What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I plan to build a compound. Tell me what I need. (1 Viewer)

Multiple shipping containers would make a good start for an outer wall and then build in from there. I saw some redneck builder show and they dropped a few of them in the woods and then went to town from there. You see these people making these mini-houses from them all the time, so they are functional. 

Wait a minute, this isn't a serious thread? Okay--a moat filled with sharks with lasers attached is the obvious answer.  

Nathan R. Jessep said:
Kinda joking. Kinda serious. 

Just started thinking about what I need. Solar power to be off the grid in instances such as this winter storm fiasco. Backup whole-house generator. Snow chains. ATV. You get the picture. 

What will make a good compound? Food, whiskey, guns and ammo will be well-stocked at all times, so those are a given.

What else do we need??

GO!
This year I got a place that approaches compound status, and have some of this stuff, except:

- No solar. We have industrial utility poles run into the property, 40 Acres, and we do have a whole home Generac (propane). But I’m very interested in adding solar with battery backup, and we have the space for it (though I hate covering some piece of land with those, love the concept of limited or no electricity needs). 

- Propane to heat the garage/apartment, oil to heat the main house. I’d love to dig a well for geothermal,  but it’s up on a mountain and a lot of rock and I imagine would be a ##### to dig. Not sure what we could do here, maybe stuck with the fossil fuels 

- we have a well with all the water filtration we need  

- septic tank, but who is gonna empty it if the world goes south?  Probably need to add a composting toilet, at least out at the horse barn or by the guest house (or a separate out house?), just in case the world craters and we can’t pump it 

- Have an ATV (Polaris Ranger side by side 6 seater), but no snow chains for that or the car. Thankfully our car is 4WD otherwise we wouldn’t have been able to get up and down the driveway which is long and winding with ditches on either side and despite having a local guy plow it, was a sheet of ice this week.  Put it in 4WD and basically crawled slowly down to the main road. But was nervous.  Could also use snow tracks for the Ranger but frankly seems like a waste of money and PIA. Maybe just need a snowmobile 

- need spare gas tanks in the garage filled for the ATV and car  

- probably should put bigger wheels and off road tires on the car and have it lifted.  Better yet, I should probably pick up and leave up there one of these new Ford Broncos. They’re beasts and are the appropriate compound vehicle, will tackle anything I bet  

- Have an over under shotgun with plenty of ammo, and an ancient 22 rifle with no ammo. Could probably use one higher powered/modern rifle with a scope, to cover the property from the house. 

- security is OK, could be better, if we’re talking zombie compound. 

- nice sized finished basement, but another full underground prepper shelter would probably be needed for compound status. 

- do have 8 walkie talkies, 4 stationed at the house; two at the guest house; two in the garage with the Polaris.

- I’m thinking we need some drones, so at any time we could see what’s happening on other parts of the property/see what others are up to nearby 

- need more food snd storage in the basement. Currently no second refrigerator and no pantry set up down there. Seems like a must, along with tons of canned goods and storage. Electric stove top so we could get by.

- more chopped firewood is a good idea. Don’t have an axe or a chainsaw, probably should get one of each, so I could cut some trees for firewood as needed. 

- could use more cameras around the house and property. Just seems like a PIA to install anything away from the house, have to run electric and some kind of data line I guess unless we place WiFi repeaters along the way, which sounds expensive. 

I’m sure there’s more I’m missing here. 

This year I got a place that approaches compound status, and have some of this stuff, except:

- No solar. We have industrial utility poles run into the property, 40 Acres, and we do have a whole home Generac (propane). But I’m very interested in adding solar with battery backup, and we have the space for it (though I hate covering some piece of land with those, love the concept of limited or no electricity needs). 

- Propane to heat the garage/apartment, oil to heat the main house. I’d love to dig a well for geothermal,  but it’s up on a mountain and a lot of rock and I imagine would be a ##### to dig. Not sure what we could do here, maybe stuck with the fossil fuels 

- septic tank, but who is gonna empty it if the world goes south?  Probably need to add a composting toilet, at least out at the horse barn or by the guest house (or a separate out house?), just in case the world craters and we can’t pump it 

- Have an ATV (Polaris Ranger side by side 6 seater), but no snow chains for that or the car. Thankfully our car is 4WD otherwise we wouldn’t have been able to get up and down the driveway which is long and winding with ditches on either side and despite having a local guy plow it, was a sheet of ice this week.  Put it in 4WD and basically crawled slowly down to the main road. But was nervous.  Could also use snow tracks for the Ranger but frankly seems like a waste of money and PIA. Maybe just need a snowmobile 

- probably should put bigger wheels and off road tires on the car and have it lifted.  Better yet, I should probably pick up and leave up there one of these new Ford Broncos. They’re beasts and are the appropriate compound vehicle, will tackle anything I bet  

- Have an over under shotgun with plenty of ammo, and an ancient 22 rifle with no ammo. Could probably use one higher powered/modern rifle with a scope, to cover the property from the house. 

