone like Keith Olbermann is the counterpoint to Rush Limbaugh. Histrionic, bad temper, falsely accuses people of things, calls for their heads, obnoxious politics and personality by all accounts. Here's what I would say if he died.

"R.I.P to Keith Olbermann and condolences to his family. While I didn't always agree with his demeanor or presentation, he was an undeniable trailblazer in broadcast journalism, especially in broadcast sports journalism."

This really shouldn't be that hard.

Also, his NYT obit would probably start off with something like "The trailblazing sports journalist who was known for his bad temper and histrionics..."

And his fans would shrug and say, "Yep, sounds about right."

Edited by Sea Duck
Pity the fool
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, rockaction said:

I seriously think that someone like Keith Olbermann is the counterpoint to Rush Limbaugh. Histrionic, bad temper, falsely accuses people of things, calls for their heads, obnoxious politics and personality by all accounts. Here's what I would say if he died.

"R.I.P to Keith Olbermann and condolences to his family. While I didn't always agree with his demeanor or presentation, he was an undeniable trailblazer in broadcast journalism, especially in broadcast sports journalism."

This really shouldn't be that hard.

But he's no trailblazer imo

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sea Duck said:

Also, his NYT obit would probably start off with something like "The trailblazing sports journalist who was known for his bad tempter and histrionics..."

And his fans would shrug and say, "Yep, sounds about right."

Your typos are awesome. First we've done got grieved, now a bad tempter.

I'm not picking on you, just got a kick out of both in isolation. Your point is certainly taken.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, identikit said:

But he's no trailblazer imo

Sure. But I obviously err on the side of the dead. Not really looking to necessarily give a stringently accurate rendering of the subject in an R.I.P. note left in a public forum.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

I agree with the general sentiment here that it’s poor form to speak I’ll of the dead right after they die.  But I don’t agree that courtesy extends to newspaper obituaries of famous people.

I understand. I just disagree.

Like this I thought was awful for Marty Schottenheimer. https://twitter.com/Football_Guys/status/1359497345151479814?s=20

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Joe Bryant said:

I understand. I just disagree.

Like this I thought was awful for Marty Schottenheimer. https://twitter.com/Football_Guys/status/1359497345151479814?s=20

Yes it was and it was taken down by WaPo shortly after it was posted (I suspect it was done by some intern, as doing obits has traditionally been the bottom rung on any newspaper). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

I understand. I just disagree.

That NYT obit just shows what the attitude is in the newsroom there - "the wicked witch is dead".  Jubilation and gleeful post-mortem back stabbing.

While I fully support a Speaker for the Dead type discussion of Rush's life, that obit was anything but.  Rush wasn't a saint - he was a human like the rest of us.  He had failings and successes.  Dancing on his grave is unbecoming and is one of the biggest indictments of the fourth estate I have seen to date - everything is written in blue ink now.

This is even worse than the sacking of those journalists there that simply allowed Tom Cotton to post an editorial piece - and that was awful behavior.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:
1 hour ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

I agree with the general sentiment here that it’s poor form to speak I’ll of the dead right after they die.  But I don’t agree that courtesy extends to newspaper obituaries of famous people.

I understand. I just disagree.

Like this I thought was awful for Marty Schottenheimer. https://twitter.com/Football_Guys/status/1359497345151479814?s=20

I think there are two slightly different issues at play here.

The point of a celebrity obit is to summarize a person's defining characteristics and achievements -- warts and all. Marty Schottenheimer was known for wilting in the postseason, just as Rush Limbaugh was known for his divisive style of mockery. That stuff shouldn't be omitted from an obit.

