Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

The 100 Greatest Songs of 1981 #1 Super Freak

1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

That April Wine tune... :lol: ... definitely not my style. 

I like plenty of songs that are high on the cheese factor, but that one...pass. 

1 hour ago, zamboni said:

Neidermeyer or the fat hesher?

"And without that pledge pin!"

10 hours ago, FairWarning said:
12 hours ago, El Floppo said:

That April Wine tune... :lol: ... definitely not my style. 

Not much my style, but I bartend weddings and it’s a better song than 90% of what I hear.

A Myles Goodwyn-Bill Todman production.

Edited by zamboni
  • Laughing 2

15 hours ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Unchained >>>> Jump

The riff in Unchained is one of my favorites by Eddie and the song is one of my favorites by any artist.   Obviously, Tim has different taste in music than some of us.  He is also much more ambitious than most of us and takes on these lists and creates wonderful threads. 

• Like 3

• timschochet changed the title to The 100 Greatest Songs of 1981 #68 Too Much Time On My Hands
Just now, timschochet said:

68. Styx “Too Much Time On My Hands” (from Paradise Theater

https://youtu.be/5XcKBmdfpWs

Tommy Shaw strikes back with this very good rocker. De Young provides some outstanding keyboards as well. The video I linked is extremely goofy. 

We always said that this was the perfect theme song for the local Senior Center.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Tommy Shaw strikes back with this very good rocker. De Young provides some outstanding keyboards as well. The video I linked is extremely goofy. 

I was shocked to learn that as a jet fuel genius, Tommy was not an oil executive but just lit at the bar.

• Laughing 1

1 hour ago, timschochet said:

Lol at the Panozzo brothers in the video. Sailor outfits and tuxes seemed to be big among band members at the time.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, timschochet said:

You do realize that there’s 67 more songs on the list right? 

i guess, but i aint seen nothing like this list since a gal i dated in 8th grade - she had hair all over her bottom third, too

• Like 1
  • Laughing 4
  • Thinking 1

67. Journey “Stone In Love” (from Escape

https://youtu.be/kFqXFE8OSG4

Sorry @wikkidpissah there’s going to be a few more standard type rockers coming up here. What can I say? They were big in 1981, and these are good songs. 
This one in fact is quite likely my personal favorite Journey song of all time (or at least tied with “Wheel in the Sky”). Love Schon’s guitar work here. 

• Like 9
  • Love 2
  • Sad 1

• timschochet changed the title to The 100 Greatest Songs of 1981 #67 Stone In Love
17 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Sorry @wikkidpissah there’s going to be a few more standard type rockers coming up here. What can I say? They were big in 1981, and these are good songs. 
This one in fact is quite likely my personal favorite Journey song of all time (or at least tied with “Wheel in the Sky”). Love Schon’s guitar work here. 

There you go - best song on the album.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Would have had no problem with this song landing in the Top 10 here. If I’ve got the story right, Neal Schon improvised the closeout solo, and recorded it in one take.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, timschochet said:

i've broken up w people for better playlists...

my wheelhouse came w stories of communes, serial killers, Panther breakfast programs

y'all's wheelhouse comes w stories of commercials, cereal choices, Garfield cartoons

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

i've broken up w people for better playlists...

my wheelhouse came w stories of communes, serial killers, Panther breakfast programs

y'all's wheelhouse comes w stories of commercials, cereal choices, Garfield cartoons

Southern Boston, I knew it!

Edited by Mister CIA
  • Like 1

Stone in Love is a great one. Definitely one of the five best songs Journey ever did. 

Big Styx fan, and I like Too Much Time on My Hands a lot, but it's one of those songs that I rarely have the urge to hear anymore. Still a great tune, just one I got burned out on years ago. 

2 minutes ago, zamboni said:

Love that scene. Just watching them hold it in is hilarious. Never has been a better use of the word tallywhacker.

So many iconic scenes and lines from a movie that it is largely forgotten.

• Mike Hunt
  • I used my face to beat up his fist.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

I've got the .38 Special O/U on this list at 2.5

Also, I'll be curious to see the full list, but from the jump I'm pretty sure Since You're Gone would be in my top 10-15.

Dude - please don’t spotlight artists that haven’t been drafted yet.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, zamboni said:

Yep, that is poor form. Even when we know what songs are coming, the courteous thing to do is to let their thread runner list them instead of playing spoiler. 

• Like 1

9 years old at the time so psyched to see this and future lists.  I remember being more into country at this age.  Alabama, Oak RIdge Boys, John Denver.  ha.  No idea why.   