- nice sized finished basement, but another full underground prepper shelter would probably be needed for compound status. 

- do have 8 walkie talkies, 4 stationed at the house; two at the guest house; two in the garage with the Polaris.

- I’m thinking we need some drones, so at any time we could see what’s happening on other parts of the property/see what others are up to nearby 

- need more food snd storage in the basement. Currently no second refrigerator and no pantry set up down there. Seems like a must, along with tons of canned goods and storage. Electric stove top so we could get by.

- more chopped firewood is a good idea. Don’t have an axe or a chainsaw, probably should get one of each, so I could cut some trees for firewood as needed. 

- could use more cameras around the house and property. Just seems like a PIA to install anything away from the house, have to run electric and some kind of data line I guess unless we place WiFi repeaters along the way, which sounds expensive. 

Claymores and shooting positions in a lazy W formation

Great ideas! FTR, I'm talking more of a "get off my lawn" compound, not so much a zombie apocalypse one, but I like the way you guys think. :wub:  

If you’re thinking potentially longterm, you need seed and equipment to start a garden. Just make sure it’s not that Monsanto garbage seed that won’t produce food with seeds you can re-plant.

healthy and genuine relationships are not transactional: preparedness relationships are not based on simple exchange like “I made him dinner, so he’ll fix my radios.” It’s closer to “I made him dinner while he was busy doing childcare for several people in the community, and some of those people help me fix my car when it breaks down.” Even at this larger scale, it’s still not transactional: maybe you’re just making dinner for him because he’s hungry and you hope he eats. There’s no need to keep track of who is contributing what, and cold calculations like that do not make for strong communities. Cold calculations make for competitive, instead of cooperative, interpersonal relations.

No attack helicopters? 

How's the internet speed?

Kinda joking. Kinda serious.

Just started thinking about what I need. Solar power to be off the grid in instances such as this winter storm fiasco. Backup whole-house generator. Snow chains. ATV. You get the picture.

What will make a good compound? Food, whiskey, guns and ammo will be well-stocked at all times, so those are a given.

What else do we need??

GO!
trusted courier

just bookmarking this for myself :coffee:

also I realized just now another thing that I need... recipes. How to make stuff. Food, mostly. But other handy things too like adhesives, lubricants, etc.

I got your back.

If you know what I mean.

also I realized just now another thing that I need... recipes. How to make stuff. Food, mostly. But other handy things too like adhesives, lubricants, etc.
I haven’t read this entire topic, but I probably will, as I’m a dream prepper who would love to be in the UP or other non human infistated area… if an EMP were to occur, most of all of your off grid stuff is still going to get fried unless everything is in some type of faraday box. WAY TO SUCK ME BACK INTO THIS! Thanks !

I got your back.

If you know what I mean.
Oh damn, now I'll be seeing ads for weeks.

How has nobody mentioned underground escape Tunnels? You will need a food source long term. Growing could work, but I would want to be able to hunt quick. Do they make electric snowmobiles you could hunt from? Definitely need solar power imo. Traps, bows, fishing, and gardening off the top of my head. Hidden solar powered cameras outside looking in for defense purposes. Oxygen or off site hidden air vents in case they try and smoke you out.

How has nobody mentioned underground escape Tunnels? You will need a food source long term. Growing could work, but I would want to be able to hunt quick. Do they make electric snowmobiles you could hunt from? Definitely need solar power imo. Traps, bows, fishing, and gardening off the top of my head. Hidden solar powered cameras outside looking in for defense purposes. Oxygen or off site hidden air vents in case they try and smoke you out.
Quality ideas here. Thanks! Except for the snowmobiles. We get snow MAYBE once a year for 0.5-2 days. :lol: perhaps a golf cart though.

