What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest Songs of 1981 #1 Super Freak (3 Viewers)

That’s one of their more fun songs, because who doesn’t like hearing cannons at a rock show?
I am probably totally off here, but I remember hearing something way back then about a cannon being fired, but making no sound. That it had some sort of Satanic symbolism or something like that. You can see it here in the original video (5:18 mark).

Probably nothing, but I like to remember it that way.  :devil:

Last edited by a moderator:
And just like that, the list is back on track for me.  Just love the sound of the guitars in AC/DC.  Malcom and Angus found the sound and kept at it for decades.  Smart move.  Don’t You Want Me is really catchy.  What a gift to be able to write songs with a hook.  

34. Siouxie and the Banshees “Spellbound” (from Juju)

https://youtu.be/TjvvK-Rj0WI

Goth made its presence known in 1981 with this band, and also Bauhaus and The Cure (both of whom released pretty good albums that year but without any songs quite good enough for this list.) One of the most underrated guitarists of the 80s was John McGeogh of the Banshees; “Spellbound” features some of his best, most intricate work. 

34. Siouxie and the Banshees “Spellbound” (from Juju)

https://youtu.be/TjvvK-Rj0WI

Goth made its presence known in 1981 with this band, and also Bauhaus and The Cure (both of whom released pretty good albums that year but without any songs quite good enough for this list.) One of the most underrated guitarists of the 80s was John McGeogh of the Banshees; “Spellbound” features some of his best, most intricate work. 
Great tune. More than makes up for Leader Of The Band.

33. Blue Oyster Cult “Burnin’ For You” (from Fire of Unknown Origin

https://youtu.be/ipqqEFoJPL4

This was to be BOC’s only top 40 hit other than their classic “Don’t Fear the Reaper”. The lyrics were written by rock critic Richard Meltzer, not an official member of the band. 
I’ve always loved this song. It’s unremarkable, straightforward rock and roll, and yet there’s something about it that makes it still memorable and worth listening to 40 years later. 

Blue Oyster Cult is awesome.  So many great songs over the years. Burnin' for You is a good tune, but they have dozens that are better.  I get its placement here, that said. 

32. Joan Jett & The Blackhearts “I Love Rock ‘N Roll” (from I Love Rock ‘N Roll

https://youtu.be/d9jhDwxt22Y

After a stint in The Runaways (Ch-ch-ch-Cherry Bomb!!) and scoring a post punk radio hit on her debut solo effort with “Bad Reputation”, Joan Jett achieved stardom in late 1981 with this cover of an obscure song by an obscure 70s band (The Arrows). While it was a cleaner sound for Jett, it was still much more raw than anything appearing in the top 40 at that time. 

After a stint in The Runaways (Ch-ch-ch-Cherry Bomb!!) and scoring a post punk radio hit on her debut solo effort with “Bad Reputation”, Joan Jett achieved stardom in late 1981 with this cover of an obscure song by an obscure 70s band (The Arrows). While it was a cleaner sound for Jett, it was still much more raw than anything appearing in the top 40 at that time. 
I would have guessed this would be top 10. 

If I had to list songs that I have heard the most that I have never owned in any format (CD, album, mp3, etc.) or never intentionally turned on to listen to, I Love Rock & Roll might be number 1 on the list.  

Had this on a 45 and loved it as a kid, but this just doesn't seem to have aged well.  I wouldn't care if I never heard it again.

I graduated HS in 1983 so this is right in my wheelhouse. Props to @timschochetfor putting it together. I check it ever day to relive a little bit of my misspent youth.

That said, and no knock on the thread or it's purpose, but some of this music was so bad. We were coming out of the disco era, technology was working it's way into more music and the old icons that were birthed in the 60's were labeled old & out of touch by now. Temper all that with my love for Led Zeppelin & big hair bands that were starting to find their footing during this period and you can see were my bias lies. It was a rough couple of years for me when Men At Work dominated the airwaves  :lmao:

Abacab is a good tune, but not one I ever revisit.  I get the appeal for the more casual fan.  I like all eras of Genesis. 

