Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

The 100 Greatest Songs of 1981 #1 Super Freak


Recommended Posts

50 minutes ago, Mister CIA said:

Sadly Wikipedia indicates that Mr. Mister did not grace our presence until 1982.  My optimism just died.

ETA: Probably died in your arms.

If it happened tonight, you might be thinking of Cutting Crew.

ETA - I did see Mr. Mister in concert :bag: my girlfriend at the time was a huge fan.

Edited by northern exposure
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

86. The Kinks “Destroyer” (from Give the People What They Want)  https://youtu.be/_WJ6FbcWYRU The Kinks were actually a pretty good 80s band, as Ray Davies still had some songwriting chops l

67. Journey “Stone In Love” (from Escape)  https://youtu.be/kFqXFE8OSG4 Sorry @wikkidpissah there’s going to be a few more standard type rockers coming up here. What can I say? They were big i

44. Stevie Nicks and Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers “Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around” (from Bella Donna)  https://youtu.be/H5i7j0VhEHw The music to this song was written by Mike Campbell (l

15 hours ago, Leroy Hoard said:

Just to diffuse the current tension concerning the list, let me share a story from a few summers ago.  I'm sitting on my front porch at night and suddenly I hear the voice of Lou Gramm wafting from the nearby  downtown area.  Turns out he was the headliner for a July outdoor festival.  Actually sounded pretty good through the lemonade/vodka haze.

I saw him at one of those also.  I think he had his son on lead guitar.  It sounded good, but he looked like Joe Cocker.  Gramm did survive some serious health issues, probably the steroids changed his look some.   Urgent hasn't aged well, but Foreigner 4 was probably a top 10-15 album in 81.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, timschochet said:

Stevie Nicks and Don Henley “Leather and Lace”

You have to tell the back story about this song.  One of the smartest friends I knew in college was into country music and casually mentioned what the song was about once when we were out on a beer run.

Waylon Jennings wore leather and his wife wore lace on stage.  Stevie doesn't mention that in her story but adds more personal detail.

Once you know the backstory that song means so much more each time you hear it.

Nicks: "I wrote this song because Waylon Jennings called me up and asked me to write a song called 'Leather and Lace.' It was to be a duet for him and his wife (Jessi Colter), and I worked very hard trying to explain what it was like to be in love with someone in the same business, and how to approach dealing with each other. It's probably the hardest thing in the world to do because it falls out of your hands and into the hands of the world, which tends to want you to not be able to handle it. I have to tell you now that Mr. Don Henley was pretty much responsible for this song because he came over every day and told me to either start over, or that I was on the right track, and he made me finish it (because I almost gave up many times). When it was finally finished, Don and I made a very simple demo of it - he sang it with me, and it was truly wonderful. And then I found out that Waylon and Jessi were breaking up, and Waylon wanted to just sing it by himself. After all the work I had put into the philosophy of two people dealing with this problem, I told Waylon that only 4 people in this world could sing this song: he and his wife, or myself and Don Henley. Don and I had been going out for quite awhile, and, bless his heart, he did sing it with me, and again, as fate would have it, it became one of the most special love songs that I would ever write... and remains that, even today, after all these years. All in all, it was an unforgettable experience, as was he. Blame it on my wild heart."

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FairWarning said:

I saw him at one of those also.  I think he had his son on lead guitar.  It sounded good, but he looked like Joe Cocker.  Gramm did survive some serious health issues, probably the steroids changed his look some.   Urgent hasn't aged well, but Foreigner 4 was probably a top 10-15 album in 81.  

For some reason, Foreigner songs have always annoyed me.   

  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

For some reason, Foreigner songs have always annoyed me.   

I can't go that far, but while I have always enjoyed their hits and their many classic rock staples, they have never really been a band I went out of my way to hear.  I even bought their debut on CD way back when I first got into classic rock because I figured it was one I needed, but it became one I would never play.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, northern exposure said:

If it happened tonight, you might be thinking of Cutting Crew.