Large Capacity Water Purification Method (filter)

2nd Water Purification Method (water distiller)

3rd Water Purification Method (bleach)

Bathtub Water Storage Liners

Containers for Collecting/Transporting Water

Containers for Storing Water

Rain Gutter Catchers

Water Bottles or Canteens 32oz

Water Reservoirs 100oz - CamelBak®

Water Siphon

Off-grid Energy Source (example: generator)

2nd Off-grid Energy Source (example: solar panels)

3rd Off-grid Energy Source (example: wind turbine)

Car Power Inverter

Pump 12 gauge shotgun (perfect for home defense and you can change the barrel and hunt with it)

Pistol with hollow points

stun gun

mace

pepper ball gun

taser

knife

Energy Storage (deep cycle car batteries) + 1000 Watt Power Inverter

Extension Cords

Landscape Lighting Using Rechargeable AA Batteries/Solar Battery Charger

Portable Solar Charger

Rechargeable AA Batteries

Regular Batteries AAA, AA, C, D (flashlights, radios, etc.)Charcoal Briquettes

Firewood + Chainsaw, Ax & Hatchet

Fire-starters (magnesium, lint, tinder, lighter fluid)

Gasoline 5

Gallon Gas Cans

Gas Siphon

Kerosene

Propane

Matches & Lighters

Off-grid Warmth Source (example: fireplace)

2nd Off-grid Warmth Source (example: propane heater)

3rd Off-grid Warmth Source (example: solar windows)

Blankets - Wool, Jean, Down, Heavy

Coats (for below zero degree weather and waterproof)

Cold Weather Clothes/Snow Clothes

Insulated Boots

Sleeping Bags – Below Zero Degrees

Well Insulated Room (where the whole family can sleep)

Wool SocksOff-grid Light Source (example: kerosene lamp)

2nd Off-grid Light Source (example: crank lantern)

3rd Off-grid Light Source (example: solar light)

Candles

Candle Lanterns / Battery Lanterns (helps to prevent home-fires)

Flashlights – LED Battery Operated & Kinetic or Crank

Landscaping Lights

Headlamps

Glow Sticks

Allergy Medicine (Antihistamine)

Antacid

Antibiotics

Anti-Constipation Capsules

Anti-Diarrhea Pills

Aspirin (Heart Problems)

Cranberry Pills (Bladder Infections)

Cough Drops

Ibuprofen® (Anti-Inflammatory)

Tylenol® (Fever Reducer)

Charcoal Capsules (Poison Absorber)

Prescriptions

Vitamins

Antibiotic Ointment

Anti-Fungal

Antiseptic- Alcohol Prep Pads 200ct Box

Bandages - Triangle

Band Aids - Waterproof

Quickclot® – Stops Bleeding Fast

Blood Pressure Kit (Manual)

Burn Cream (Lidocaine)

Dental Emergency Kit

First Aid Booklet

Gauze 4x4 Pads & Rolls

Hemorrhoid Cream

Instant Cold Packs

Krazy Glue®

Medical Tape

Medical Scissors/Trauma Sheers

Moleskin

Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline)

Rash Cream (Hydrocortisone)

Headlamp/Flashlight – Bright LED

Leatherman® (remove splinters & bullets)

Scalpel & Razors

Sewing Kit

Snake Bite Kit

Splint –SAM® (can splint every bone in the body)

Support (Knee, Ankle, Wrist)

Surgical Gloves

Surgical Masks

Self-Adherent Wrap - Coban®

Thermometer (Non-Digital)

Tourniquet – CAT(2)

Tweezers

Yeast Infection Cream

Hygiene Checklist Hygiene

Baby Wipes

Barber Comb & Scissors

Chap-stick - Carmex®

Cotton Swabs

Dental Floss Deodorant

Hair Brush & Hair-ties

Hand Sanitizer

Hair Shampoo & Conditioner

Lime Oil (removes sap & soot)

Lotion

Nail Clippers

Off-grid Toilet

Sanitary Pads

Soap - Bar Soap / Body Wash

Soap – Antibacterial Hand Soap

Soap – Laundry Detergent

Straight Razor & Sharpener

Toilet Paper

Toothbrushes

Toothpaste

Tweezers

Off-grid Communication Source (ex: shortwave radio)

2nd Off-grid Communication Source (ex: cb radio)

3rd Off-grid Communication Source (ex: ham radio)

AM/FM Radio + List of Local Radio Stations

Battery Bank

Cheat-sheet for Morse Code

Cheat-sheet for Phonetic Alphabet

Emergency Numbers saved on your cell phone & posted in your home

Family & Friends – Addresses, Phone Numbers, & Communication Tree

Faraday Cage

Flares

Forever Stamped Postcards, Forever Stamps, Stationery, Pencils

Long-range Antennas

Maps of Local Areas & National Atlas, Compass, GPS

NOAA Weather Radio

Walkie-Talkies

Whistles

5 L hydration pack (Camelbak or similar)

Empty gallon milk jugs (x2) for untreated water

Chlorine tablets

Activated charcoal tablets

Plastic gallon ziplock bags (x1 package)

55-65L backpack

20L emergency/patrol pack

Waterproof bag (5-10L)

Mesh bag (5-10L)

Baking soda (0.5 kg)

