What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Kadarius Toney, KC (1 Viewer)

Florida senior WR Kadarius Toney announced on Monday that he has opted out of the Cotton Bowl and will turn pro. 

Well, Florida QB Kyle Trask will be without another proven weapon for the Gators' matchup with Oklahoma. Toney (6'0/198) is the third Gator offensive standout to make the decision to begin preparations for the NFL Draft now, joining TE Kyle Pitts and WR Trevon Grimes. Toney started each of Florida's 11 games in 2020, catching 70 passes for 984 yards and ten touchdowns. Also used on special teams, the senior wide receiver amassed 1,439 all-purpose yards and scored 12 total touchdowns (10 receiving, one rushing and one punt return). Toney is projected to be an early Day 3 selection in this spring's draft, with Pro Football Network's Tony Pauline giving him a fourth-round grade. 

SOURCE: Kadarius Toney on Twitter

Dec 28, 2020, 1:33 PM ET

Florida WR Kadarius Toney said he models his game after New Orleans Saints RB Alvin Kamara.

On the surface, the two are listed at different positions. But like Kamara, Toney is more of an offensive weapon, capable of running the ball as effectively as he is catching it. Toney averaged 8.5 YPC on his 19 carries while posting a 70-984-10 receiving line for the high-flying Gators last fall. Toney has entered the late Round 1 discussion due to his explosive athleticism.

SOURCE: 247Sports

Jan 27, 2021, 12:35 PM ET

For a guy with NFL first round hype, he seems to have very little fantasy hype. I think the fantasy community is right on this one.

For a guy with NFL first round hype, he seems to have very little fantasy hype. I think the fantasy community is right on this one.
I don't know who is right but I was just about to post I'd put him down as as the player right now I'm seeing the biggest disconnect between fantasy community and scouting community. Most of the people I follow in scouting community see him as basically in a tier by himself as WR4.

I don't know who is right but I was just about to post I'd put him down as as the player right now I'm seeing the biggest disconnect between fantasy community and scouting community. Most of the people I follow in scouting community see him as basically in a tier by himself as WR4.
I think the disconnection is clearly based on how much of a total nonfactor he was until his senior year. Not like Florida had a lot of all world WR competition either. 10 catches as a junior? Woof

I think the disconnection is clearly based on how much of a total nonfactor he was until his senior year. Not like Florida had a lot of all world WR competition either. 10 catches as a junior? Woof
That's not 100% true.  Toney was a "weapon" but not really a WR.  This past year he was the "take it to the house guy" and the Deebo comparison is likely correct.  Problem with him (and Pitts to be honest) is they don't pigenhole to the position they are called.  Pitts is a WR/TE and Toney is a WR/RB/Athlete.  The Shanny and McVays of the world will unlock his potential, but a "standard" offensive system will not really work for him.  Carolina, Chicago, SF, LAR, Buf, and maybe new england are the right landing spots for him.  Miami, Pitt, Denver and other more "rigid offensive systems" are likely not his optimal landing spots (Arizona too.  He has the tools to be a playmaker in that type of system but I think he'd get lost in the shuffle)

That's not 100% true.  Toney was a "weapon" but not really a WR.  This past year he was the "take it to the house guy" and the Deebo comparison is likely correct.  Problem with him (and Pitts to be honest) is they don't pigenhole to the position they are called.  Pitts is a WR/TE and Toney is a WR/RB/Athlete.  The Shanny and McVays of the world will unlock his potential, but a "standard" offensive system will not really work for him.  Carolina, Chicago, SF, LAR, Buf, and maybe new england are the right landing spots for him.  Miami, Pitt, Denver and other more "rigid offensive systems" are likely not his optimal landing spots (Arizona too.  He has the tools to be a playmaker in that type of system but I think he'd get lost in the shuffle)
Sorry didn’t mean to underplay the 253 total yards and 1 TD he scored as a junior. 

I think it has to do with fact he's more weapon then WR, more gadget then pure WR at this point though he could continue to improve. Those kind of players are typically more valued by NFL teams then fantasy community.

I don't care about his junior numbers myself and I would say two WR's in the NFL and Pitts about to join them from that 2019 Florida team would be considered extremely stiff competition just about everywhere but Alabama and 2019 LSU.

I think it has to do with fact he's more weapon then WR, more gadget then pure WR at this point though he could continue to improve. Those kind of players are typically more valued by NFL teams then fantasy community.

I don't care about his junior numbers myself and I would say two WR's in the NFL and Pitts about to join them from that 2019 Florida team would be considered extremely stiff competition just about everywhere but Alabama and 2019 LSU.
It just seems if he is such a dangerous weapon, Florida would have gotten him the ball more than two times a game when he was at the same age that most good NFL WRs are posting their best and final college season. I’m not buying him as a fantasy player nor a 2nd round value for the NFL draft.

Sorry didn’t mean to underplay the 253 total yards and 1 TD he scored as a junior. 
Not going to get into a pissing match here.  Plenty of players do nothing their first few years and have a good senior season. The Florida offense was just "ok" until trasks' senior year.  We started last season with the Felipe Franks show and it took him getting hurt before anything happened, and even then it was a learning curve for trask.