ETA - I did see Mr. Mister in concert :bag: my girlfriend at the time was a huge fan.

I really like both of those bands! 

In fact Mr Mister - Welcome To The Real World  and  Cutting Crew - Broadcast are 2 of my favorite 80s CDs. :)

Edited by Mr. Mojo
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mr. Mojo said:

I really like both of those bands! 

In fact Mr Mister - Welcome To The Real World  and  Cutting Crew - Broadcast are 2 of my favorite 80s CDs. :)

Hell yeah! I am a big fan of Broadcast! I Just Died.. is the only one anyone remembers now, but it had several other hits, and the album is loaded with good deep cuts. :cool: 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

I can't go that far, but while I have always enjoyed their hits and their many classic rock staples, they have never really been a band I went out of my way to hear.  I even bought their debut on CD way back when I first got into classic rock because I figured it was one I needed, but it became one I would never play.  

I also find Foreigner to be hit or miss, so to speak. Like a lot of classic rock bands of their time, they have some good songs but also a lot of substandard songs.

Probably my favorite song of theirs is Starrider off the debut you mention, with Gramm and Mick Jones sharing vocals.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

71. Billy Squire “My Kinda Lover” (from Don’t Say No

https://youtu.be/nI33SNkIsMw

1981 was the year that Billy Squire’s career took off, with one smash hit after another all from this album. He’s lived off its success ever since and why not? These are good rock songs, well-crafted, highly accessible. There’s no brilliance here, nothing innovative, but they’re solid. We will hear from Billy a few more times coming up. 

Edited by timschochet
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • timschochet changed the title to The 100 Greatest Songs of 1981 #71. My Kinda Lover
11 minutes ago, timschochet said:

70. Billy Squire “My Kinda Lover” (from Don’t Say No

https://youtu.be/nI33SNkIsMw

1981 was the year that Billy Squire’s career took off, with one smash hit after another all from this album. He’s lived off its success ever since and why not? 

If it weren’t for those meddling video producers a few years later, he would have gotten away with it, too.

Edited by zamboni
  • Laughing 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

I can't go that far, but while I have always enjoyed their hits and their many classic rock staples, they have never really been a band I went out of my way to hear.  

This is pretty much how I feel about them too. The debut and 4 are pretty good but not something I need to revisit. And I was out on them once I Want to Know What Love Is happened. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, timschochet said:

71. Billy Squire “My Kinda Lover” (from Don’t Say No

https://youtu.be/nI33SNkIsMw

1981 was the year that Billy Squire’s career took off, with one smash hit after another all from this album. He’s lived off its success ever since and why not? These are good rock songs, well-crafted, highly accessible. There’s no brilliance here, nothing innovative, but they’re solid. We will hear from Billy a few more times coming up. 

Bobby Chouinard's band! 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Pip's Invitation said:
18 minutes ago, timschochet said:

71. Billy Squire “My Kinda Lover” (from Don’t Say No

https://youtu.be/nI33SNkIsMw

1981 was the year that Billy Squire’s career took off, with one smash hit after another all from this album. He’s lived off its success ever since and why not? These are good rock songs, well-crafted, highly accessible. There’s no brilliance here, nothing innovative, but they’re solid. We will hear from Billy a few more times coming up. 

Expand  

Bobby Chouinard's band! 

Again the power of MTV. Whenever I think of Bobby, I think of his leg kicks at the end of the Rock Me Tonite video (4:20 mark).

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, wikkidpissah said:

ooo, what's the next fetid & festering, poprox hair drivel, Mr. Man?

 

1 hour ago, timschochet said:

71. Billy Squire “My Kinda Lover” (from Don’t Say No

https://youtu.be/nI33SNkIsMw

1981 was the year that Billy Squire’s career took off, with one smash hit after another all from this album. He’s lived off its success ever since and why not? These are good rock songs, well-crafted, highly accessible. There’s no brilliance here, nothing innovative, but they’re solid. We will hear from Billy a few more times coming up. 

oh, that....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zamboni said:

I also find Foreigner to be hit or miss, so to speak. Like a lot of classic rock bands of their time, they have some good songs but also a lot of substandard songs.