Isopropyl alcohol (300 mL)

Hydrogen peroxide (300 mL)

Ibuprofen/pain relievers (60 capsules)

Sterile supply of gauze and wraps

Antibiotic ointment (x1)

Surgical stapler (x1)

Suture kit (x1)

Lensatic Compass (Bearing, Azimuth)

Local road maps (at minimum, laminated if possible)

Notepad, 3 pens/pencils

Rain poncho (thick polypropylene)

Sleeping Bag (0°C rated)

2-Man Tent/Tarp

6 bungee cords or 100 ft cord

1 pound nuts per estimated meal (5 lb bag)

Wide brimmed hat

Polarized sunglasses

9 mm Handgun (due to availability of ammo)

Inside the Waistband Concealed Carry Holster

.22LR Lightweight Hunting Rifle

Bore brush, 1 oz. CLP

Utility knife (Gerber or similar)

The post above this one figured to cover everything.. but it doesn't have hookers and blow - see page 1 - so I say you ignore that nonsense and just continue to rely on the FBG community
I was going to say some kind of 1st aid kit, stuff to make smores, and the stuff you need to brew your own beer.

Quality ideas here. Thanks! Except for the snowmobiles. We get snow MAYBE once a year for 0.5-2 days. :lol: perhaps a golf cart though.
Need something faster to hunt and run if needed. I also would try to put my compound up on some elevation if possible. Also, gotta be near a giant field of Mary Jane's finest.

I've had a few months of freeze dried foods stored up for probably 10-15 years now. Also have a bunch of water storage cubes, I think about 50 gallons worth (that I swap out every two years), as well as a couple of water filters (there is a river within walking distance). We always have a pretty full pantry of canned/dried goods. Have a duel-fuel generator that we bought after losing two fridge/freezers worth of food a few years back during the PG&E shutoffs in Northern California, and have added a Jackery solar "generator" (really a big battery) for use at tailgates as well as backup/emergency power. A couple of indoor-use propane heaters. Roles of plastic sheeting and tarps. A bucket with toilet seat and a plan to deal with sanitation. And we have plenty of tailgate/camping gear that can be used for cooking, shelter, etc.

While I'm hopeful that the SHTF scenario doesn't come in my lifetime or my kid's, I have been through power and water outages that have lasted multiple days a handful of times and feel pretty well prepared now to deal with those.

Bumping this reply from shortage thread here to my compound thread, so as not to derail the shortage thread... and I'm just curious.. of the things you mentioned here, can you estimate what you have had to spend thus far on all that (aside from the canned/dried goods)?

I've had a few months of freeze dried foods stored up for probably 10-15 years now. Also have a bunch of water storage cubes, I think about 50 gallons worth (that I swap out every two years), as well as a couple of water filters (there is a river within walking distance). We always have a pretty full pantry of canned/dried goods. Have a duel-fuel generator that we bought after losing two fridge/freezers worth of food a few years back during the PG&E shutoffs in Northern California, and have added a Jackery solar "generator" (really a big battery) for use at tailgates as well as backup/emergency power. A couple of indoor-use propane heaters. Roles of plastic sheeting and tarps. A bucket with toilet seat and a plan to deal with sanitation. And we have plenty of tailgate/camping gear that can be used for cooking, shelter, etc.

While I'm hopeful that the SHTF scenario doesn't come in my lifetime or my kid's, I have been through power and water outages that have lasted multiple days a handful of times and feel pretty well prepared now to deal with those.

Bumping this reply from shortage thread here to my compound thread, so as not to derail the shortage thread... and I'm just curious.. of the things you mentioned here, can you estimate what you have had to spend thus far on all that (aside from the canned/dried goods)?

Hard to say, as I started accumulating slowly over time right when I got divorced and had very little disposable income (living in a small apartment), so I would just buy something here and there. First was the freeze dried food, you can buy kits for a grand or two, or I just bought a 10# can when I could for $50-$80 depending. So would guess I spent $400-$500 over time. Back then I just kept a few one gallon bottles of water in a closet, but when I moved to a house I upgraded to the water cubes for a couple hundred bucks, and a few bucks for water preservation drops. A roll or two of plastic sheeting from Home Depot for $60-$70 and a few sheets of plywood. Five gallon bucket and toilet seat and some sanitation gear for $30-$50. Various things like N95 masks and goggles (fires and smoke are the big issues here out West), a machete (gotta have one of those), etc. And of course the tailgate and camping stuff that can be repurposed has been accumulated over 30 years.

The big purchases were the generator for $650 or so at Costco, and the Jackery was like $1500 with solar panels (but we use that several times a year at tailgates so easier to justify the expense).

Users who are viewing this thread