What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NBA Top Shot Thread - kind of like sports card + crypto, seems money to be made.... (1 Viewer)

This was my reaction at first too.  But then you look at what these things are selling for.... HFS....
Trying to get my mind around it. So you don't own any exclusive rights to the clip (ie anyone can still go watch it on youtube or whatever), the only real value is that you're the only one that can own it in this little market you're engaging in with other people online. I guess that's same thing as baseball cards and some of those have crazy value, but I can't imagine anyone of sound mind blowing 100 grand on one of these things already.

Looks like there's money to be made though. And yes I've checked, the packs are sold out at the moment.

Here’s my take, it took me a couple days to get here:

- They’re basically like baseball cards. Except digital. They’re stored in a blokchain so they’re ultra secure. 

- instead of a picture it’s a “highlight” or “moment.”  So a little video clip of some highlight. 
- for common moments, they make 15,000 of them. It’s like common baseball cards. Not super rare. Each has an individual serial number. So 1 of 15,000 is worth a lot more than 14,000 of 15,000. And the serial number that matches the player’s jersey is worth insane bucks. 

- You can buy packs when they drop. It’s random and you have to be really fast to get one. The common packs are 9 bucks. You’re almost assured to get something worth more than that, and some a lot lot lot lot more. 
Packs are here: https://www.nbatopshot.com/packs

Some special edition packs are more than 9 bucks, but the cards are thus rare and worth more. 

- Right now there are no packs available. But lots and lots of people are waiting on the next one.  People are flooding into this in droves. 

- You can buy individual cards from others in the marketplace.  Here are the ones I bought today — some expensive, some cheap (my most expensive is a Lebron highlight I got for $999 — just seemed like good value because the ones at nearby serial numbers were selling for $1500 or $2000 or more). 
https://www.nbatopshot.com/user/@0tis/moments

- Here is the marketplace:

https://www.nbatopshot.com/search

- The NBA is all in on this supposedly. And people are going bananas rushing to this. There had been a huge boom in sports collector cards and the like recently, and this feels like sort of a cross between that and crypto. 

- It also feels like very early days in this. If it sticks, it could be a huge thing. And I’m just imagining this years moments showing pandemic era highlights with empty stands are going to be “special” one day, assuming this sticks around.  It is getting tons of press suddenly, apparently the website has been struggling to keep up with demand. 

- I bought a few big cards but a good strategy seems to be buying lower value rookie and young players who will have an impact later. Also buying moments that are in smaller lots/less common. But Christ, these get really expensive really fast....

- I am able to deposit and purchase using crypto direct from my Coinbase account. Love that. Also the fastest way to move money out supposedly (just further legitimizes both Coinbase and this in my mind...). 

Nobody else doing this here?  With all these NBA nerds I’m surprised. Truthfully I haven’t watched much NBA in 20 years and so I don’t know who half the players are, but this gives me an excuse to start watching again...

Trying to get my mind around it. So you don't own any exclusive rights to the clip (ie anyone can still go watch it on youtube or whatever), the only real value is that you're the only one that can own it in this little market you're engaging in with other people online. I guess that's same thing as baseball cards and some of those have crazy value, but I can't imagine anyone of sound mind blowing 100 grand on one of these things already.

Looks like there's money to be made though. And yes I've checked, the packs are sold out at the moment.
See my explanation above. It took me a while to wrap my head around it too. I was very much wtf at first. But yeah, it’s basically digital baseball cards, stored on a blockchain, more closely tracked and protected, and instantaneous transactions. That’s how I see it. 

Seems like the winning play is to try and get the packs when they come out. Agree this is like sports cards meets bitcoin. Both of which are very hot right now.

Similar to crypto?
I guess. I don’t really get that either. But the supposed allure of crypto is using it as a default currency, so it actually has purchasing power. Are these highlight clips, that are readily available anywhere, going to be used as currency at some point? 

I guess. I don’t really get that either. But the supposed allure of crypto is using it as a default currency, so it actually has purchasing power. Are these highlight clips, that are readily available anywhere, going to be used as currency at some point? 
Yeah. Already trading them for Oats currency 

Not sure I get it. What do you actually own if anyone can still go online and see the highlight whenever? 
Same as a baseball card. You don’t own Mark McGuire. You don’t even own that picture or Mark McGuire. Anyone can go online and look at that same picture. Got it!

