What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Kadarius Toney, KC (3 Viewers)

One more pick between Toney and my 2.09 slot.  If 2.08 takes him I won't know whether to be bummed, relieved, or both.

I'm not high on him at all really, but when he fell to 2.07, I felt like it was malpractice not to take him. When does a first round NFL WR fall to the middle of the second in fantasy drafts?
Same thing happened to me in a few dynasty leagues. Didn't go looking to draft him but got him late 2nd in IDP leagues. Really didn't have any choice. I'm a big believer in draft position.

Giants first-round WR Kadarius Toney made his on-field debut on Tuesday. 

It's notable because it comes a full week after Toney was activated from the reserve/COVID-19 list. Toney "dropped an easy catch in his first target of camp," but reportedly "flashed some of the speed/agility that made the Giants want to draft him." He also saw extensive work as a punt returner, which could be his most consistent early-season role. 

SOURCE: NJ.com

Aug 3, 2021, 4:19 PM ET

Pat Leonard @PLeonardNYDN

Kadarius Toney working with first team offense more extensively to start this practice, too #Giants
https://twitter.com/pleonardnydn/status/1423035863827685377?s=21

Art Stapleton @art_stapleton

Watching Kadarius Toney for the second consecutive practice, his twitch is a given. I’ve been impressed with his hands, especially on receptions away from his body and on the move. Appears to be finding a rhythm.
#NYGiants
https://twitter.com/art_stapleton/status/1423052829435076613?s=21

Giants coach Joe Judge said first-round rookie wide receiver Kadarius Toney is "progressing physically at a nice rate."

Toney missed much of OTAs and minicamp for various reasons (contract dispute, minor injury, personal reasons) and started training camp on the COVID list, but he has started to work back in after being activated last week. He ran exclusively with the second team on Thursday in a low-intensity practice, so it's still hard to get overly excited about him. The Florida product is buried on the Giants' depth chart and doesn't project to be relevant without an injury to someone ahead of him in 2021.

Aug 5, 2021, 4:50 PM ET

Kadarius Toney (undisclosed) has resumed practicing in full pads. 

Toney spent most of his first training camp on the sideline battling a mysterious ailment. He received precious few reps with Daniel Jones and the first-team offense, and frankly does not seem in position to be a meaningful contributor on offense to begin the season. This was famous last words the last time the fantasy drafting public wrote off a rookie first-round Giants receiver, but Toney seems extremely unlikely to provide re-draft value in 2021. 

SOURCE: Art Stapleton on Twitter 

Sep 2, 2021, 1:53 PM ET

One more pick between Toney and my 2.09 slot.  If 2.08 takes him I won't know whether to be bummed, relieved, or both.
Got him at 3.11 in a rookie/vet FA draft.

Bargain at that price.

He's not as small as I thought and I love the explosion vert/broad jump.

With a 17 game season he WILL get a shot to start at some point.  He's going to have some splash plays along the way.  Possibly a big game where his value will increase.

Could be a classic buy-low/sell-high later in the season.  Right now he is a bargain in most drafts.  

Late 3rd?  Feh, that is nothing and their is upside IMHO.

Sneaking suspicion he could be a big surprise story of week 1. All it would take is two explosive touches for him to steal headlines. I have him in both dynasty so 100% biased but the unabashed shade he gets from literally everyone just makes me want him to succeed even more. 😂

Sneaking suspicion he could be a big surprise story of week 1. All it would take is two explosive touches for him to steal headlines. I have him in both dynasty so 100% biased but the unabashed shade he gets from literally everyone just makes me want him to succeed even more. 😂
There were a couple of plays early in the Patriots preseason game that the Giants ran that made me think “ ok those are going to Toney plays in the regular season “

One was the reverse run by Slayton

The other Jones ended up getting sacked on but he held the ball a tick to long and didn’t see a wide open Devon Booker.

On that play the Giants were in an empty set with Booker lined up as the most outside WR on the 3 WR side (Jones’s left)

Presnap motion brought Booker behind the 2 WR on his side of field and gave him a free release ( from the slot )on a crossing route over the middle. Booker beat the defender with ease but for some reason Jones didn’t throw it and was sacked. Of course everyone is killing Thomas for giving up the sack ( don’t get me wrong it still would have been a pressure) but Jones should have thrown it.

That play was the 2nd sack of the game so if you can find the all 22 of that play you will see what I’m trying to describe 

Last edited by a moderator:
There were a couple of plays early in the Patriots preseason game that the Giants ran that made me think “ ok those are going to Toney plays in the regular season “

One was the reverse run by Slayton

The other Jones ended up getting sacked on but he held the ball a tick to long and didn’t see a wide open Devon Booker.

