What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest Songs of 1981 #1 Super Freak (1 Viewer)

54. Daryl Hall & John Oates “Private Eyes” (from Private Eyes

https://youtu.be/JsntlJZ9h1U

A solid pop song from one of the best composers of solid pop songs from the era. This album had one other huge hit that came close but lost out on my final cut of this list.

From roughly 1975 to about 1981, these guys produced some really fine radio hits IMO. Then, I don’t know, even though they would continue to release some really big selling songs for a few years afterward, somehow to me the quality dropped a little. “Private Eyes” may have been their last excellent tune.  
Philly’s own. I am supposed to see them in late September, but honestly I was going to see Squeeze and KT Tunstall and Mrs. O was going to see H&O. I’m not a real big fan. Maybe it was the heavy rotation of their stuff when I was a kid.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Philly’s own. I am supposed to see them in late September, but honestly I was going to see Squeeze and KT Tunstall and Mrs. O was going to see H&O. I’m not a real big fan. Maybe it was the heavy rotation of their stuff when I was a kid.  
I saw H&O/Squeeze/KT in late February last year, right before COVID hit. In hindsight, guessing half the audience walked away with it that night.

53. Oingo Boingo “Little Girls” (from Only a Lad

https://youtu.be/H2LQMElLoLs

Interviewed about this song in 2010, Danny Elfman said, “I just wanted to offend everybody.” No better means to do that than with a catchy little new wave tune that appears to celebrate pedophilia. “Uh oh I’m in trouble!” 

The video is ####### weird, in which Elfman is surrounded by dancing dwarves. It actually won an award as the creepiest video of all time.  

Interviewed about this song in 2010, Danny Elfman said, “I just wanted to offend everybody.” No better means to do that than with a catchy little new wave tune that appears to celebrate pedophilia. “Uh oh I’m in trouble!” 

The video is ####### weird, in which Elfman is surrounded by dancing dwarves. It actually won an award as the creepiest video of all time.  
Surprising, but solid pic  :thumbup:

This was on my list for the next 100 - surprised you would pick it. Solid.

That'll work too. 

Thank you

Just need to point out that Genesis's move from prog to more mainstream pop rock was not totally Phil Collins' doing.  Keyboardist Tony Banks pretty much ran the ship in the late 70's and 80's, and he is the one who steered them towards more mainstream music. I think there is a perception that Phil Collins turned them into his own personal hit machine, but it's not reality.  And even on their pop rock records in the 80's, they were still sprinkling in some proggy tunes in there. 

i was being fisheeshush

ETA: but Bobby was in a band w Greg from Cars when i knew him
Bobby stories would be welcome. Seemed like a good dude from what I've read. Lived really hard apparently.

He wasn't Carmine Appice or anything technically, but I really liked his playing style/sound and how it fit the tunes.

55. Genesis “No Reply At All” (from Abacab

https://youtu.be/9rCRKijoTwo

With this song and album, Genesis moved from progressive rock to mainstream pop rock. It was not a move many of their traditional fans liked. But Phil certainly understood how to write a hit, as he would prove over and over throughout the decade. 
The horns are by Earth Wind and Fire though they don’t show up on the video. Interestingly enough, the video has nobody playing drums either. 
It was much more gradual than that, and started as soon as Peter Gabriel left. 

Ok...I'm going to put a tune from 1981 up that Tim will never link- because it was a small SF band and because the song is not likely in the "best" 100 of any tunes category...but it might be.

I saw these guys open a couple times for other bands I wanted to see. Wasn't really my vibe back then, and kinda odd them getting paired with more new-wavey or post bands. Saw them get blues-brothers style get booed and crap thrown at them, plug-pulled off the stage once after they walked on stage and started reading a local newspaper review reaming them, over a never ending single chord and attack of drums. The most punk thing I ever saw back then.

Iirc, this was their only song that got airplay on the college stations. One two three four...

1. Pop-o-Pies - Truckin'

Bobby stories would be welcome. Seemed like a good dude from what I've read. Lived really hard apparently.

He wasn't Carmine Appice or anything technically, but I really liked his playing style/sound and how it fit the tunes.
didnt really know Bobby - knew Greg Hawkes from my Berklee crew and they were in the same band. one of my favorite rock stories involved that band peripherally and i havent told it in a while, so i'll tell that.

spring '73. my HS sweetheart, who was out of my league all our lives but we fooled around now & then for over 40 yrs, was coming home from college in Michigan and i had a surprise for her. i had just made a connection (the one that would change my life) with the hottest band in town at the time - the James Montgomery Blues Band. they were on a bill with a hot new folkie band from Cali who were playing a year-ending outdoor concert at the Univ of New Hampshire and i'd been invited backstage.

as usual, my gal showed me up. on the flight home from Chicago she had met the band Montgomery (and Greg & Bobby's band, Orphan) was opening for and they'd invited her to the gig, no plus-ones of course. dang.

