What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Things That Annoy Me (1 Viewer)

Ron Swanson

Footballguy
1) Appetizers sold in uneven numbers.

2) Beers sold in glasses that "look" like pint glasses but are actually 12 fl. oz.

3) Kilometers. Honestly, anything metric. Except grams.  Grams are awesome.

4) Unsalted anything. "Lightly Salted"is fine.  "Unsalted" is unacceptable.

5) Any beer that is not beer flavored.

6) Switching time.  Keep DLS all year.

7) Cars with big red bows.

8.  Auto Warranty Spam Calls

I will be adding to this list as y'all remind me of other worthy items.

Last edited by a moderator:
1) Appetizers sold in uneven numbers.

2) Beers sold in glasses that "look" like pint glasses but are actually 12 fl. oz.

3) Kilometers. Honestly, anything metric. Except grams.  Grams are awesome.

4) Unsalted anything. "Lightly Salted"is fine.  "Unsalted" is unacceptable.

I will be adding to this list as y'all remind me of other worthy items.
I don’t know. I love a half baker’s dozen of cheese logs.  

I would not dream of buying butter with added salt and I'm kinda okay with odd numbered appetizers - like 3 platters of nachos, right?

Almost everyone in the left lane.
Inconsiderate and oblivious to everybody around them, not just the car directly behind them, which they continue to stare at, doing nothing.  It's not a minor lapse either, and rarely incidental.  Most will make you find a way around them.  It's like the guy in a parking spot who takes longer to leave when he knows another person is waiting for "his" spot.  This is fact, btw, there've been studies. 

It also impacts and endangers surrounding vehicles due to excessive lane changing and speeds it creates.  Chain reactions.  The sheer numbers of people they continue to obstruct because the only world they live in is their own can reach the hundreds on a single, hour-long trip.  So selfish.  All they have to do is put a blinker on, with a slight move of the steering wheel, but no.

They should be targeted and ticketed, no question, as I've heard is finally happening in some states.

Correct me if I’m wrong but don’t some recipes call for unsalted butter and don’t turn out as well if you don’t use it?
You can always add salt. Unless a recipe calls for salted butter I prefer unsalted- even then I’d only use it in a baking recipe. Salted butter has a lot of salt in it. Seasoning is perhaps the most important aspect of cooking, and something you want to be able to control. 

You can always add salt. Unless a recipe calls for salted butter I prefer unsalted- even then I’d only use it in a baking recipe. Salted butter has a lot of salt in it. Seasoning is perhaps the most important aspect of cooking, and something you want to be able to control. 
Or just use normal salted butter and add less or no additional salt to the recipe.

Some of us geezers that grew up in the 1970s remember the big attempted push to the metric system back then. But our country was too ignorant to follow through with it.
Exactly. It is a clear failure.  So why is it still printed on every damn ruler, yardstick, and tape measure I buy?  It's like Sony still trying to market Betamax or something.

Some of us geezers that grew up in the 1970s remember the big attempted push to the metric system back then. But our country was too simple-minded and ignorant to follow through with it.
Yep.  It was taught in school and there were public service announcements all of the time telling US citizens to get ready but it never really happened except for some liquids containers (soda bottles, booze, etc) and illegal drugs.

Yep.  It was taught in school and there were public service announcements all of the time telling US citizens to get ready but it never really happened except for some liquids containers (soda bottles, booze, etc) and illegal drugs.
Fortunately these guys didn't change their name to The Yards. But probably only because the Yardbirds had already come and gone. 

Metric vs. Imperial Ratings

F >> C, C is too coarse and is stupid

miles > km, miles roughly equaling minutes for long car trips gives it a slight edge

cm/mm > in, sorry Imperial, but nobody wants to measure things in 1/16's

lbs > kg, close but kg is again too coarse

g > oz, g is more useful and doesn't have a stupid conversion to its larger unit

fl oz > mL/L, I mean what is a mL?  you're either stuck with too fine or too coarse.  dL would maybe work if people would use it.

lbf > N, nobody wants to deal with the Newton, so you end up using g and kg, which isn't even right strictly speaking

Some of us geezers that grew up in the 1970s remember the big attempted push to the metric system back then. But our country was too simple-minded and ignorant to follow through with it.
And if they did change to metric, people would get used to it in a few weeks.