Seems like the winning play is to try and get the packs when they come out. Agree this is like sports cards meets bitcoin. Both of which are very hot right now.
This for sure. A pack dropped today. Two BILs, two cousins and I all lined up. There were at least 40k people in line for 5k Packs. I drew around 9k in line and was closest, but still fell short. People had some nice pulls in these packs. Looking forward to better luck in the next drop. 

As a card collector I have been interested in getting involved with this (I was just talking to my wife about this yesterday), but the thing that scares me about this is the NBA or the Players Association just going, "Hey this is our copyrighted property," and that is that. They may be supporting this now, but what if they decide they want a piece of this pie?

A trading card I physically have possession of--this product exists in the cyber-world and could disappear tomorrow. .

As a card collector I have been interested in getting involved with this (I was just talking to my wife about this yesterday), but the thing that scares me about this is the NBA or the Players Association just going, "Hey this is our copyrighted property," and that is that. They may be supporting this now, but what if they decide they want a piece of this pie?

A trading card I physically have possession of--this product exists in the cyber-world and could disappear tomorrow. .
They couldn’t have done this without NBA already being fully on board. NBA would love for this to be a massive success. 

No and neither is pretty much any crypto people speculate in.

This for sure. A pack dropped today. Two BILs, two cousins and I all lined up. There were at least 40k people in line for 5k Packs. I drew around 9k in line and was closest, but still fell short. People had some nice pulls in these packs. Looking forward to better luck in the next drop. 
Do they email you when those happen?

Do they email you when those happen?
I’m signed up for emails and on for notifications on their Twitter account, but neither came through fast—my cousin texted us. No idea how he knew—La Familia or one of those things?  He’s big in the sneaker drops etc, snd these folks have ways of tracking new drops and the like which I don’t understand. You had to jump on within minutes, then you got randomly assigned a place in line. I was the closest and still a few thousand shy of a pack. Supposedly lots of bots and sneaky crap in folks getting them (as with sneakers, PS5, etc etc). 

Next time. 

Their Twitter account and channel on Discord (which is new to me) have tons of info. 

Wasn’t there something similar to this previously where you could buy “stock” of a player that wasn’t tied to anything more than what other people on the platform would pay for that “stock”? If I recall, it was all the rage for a couple of months and then all fell apart when people realized that there was no actual item of value they were “investing” in and it was essentially a Ponzi scheme?

the twitter touts got in on this early and have been taking gigantic victory laps - especially in the last week or so.  

really don't get it - and seems really huckstery.  

these TopShot guys are more obnoxious than the bitcoin guys if you can imagine that.

ETA:  just ran across this exchange 

JeffElJefe

@JeffKCollins

The people that muted or ignored TopShot on Twitter are massive fish, there’s no way around it.

7:24 PM · Feb 21, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

CJ Kaltenbach

@TheSeigeDFS

i took a nap and my collection increased 25% in value lol

JeffElJefe

@JeffKCollins

Must have been a short nap

Tim Turner

@quantimturner

Imagine muting making money.

Mon. AM ETA:

Davis Mattek

I cannot imagine the paralyzing FOMO i would have if literally all of my online friends were getting rich on TopShots and I didn't have an account

Last edited by a moderator:
the twitter touts got in on this early and have been taking gigantic victory laps - especially in the last week or so.  

really don't get it - and seems really huckstery.  

these TopShot guys are more obnoxious than the bitcoin guys if you can imagine that.

ETA:  just ran across this exchange 

JeffElJefe

@JeffKCollins

The people that muted or ignored TopShot on Twitter are massive fish, there’s no way around it.

7:24 PM · Feb 21, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

CJ Kaltenbach

@TheSeigeDFS

i took a nap and my collection increased 25% in value lol

JeffElJefe

@JeffKCollins

Must have been a short nap

Tim Turner

@quantimturner

Imagine muting making money.
That is hard to believe as I know some bitcoin people and most are beyond annoying.  

I would pay $1.50 for a Artis Gilmore ABA highlight, am I doing this right?

got in on this a couple weeks ago.  don't see it as a long term play but i'm holding for now.  playoffs are my guess for when the prices peak.

the nba is partnered with this.  so far Josh Hart and Josh Green have done pack openings on youtube and touted this on their social media platforms.  prices spiked afterwards both times.  imagine what happens when james hardens twitch streams a pack opening from the strip club.

