What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest Songs of 1981 #1 Super Freak (1 Viewer)

91. Billy Idol “Mony Mony” (from Don’t Stop

https://youtu.be/sYYAv-QW38Q

In 1981, Billy Idol left the punk rock band Generation X for a solo career, and this cover of the Tommy James classic became one of his first big hits. It would later prove to be one of the most popular dance songs of the decade, even though the song was banned from many high school dances (including mine) because students loved to chant “Get stoned, get ####ed!” after each line of the verse. 
At college parties, we chanted “laid” rather than “stoned”, although the latter was a whole lot more attainable for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
At college parties, wr chanted “laid” rather than “stoned”, although the latter was a whole lot more attainable for me.
I think it was “laid”. You’re right, my memory is failing me. I’ll correct. 
We were just talking about that song and chant somewhere...I think scorchys postpunk thread.

Somebody wondered about the chants origin...nobody had answers. Who can sleuth this thing out?

Tldr;

"So where does this leave us? Sadly, no closer to the truth than when we started. The origins of the “Mony Mony” meme remains a mystery."
I didn’t get that far - lol.

I’m blaming the same cretin that came up with the “bum-bum-bum/so good” chant in “Sweet Caroline”.

We were just talking about that song and chant somewhere...I think scorchys postpunk thread.

Somebody wondered about the chants origin...nobody had answers. Who can sleuth this thing out?
Totally scorchy's thread. We were trying to figure out how it happened. I reminisced that it even crossed small town lines at one point during my time in high school as our school adopted the neighboring school's seemingly novel tradition of chanting that little special couplet.

When we fall to the fascists, will we look at our youth nostalgically or will we simply wish it weren't so misspent? Asking for a friend who keeps tapping on my shoulder here.

90. Elvis Costello “New Lace Sleeves” (from Trust)

https://youtu.be/aCGlI--LM5E

I regard Trust as in a tie with This Year’s Model for Costello’s greatest album. I also would rank it as the best album of 1981, and my only regret is that there’s no room on this list but for a couple of songs. 
The first single off the album, “Clubland”, was actually first released in 1980 and thus not eligible for this list. “New Lace Sleeves” came out the following year and sadly received no attention outside of the UK. It’s an absolutely brilliant jazz-infused pop song with lyrics that are among the best Costello ever wrote- they put him on a level with Bob Dylan as perhaps rock’s best ever lyricist. Except for its (relative) obscurity this song would be higher on my list. 

Meh. I wanted to like it. One website describes the lyrics as "opaque," and that's generous. Critics, per Wiki, seem to be reading into stuff that isn't there.

Nothing on Dylan, frankly, and I'm not even sure Dylan should be as lionized as he is. (Though I'm admittedly guilty of Dylan love and am impressed.) I'm not sure any rock lyrics are really all that great. It's, as some would say, the beat that gets you. The beat, the beat.

Meh. I wanted to like it. One website describes the lyrics as "opaque," and that's generous. Critics, per Wiki, seem to be reading into stuff that isn't there.

Nothing on Dylan, frankly, and I'm not even sure Dylan should be as lionized as he is. (Though I'm admittedly guilty of Dylan love and am impressed.) I'm not sure any rock lyrics are really all that great. It's, as some would say, the beat that gets you. The beat, the beat.
A little too much spotlighting, Ranking rockaction.

https://youtu.be/aCGlI--LM5E

I regard Trust as in a tie with This Year’s Model for Costello’s greatest album. I also would rank it as the best album of 1981, and my only regret is that there’s no room on this list but for a couple of songs. 
The first single off the album, “Clubland”, was actually first released in 1980 and thus not eligible for this list. “New Lace Sleeves” came out the following year and sadly received no attention outside of the UK. It’s an absolutely brilliant jazz-infused pop song with lyrics that are among the best Costello ever wrote- they put him on a level with Bob Dylan as perhaps rock’s best ever lyricist. Except for its (relative) obscurity this song would be higher on my list. 
I think we've discussed this one- one of my favorite albums period. There are other tunes I prefer- looking forward to seeing what else youll include- but I still love this track too.

89. Adam & the Ants “Prince Charming” (from Prince Charming

https://youtu.be/9p__WmyAE3g

The pirate shtick was fun but the music is even better. Very good New Wave pop hits with lots of percussion. Might be ranked higher except for that annoying squeal at the beginning of this song. 
Good song, good video. Adam embraced the video era as well as anyone back then - I’m looking at you, not so goody-two-shoes  :excited:

By the way, stuff from

<====== this album

better ####### show up on this list, or I'll pay you a visit you won't enjoy Timmy!

Tryin' to forget your generation
see?! even that. soooo coattailing

joke of the 20th century, next to Perfectability of Man. latchkey kids turning Boomer deconstructions into their archetypes. SpoofCon - an entire culture made of the same laminated microfibres as are sold in the home decor aisle of Target.

joke of the 20th century, next to Perfectability of Man. latchkey kids turning Boomer deconstructions into their archetypes. SpoofCon - an entire culture made of the same laminated microfibres as are sold in the home decor aisle of Target.
I'm pretty sure I agree with this and also find it funny.   :lmao:

88. Men at Work “Be Good Johnny” (from Business as Usual

https://youtu.be/74dvJVwGA6Y

1981 was definitely the best year ever for this Australian band as they never had as many hits as on their debut album. Too bad as Colin Hay is a very talented songwriter. This tune was terrific satire and catchy as well. 
Good tune - another one that’s probably more memorable for the video than the song itself.

Actually, I'd say we mastered the reconstruction your generation's tendencies toward oblivion left us with.

https://youtu.be/DuDX6wNfjqc?t=232

Oh, God. If love is the answer, you're home.

88. Men at Work “Be Good Johnny” (from Business as Usual

https://youtu.be/74dvJVwGA6Y

1981 was definitely the best year ever for this Australian band as they never had as many hits as on their debut album. Too bad as Colin Hay is a very talented songwriter. This tune was terrific satire and catchy as well.
Skip ditty skip up the road
Off to school you go
Don't be a bad boy, Johnny
Don't you slip up, and play the fool
"Oh no, Ma," "Oh no, Pa"
I'll be your golden boy
I will obey every golden rule

Remember that because it was one the first records I ever chose to purchase as a kid.

87. Foreigner “Waiting For a Girl Like You” (from 4)

https://youtu.be/5jhocSCSZzk

Very nice power ballad. One thing I learned for the first time when reading up on this song: that very distinctive synthesizer is by Thomas Dolby, then unknown. 
Earlier I praised Steve Perry as being one of traditional rock’s greatest vocalists, but Lou Gramm is certainly up there as well. Just a fantastic voice. 

One of my favorite rock quotes ever is from David Lee Roth: 

“the reason most critics love Elvis Costello is because most of them look like Elvis Costello.”
Diamond Dave was just a gigalo

Most rock critics don't have THIS choice charm dangling on their arm.

Add, worked at a restaurant and at times we'd have to wait for the last table to leave and some people would just not leave so we came up with a plan to loop:

Humala bebuhla zeebuhla boobuhla
Humala bebuhla zeebuhla bop

over and over and over and play it at max volume to force out people if they stayed too long.  

Users who are viewing this thread