What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: QB Kyle Trask, Bucs starter in 2024 or 2034 maybe? (1 Viewer)

Trask is a 6'5" 240 lb passer, who was a 2 year starter and led NCAA with 43 TDs this season. As a traditional pocket passer, he's expected to likely be the 6th qb taken probably in round 2. He could sneak into round 1 as there are many qb-needy teams. 

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/kyle-trask-nfl-draft-player-profile-florida-quarterback/
I'd be ok with him as a Steeler in the 2nd. A lot of people are negative on his prospects to be better than Mason Rudolph, but I saw a better QB on tape. Not sure he'll last til the 2nd half of the 2nd though. It helped that he had Pitts, Toney, and Grimes, but I saw a QB that lead pass catchers into open areas. Not one that waited to see an open WR (ahem, Fields). He could be a 1-year wonder, but I think he has the chance to be very good if protected. He's not real mobile, but he could be a solid pocket passer. 

I saw a recent mock that had the Steelers taking Trask... in the 3rd round. I think it would be really shocking if he falls out of the 2nd, and I'd be just fine with the Steelers taking him there as long as they're confident in their offensive line. A draft that falls 1. OT, 2. Trask, 3. C would pretty much be a necessity (unless they . He's not immobile, but he's much better when less pressure is applied (like every QB). 

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. does not expect Florida QB Kyle Trask to be drafted in Round 1.

Taking part in a little mailbag action this week, Kiper writes of Trask, "He's not a stellar athlete, and he needs to improve when a play breaks down. His flaws really showed in the Cotton Bowl loss to Oklahoma." The analyst currently has a second-round grade on the 6-foot-5, 240-pound signal-caller. At this juncture, our first-round locks at the position look to be Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson, Justin Fields, Trey Lance and Mac Jones. 

SOURCE: ESPN Plus

Mar 3, 2021, 12:03 PM ET

I saw a recent mock that had the Steelers taking Trask... in the 3rd round. I think it would be really shocking if he falls out of the 2nd, and I'd be just fine with the Steelers taking him there as long as they're confident in their offensive line. A draft that falls 1. OT, 2. Trask, 3. C would pretty much be a necessity (unless they . He's not immobile, but he's much better when less pressure is applied (like every QB). 
I don't see anything Trask does better then Rudolph myself and I'm pretty low on Rudolph. Safe to say I'd be super flat if they Steelers took Trask. No thanks, not even a few rounds later.

NFL insider notes: Cardinals overpaying for J.J. Watt raises eyebrows, one Steelers draft target stands out

Excerpt:

One QB prospect stands out as Steelers target

With the Steelers finalizing their new financial arrangement with Ben Roethlisberger, attention will now turn to what they do, or don't do, at the quarterback position this spring. Mike Tomlin was the primary reason Dwayne Haskins was signed to a future's contract, while there are some in the front office who believe Mason Rudolph could still have a future in the organization beyond 2021.

And there is as sense among some other general managers that the Steelers could very well invest a fairly high draft pick on a passer. The name I hear the most in scouting circles is Florida's Kyle Trask. Seems like a fit to people I talk to and someone whose profile would appeal to general manager Kevin Colbert.

"I've known Kevin a long time and the more I see of this kid the more I see him in a Steelers uniform," one GM told me. "He looks the part."

Trask stands a sturdy 6-5, he wasn't a hotshot recruit and Florida was the only big-time program to really pursue him. He didn't see much of the field until an injury to the starting quarterback created an opportunity in 2019, and Trask seized it. He continued his ascent in 2020 including putting up over 400 yards and throwing three touchdowns in a wild loss to Alabama in the SEC Championship.

It's difficult to peg draft slots this early in the process, and some think Trask has an outside shot to get into the first round. Second round may be a safer bet and I'd anticipate the Steelers do plenty of homework on him.

I doubt that.
I'll let you know, but I can definitely see him going undrafted in 1 QB leagues that have 4 rounds or fewer.  This is a deep draft and more than 48 players I would take over Trask.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's a guy you have to at least take a chance on in the 4th round. 