I'm in heavily on this.  Prices doubled overnight.  I can't seem to throw money at it fast enough.  The Lebron Moment I bought for $999 a couple days ago -- which was the cheapest Lebron you could get at the time -- is already up over 3x.

Wasn’t there something similar to this previously where you could buy “stock” of a player that wasn’t tied to anything more than what other people on the platform would pay for that “stock”? If I recall, it was all the rage for a couple of months and then all fell apart when people realized that there was no actual item of value they were “investing” in and it was essentially a Ponzi scheme?
This will be similar. Based on the numbers in the article (how many of ea h highlight) there are likely more highlights than bitcoins and there will be new ones every year. I’d think the non-exclusiveness of these things will crash them over time. I mean, if you owned the rights like a song where you made money off them when the songs were played, I could get it. There is no wear and tear on these things so there’s no real grading.

The only people who will make out in the end are the people who started this and the NBA (who's get paid for the access). I assume players are getting paid too which is why they are sponsoring packs and such.

There is so much unbelievable froth in bad stocks (GameStop, SPACs), crypto, these things and others. Getting pretty nervous because it’s like cars inserts, sure there is some rarity for one particular insert, but is it really rare when there are 1 million different 1 out of 5 inserts?

There is no revenue stream or exclusivity in this, only a hope that your highlight keeps increasing in value. At least if you own a stock, you own a part of that company, or if you own Bitcoin, you know that there is a cap and there is some utility to it. This isn’t an inflation hedge and you can’t spend it or get income from it. Call me when the hot TikToks start selling snippets that you don’t technically own the video rights for and I’ll line up to get #1 of 20,000 that I can watch on TikTokHighlightExchange.com instead of watching it on TikTok.

This will be similar. Based on the numbers in the article (how many of ea h highlight) there are likely more highlights than bitcoins and there will be new ones every year. I’d think the non-exclusiveness of these things will crash them over time. I mean, if you owned the rights like a song where you made money off them when the songs were played, I could get it. There is no wear and tear on these things so there’s no real grading.

The only people who will make out in the end are the people who started this and the NBA (who's get paid for the access). I assume players are getting paid too which is why they are sponsoring packs and such.

There is so much unbelievable froth in bad stocks (GameStop, SPACs), crypto, these things and others. Getting pretty nervous because it’s like cars inserts, sure there is some rarity for one particular insert, but is it really rare when there are 1 million different 1 out of 5 inserts?

There is no revenue stream or exclusivity in this, only a hope that your highlight keeps increasing in value. At least if you own a stock, you own a part of that company, or if you own Bitcoin, you know that there is a cap and there is some utility to it. This isn’t an inflation hedge and you can’t spend it or get income from it. Call me when the hot TikToks start selling snippets that you don’t technically own the video rights for and I’ll line up to get #1 of 20,000 that I can watch on TikTokHighlightExchange.com instead of watching it on TikTok.
Pull up a chair and join me grumpy ol' man.

This seems dumb.  But I think I also had that same reaction a decade ago when someone started the "Let's Mine Bitcoin Together" thread in the FFA.  So I guess I'm in!

I don’t understand this at all. I can watch that clip anywhere. 
You can also print the picture from the Michael Jordan rookie card and put it on your desk but it's not worth thousands of dollars 🤷🏼‍♂️  

I'm with you, kinda. I see arguments both ways but if they flood the market with moments the prices will crater. If the creators are only making money from packs then they'll be forced to do just that. Or hike the price of the packs. 

You can also print the picture from the Michael Jordan rookie card and put it on your desk but it's not worth thousands of dollars 🤷🏼‍♂️  

I'm with you, kinda. I see arguments both ways but if they flood the market with moments the prices will crater. If the creators are only making money from packs then they'll be forced to do just that. Or hike the price of the packs. 
I mean anything is just worth what somebody would pay for it. Even our currency. But that’s literally just a video clip. The Jordan rookie is worthy because it is a rare item - very few made. I just googled that Lebron highlight and 15 links came up. Not the same thing at all. 

Users who are viewing this thread