Probably my favorite song of theirs is Starrider off the debut you mention, with Gramm and Mick Jones sharing vocals.

Same here!  Starrider is the one of the few songs by them I will occasionally seek out on its own. 

1 hour ago, Pip's Invitation said:

This is pretty much how I feel about them too. The debut and 4 are pretty good but not something I need to revisit. And I was out on them once I Want to Know What Love Is happened. 

I Want to Know What Love Is is blah, but I will admit to liking both Waiting for a Girl Like You and I Don't Want to Live Without You. They are nice ballads. 

1 hour ago, zamboni said:

Again the power of MTV. Whenever I think of Bobby, I think of his leg kicks at the end of the Rock Me Tonite video (4:20 mark).

As bad as that video is, it's still a damn good song. 

Edited by Ghost Rider
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:
1 hour ago, zamboni said:

Again the power of MTV. Whenever I think of Bobby, I think of his leg kicks at the end of the Rock Me Tonite video (4:20 mark).

As bad as that video is, it's still a damn good song. 

Agree. The song itself got overlooked with that ####show of pastels and satin sheets.

Edited by zamboni
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, zamboni said:

Agree. The song itself got overlooked with that ####show of pastels and satin sheets.

It actually was his biggest hit ever, and did well at the time, but I think once his creativity dried up, it was easy for people to point to that video and say, "It ruined his career!"  No, not writing any more good songs ruined his career. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:
19 minutes ago, zamboni said:

Agree. The song itself got overlooked with that ####show of pastels and satin sheets.

It actually was his biggest hit ever, and did well at the time, but I think once his creativity dried up, it was easy for people to point to that video and say, "It ruined his career!"  No, not writing any more good songs ruined his career. 

I agree that the video impact is a bit overblown, but IMO that album (Signs of Life) was pretty weak compared to his earlier efforts and that had a lot to do with his career falling off. The video was the tip of the iceberg that changed the perception of him among fans. Pretty good backstory here that’s not just fan fluff: https://youtu.be/2V9pLyEL5Ko

Edited by zamboni
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

70. Van Halen “Unchained” (from Fair Warning

https://youtu.be/ojNrj-sWfpk

Speaking of straight ahead, take no prisoners rock and roll, here’s a song that some critics place among Van Halen’s very best. I wouldn’t go that far. It does have a great opening guitar lick but it’s not, at least IMO, in the same category as “Dance the Night Away”, “Jump”, or any of the material from their tremendous debut album. But it’s still very very good. 

  • Like 5
  • Love 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • timschochet changed the title to The 100 Greatest Songs of 1981 #70. Unchained
1 minute ago, timschochet said:

70. Van Halen “Unchained” (from Fair Warning)

Hey get a load of this
Well I say...that suit is you
Oooh hooh you'll get some leg tonight for sure
Tell us how you doooo...
'C'mon Dave give me a break'
Hey hey one break comin' up

Unchained

  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no way on God's green earth that there were 69 songs better than Unchained in 1981. 

Sidenote: there were four songs better than it on Fair Warning, but since Unchained was the only real hit from Fair Warning, I will doubt we will see the others unless Tim's moves the goal posts again on his deep cuts rule. ;) 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

 

oh, that....

 

6 minutes ago, timschochet said:

70. Van Halen “Unchained” (from Fair Warning

https://youtu.be/ojNrj-sWfpk

Speaking of straight ahead, take no prisoners rock and roll, here’s a song that some critics place among Van Halen’s very best. I wouldn’t go that far. It does have a great opening guitar lick but it’s not, at least IMO, in the same category as “Dance the Night Away”, “Jump”, or any of the material from their tremendous debut album. But it’s still very very good. 

oh, that...

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

There is no way on God's green earth that there were 69 songs better than Unchained in 1981. 

