What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Offseason IDP Catchall (2 Viewers)

Eagles DL Genard Avery will move to linebacker for the 2021 season.

Philadelphia initially traded its 2021 fourth-round pick to acquire Avery in 2019, seeing the 25-year-old rack up 17 tackles and 1.5 sacks across 19 games in that span. The hope is he's able to function as more than just a rotational player when moved to the Mike/Will positions this upcoming year.

SOURCE: NBC Sports Philadelphia on Twitter

Packers released LB Christian Kirksey.

Kirksey followed ex-DC Mike Pettine to Green Bay in 2020 but, much like the former's most recent years in Cleveland, was oft-injured and available for only 11 games. The 28-year-old was also discouragingly outplayed by undrafted rookie Krys Barnes for much of the year. His release coupled with RT Rick Wagner's will create around $9.8 million in cap space for the Packers in the new league year.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Feb 19, 2021, 4:10 PM ET

Genard Avery as Mike or Will is interesting. I had only seen that he was moving to LB but no designation about which LB spot. I though he'd be more of a pass rush player but a name to keep an eye on, either way. 

Kirksey being cut put the brakes on a drop (Kamal Martin) I would have made in a shallow league. Probably hold now since Martin & Barnes look to be starters at ILB until we see FA / Draft LB destinations.

Flying Elvis said:
Kirksey being cut put the brakes on a drop (Kamal Martin) I would have made in a shallow league.
My thoughts exactly. I have Martin in one league and now he's a hold.

Flying Elvis said:
Genard Avery as Mike or Will is interesting. I had only seen that he was moving to LB but no designation about which LB spot. I though he'd be more of a pass rush player but a name to keep an eye on, either way. 

Kirksey being cut put the brakes on a drop (Kamal Martin) I would have made in a shallow league. Probably hold now since Martin & Barnes look to be starters at ILB until we see FA / Draft LB destinations.
Depends on their scheme - they only used one LB last year for the most part.  Many teams switching to nickel/dime schemes with only one LB.

News should be picking up fast now. A few tidbits:

Lavonte David re-signs with TB.

Keanu Neal not tagged. Another domino down in the potential relevance of Jaylinn Hawkins. 

Malcolm Butler released. Top CB in all my leagues last year (though CBs are quite volatile from year to year)

Kirksey just signed with Houston.   What does this do to Tyrell Adams and does it eat into Cunningham too?  

Gally said:
Kirksey just signed with Houston.   What does this do to Tyrell Adams and does it eat into Cunningham too?  
Adams is a free agent. If he gets a starting job then it'll be elsewhere. This likely means McKinney is getting whacked in the next couple days and Cunningham is still the 3 downer.

Has Kirksey signed for starter money though? 
No, but since they did the same thing with Ingram and the roster is a disaster I think Houston is signing other teams cuts so they don't count against the comp pick formula. If that's the case then the extent of their activity the next couple of weeks will be more of the same.

Nailed it. McKinney traded to the Dolphins for Shaq Lawson. Tough to be a Texans fan these days. 
This has to be a hit to Jerome Baker. It'll be interesting to see who becomes the single LB.  From Tom Kislingbury's summary:

• LBs are the last consideration for this defense [and the other similar schemes in the NFL].  As such they’re much simpler.
  • The Dolphins used a 1-LB package on 530 snaps [53%].  Both of those figures were the second-highest in the NFL.  
  • When not in single-LB the team used an orthodox 2-LB package on 449 snaps [45%].  This was a lot lower than the standard NFL base rate of 69%.
  • They ran 3 orthodox LBs on just 16 snaps [2%] all season long.

This has to be a hit to Jerome Baker. It'll be interesting to see who becomes the single LB.  From Tom Kislingbury's summary:

• LBs are the last consideration for this defense [and the other similar schemes in the NFL].  As such they’re much simpler.
  • The Dolphins used a 1-LB package on 530 snaps [53%].  Both of those figures were the second-highest in the NFL.  
  • When not in single-LB the team used an orthodox 2-LB package on 449 snaps [45%].  This was a lot lower than the standard NFL base rate of 69%.
  • They ran 3 orthodox LBs on just 16 snaps [2%] all season long.
I'm beyond a broken record, but Jerome Baker is not a good player. This makes him an in-season consideration only imho.

The Dolphins have rotated a ton of LBs through and I'd put my money on this trade being an acquisition of a guy they like to take over that 'unorthodox' lead role. However, this is the Patriots defensive tree. If they really are running a scheme similar to what Flores ran here in NE, it's likely to result in the same IDP wasteland where no LB breaks 70% of snaps. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Flying Elvis said:
The Dolphins have rotated a ton of LBs through and I'd put my money on this trade being an acquisition of a guy they like to take over that 'unorthodox' lead role. However, this is the Patriots defensive tree. If they really are running a scheme similar to what Flores ran here in NE, it's likely to result in the same IDP wasteland where no LB breaks 70% of snaps. 
Yep. This sounds right. Kislingbury did indeed break it down and made it sound that way. It's Flores running the old NE scheme, which wasn't very friendly to linebackers for iDP purposes. 