I may or may no be welcome back in a local bar because of my constant complaining about #2 above.  What makes it worse is the chalk board advertises the price per pint... and they actually have pint glasses... but they just use which ever shaker they grab.  Apparently making a stand, and rejecting beers in the fake pints does not go over well with management at that place. 

Now we're stuck with Daylight Savings which is just about as dumb, and our politicians won't do away with it. DLS causes 20% more heart attacks in the Spring when we lose an hour.

DLS causes 20% more heart attacks in the Spring when we lose an hour.
this didn't seem right so I googled it - not quite the same but still pretty weird.  

Switching over to daylight saving time, and losing one hour of sleep, raised the risk of having a heart attack the following Monday by 25 percent, compared to other Mondays during the year, according to a new U.S. study released on Saturday.

this didn't seem right so I googled it - not quite the same but still pretty weird.  

Switching over to daylight saving time, and losing one hour of sleep, raised the risk of having a heart attack the following Monday by 25 percent, compared to other Mondays during the year, according to a new U.S. study released on Saturday.
How would this be any different on any night where one loses an hour of sleep? 

People who won't shovel their sidewalks. 

I get it sometimes you might be out of town for that weekend or you may be sick--things happen. But If I have to drag my lazy, fat self out there in -5 degree weather and shovel, you need to. 

I get it sometimes you might be out of town for that weekend or you may be sick--things happen. But If I have to drag my lazy, fat self out there in -5 degree weather and shovel, you need to. 
Use to not bother me. Now we have a new neighbor from a southern state and they haven't shoveled one time this winter. 

Agreed. Cranberries and zombies work well together though.
Took me a few minutes to figure out the connection, pretty sure I have that CD somewhere.  I was trying to think of another Denis Leary bit that had zombies and was confused.

Ron Swanson said:
Exactly. It is a clear failure.  So why is it still printed on every damn ruler, yardstick, and tape measure I buy?  It's like Sony still trying to market Betamax or something.
Maybe those products are also sold in every other country in the world?

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
Popeyes employees who act as if the small packets of honey are deducted from their paychecks. 
Same with ketchup - they hand you two and almost scowl as if you're taking it directly from their child.  I just lock eyes and flat out say "that covers 8 of the fries, how about a few more"

You ask a Taco Bell drive thru worker for some Fire Sauce and they'll give you enough to swim in.  

Courtjester said:

The stupid girl in the blue Jeep that visits across the street not only somehow takes about 3 spots worth of space on a street with limited parking on a good day, but she and her more stupid dad think my son and I shoveled the spot right in front of my sidewalk specially for them.

Dr_Zaius said:
Metric vs. Imperial Ratings

cm/mm > in, sorry Imperial, but nobody wants to measure things in 1/16's
I disagree to an extent. I can visually divide something in half over and over to get 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 and be pretty accurate.

I can’t do that in tenths. This maybe even works better for dividing liquid volume.

Courtjester said:

Mile High said:
Use to not bother me. Now we have a new neighbor from a southern state and they haven't shoveled one time this winter. 
Speaking as someone who’s always lived in the South, I’m not sure I knew this was expected.  So every time it snows you are supposed to clear your entire sidewalk for pedestrians?

zamboni said:
Until the late 90s/early 00s, any construction project with Federal money in it had to be in metric. I had subcontractors & suppliers that wouldn't work on these jobs because they were metric.

Lengths and distances are pretty easy to convert on the fly, but stuff like volume, capacity, and loads were beyond most folks.

The Feds finally punted and started using imperial measurements again, though some Army Corps of Engineers guys will still write out stuff in metric then convert it for the unwashed masses.

I wish we had converted back in the 70s. 

Speaking as someone who’s always lived in the South, I’m not sure I knew this was expected.  So every time it snows you are supposed to clear your entire sidewalk for pedestrians?
I don’t live where there are sidewalks. But my daughter does and I believe you have 24 hours after a storm to shovel your sidewalk or you could be fined

Users who are viewing this thread