Gotta think there's gonna be a lot of Journey, Foreigner, Police, Hall/Oates, and REO on this list.  Interested if Tim will put an Air Supply song on his list.  🤔   Does he have the guts to do it 🤣🤣

4 minutes ago, Brunell4MVP said:

Interested if Tim will put an Air Supply song on his list.  🤔

If “Lost in Love” had been released in 1981 it would have definitely made this list. That’s a beautiful pop song. But their hits from 1981 are not at the same level IMO. Considered but did not make the cut. But it’s their quality, not the style of music, that prevented it. 

Posted (edited)

66. Santana “Winning” (from Zebop!)

https://youtu.be/0FmPg4lrBKc

Santana was a band that was always changing lead singers, and in 1979 they picked up one of their best ever in Scottish born Alex Ligertwood. He convinced them in 1981 to cover a little known Russ Ballard song (of Argent fame) and it turned into their biggest hit of the decade. Of course Carlos couldn’t help but use the opening guitar lick to give the tune a Latin flavor. I’ve always loved this song. 

Edited by timschochet
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

• timschochet changed the title to The 100 Greatest Songs of 1981 #66 Winning
26 minutes ago, Brunell4MVP said:

9 years old at the time so psyched to see this and future lists.  I remember being more into country at this age.  Alabama, Oak RIdge Boys, John Denver.  ha.  No idea why.   

Gotta think there's gonna be a lot of Journey, Foreigner, Police, Hall/Oates, and REO on this list.  Interested if Tim will put an Air Supply song on his list.  🤔   Does he have the guts to do it 🤣🤣

Jesus, man. Did you not read one post up?

17 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Santana was a band that was always changing lead singers, and in 1979 they picked up one of their best ever in Scottish born Alex Ligertwood. He convinced them in 1981 to cover a little known Russ Ballard song (of Argent fame) and it turned into their biggest hit of the decade. Of course Carlos couldn’t help but use the opening guitar lick to give the tune a Latin flavor. I’ve always loved this song. 

I agree here.

51 minutes ago, zamboni said:

I think you have to understand these threads attract some "newcomers" (myself included to some extent) to music threads that don't know all of the established rules or lingo.

8 minutes ago, northern exposure said:

I think you have to understand these threads attract some "newcomers" (myself included to some extent) to music threads that don't know all of the established rules or lingo.

Fair point - no established rules here, just common courtesy.

34 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Used to ride to the horse track with a guy who insisted on playing this song every time. I would have liked the song a lot more if we were actually about to win something.

1 minute ago, zamboni said:

Fair point - no established rules here, just common courtesy.

I understand your feelings on the subject. But, seeing somebody post an over/under on how many songs a certain artist will have on Tim's top 100 doesn't ruin the enjoyment of the thread for me. Most of us that were alive in 1981 can probably guess around 75% of Tim's selections. The mystery comes in how he ranks them and what he selects with the other 25 or so spots.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, northern exposure said:

I understand your feelings on the subject. But, seeing somebody post an over/under on how many songs a certain artist will have on Tim's top 100 doesn't ruin the enjoyment of the thread for me. Most of us that were alive in 1981 can probably guess around 75% of Tim's selections. The mystery comes in how he ranks them and what he selects with the other 25 or so spots.

We’ll have to agree to disagree on that. Point is a lot of us invest a lot of time in these threads and like the element of surprise, even if some may not be that much of a surprise. 
Assuming I can pull it together, my next 100 won’t be as obvious.

1 hour ago, timschochet said:

Teeth made for radio.

I had no idea that tune was Santana. But at least I've heard it.

5 minutes ago, Encyclopedia Brown said:

I used to think this was a Steve Winwood tune, their vocals are so similar. 

Never thought of that, but I can hear a bit of resemblance.  

12 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Teeth made for radio.

I had no idea that tune was Santana. But at least I've heard it.

Looks like AC Slater as one of the backup singers (0:45 mark)

• Laughing 2

42 minutes ago, zamboni said:

Never thought of that, but I can hear a bit of resemblance.  

Fun fact: Ligertwood was the first replacement for Rod Stewart as lead singer of The Jeff Beck Group. But the label didn't like his vocals on the original versions of the Rough and Ready songs and asked Beck to replace him (which he did, with Bobby Tench.)

• Thanks 1

• timschochet changed the title to The 100 Greatest Songs of 1981 #1 Super Freak