Again, the kid is a weapon.  In every mock I do for the dolphins he gets picked between 20 - 38, and I avoid him for guys like Bateman or R. Moore.  You need a coach that can unlock his skill set (much like percy, but without the migraines)

Not going to get into a pissing match here.  Plenty of players do nothing their first few years and have a good senior season. The Florida offense was just "ok" until trasks' senior year.  We started last season with the Felipe Franks show and it took him getting hurt before anything happened, and even then it was a learning curve for trask.

Again, the kid is a weapon.  In every mock I do for the dolphins he gets picked between 20 - 38, and I avoid him for guys like Bateman or R. Moore.  You need a coach that can unlock his skill set (much like percy, but without the migraines)
Maybe. I don’t hate him or anything. Just think he’s really overrated. There are players who don’t do anything of major note until senior year but those players fail far more often than players who broke out earlier. 

Ilov80s said:
I came in the thread to see who was a Toney fan and to check if any of the hype people for him would be in my leagues. Apparently not though. 

FBG's forum members are smart and are wise to fade this guy. 

I'm starting to think maybe we should trust the NFL scouts a little more on this guy. I'm getting some Stefon Diggs vibes, and I am moving up my rankings to maybe WR7 so far.

I'm starting to think maybe we should trust the NFL scouts a little more on this guy. I'm getting some Stefon Diggs vibes, and I am moving up my rankings to maybe WR7 so far.
He looks to me like if Alvin Kamara lost 25 pounds and got moved to WR and I'm not exactly sure what to do with that yet.

The NFL was also saying Riley Ridley was potentially a 1st rounder, or the fact that Van Jefferson was a 2nd rounder... They routinely get things wrong. Diggs being a 5th rounder as well as a good example. 

I'm not completely writing him off, because he has decent size, good burst and quickness, but there's a lot to be desired from both a film aspect and an analytical one. 

Pro Football Network's Tony Pauline tagged Florida WR Kadarius Toney as a prospect receiving first-round buzz who might end up slipping to Day 2.

Toney (6'0/193) is a jitterbug of an offensive weapon, but Pauline is hearing that his stock might be a touch inflated at this juncture. And speaking of inflation, CBS Sports' Chris Trapasso had the Florida athlete mocked all the way up to No. 11 with the Giants in a thought exercise posted earlier this month. Pauline additionally forwards Clemson RB Travis Etienne, Washington DL Levi Onwuzurike and Alabama DL Christian Barmore as three players whom his sources feel could fall a touch short of first-round expectations.

SOURCE: Pro Football Network

Mar 17, 2021, 12:13 PM ET

2021 NFL draft: Brian Baldinger has strong opinions on this year's prospects

Excerpt:

Florida WR Kadarius Toney

“There’s this kid out of Florida — and they’ve got a lot of them — but this Kadarius Toney, like, I don’t know what position he is exactly. But he’s just this playmaker.

“You have to figure out his role. OK, he’s going to run fly sweeps. He’s going to run hitch screens. Maybe some ‘go’ rounds. Like, I don’t know what all he is. But I do know that when the ball is in his hands, he’s about as elusive as anybody in this whole draft.”

Florida was rotating their WR's a lot similar to how many team rotate the DL. This is why a lot of their WR's don't have as many catches as they could've or should've. 

Florida was rotating their WR's a lot similar to how many team rotate the DL. This is why a lot of their WR's don't have as many catches as they could've or should've. 
If he was a first round NFL talent I would expect him to not be rotated out. Maybe he coaching staff was that dumb but I find it hard to believe.

If he was a first round NFL talent I would expect him to not be rotated out. Maybe he coaching staff was that dumb but I find it hard to believe.
Yes the coaching staff did this with everyone. There would series guys wouldn't be on the field at all. Toney also had some wildcat packages before Emory Jones took those plays 

Weird. They took Pitts off the field a lot?
Not as much because he literally was the only good TE. WR they didn't have world beaters but definitely a talented group and wanted to get a lot of guys on the field. A lot of people had similar issues with Van Jefferson's production last year and it was because of the rotation. A lot of us UF fans this is one of the few things offensively that's irritated us with Mullen is their constant subbing in and out their receivers. Pitts would come out in short spurts for a breather but that was literally it. I understood why they did it as Mullen was trying to play match ups. Certain games certain WRs stayed on the field more to exploit match ups but that was the one time a guy got more playing time outside of the rotations

He looks pretty good to me. Great WR class.
I'd draft him. He's a bigger better Percy Harvin without the baggage. Not a fan or his Hip hop music (as he has a few tracks that scouts put a red flag on as more interested in that then football which is laughable) but he hasn't let it effect his ability or play. He did have an issue a few years ago when Mullen first got to Florida as well as several others but they weren't charged. He had an AR 15 during a traffic stop but he didn't break any rules with it according to the police either. Outside of that first year he hasn't had 1 issue thats come up and kept his nose clean too. 

Not as much because he literally was the only good TE. WR they didn't have world beaters but definitely a talented group and wanted to get a lot of guys on the field. A lot of people had similar issues with Van Jefferson's production last year and it was because of the rotation. A lot of us UF fans this is one of the few things offensively that's irritated us with Mullen is their constant subbing in and out their receivers. Pitts would come out in short spurts for a breather but that was literally it. I understood why they did it as Mullen was trying to play match ups. Certain games certain WRs stayed on the field more to exploit match ups but that was the one time a guy got more playing time outside of the rotations
That is indicative of my point. If a guy is a 1st round NFL draft talented WR, he wouldn't be coming off the field all the time. 

Users who are viewing this thread