Saturday, i go up to the show on my own. turns out, backstage was two trailers - one fancy one for the Eagles, one tiny li'l thing like from a 40s movie about a camping honeymoon for Orphan & JMBB, a cedar storm fence and a world of class dividing the two. at least the beer was cold.

Orphan had a nice set, then the Montgomery boys went out and did what they were doin almost everywhere those days- blew the doors off the joint. The 14,000 NewHampshirites boogied til their heads caved in. The party was on at the trailer afterwards but, when James heard the Eagles leaving their digs for the stage, he made a point of going right up to the storm fence and bowing a tada wave to send em to the slaughter.

Well after a hour and a half of boogeying, the crowd was in no mood for Taking it Easy or any other of the Cali boys' Peaceful Easy Feelings. not yet famous enough to hold the crowd on rep alone, by the time their set was over the 14K was down to about 3K. no encore and Montgomery was ready for their return. All of our party, Greg, Bobby and your humble servant spread out along the perimeter, hung hog over the storm fence and wizzed out a tribute for the Cali warriors' humble return.

you never seen a trailer get trashed so fast. everything - including my Betsy - went flying. down, up, out, gone. my baby had chose the wrong party for the first time in her life and i was of a mood to let her feel the full effect. turns out she actually had to hitch home. she, of course, intended not to speak to me forever for that, but i rode those JMBB coattails to my own success and a small career in music mgmt that summer and i got to see her tail between her legs again. dont know if i've ever been happier...

zamboni said:
I prefer the Gabriel era myself - this was the last of the good Genesis material IMO.
I love the Gabriel era ...though my favorite album is "Trick of the Tail" - it sounds like a Gabriel album, but without Gabriel.  

Much less of a fan with each ensuing album that grew further and further away from their original sound.  

Bracie Smathers said:
They get cred for Abandoned Luncheonette so I forgive them for much of what they did afterwards.

Couldn't help notice Hall's vocal similarities with THIS tune by Wet Willie.  
this Hall & Oates aggression will not stand man.

timschochet said:
52. Split Enz “History Never Repeats” (from Wiata)

https://youtu.be/tzuJXqgsiSM

New Zealand’s Finn brothers produced a series of great new wave hits during this time period, of which this is one of the best. I’ve always loved that opening guitar riff- so distinctive. 
Nice selection  :thumbup:

50. Prince “Controversy” (from Controversy

https://youtu.be/4gazNwzC4H0

Prince was about a year away from superstardom, but he was already a major recording figure, especially in funk and dance genres. This song addressed his growing bad reputation in a tongue and cheek manner. 
I was wondering if we'd see Prince here in this countdown. This I can get on board with. I'll bet even wikkid won't quit over this.

49. Rush “Red Barchetta” (from Moving Pictures

https://youtu.be/PjjNvjURS-s

The link is to a live version from back in the day (it says 1980 but the song is from 1981). 
As I’ve written in the past I’ve never been much of a progressive rock fan (or Rush fan) beyond the most accessible hits which I usually like. I was aware of “Red Barchetta” because it’s so highly regarded by Rush fans, but I’ve never bothered to listen to it beyond the first try- it wasn’t “accessible” enough for me. Then when I started researching this list I decided I owed the song a more serious listening- I’m glad I did. 
Putting aside the convoluted storyline (something about secretly taking out a classic roadster in a future dystopian era where roadsters are banned- not sure why they’re banned- and almost getting caught before escaping) what fascinates me are all the chord changes. Watch these guys on the video- they are making so many changes with their instruments it makes your head spin. I mean this is complicated music. And yet I have to say that it seems to work together. This is really an extraordinary effort. I can’t say whose better be between the three musicians, though I enjoy watching Lifeson the most. 