However, an obit's headline should not go out of its way to cherry-pick damaging factoids. In that regard, the Times failed Schottenheimer. But their headline on Limbaugh ("Turned Talk Radio Into a Right-Wing Attack Machine") was not only accurate, but something that Limbaugh himself was proud to have accomplished.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think it's fair to say Marty Schottenheimer wilted in the playoffs.  Are we blaming him for Ernest Byner's fumble?  John Elways 98 yard drive?  Was he supposed to win a playoff game with Mike Pagel at QB?  Is he to blame for Lin Elliott missing 3 FGs in sub zero temps in KC?  Or Nate Keading missing from 40 to beat the Jets in OT? 

I'd say Marty was unfortunate in the playoffs.  Saying he wilted is lazy.  IMO.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jon_mx said:

Nothing but confirmation after confirmation of every stereotype I hold about leftist.

That's part of the problem. I'm a moderate and a centrist. I was a registered Republican at one point and have never registered as a Democrat. But the conservatives have gone so far to the right that even centrists look like leftists in comparison. I think at this point no amount of perspective will change your mind.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jon_mx said:

How many people who are so unforgivably upset actually heard the segment?  I would assume none and there is no actual documentation of it.

It was a radio segment. Millions of listeners heard it. But of course when faced with facts - pull the Fake News card.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, rockaction said:

Basic decency.

His legacy is his lack of decency. He reaps what he sows. I don't know why his supporters are coming to his defense as if he's their lovable grandpa or something. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

Your choices are to say nothing and be the bigger person or lower yourself to the level you think he was and have at it.   Which do you prefer to be?

The bar has been set so low, I'm already the bigger person. It takes decades of hate speech to get down to his level. There needs to be truth to how he is remembered. If his supporters loved what he did and said, then reminding them of his words and actions shouldn't be negative thing, right?

It's like:
Rush while living - "blah blah blah"
His supporters - "Yeah, you tell 'em Rush!!!"


Quoting Rush - He said, "blah blah blah"
His supporters - "You're scum for speaking ill of the dead! Have you no decency!?!?" "Never happened! Fake news!"

 

:shrug: Seem weird to me.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, EYLive said:

His legacy is his lack of decency. He reaps what he sows. I don't know why his supporters are coming to his defense as if he's their lovable grandpa or something. 

Thay is the excuse leftist pull out everytime.  People that you disagree with don't deserve respect.  But the common denominator is not actions but politics.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, EYLive said:

The bar has been set so low, I'm already the bigger person. It takes decades of hate speech to get down to his level. There needs to be truth to how he is remembered. If his supporters loved what he did and said, then reminding them of his words and actions shouldn't be negative thing, right?

It's like:
Rush while living - "blah blah blah"
His supporters - "Yeah, you tell 'em Rush!!!"


Quoting Rush - He said, "blah blah blah"
His supporters - "You're scum for speaking ill of the dead! Have you no decency!?!?" "Never happened! Fake news!"

 

:shrug: Seem weird to me.

If you're crapping on someone that just passed, I'd argue otherwise.  But you've got your mind made up.  He said mean things you don't like so it's a free pass to say whatever you want about him.  Revenge!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jon_mx said:

Thay is the excuse leftist pull out everytime.

I'm not a leftist. You're way too far to the right to perceive this.

1 minute ago, jon_mx said:

People that you disagree with don't deserve respect.

Incorrect. Again your perception of others is wrong. Rush is one person, I am one person. I don't respect him or his methods.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

If you're crapping on someone that just passed, I'd argue otherwise.  But you've got your mind made up.  He said mean things you don't like so it's a free pass to say whatever you want about him.  Revenge!

:goodposting: Agreed, sad how low some go in here. 
 

RIP. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GoBirds said:

:goodposting: Agreed, sad how low some go in here. 
 

RIP. 

Yeah. Someone used Olbermann as an example and it's perfect.  I don't like hardly anything about that guy.  But if he were to pass away, I'm not crapping on the guy.  I would just avoid any thread about him most likely instead of making sure I got one last shot in.  People are strange.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

If you're crapping on someone that just passed, I'd argue otherwise.  But you've got your mind made up.  He said mean things you don't like so it's a free pass to say whatever you want about him.  Revenge!

