What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The perfect album for those that graduated high school in the early 90’s, 40 oz to freedom (1 Viewer)

CGRdrJoe

Footballguy
this was archived but I think it still holds true 

Okay time to do a semi break down of what I think is the single greates CD for a house party. You can keep this thing going straight through and never have to worry about a mix. Of course this is not for a sipping wine party, but more of a keg affair with a side of smoke if that is your thing. This was the first CD I ever owned in my life and I still remember buying it at a show my Sophmore year. GB these guy's being our school band.  

1. Waiting For My Ruca - Always loved to piss off my parents by booming the deep bass, possibly the most mell chill song on the whole album. 

2. 40oz. To Freedom - "and the answers always waiting at the Liqour store, 40 oz's to freedom so I talk that walk." Are you Kidding me? Solid Gold.

3. Smoke Two Joints - One of many covers, kept it true by keeping it Reggae but possibly bottom 3 for me on this CD. I guess just over played down in So Cal but always a crowd pleaser.

4. We're Only Gonna Die For Our Arrogance - Another cover, but I actually like this version better than the Bad Religion OG, possibly because of the memorable part Occy has to it in the Blue Iguana. 

5. Don't Push - Smooth Reggae style song that keeps your head bumpen and the bong a smoken.

6. 5446 That's My Number/Ball And Chain - a semi Toots cover but an awesome song live with the give it to me lines, nothing better than young hot chicks screaming give it to me. 

7. Badfish - One of Sublime's true classic songs that the band will forever be remembered for. This song sort of got to played out there for a bit, but it is still one of my all time favorites. I also love the Jack Johnson cover of this. 

8. Let's Go Get Stoned - Smooth reggae with plenty of good beats to keep the groove going. Damn lick my balls!!!!!!!

9. New Thrash Listen - Just when the party startrs to settle down, BAM a little kick of thrash to get everyone slamming around the keg.

10. Scarlet Begonias - A grateful dead cover? on a sublime album!!! Jam music turned into a semi reggae song is just sick and once again the smoke is filling the room.

11. Live At E's - White boys mixing reggae with mini raps/beats, the song works just fine but is in my bottom 2.

12. D.J.s - A decent song, but this is my least favorite song on the album.

13. Chica Me Tipo - Okay after 2 semi snoozers, bam we are back with a spanish/english track that is jamming. The fact that they can switch gears and go from mellow mexican vibe to semi thrash without a blur is just freaken sick.

14. Right Back - This song may not be the greatest, but I shall forever remember this as the song that played while getting freaky on my buddy's parents bed during the party. 

15. What Happened - Classical lyrical song that has you half rolling/half bouncing as you know exactly what they are singing about because you to have had those foggy wtf happend last night moments.

16. New Song - Okay I lied there was one more that I was not big on, this song could have easily been left on the cutting room floor. 

17. Ebin - Bouncing off the ####### walls is the only way to sum up this song.

18. Date Rape - Other than Badfish the only other commercial hit off of this CD. Awesome to hear drunken guys yell this song out at chicks (especially she lied that little slut) at party's to try and look cool. At then end of the night they wonder why the chicks think they are morons. 

19. Hope - My favorite song that I have on every playlist on my ipod. Perfect song to amp up to go out and surf, yet lyrically good enough to listen with everything else. 

20. KRS-one - once again back to the mellow vibe to close out the CD, and by this time your brain is ready to mellow back out. 

21. Rivers Babylon - Crowd jam to close out the CD, showing off the bands ability to play real music and not just play really loud.

22. Thanx - Okay only one person ever played this and that was because her brother managed the band and she wanted to hear thier names thanked, otherwise this song was better off never made.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which version of Hope do you like better. Sublime had a knack of making everything better. 
I loved sublime. I got caught up in the band being popular means I can’t like them anymore stage. What an idiot I was back then. Robbin the Hood was great and then their last album blew up to the point where even my wife owned it and she was no punk rocker. 
One of my favorite documentaries is the Sublime one. To this day, every time I pass a Denny’s I think of Moon over my hammies. 

Maybe not the best big party choice but another great cover to cover album from that era is “The Bends” by Radiohead. Sitting on the deck with 6-7 people music. 

Probably my favorite band of all time and yes this album is great from start to finish.

I actually saw Sublime's second-to-last show; of all things a fraternity party at UC Santa Barbara.   They headed up to San Francisco the day after and Brad Nowell OD'ed after their show up there.

Pretty good album. Not sure about the superlative given it in the OP. I think its best function -- as far as I go -- was that it was palatable enough to people with musical tastes nothing like mine. It served that utility well. All the bros in the frats and jam heads back home seemed to like it enough, and I did, too. The reggae/ska vibe was enough to appease everybody, and the punk covers broke up the redundancy of the bro'd out reggae/ska.

I really liked the cover of Scarlet Begonias, but it's hard to mess up a song that good.

CGRdrJoe said:
10. Scarlet Begonias - A grateful dead cover? on a sublime album!!! Jam music turned into a semi reggae song is just sick and once again the smoke is filling the room.
Ugh

As I was listening to some 80s music on the radio in the car the other day with my little one, a crazy realization occurred to me.

The 80s were forty years ago.  And as my daughter was listening to the music, I realized that was like me growing up in the early 80s and listening to music from the 40s. 

Even the 50s and 60s music I sometimes listened to as a kid seemed so old. 80s music now is getting to be so long ago.....

As I was listening to some 80s music on the radio in the car the other day with my little one, a crazy realization occurred to me.

The 80s were forty years ago.  And as my daughter was listening to the music, I realized that was like me growing up in the early 80s and listening to music from the 40s. 

Even the 50s and 60s music I sometimes listened to as a kid seemed so old. 80s music now is getting to be so long ago.....
I always think that way, too, in terms of raw time and distance, but then I think "is the music from today borrowing from and sounding like what was happening in the '80s?" and indeed it is, to a great degree. Are the predominant instruments the same? Often that's a yes. It's much different than the pop music of '80s contrasted with the boogie-woogie bugle boys, you know?

It's weird, though, because everyone stopped listening to radio sometime around 2000, so there's no monoculture.  80s/90s is about the last time people have a common touchstone to some genres of music.

For me, 40 oz to Freedom always sounded like it was 75% complete when they just gave up and released it.  Unpolished is one thing, this felt unfinished.

I was/am a fan of sublime.... senior year in 87, we had a lot of licensed to ill on; misc ska (untouchables, fishbone, specials, english beat, etc)

Which version of Hope do you like better. Sublime had a knack of making everything better. 
I loved sublime. I got caught up in the band being popular means I can’t like them anymore stage. What an idiot I was back then. Robbin the Hood was great and then their last album blew up to the point where even my wife owned it and she was no punk rocker. 
One of my favorite documentaries is the Sublime one. To this day, every time I pass a Denny’s I think of Moon over my hammies. 
https://youtu.be/RO2_7UDxit8

sublimes version is my favorite song ever, I went to high school with them (sort of, their manager put them on at our school) and momentum 2 with Shane Powell is one of the best surf parts ever

Users who are viewing this thread