Tennessee is sure trying to increase their pass rush with Dupree and Autry.  I wonder if that means that Clowney is moving on.  Although, Clowney would fit with those two additions and that line would be crazy good with Clowney, Simmons, Autry, and Dupree up front.  Pass rush probably wouldn't be a problem anymore.

Do you think this hurts Simmons (Autry signing)?  I personally think it will help him.  

Plenty of movement since FA opened. 

DE:
Trey Hendrickson to Cincy. I like this move for his value, especially with Lawson signing with NYJ.

Yannick Ngakoue to LV. I don't know enough about the Raiders front to know if this is good for him or not. I do know it is the nail in the coffin for Ferrel. Oof.

Deatrich Wise stays in NE; Henry Anderson joins him; nobody cares.

LB:
Matthew Judon to NE. Edge guys are for big play leagues.

Leonard Williams to NYG - not loving this as a 3-4 DE or 3-4 OLB. 

Jarrad Davis to NYJ. Likely penciled in as starting ILB alongside Mosely but hasn't shown the ability to be 3DLB. 

S:
John Johnson to CLE seems like a push. Still a stud, still behind a weak LB core but a good DL core. 

Rayshawn Jenkins to the Jags is a nice landing spot. Doubtful the 2020 draftees at S will overtake him. 

Do you think this hurts Simmons (Autry signing)?  I personally think it will help him.  
I agree, Gally. I couldn't understand why they dealt Casey last spring. This seems like a correction. Simmons should wreak havoc in 2021. Good looking 3- and 4-down sets with Autry at 3/5T and Dupree and Landry on the edges.

Yannick Ngakoue to LV. I don't know enough about the Raiders front to know if this is good for him or not. I do know it is the nail in the coffin for Ferrel. Oof.
I agree it hurts Ferrell, but Ngakoue fit into a very similar scheme in Jacksonville with Josh Allen and Calais Campbell. Ferrell will play big end in Gus Bradley's 50-fronts with Crosby and Ngakoue outside. The challenge Bradley has is to get one of those two to play in space or they'll get lit up like Atlanta has the last couple years under Dan Quinn.

Haason Reddick to the Panthers.  I assume this is a wash for his value in big play leagues.  Contract is one year for $6M with incentives to get it to $8M.  

Last edited by a moderator:
DE:
Trey Hendrickson to Cincy. I like this move for his value, especially with Lawson signing with NYJ.

S:
John Johnson to CLE seems like a push. Still a stud, still behind a weak LB core but a good DL core. 
Looking at their old teams, I assume Davenport now moves up, and Rapp/Burgess could move into a nice spot.  Has anyone seen anything about speculation about who wins the Rams SS spot?

Looking at their old teams, I assume Davenport now moves up, and Rapp/Burgess could move into a nice spot.  Has anyone seen anything about speculation about who wins the Rams SS spot?
LAR seemed happy with Jordan Fuller last year. He took the job from Rapp then got hurt and missed time, then took it back to finish the season. That awesome google doc you linked early has Kislingbury stating it slightly different but I think the conclusion is the same for this year - Fuller & Rapp are both lined up to benefit from JJ's relocation.

Ohio State LB Baron Browning ran a 40-yard dash in an unofficial 4.58 seconds at Tuesday's pro day. 

Browning's entire pro day was knocked out of the park. He measured in at 6-foot-3 and 245-pounds, which is slightly heavier than his listed playing weight, and proceeded to crush every drill. The 4.58 40-yard dash was impressive enough, but Browning also jumped 40 inches in the vertical jump and 130 inches in the broad jump, as well as ran a 6.78-second three-cone drill. All of those numbers are outstanding for a linebacker. Do not be surprised if this kind of performance moves Browning up some boards. 

How much have you watched him play? His processing is atrocious. Sure, when he guesses right he makes splash plays cause he's a special athlete. That is not a frequent occurrence though. Physical gifts at this position don't matter if you consistently put yourself in a poor position to make plays. And it isn't like he has poor coaching or other factors to excuse it; he's coming from a factory school.

Always appreciate the heads up and the disagreements in here. Makes this place better. For all I know, I wouldn't have the grain of salt with the guy or investigated it further once draft time came. I'd be susceptible to groupthink and "CHECK OUT BARON BROWNING" headlines and such. So it's good to see healthy debate about him. Like last year, I was unaware of how raw and not ready to play Davion Taylor was and wasted a late-round pick on him that could have been used better.