Wasn't he a champion of free speech... or nah? Will he be be upset?
People here really are rallying around him like a patron saint of something - I don't know what. It's really strange to watch.

Edited by EYLive
Link to post
Share on other sites

with all due respect, what is the appropriate waiting time until we can speak ill of the dead?  Certainly it doesn't go to infinity.

a day? a week?  a month?

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, moleculo said:

with all due respect, what is the appropriate waiting time until we can speak ill of the dead?  Certainly it doesn't go to infinity.

a day? a week?  a month?

I try not to ever

🤷🏻‍♂️

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, moleculo said:

with all due respect, what is the appropriate waiting time until we can speak ill of the dead?  Certainly it doesn't go to infinity.

a day? a week?  a month?

How long do you think you can hold out?  What makes you want to speak ill of a dead person?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, moleculo said:

with all due respect, what is the appropriate waiting time until we can speak ill of the dead?  Certainly it doesn't go to infinity.

a day? a week?  a month?

It's equal to the amount of time after a mass shooting before gun laws can be discussed.

  • Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sea Duck said:

Also, his NYT obit would probably start off with something like "The trailblazing sports journalist who was known for his bad temper and histrionics..."

And his fans would shrug and say, "Yep, sounds about right."

You selectively let the title byline go unrepeated - "With a following of 15 million and a divisive style of mockery, grievance and denigrating language, he was a force in reshaping American conservatism."

That was a pointed dig at Rush, his life, and conservatives in general.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Sand said:
2 hours ago, Sea Duck said:

Also, his NYT obit would probably start off with something like "The trailblazing sports journalist who was known for his bad temper and histrionics..."

And his fans would shrug and say, "Yep, sounds about right."

You selectively let the title byline go unrepeated - "With a following of 15 million and a divisive style of mockery, grievance and denigrating language, he was a force in reshaping American conservatism."

That was a pointed dig at Rush, his life, and conservatives in general.  

:mellow:

If you read an opening line about Keith Olbermann which contains the phrase "bad temper and histrionics", and you don't think that the description is a pointed dig, then it tends to reinforce my point.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

Thay is the excuse leftist pull out everytime.  People that you disagree with don't deserve respect.  But the common denominator is not actions but politics.

Well to be fair Rush has said some pretty disrespectful things about people he disagreed with too. 

Showing disrespect is not something exclusive to liberals.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Sea Duck said:

:mellow:

If you read an opening line about Keith Olbermann which contains the phrase "bad temper and histrionics", and you don't think that the description is a pointed dig, then it tends to reinforce my point.

As it turns out I read one post and quoted the other.  Use this one:

 

1 hour ago, Sea Duck said:

However, an obit's headline should not go out of its way to cherry-pick damaging factoids. In that regard, the Times failed Schottenheimer. But their headline on Limbaugh ("Turned Talk Radio Into a Right-Wing Attack Machine") was not only accurate, but something that Limbaugh himself was proud to have accomplished.

 

Edited by Sand
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sand said:

As it turns out I read one post and quoted the other.  Use this one:

Again: :mellow:

Are you asserting that Limbaugh did not utilize a divisive style of mockery, grievance, and denigrating language? Or are you asserting that the Times shouldn't have written about it?

  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EYLive said:

His legacy is his lack of decency. He reaps what he sows. I don't know why his supporters are coming to his defense as if he's their lovable grandpa or something. 

Yea...mind boggling to me. It would be one thing if ever apologized for the entire list of inflammatory, racist, horrible crap he's said.  Maybe he has but I've never seen it or heard it. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jon_mx said:

Thay is the excuse leftist pull out everytime.  People that you disagree with don't deserve respect.  But the common denominator is not actions but politics.

He doesn't deserve respect. You'd be hard-pressed to find any "leftist" spewing the the same despicable rhetoric with anything close to the reach and longevity that he had in the US.