Depending on where he goes, of course. If he's an obvious back up, then not I guess.

menobrown said:
I don't see anything Trask does better then Rudolph myself and I'm pretty low on Rudolph. Safe to say I'd be super flat if they Steelers took Trask. No thanks, not even a few rounds later.
Maybe, but Mason's contract ends this year. So I'd rather have that talent at 1/3 to 1/4 the price...

He's a perfect example to why I don't like superflex.  He will get drafted way before he should and before studs at RB and WR.

Football Morning in America's Peter King is beginning to believe that Florida QB Kyle Trask will be a first-round selection.

To be clear, this is King's opinion, rather than a sourced report. Still, the longtime NFL writer is plenty plugged in and it's worth keeping Trask in mind down the Round 1 stretch. Not that we would condone a first-round pick of the Florida signal-caller. While the 6-foot-5, 240-pounder did a fantastic job for the Gators in 2020, he more/less projects as a likely backup in the pro ranks, if that. Trask has routinely been swept off the board on Day 2 or early on Day 3 in mock draft action. If a team does pull the trigger on Trask earlier than consensus expects, it would be a dubious use of draft capital in our book.

SOURCE: Football Morning in America

Apr 12, 2021, 12:54 PM ET

FMIA: Whispers, Rumors And Gut Feelings As Most Unusual NFL Draft Ever (According To Gil Brandt) Nears

Excerpt:

Kyle Trask could go anywhere from the bottom of the first round to the fourth. He’s an incredible story. Never started a game in high school, playing behind current Miami QB D’Eriq King. Got scholarshipped out of a Florida football camp to play for the Gators—and told me he would have gone to McNeese State otherwise. Redshirted in ’16, broken foot in ’17, broken foot in ’18. Threw 68 TDs and 15 picks in his last two seasons, and nearly passed Florida to a stunning upset of Alabama in the SEC title game last December.

Big and a bit plodding, but Trask’s QB tutor, John Beck, told me after his workouts in California this winter: “He threw with pro accuracy the entire time. Very consistent thrower, and really can drive the ball.”

Trask told me that his college experience has taught him the “why” of decision-making. “I think that, plus my work on accuracy, consistency and timing has me ready for the next level.” I asked if he had any preference of how high he’s drafted, or by which team. “I am not concerned at all with the number I’m picked,” he said. “I’m just concerned with going to the right team for me. I’m not afraid of competition.” Good answer.

Pro Football Network draft analyst Tony Pauline believes that Florida QB Kyle Trask is unlikely to last past the end of the second round. 

One of the hotter questions asked in the days leading up to Thursday's draft has been who is QB6 in what is a deep class at that position. Trask (6'5/240) and Stanford's Davis Mills have both been mentioned, and in the case of the former, "it would be a surprise" if he were to be on the board after the second round. According to Pauline, the Falcons, Saints and Buccaneers are among the teams that like Trask. It's possible that the Saints and Buccaneers, who will pick late in the second round, could have to move up if Trask were their target. 

SOURCE: Pro Football Network 

Apr 28, 2021, 4:11 PM ET

Bucs selected Florida QB Kyle Trask with the No. 64 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft.

Trask (6’5/236) was a three-star recruit and two-year starter under coach Dan Mullen. He nearly doubled his redshirt junior production (25 TDs) in his final year (43 TDs on 9.7 YPA) while throwing to Kyle Pitts, Kadarius Toney, and other NFL prospects. Trask has prototypical size, but he’s an immobile in-pocket passer with sloppy footwork and will be 23 years old on draft night. He at least faced high-caliber defenses in the SEC and showcased adequate accuracy and touch in clean pockets (73% completion percentage per PFF). In college, Trask ran some QB draw and QB power in the red zone, but he’ll be a non-contributor as a scrambler at the next level as evidenced by his 5.07 forty and 50 rushing yards last season. Overall, Trask profiles as a Mason Rudolph-like backup who will likely take a lot of sacks and need his receivers to pick up yards after the catch. Trask gets to learn behind Tom Brady. Not a bad situation for him.

