Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

The 100 Greatest Songs of 1981 #1 Super Freak

On 3/17/2021 at 12:26 PM, timschochet said:

4. Squeeze “Tempted” (from East Side Story

https://youtu.be/WXKfFeb2ua0

Here’s another song that was featured a LOT during the early days of MTV, but it’s had lasting power because it’s a blue-eyed soul masterpiece, one of the most perfect pop songs ever written. At the behest of producer Elvis Costello, the vocals were given to Paul Carrick, which really works here. An absolute classic. 

Paul Carrack

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

I didn't follow this thread because Tim... but #1 wasn't Tainted Love/Where Did Our Love Go?

It's only for gay men and women.

Or was that duran duran. I've forgotten.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

9 hours ago, identikit said:
On 3/17/2021 at 3:26 PM, timschochet said:

4. Squeeze “Tempted” (from East Side Story

https://youtu.be/WXKfFeb2ua0

Here’s another song that was featured a LOT during the early days of MTV, but it’s had lasting power because it’s a blue-eyed soul masterpiece, one of the most perfect pop songs ever written. At the behest of producer Elvis Costello, the vocals were given to Paul Carrick, which really works here. An absolute classic. 

Expand  

Paul Carrack

I wouldn’t shed a tear over the spelling.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 2

Just now, Andy Dufresne said:
8 hours ago, Northern Voice said:

"Best Songs of 1982"

... well certainly not 'Billie Jean'

Considering it was released January of '83, you're correct.

Even if it were in 1982, I’d have no problem with it as the #1 song of the year. IMO it’s one of the best pop songs ever written, no matter how one feels about MJ. Quincy Jones, you sweet bastard.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, zamboni said:

Even if it were in 1982, I’d have no problem with it as the #1 song of the year. IMO it’s one of the best pop songs ever written, no matter how one feels about MJ. Quincy Jones, you sweet bastard.

I would probably have to have begrudgingly put it there, yes.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Maybe I should forward someone a sneak peek in case I missed an obvious entry. :oldunsure:

I'll probably throw a playlist together...and insult Doc without cause.

2 minutes ago, El Floppo said:
28 minutes ago, Pip's Invitation said:

Also, it's New Wave. 

Exactly. Just like "feed the world"

Oh...don't be coy, pip. From tim's best new wave songs thread.

• Laughing 1

15 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

I think I have 1982 ready to go on Monday. My method was a little different, as you'll see.

Good.  I don't know what I want to do with my next list for 81 but I should have it figured out after you do 82.  Might combine leftover songs since I don't really like enough of what was leftover from 81.

Looking forward to your list.

43 minutes ago, Leroy Hoard said:

Honoring wikkid's 100th birthday, I'm preparing a best of 1921 list. No spotlighting please.

I expect Franz Ferdinand to be well represented on the list.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:
2 hours ago, zamboni said:

I expect Franz Ferdinand to be well represented on the list.

I think history cheated us by never having a band named Gavrilo Princip open for Franz Ferdinand.

With their songs “Pass the Duchess” and “Sir Archduke”.

Edited by zamboni
  • Like 1

On 3/9/2021 at 9:35 AM, timschochet said:

35. The Human League “Don’t You Want Me” (from Dare

https://youtu.be/uPudE8nDog0

With this catchy synth/pop classic, the second British Invasion began to really take off. It was a key moment for New Wave music. 

I heard that this was the first video shot in 35mm.  A couple of the original members of The Human League were film school students and they just went for it.  

I always liked the tune but taking a second look the video was so different from other MTV vids of the day.  Its pretty good.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:
On 3/9/2021 at 9:35 AM, timschochet said:

35. The Human League “Don’t You Want Me” (from Dare

https://youtu.be/uPudE8nDog0

With this catchy synth/pop classic, the second British Invasion began to really take off. It was a key moment for New Wave music. 

I heard that this was the first video shot in 35mm.  A couple of the original members of The Human League were film school students and they just went for it.  

I always liked the tune but taking a second look the video was so different from other MTV vids of the day.  Its pretty good.

Agreed - it’s more than just oakey dokey.

Edited by zamboni
  • Thinking 1

• 3 months later...
On 2/20/2021 at 10:37 PM, Doug B said:

During those Escape sessions, awesome solos were just dripping off of Neal Schon’s fingers. Steve Perry’s vocals cast a long shadow, but Schon matched him song for song ... “Who's Crying Now” being no exception.

Neal Schon to auction off 112 electric and acoustic guitars, including his Don’t Stop Believin' 1977 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The Man With No Name said:

He is supposedly still paying off multiple alimonies, and I am sure being off the road due to the pandemic hit him hard, so I suspect he is selling all of these off cause he needs the money.  Another rock star who made a ton of money and pissed it all away.