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jon_mx said:

Thay is the excuse leftist pull out everytime.  People that you disagree with don't deserve respect.  But the common denominator is not actions but politics.

People who act like he did don't get my respect, disagree or agree with their stances.  They also don't magically have my respect after passing - that would be dishonest.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, urbanhack said:

Yea...mind boggling to me. It would be one thing if ever apologized for the entire list of inflammatory, racist, horrible crap he's said.  Maybe he has but I've never seen it or heard it. 

And yet, due to the political bent of Rush and the far left stance and promotion from the NYT what was trumpeted and made sure was clear was all the mistakes and purported missteps and nothing anywhere close to an even-handed assessment of his life (i.e. Speaker for the Dead treatment).

Now, let's say we all of a sudden had the NYT have to write an obit for a controversial far left person - say Rep. Omar.  Do you really think the headline would be "Sudden death of rabid anti-Semite Rep. Omar occurred yesterday"?  That is accurate, but leaves out a ton of her body of work.  (It's rhetorical, of course; the tenor, tone, and content would be completely different.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sand said:

And yet, due to the political bent of Rush and the far left stance and promotion from the NYT what was trumpeted and made sure was clear was all the mistakes and purported missteps and nothing anywhere close to an even-handed assessment of his life (i.e. Speaker for the Dead treatment).

Now, let's say we all of a sudden had the NYT have to write an obit for a controversial far left person - say Rep. Omar.  Do you really think the headline would be "Sudden death of rabid anti-Semite Rep. Omar occurred yesterday"?  That is accurate, but leaves out a ton of her body of work.  (It's rhetorical, of course; the tenor, tone, and content would be completely different.)

False equivalency...so you can stop right there. Rush made his career by insults, hate, lies and sowing political division 24 x 7. 

  • Like 3
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd almost say people should just post honestly and without impunity nor regard for any custom. It's like flies to a trap. It lets me perfectly know who not to listen to on the board. How convenient. @rcam@urbanhack etc. What a waste of board space.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rockaction said:

I'd almost say people should just post honestly and without impunity nor regard for any custom. It's like flies to a trap. It lets me perfectly know who not to listen to on the board. How convenient. @rcam@urbanhack etc. What a waste of board space.

And @Sea Duckmaking jokes while his fat fingers finger. This is all in keeping. @moleculobringing the subtle.

Keep on keepin' on, fellas!

  • Love 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rockaction said:

I'd almost say people should just post honestly and without impunity nor regard for any custom. It's like flies to a trap. It lets me perfectly know who not to listen to on the board. How convenient. @rcam@urbanhack etc. What a waste of board space.

Thanks?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rockaction said:

And @Sea Duckmaking jokes while his fat fingers finger. This is all in keeping. @moleculobringing the subtle.

Keep on keepin' on, fellas!

They’ve gone unchecked for years, it’s what this place has become. Good to see you calling it what it is. :hifive:

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

How long do you think you can hold out?  What makes you want to speak ill of a dead person?

Trust me, if it was anyone on “their side “ they would be melting down and mashing the report button in rage on anyone that hinted at anything negative. It’s what they are. We’ve watched it for years now. 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rockaction said:

I'd almost say people should just post honestly and without impunity nor regard for any custom. It's like flies to a trap. It lets me perfectly know who not to listen to on the board. How convenient. @rcam@urbanhack etc. What a waste of board space.

Interesting standards here.  How dare anyone mention the bigotry, misogyny, mocking people with ALS, celebrating people dying of Aids, etc.  The TRUE villains are folks like @urbanhackwho oppose those things and refuse to participate in your whitewashing.  

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

Trust me, if it was anyone on “their side “ they would be melting down and mashing the report button in rage on anyone that hinted at anything negative. It’s what they are. We’ve watched it for years now. 

If there was a guy on my side that had acted as Limbaugh had, that man would no longer be on my side. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Laughing 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...