What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest Songs of 1981 #1 Super Freak (1 Viewer)

Such great variety on this list. Loving the Triumph pick (among others), haven't listened to them in a while but Magic Power is a gem. This is awesome. 

Such great variety on this list. Loving the Triumph pick (among others), haven't listened to them in a while but Magic Power is a gem. This is awesome. 
That's the 80's for ya.  It gets a bad rap from some, who act like hair metal or synth pop was all we got from the 80's, but the wide variety of styles we got in the 80's was something else. We will never see anything like it again. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say the opposite.   Probably 50 spots too high.  
You've said that you listened to a ton of 80s music and that Tim would 'probably' not care for what you like and obviously you don't like my taste in music.

You should make a list of 80s music.  Take a year that you prefer.  It takes a bit of effort but its creative and some will share your taste and they will appreciate the effort.  Lots of room for different views.

I thought the Stray Cats were the coolest thing ever when I was nine years old. 

Watching that Triumph performance and realizing this was the same year, it's clear that I was correct when I was a kid. 

One of the pointer sisters moved in around the corner from me when I was little. I recall hanging out with her son a few times for playdates at each other's houses...but don't remember ever meeting her. Nice house, nice kid. They must have moved on really quickly as I never saw the kid again. 

Just remembering also hanging out with Ronnie Montroses kid jesse not long after- he was a classmate of mine in elementary school for a year. Also a good dude as a youngster.

I would say the opposite.   Probably 50 spots too high.  
You've said that you listened to a ton of 80s music and that Tim would 'probably' not care for what you like and obviously you don't like my taste in music.

You should make a list of 80s music.  Take a year that you prefer.  It takes a bit of effort but its creative and some will share your taste and they will appreciate the effort.  Lots of room for different views.
He's come in a couple times being generally critical. I asked the same kind of question you did earlier in this thread- to post what music he does like from the year. For whatever reason he seems unwilling to share this info. Easier to be a critic than put forth a stance, but certainly doesn't help the thread or discussion.

One of the pointer sisters moved in around the corner from me when I was little. I recall hanging out with her son a few times for playdates at each other's houses...but don't remember ever meeting her. Nice house, nice kid. They must have moved on really quickly as I never saw the kid again. 

Just remembering also hanging out with Ronnie Montroses kid jesse not long after- he was a classmate of mine in elementary school for a year. Also a good dude as a youngster.
I totally believe this because there is no way you can make up knowing both a Pointer kid and a Montrose kid.

23. The Stray Cats “Rock This Town” (from The Stray Cats)

https://youtu.be/0RxBHRZpIdg

This retro band with its unabashed love of 50s rockabilly made a big splash in 1981, perhaps because their music had no pretentiousness whatsoever. They were out to play old fashioned, Eddie Cochran style rock and roll and they did it very well. 40 years later the sound is still very fresh. 
He’s a very good live act.  One of the more unique people in the music business.  

22. X “White Girl” (from Wild Gift

https://youtu.be/aLXOLlvoEBY

Speaking of great rockabilly- here we have what is perhaps the best guitar riff of 1981. Billy Zoom is sublime on this song, arguably the best ever song by southern California’s best ever punk rock band. 
I think that Exene sings off key, however, this song wisely relegates her to backing vocals and is great!

He's come in a couple times being generally critical. I asked the same kind of question you did earlier in this thread- to post what music he does like from the year. For whatever reason he seems unwilling to share this info. Easier to be a critic than put forth a stance, but certainly doesn't help the thread or discussion.
Wow, you guys have thin skin.   I never said that the Pretnders are not good.  I simply stated that the listed song would have been lower on my list.  If you are going to be fair and not just criticize, you should note that I thank everyone that does these lists.  

In any case, I will see myself out since my taste is not the same as yours.   

Wow, you guys have thin skin.   I never said that the Pretnders are not good.  I simply stated that the listed song would have been lower on my list.  If you are going to be fair and not just criticize, you should note that I thank everyone that does these lists.  

Stay Doc! I enjoy your commentary. 

Lol...who has thin skin here? 

Post what you like instead of just posting that you don't like this or that. It will help the discussion.

timschochet said:
1 hour ago, DocHolliday said:

Expand  
Stay Doc! I enjoy your commentary. 

:goodposting:

Doc... I want to sincerely apologize.

You HAVE stated stuff you like in here, and I've obviously missed it. I'm sorry for wasting your time/energy having to respond to my oblivious comment, and sorry to Tim and the rest of you for gumming up the good works in here.

20. Rush “Limelight” (from Moving Pictures

https://youtu.be/ZiRuj2_czzw

Peart wrote some very thoughtful lyrics about his reluctance to be a rock star. But the reason I like this song, as with most Rush songs that I like, is Lifeson’s guitar. Can’t speak for others but it’s his riffs that attract me. 
It's been played a ton, but i still crank it up when its on.  I love the Lifeson guitarwork in this also.  I thought this was the perfect middle song from their prog past to the upcoming keyboard and new-wavish sound of future albums.  

El Floppo said:
:lol:

It's  a product off where and when I grew up. Went to HS with China Slick and Joan Baez's kid..and some others I'm forgetting.
Oh God, Martha Quinn and China were unwitting accomplices to helping hundreds of thousands of young boys get to know their penises.

The Ronnie Montrose mention just led me to a couple wild discoveries. First of all, RIP to the mighty "Rontrose" Ron Heathman from the Supersuckers who apparently died last year. Secondly, I've heard Van's Listen to the Lion at least 100 times in my life and never knew Ronnie Montrose was on it.

Limelight has probably Rush's most iconic riff, Lifeson's greatest solo, and Neil's best lyrics.  So yeah, a major classic from an all-time great record.  Great song that never gets old. 

20. Rush “Limelight” (from Moving Pictures

https://youtu.be/ZiRuj2_czzw

Peart wrote some very thoughtful lyrics about his reluctance to be a rock star. But the reason I like this song, as with most Rush songs that I like, is Lifeson’s guitar. Can’t speak for others but it’s his riffs that attract me. 
especially love @shuke peering over Geddy's bass early on in the video.  

El Floppo said:
Leroy Hoard said:
I totally believe this because there is no way you can make up knowing both a Pointer kid and a Montrose kid.
:lol:

It's  a product off where and when I grew up. Went to HS with China Slick and Joan Baez's kid..and some others I'm forgetting.
Yeah, I believe it because who would fain the association with a kid of a Pointer Sister?  

Grace and Joan?  Where was this, Laurel Canyon?

It's been played a ton, but i still crank it up when its on.  I love the Lifeson guitarwork in this also.  I thought this was the perfect middle song from their prog past to the upcoming keyboard and new-wavish sound of future albums.  
Steven Wilson said it well recently when he mentioned Moving Pictures as one of those great "caught between two worlds" albums.  It still had tinges of their prog elements of their later 70's works, and the new wave-ish sounds of the synth era that would kick in after this album were becoming more prevalent. 

DocHolliday said:
.   I never said that the Pretnders are not good.  I simply stated that the listed song would have been lower on my list.
Agree with this , really not a fan of Pretenders 2 album in general 

Users who are viewing this thread