On that play the Giants were in an empty set with Booker lined up as the most outside WR on the 3 WR side (Jones’s left)

Presnap motion brought Booker behind the 2 WR on his side of field and gave him a free release ( from the slot )on a crossing route over the middle. Booker beat the defender with ease but for some reason Jones didn’t throw it and was sacked. Of course everyone is killing Thomas for giving up the sack ( don’t get me wrong it still would have been a pressure) but Jones should have thrown it.

That play was the 2nd sack of the game so if you can find the all 22 of that play you will see what I’m trying to describe 

Interesting insight. I really think they will be scheming a few plays like you say. Especially these coaches are human and all they hear for months is everyone banging on this pick you gotta think ego is involved and they will want to shut everyone up. ;)

Giants WR Kadarius Toney "finally seems to be turning the corner" after missing most of training camp with COVID-19 and a hamstring injury.

Toney is still behind the rest of the receivers, but the No. 20 overall pick is finally healthy after returning to full practice this week. The Giants expect to feature Toney on "jet sweeps and gadget plays" with the hope his role grows as the season progresses. Toney will open the year as the No. 4 receiver behind Kenny Golladay, Sterling Shepard, and Darius Slayton.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Sep 4, 2021, 10:52 AM ET

Toney is talented and many people (Giant fans especially) didn't like the pick because he was supposed to be a late 1st early 2nd guy.  Further, because he has been a non factor in the preseason, the Giants added Golladay, there are still questions about Jones, there are a lot of mouths to feed (Barkley, Golladay, Shepard, Slayton), and inexplicably, Gettlemen didn't add a single lineman (their biggest need) in a draft that was very strong in that department, makes one wonder how effective this offense will be.  Jones was already one of the most hurried QB's in the game.  BUT, that doesn't mean, Toney can't be excellent!

Personally, I think it was a bad pick.  While I am very big on trading back in drafts and I have been very critical of the Barkley pick and how Gettlemen never traded back until this year (I think he forced it to prove he could - he is that weak), I wanted the Giants to stay where they were and pick the linebacker Parsons (their other need).  Ever since Gettlemen signed Jonathan Stewart, who was already done, for 7 mil for 2 years and then drafted Barkley, I knew he was a fool.  BTW, I think Barkley is a terrific back, but nobody is ever sure about any pick (including my thought on Parsons), but I am very much into the value side of picks and Gettlemen thumbs his nose at it just like many people thumbed their noses at OPS type stats in baseball or using the shift.  

Back to Toney...I think the best things to do with him is let someone else take him and then after he has a fairly weak showing over the first many games, you try and grab him as a throw in later on (assuming deep keeper or dynasty leagues)

Sorry for going off on Gettlemen, but as a Giant fan, I am so disappointed in him.

Toney is talented and many people (Giant fans especially) didn't like the pick because he was supposed to be a late 1st early 2nd guy.  Further, because he has been a non factor in the preseason, the Giants added Golladay, there are still questions about Jones, there are a lot of mouths to feed (Barkley, Golladay, Shepard, Slayton), and inexplicably, Gettlemen didn't add a single lineman (their biggest need) in a draft that was very strong in that department, makes one wonder how effective this offense will be.  Jones was already one of the most hurried QB's in the game.  BUT, that doesn't mean, Toney can't be excellent!

Personally, I think it was a bad pick.  While I am very big on trading back in drafts and I have been very critical of the Barkley pick and how Gettlemen never traded back until this year (I think he forced it to prove he could - he is that weak), I wanted the Giants to stay where they were and pick the linebacker Parsons (their other need).  Ever since Gettlemen signed Jonathan Stewart, who was already done, for 7 mil for 2 years and then drafted Barkley, I knew he was a fool.  BTW, I think Barkley is a terrific back, but nobody is ever sure about any pick (including my thought on Parsons), but I am very much into the value side of picks and Gettlemen thumbs his nose at it just like many people thumbed their noses at OPS type stats in baseball or using the shift.  