Tyrell Adams signed with Buffalo.  This probably takes all of the value away as he will be just depth and special teams there.  You can probably drop him way down your lists..

I started to make a run at DE Josh Allen, but it sounds like there's a decent chance he becomes Josh Allen LB.  There's chatter Jacksonville is likely to go 3-4.

Gally said:
Tyrell Adams signed with Buffalo.  This probably takes all of the value away as he will be just depth and special teams there.  You can probably drop him way down your lists..
Yeah, saw that. No bueno for those of us that roster him. There goes that ship in the night.

Yeah, saw that. No bueno for those of us that roster him. There goes that ship in the night.
I'm guessing he's to 2021 what AJ Klein was to 2020. That's a good thing for our purposes because the Bills showed a willingness to stick with at least 2 LB on the field at all times even if one of Edmonds or Milano are out. That isn't the case with all/most teams anymore.

Tulsa LB Zaven Collins ran a 4.67 second 40-yard dash at his pro day workout.

Collins' (6'4/259) 40-yard dash was right in line with what a player of his size should be running. His 35" vertical and broad jump of 10'2-inches contributed to his excellent 9.55 RAS. He was awarded the Nagurski Award by the FWAA for being the top defensive player in the FBS. Collins has the size and athleticism to thrive in either a Sam or Mike role in a 4-3 defense or as an outside linebacker in a 3-4 alignment. He projects as no worse than a second round selection in the upcoming 2021 NFL Draft.

This year is bizarre in the number of EDGE dudes who have good to great to insane measureables.  It's bizarre x2, because none of them are really ranked that high.  Phillips would be, but injuries

Anyway, if you love this position, and what kind of freak are you if you don't, here's some names that all pass the eyeball test:

Top dawgs:

Jaelen Phillips
Kwitty Paye
Jason Oweh

Joe Tryon
Carlos Basham Jr
Payton Turner
Jordan Smith
Dayo Odeyingbo
Elerson Smith

ALL of those guys, if you YouTube, and skim profiles, get you excited.  

I even left out guys like Olujari and Rousseau, they aren't EDGE ideals, IMO.   

As an example, Elerson Smith.  Northern Iowa.  Ranked in the 180's, by TDN.  

6'6"
34" arms
4.75 40
41" vertical
7.0 3 cone

Those are some lovely stats.  All these guys really hit the thresholds.

Jordan Smith hasn't had pro day yet, looks like Jason Taylor/Dion Jordan. I hope he stats it up at pro day.  

End of my IDP drafts (they go 6-10 rounds deep), right now my plan is to grab 2 or 3 or more of these guys and taxi squad them.   

This year is bizarre in the number of EDGE dudes who have good to great to insane measureables.  It's bizarre x2, because none of them are really ranked that high.  Phillips would be, but injuries

Anyway, if you love this position, and what kind of freak are you if you don't, here's some names that all pass the eyeball test:

Top dawgs:

Jaelen Phillips
Kwitty Paye
Jason Oweh
I haven't looked at idp rookie ranking, but knee jerk - it's probably a production thing (especially Oweh) 

Just a few tidbits in case you were on vacation:

• Aaron Donald in trouble with the law.  Appears to have pummeled some poor guy in a bar fight.  Not sure if there will be any ramifications but could be facing a suspension.
  • Clowney signed 1 yr deal with the Browns.  It's a great landing spot for him as the defense should focus on Garrett leaving Clowney free to get after it.  Now will he stay on the field?
  • Aldon Smith signed 1 yr deal the Seahawks.  He looked great to start last season with Dallas and then nosedived.  Was that just him getting back into football shape?  He might be a sneaky pickup if available with Seattle opposite Dunlap.  

Just a few tidbits in case you were on vacation:

• Aaron Donald in trouble with the law.  Appears to have pummeled some poor guy in a bar fight.  Not sure if there will be any ramifications but could be facing a suspension.
  • Clowney signed 1 yr deal with the Browns.  It's a great landing spot for him as the defense should focus on Garrett leaving Clowney free to get after it.  Now will he stay on the field?
  • Aldon Smith signed 1 yr deal the Seahawks.  He looked great to start last season with Dallas and then nosedived.  Was that just him getting back into football shape?  He might be a sneaky pickup if available with Seattle opposite Dunlap.  
Clowney: Imagine how many sacks he would have playing opposite a premier pass rusher like Miles Garrett or JJ Watt in his prime!

Smith: The second half of his season wasn't so terrible. Of course he didn't live up to those first three games, but he was DE31 after their bye week.  Not great, but somewhat useful.  Don't forget Hyder and the early Darrell Taylor/LJ Collier, though - it seems messy there.

Users who are viewing this thread