Apr 30, 2021, 9:35 PM ET

He went 3.01 in one of my superflex leagues today, ahead of Mills and Mond.
He went earlier in mine. 2.07, but we have 16 teams. 

I took Mills 2 picks later.

Pretty spot on for how I feel about it too. Hope Trask can prove us wrong in a few years.  Part of me thinks Byron Leftwich is the HC in waiting and they wanted to get him a young QB that has had time to learn. It doesn’t make any sense at all if the coaching staff is retooled post Brady. They’d want their own QB. 
When your backup QBs are Blaine gabbert and Ryan griffin, it can make sense to take a prospect. Even if there's a change in coaching staff coming.

He went earlier in mine. 2.07, but we have 16 teams. 

I took Mills 2 picks later.

When your backup QBs are Blaine gabbert and Ryan griffin, it can make sense to take a prospect. Even if there's a change in coaching staff coming.
Fair enough. I just think they’d want someone who could provide talented depth for their win now window. Technically, I guess Trask does that. However, I think we all know they aren’t repeating if Brady gets hurt regardless of who his back up is. 

Fair enough. I just think they’d want someone who could provide talented depth for their win now window. Technically, I guess Trask does that. However, I think we all know they aren’t repeating if Brady gets hurt regardless of who his back up is. 
I can't argue against this but in a deep QB class where a guy like Trask mostly went overlooked and 2 of his main targets went 1st Round, one of them a generational talent apparently going No 3 overall at TE. I wouldn't be so quick to shake off Trask as a bad selection. I don't disagree with you in the idea of the Bucs drafting for immediate returns this year and next and not long term.  The Bucs took depth for the DL/Edge in the 1st and they might have reached a smidge on Tryon, was not a surefire 1st round pick but I do like the selection and how he fits and will be ready to roll on the Edge/Pass rush, great teachers in front of him, I see a future starter with Tryon. 

I'm enjoying this Brady Bordeaux a lot and I've never seen the same 22 return...I have one thing for some folks to think about. 

-What if Brady is given extra strategic weeks off during the season to preserve him? They ARE going to a 17-week schedule, only 1 Bye week, it's a marathon. Imagine Week 10, the Bucs are 9-1/8-2 and Brady needs a breather, the rookie has had 10 weeks already to learn under his belt and they let him take the field vs the Jets as the Bucs are favored by double digits. We might see Trask earlier than some think. I believe Brady got what he wanted last year and was involved on the selection of Trask or had prior knowledge they might draft a QB. After the Bucs watched Aaron Rodgers try and shoot his way out of Green Bay, they should have had Brady in their War Room and it would have been really funny if he called Trask to welcome him on board 😂

In fact, Brady did this past week and started prepping Trask for life in the NFL. Good move on his part, because Brady is trying to win more championships and not tear his franchise apart in the process. I think Trask knows the team could be his in under 2 years if Brady ever decides to hang them up and for sure by 2024, it would seem like Trask could potentially be starting. Of course the Bucs could take another QB, a lot could happen between now and the time Brady retires. 

Their recent second round picks were instrumental in that Super Bowl win.  As a rookie, Antoine Winfield Jr. specifically.  In that area of the draft, Carlton Davis (63rd overall) specifically.  Is Kyle Trask (64th overall) going to help the immediate goal?  No.  That's why it's an odd pick to me.  Not necessarily bad, but odd.  It could turn out to be a fantastic pick if he is somehow the QBotF.  It could also turn out to be a bad pick where you look back at all those guys at the top of the 3rd round wondering what the Hell they were thinking taking Trask.

I liked what they did with Tryon and Hainsey.  Swing/depth guys that can help immediately.  I can see why they made the "luxury" selection of Trask. 

Users who are viewing this thread