I graduated HS in 1983 so this is right in my wheelhouse. Props to @timschochetfor putting it together. I check it ever day to relive a little bit of my misspent youth.

That said, and no knock on the thread or it's purpose, but some of this music was so bad. We were coming out of the disco era, technology was working it's way into more music and the old icons that were birthed in the 60's were labeled old & out of touch by now. Temper all that with my love for Led Zeppelin & big hair bands that were starting to find their footing during this period and you can see were my bias lies. It was a rough couple of years for me when Men At Work dominated the airwaves  :lmao:
Its definitely true that many of these songs don’t seem to have the staying power of other years I’ve done like 1969 or 1971 (I’m going to have to do 1970 pretty soon!). Those were legendary years for music; 1981 isn’t that. 
And yet if you lived through it, as you and I did (I also graduated in 83) there is a nostalgic element, even for the more cheesy stuff (Perhaps especially for the cheesy stuff!) I’m with @Ghost Rider when he wrote, for example, that “I Love Rock N Roll” is a song he would never own in any capacity. But I love discussing it here. 

I will also add that it seems to me that 1981 was around the time that a great divide began among us young, white connoisseurs of popular music: those who gravitated towards New Wave and alternative music, and those who stuck with classic rock and progressive rock. The two groups began to dress differently, talk differently, listen to different radio stations. Musically they had little in common. 

30. Pat Benatar “Promises In the Dark” (from Precious Time

https://youtu.be/7qUFZwJb9GA

Probably my favorite song by her; I go back and forth between this one and “We Belong”. But she sings this ballad with such incredible passion. It’s her raw emotion that gives her vocals such power. A timeless classic. 
my most-watched video ever, cuz i wanted see Benatar's butt & li'l puppies innat jumpsuit and my gf @ the time wanted to see Geraldo's arms, hair & baby blues. truly underrated guitar solo -

ETA: dang! now ima be watching that vid all day...................................

my most-watched video ever, cuz i wanted see Benatar's butt & li'l puppies innat jumpsuit and my gf @ the time wanted to see Geraldo's arms & hair. truly underrated guitar solo -
Yeah I should have mentioned that solo. He’s a great guitarist no question. 

Probably my favorite song by her; I go back and forth between this one and “We Belong”. But she sings this ballad with such incredible passion. It’s her raw emotion that gives her vocals such power. A timeless classic. 
Also should correct this. It’s not really a ballad. This is a hard rock jam song. 

Probably my favorite song by her; I go back and forth between this one and “We Belong”. But she sings this ballad with such incredible passion. It’s her raw emotion that gives her vocals such power. A timeless classic. 
All Fired Up and We Belong come before this one for me but they're all good

I will also add that it seems to me that 1981 was around the time that a great divide began among us young, white connoisseurs of popular music: those who gravitated towards New Wave and alternative music, and those who stuck with classic rock and progressive rock. The two groups began to dress differently, talk differently, listen to different radio stations. Musically they had little in common. 
Probably the biggest music change was AM pop radio was really dying out.  FM music radio was more format-driven.

my most-watched video ever, cuz i wanted see Benatar's butt & li'l puppies innat jumpsuit and my gf @ the time wanted to see Geraldo's arms, hair & baby blues. truly underrated guitar solo -

ETA: dang! now ima be watching that vid all day...................................
There were some pretty hot rockers back in that era - Benetar, Blondie, Joan Jett, the Wilson sisters for starters.  

Probably the biggest music change was AM pop radio was really dying out.  FM music radio was more format-driven.
There are still a few hold out AM stations playing everything that was big back then, but you are correct.  It used to be awesome to hear a Carpenters song followed up by something by Hendrix. 

Users who are viewing this thread