Sidenote: there were four songs better than it on Fair Warning, but since Unchained was the only real hit from Fair Warning, I will doubt we will see the others unless Tim's moves the goal posts again on his deep cuts rule. ;) 

You’re correct we won’t.  But out of curiosity I’d like to know what you think those songs are? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Hey get a load of this
Well I say...that suit is you
Oooh hooh you'll get some leg tonight for sure
Tell us how you doooo...
'C'mon Dave give me a break'
Hey hey one break comin' up

Unchained

The immortal Ted Templeman with that line.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

There is no way on God's green earth that there were 69 songs better than Unchained in 1981. 

Sidenote: there were four songs better than it on Fair Warning, but since Unchained was the only real hit from Fair Warning, I will doubt we will see the others unless Tim's moves the goal posts again on his deep cuts rule. ;) 

FW is my 2nd favorite VH album behind the first, so I pretty much agree with this post.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, zamboni said:

If it weren’t for those meddling video producers a few years later, he would have gotten away with it, too.

a reminder.

 

ETA:  oh crap ...already posted - sorry, got ahead of myself getting through the thread

apologies.

Edited by Binky The Doormat
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

There is no way on God's green earth that there were 69 songs better than Unchained in 1981. 

Sidenote: there were four songs better than it on Fair Warning, but since Unchained was the only real hit from Fair Warning, I will doubt we will see the others unless Tim's moves the goal posts again on his deep cuts rule. ;) 

Tim trying to gain some street cred?

  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, northern exposure said:
15 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

No shame in having seen Mr. Mister. Their hits were money. 

Leather and Lace is a nice little tune.  

What about The Hooters then?

He’s taking it day by day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

No shame in having seen Mr. Mister. Their hits were money. 

Name checked in a 2009 tune I seem to hear every time I go to the grocery store.

"Hey, Soul Sister
Ain't That Mr. Mister
On The Radio, Stereo?"

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, timschochet said:

70. Van Halen “Unchained” (from Fair Warning

https://youtu.be/ojNrj-sWfpk

Speaking of straight ahead, take no prisoners rock and roll, here’s a song that some critics place among Van Halen’s very best. I wouldn’t go that far. It does have a great opening guitar lick but it’s not, at least IMO, in the same category as “Dance the Night Away”, “Jump”, or any of the material from their tremendous debut album. But it’s still very very good. 

Unchained >>>> Jump

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Unchained >>>> Jump

How did I miss this.  Of course Jump isn't in the same class.  Jump could sell 15 mil more albums and not be in the same class.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Leroy Hoard said:

Name checked in a 2009 tune I seem to hear every time I go to the grocery store.

"Hey, Soul Sister
Ain't That Mr. Mister
On The Radio, Stereo?"

Argfarb. :X

My brother's stepdaughter got a tattoo. It says "take these broken wings and learn to fly away learn to love so free" :wall:

The kid that worked down at the local Baskin-Robbins
Got a tattoo of a lipstick print attached above his collar
I watch him relocating pistachio to a waffle
Thinking I had lost the plot if not the passion for the novel

He asked me what I wanted. I ordered something daft
He said he liked the tattoo Alex drew me of the bats. Thanks
I like it too but modestly confess in present company my coloring is not the main event

Look at that neck. The message is immediate the guy F's chicks
I spent a lot of years making friends with cool artists
So when they drew me tattoos I could truly feel important
It's a 22 year old inside a cube of brick and mortar
Got me questioning my morals in a corny pecking order
I should give a #### less
Cherry? No. Whip? Yes

Lotta Years
Uh, Lotta Years

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • timschochet changed the title to The 100 Greatest Songs of 1981 #69 Just Between You and Me
14 minutes ago, timschochet said:

69. April Wine “Just Between You and Me” (from The Nature of the Beast

https://youtu.be/t4S3CV9hu6E

This pretty rock ballad was April Wine’s other big hit in 1981. It’s passed the test of time and remains, so many years later,  a pleasure to listed to. 

 

 

Outstanding song that has held up over time.  

Edited by FairWarning
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • timschochet changed the title to The 100 Greatest Songs of 1981 #1 Super Freak

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...