Back to Toney...I think the best things to do with him is let someone else take him and then after he has a fairly weak showing over the first many games, you try and grab him as a throw in later on (assuming deep keeper or dynasty leagues)

Sorry for going off on Gettlemen, but as a Giant fan, I am so disappointed in him.
As a Jet fan that listens to a lot of local sports talk, I empathize with you.  It's a helpless/hopeless feeling watching your GM inexplicable ignore things that EVERYBODY, from the talking heads on the radio to the dumb dumbs that hardly know anything to the die hard fans, knows needs to be done.  It's a scary parallel to what the Jets just went through with the Darnold/Mike Mac error/era.  I think the Giants have infinite more offensive firepower than the Jets ever gave Darnold, but the lack of protection, and [seeming] lack of scheming to help with that and making up for his own deficiencies may very well end up his undoing, and that of Gettleman as well.  (I happen to like Judge and think he's safe for a bit, but it'll be tough doing the offset hiring of coach -> GM.)

As a Jet fan that listens to a lot of local sports talk, I empathize with you.  It's a helpless/hopeless feeling watching your GM inexplicable ignore things that EVERYBODY, from the talking heads on the radio to the dumb dumbs that hardly know anything to the die hard fans, knows needs to be done.  It's a scary parallel to what the Jets just went through with the Darnold/Mike Mac error/era.  I think the Giants have infinite more offensive firepower than the Jets ever gave Darnold, but the lack of protection, and [seeming] lack of scheming to help with that and making up for his own deficiencies may very well end up his undoing, and that of Gettleman as well.  (I happen to like Judge and think he's safe for a bit, but it'll be tough doing the offset hiring of coach -> GM.)

Yeah, the Giants and jets are similar these days.  I happen to like Judge so far, but if he was the one who chose our OC then I take a little back.  First, just coming from Dallas was a negative.  I will give him one last year as the OC.  I just wish the OL was better because I can't even rate Jones as a QB because he has been tortured back there.

Beckham was a far better prospect though, and love him or hate him, a much more accomplished QB in Eli Manning.
Going by the best obective measure of a prospect we have, Toney is not quite the caliber of OBJ. You could also say he's drafted for a different purpose other than plug and play wide receiver. 

But Eli Manning got benched for Daniel Jones.

Going by the best obective measure of a prospect we have, Toney is not quite the caliber of OBJ. You could also say he's drafted for a different purpose other than plug and play wide receiver. 

But Eli Manning got benched for Daniel Jones.
Come on now, pretty big difference between 2019 Eli, and 2014 Eli. 

Remember Odell.Beckham.Jr? If I remember correctly, he was hurt the whole of pre season also. Uncanny.
Sounds like a coincidence to me.

They were both 1st round picks by the Giants too.

There are likely a few other things they have in common as well.

Toney being as productive as a rookie on a per game basis as Beckham was though?

Only Randy Moss, Anquan Boldin and Justin Jefferson have been that good right away so far unless I am forgetting someone.

significant role implies he actually gets on the field, and not much else.This is the same Joe Judge who laughably praises Pat Shurmur as an 'outstanding coach'. wow ..I wonder what he thinks about McAdoo. This pretty much sums up Joe Judge IMO. he won't be in NY next season. this thing's about to implode. Denver's defense is no joke. they travel two time zones east to STILL be a favorite in the betting lines? cmon now. easy peasy bet. danny nickels going to throw quite a few picks

Giants are going to get whipped here.

significant role implies he actually gets on the field, and not much else.This is the same Joe Judge who laughably praises Pat Shurmur as an 'outstanding coach'. wow ..I wonder what he thinks about McAdoo. This pretty much sums up Joe Judge IMO. he won't be in NY next season. this thing's about to implode. Denver's defense is no joke. they travel two time zones east to STILL be a favorite in the betting lines? cmon now. easy peasy bet. danny nickels going to throw quite a few picks

Giants are going to get whipped here.
He 100 percent will be in NY next year, he could go 0-16 and be in NY

Kadarius Toney caught 2-of-2 targets for -2 yards in the Giants' Week 1 loss to the Broncos. 

The No. 20 overall pick was on the field for just 5-of-61 snaps. Any hope that the 22-year-old would be a draft day bargain based on his real life draft capital alone has quickly faded. Not only is this a crowded offense, it's a dysfunctional one, one that will soon be getting Evan Engram back in the targets mix. Saquon Barkley will also be in for bigger snap and target shares. Toney is looking miles from re-draft relevance.  

Sep 13, 2021, 10:46 AM ET

Kadarius Toney did not receive a touch in the Giants' Week 2 loss to Washington. 

Toney and fellow wideout Kenny Golladay were visibly upset on the sideline Thursday night while the Giants went back and forth with Washington. Toney, who played 19 snaps Thursday night, stormed off after head coach Joe Judge pulled him aside in the third quarter and spoke to him briefly. After the game, Toney posted to Instagram: “i don’t be mad, s—t just be lame to me." The 20th overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft missed most of training camp with COVID-19 and was hardly utilized in New York's opener against Denver, catching both of his targets for -2 yards. Toney should only be rostered in the deepest fantasy formats. 