Song is from 1980, the release date of the album was 2/12/81.  I can't find that particular concert from Montreal, it could from '81.  They were playing Tom Sawyer and Limelight in September of '80 though.  One thing I found interesting is Red Barchetta and YYZ were played for the first time at my first concert.  Moving Pictures was released that week.  Here is the setlist - https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/rush/1981/wings-stadium-kalamazoo-mi-4bd1ebb6.html

2112 Part I: Overture

2112 Part II: The Temples of Syrinx

Freewill

Limelight

Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part I: Prelude

Beneath, Between & Behind

The Camera Eye (live debut)

YYZ (live debut)

Drum Solo

Broon's Bane

The Trees

Xanadu

The Spirit of Radio

Red Barchetta (live debut)

Closer to the Heart

Tom Sawyer

Vital Signs (live debut)

Natural Science

Working Man

Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part IV: Armageddon

By-Tor & The Snow Dog

In the End

In the Mood

2112 Part VII: Grand Finale

Encore:

La Villa Strangiato

Red Barchetta has always been and remains a top 5 Rush tune in my book. Killer song, and it somehow manages to have hooks all over the place despite there being no real chorus.  The band was at their creative peak in the early 80's, Moving Pictures being their apex, and Red Barchetta symbolizes that.  

Song is from 1980, the release date of the album was 2/12/81.  I can't find that particular concert from Montreal, it could from '81.  They were playing Tom Sawyer and Limelight in September of '80 though.  One thing I found interesting is Red Barchetta and YYZ were played for the first time at my first concert.  Moving Pictures was released that week.  Here is the setlist - https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/rush/1981/wings-stadium-kalamazoo-mi-4bd1ebb6.html

2112 Part I: Overture

2112 Part II: The Temples of Syrinx

Freewill

Limelight

Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part I: Prelude

Beneath, Between & Behind

The Camera Eye (live debut)

YYZ (live debut)

Drum Solo

Broon's Bane

The Trees

Xanadu

The Spirit of Radio

Red Barchetta (live debut)

Closer to the Heart

Tom Sawyer

Vital Signs (live debut)

Natural Science

Working Man

Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part IV: Armageddon

By-Tor & The Snow Dog

In the End

In the Mood

2112 Part VII: Grand Finale

Encore:

La Villa Strangiato
Thats fascinating. So they played every song from Moving Pictures live before releasing it? Interesting, thanks for posting it. 

49. Rush “Red Barchetta” (from Moving Pictures

https://youtu.be/PjjNvjURS-s

The link is to a live version from back in the day (it says 1980 but the song is from 1981). 
As I’ve written in the past I’ve never been much of a progressive rock fan (or Rush fan) beyond the most accessible hits which I usually like. I was aware of “Red Barchetta” because it’s so highly regarded by Rush fans, but I’ve never bothered to listen to it beyond the first try- it wasn’t “accessible” enough for me. Then when I started researching this list I decided I owed the song a more serious listening- I’m glad I did. 
Putting aside the convoluted storyline (something about secretly taking out a classic roadster in a future dystopian era where roadsters are banned- not sure why they’re banned- and almost getting caught before escaping) what fascinates me are all the chord changes. Watch these guys on the video- they are making so many changes with their instruments it makes your head spin. I mean this is complicated music. And yet I have to say that it seems to work together. This is really an extraordinary effort. I can’t say whose better be between the three musicians, though I enjoy watching Lifeson the most. 
They're banned because of the Motor Law (duh), and I'd consider this to be a very accessible Rush song. Nice story/song structure, not a ton of movements or bizarreness. As mentioned by others, this is Rush at their finest.

Interesting comment about which of the three is the best musician. I'd vote Geddy but there is no clear answer which is a testament to the band, of course, and Alex Lifeson is criminally underrated as a guitarist.

Thats fascinating. So they played every song from Moving Pictures live before releasing it? Interesting, thanks for posting it. 
Tom Sawyer and Limelight, they did for three+ months yes.  Without seeing the date of the Montreal show you posted, I suspect RB and maybe YYZ also.  The concert I posted was the first official date of Moving Pica tour, the album was released that week.  

48. Men At Work “Who Can It Be Now?” (from Business As Usual)

https://youtu.be/SECVGN4Bsgg

I can still remember watching this video on MTV for the first time; it was my introduction to this band. I liked it instantly and I remember being impressed by the saxophone. Still one of the best sax solos I’ve ever heard. 
It's o.k., but I'm thinking you might want to hear a few more sax solos from here on out if you're in earnest about this statement.

yeah, the solo in "I Know What Boys Like" is soooo much better...
I'm mean, just off  the top of my head I can think of one non-jazz song that should be making this list that has a much better sax solo in it - and it's not by a new wave band. And to be clear the one I'm talking about isn't (IMO) one of the best sax solos I've ever heard.

Users who are viewing this thread