Sep 17, 2021, 8:21 AM ET

He's got the diva part down. Now he just needs to work on the wide receiver thing.
This guy makes me "argh" all over, almost in my pants, even. And not the front-facing part. This guy makes my digestive system go "Argh" and wonder if I'm having a Gettleman.

Woof- might get traded to Pittsburgh at this rate. Tomlin can handle talented Divas lol 

He may not even last a full year here 

Boy. 

Rookie wades into the NY media leading with his chin. 

Not smart picking fights with the media, especially in NY.

This could get real ugly.

Kadarius Toney caught two of three targets for 16 yards in the Giants' Week 3 loss to the Falcons. 

With Sterling Shepard and Darius Slayton sidelined with hamstring injuries, Toney was second among Giants receivers in snaps, trailing Kenny Golladay. Toney -- the team's first round draft pick -- had hardly seen the field heading into Week 2, tallying just two catches in Week 1 against the Broncos. Jason Garrett could be forced to use the versatile wideout next week against the Saints if Slayton and Shepard are out. Toney should be picked up in deeper 12-team leagues.

NJ.com's Darryl Slater said Kadarius Toney "might" be the Giants' slot receiver in Week 4 if Sterling Shepard (hamstring) is out. 

It would seem the Giants will be forced to play their first round pick, with whom they have been less than thrilled and clueless about how to effectively utilize his speed and explosiveness. Giants head coach Joe Judge hedged when asked if Toney would step in as the team's slot guy without Shepard but said the Giants are "focused on" getting Toney more touches. “We’ve got to get him the ball, and we definitely want to,” Judge said. “He’s got the ability to make some guys miss in space. He comes off the ball with a different level of speed than a lot of guys. I’m not going to say we’re going to manufacture 50, 60 snaps artificially with him. But if the opportunity presents itself, we’ll definitely try to get him the ball.” Shepard and Darius Slayton exiting early against the Falcons in Week 4 forced the Giants to use Toney on 66 percent of their offensive snaps. He ran 82.4 percent of his pass routes from the slot. He would be an interesting PPR option for fantasy managers scrambling for usable receivers in Week 4. 

RELATED: 

Sterling Shepard

, Darius Slayton

Sep 28, 2021, 9:00 AM ET

6-78 on 9 targets.   he looked really good after the catch.   converted a 3rd and 18 in the first half with some nice shiftiness.

6-78 on 9 targets.   he looked really good after the catch.   converted a 3rd and 18 in the first half with some nice shiftiness.
He definitely showed off his first round talent. He also had one inside route where he snapped the DBs ankles off the line but Jones didn't see him and threw it quick and outside. 

Kadarius Toney caught 6-of-9 targets for 78 yards in the Giants' Week 4 win over the Saints, adding a one-yard rush. 

With Sterling Shepard and Darius Slayton out with hamstring injuries, Toney was a point of emphasis in the slot, drawing a number of designed looks. The No. 20 overall pick was adding some nice yardage after the catch, making the first defender miss more than once. Toney's "rush" was actually a trick play potential pass attempt, but Toney wisely pocketed the ball with no one open. One of his missed connections was a drop, but it was an excellent afternoon for a player who entered the contest with four grabs for 14 yards. Whether Toney has any WR4 juice for Week 5 against the Cowboys will depend on Shepard's health.

Some highlights:

Overall lots of "wow" going on with this play. If Garrett doesn't look at this tape and figure out how to give this kid 6-8 touches a game they are complete idiots. And if Toney can learn a route tree and start being a bigger part of the offense, look out.

With his skill set and quickness, he seems like the kind of guy that will burn out quickly. Once jitterbugs like Dante Hall, Devin Hester, Dion Lewis loose that spark, they kind of devolve into JAGs. So hopefully Toney can burn bright for a few years.

Some highlights:

Overall lots of "wow" going on with this play. If Garrett doesn't look at this tape and figure out how to give this kid 6-8 touches a game they are complete idiots. And if Toney can learn a route tree and start being a bigger part of the offense, look out.

With his skill set and quickness, he seems like the kind of guy that will burn out quickly. Once those jitterbugs like Dante Hall, Devin Hester, Dion Lewis loose that spark, they kind of devolve into JAGs. So hopefully Toney can burn bright for a few years.
Shhhhhh. He was approaching free almost. The lack of pulse in this thread still leaves time to buy cheap. I’d sniff around in dynasty if he puts together another few duds. 

Users who are viewing this thread