Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

NBA Top Shot Thread - kind of like sports card + crypto, seems money to be made....

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don’t look at it like losing money Otis, look at it as owning a YouTube clip of Dwayne Bacon dunking a basketball that you just happened to pay 1500 bucks for. 

Pretty stoked with my pack.  Got Ben Simmons 3 Pointer. #1/4.

I'm gonna have to sort of go ahead and, uh, disagree with you there.

15 hours ago, nysfl2 said:

I sold my hustle moment for $29. I figure the market will do nothing but go down.

:shrug:

All the hustle moments are part of a new challenge.  When that challenge expires, those moments are going to crash.  Good sell if you're not going for the challenge reward.

Posted (edited)

Did I miss the Reserve Pack dropping today? I reserved the other day, but now it's showing sold out and where it says "Join drop" is grayed out. Or has the site been down and it hasn't started yet? :lol: also there's a release 34 reserve pack up. Maybe they had issues and moved it over, and just haven't notified yet?

ETA: they must be working on opening it up... now the main page has it showing, but click on the link and it says "

AIR BALL!

The page you’re looking for can’t be found. Let’s try this again, shall we?"

Edited by Nathan R. Jessep

I'm skipping directly to this last page so sorry if this has already been asked, but has anyone here actually sold anything for profit?

23 minutes ago, Chris B. said:

I'm skipping directly to this last page so sorry if this has already been asked, but has anyone here actually sold anything for profit?

Depends. Are you talking about real money, or pretend money that shows up in your account balance, but you can't actually take out of the system? 

Because the answer to those two questions are very, very different.

Michael Carter-Williams dunk # 4,691 / 35k 

James Harden assist # 15,586 / 35k

Chuma Okeke dunk # 29,511 / 35k

Wish my low serial was Harden or the rookie and not MCW ( :lmao: ) but overall it looks like I'll get my money back again.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Chris B. said:

There's quite a bit of variance but I've made money on every pack so far. Right now the crappiest base moments are going for $5, so with a $9 3-moment base pack your worst case scenario is turning a $6 profit (minus marketplace fees). This is probably going to change soon though as they continue to pump out more packs. My most lucrative moment was a 3-digit serial Trae Young moment that I found in a base pack and sold for $100. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, nysfl2 said:

Depends. Are you talking about real money, or pretend money that shows up in your account balance, but you can't actually take out of the system? 

Because the answer to those two questions are very, very different.

Real money.

But wait, you can fund your account with real money but can't withdraw? So nobody has ever transferred their funds back into their bank? Is this all with Ethereum or something?
How/why do you guys trust this? What if the servers all crash and it all goes *POOF*?

6 minutes ago, Chris B. said:

Real money.

But wait, you can fund your account with real money but can't withdraw? So nobody has ever transferred their funds back into their bank? Is this all with Ethereum or something?
How/why do you guys trust this? What if the servers all crash and it all goes *POOF*?

A small number of folks have been able to withdraw, but the site is in beta and it's not available to most people yet. I think the only reason people trust it is that the NBA is involved. Only funded my account with 15 bucks though, so if something happens I guess it's not the end of the world.

• Like 3
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Chris B. said:

Real money.

Would kind of rule if that happened. I would be out 18 dollars. 

Edited by Capella
  • Laughing 1

Looks like I might get mine tonight. Can’t wait for my Darren Morningstar throwback common where he dribbles off his foot. Friday nights, baby!

• Laughing 1
49 minutes ago, caustic said:

I think the only reason people trust it is that the NBA is involved. 

I see little reason for concern with NBA involved.

Topshot put up a testimonial from Tim Donaghy this week on their site

• Laughing 1
1 hour ago, Chris B. said:

Real money.

If the NBA wasn't involved, with all the withdrawal sketchiness, I would have already kissed my $9 goodbye. 

Anyone who invests real money into this thing is kinda crazy.

21 minutes ago, nysfl2 said:

If the NBA wasn't involved, with all the withdrawal sketchiness, I would have already kissed my $9 goodbye. 

Anyone who invests real money into this thing is kinda crazy.

Yep, I’ve bought one $9 and one $14 pack, flipped a few from those into like $50 and still have a few moments left over. That’s all I’ll put in, just keep cycling through this small amount for kicks. 

2 hours ago, Courtjester said:

I got some pretty pedestrian cards in this last opening, but I did get another Anthony Edwards dunk moment and both seem to be holding value.

Where do you look up the value of each of these? Is there a Top Shot Beckett type thing? 

5 minutes ago, Chris B. said:

Where do you look up the value of each of these? Is there a Top Shot Beckett type thing? 

Just look at what they're listed for on the marketplace.

18 minutes ago, McBokonon said:

Got a Lebron block, Mikal Bridges assist, and a Clint Capela block. Serials in the 20’s or low 30’s.

I got that same Lebron Block, 5k serial. Worth 50-80 bucks currently. Not bad for nine dollars. 

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, Chris B. said:

Evaluate.market will show you the lowest as of each moment you own.  Then it's up to you to look up individual serial number prices on marketplace 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Chris B. said:

Haven’t seen it mentioned, but of the 5 packs I’ve been able to obtain, I’ve kept 4 sealed. Will go on later tonight or late tomorrow night to snag the reserved pack (they are going to do these weekly now) but will not open. The plan is to hold them for a few years, but once they allow packs to be sold direct in the marketplace later this year  I’ll have to reassess. 

The pack I opened had 3 moments and I sold 2 of them for over $200 total. Those 2 are worth MUCH less today. I’ve prob spent $30 or so out of pocket. 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Bobcat10 said:

Haven’t seen it mentioned, but of the 5 packs I’ve been able to obtain, I’ve kept 4 sealed. Will go on later tonight or late tomorrow night to snag the reserved pack (they are going to do these weekly now) but will not open. The plan is to hold them for a few years, but once they allow packs to be sold direct in the marketplace later this year  I’ll have to reassess. 

The pack I opened had 3 moments and I sold 2 of them for over $200 total. Those 2 are worth MUCH less today. I’ve prob spent $30 or so out of pocket. 

At one point I was buying limited edition high end packs for $1k a pop. I bought such a pack and got a Drummond #1/499. Sold it for $6800. 

• Thinking 1
3 minutes ago, Otis said:

At one point I was buying limited edition high end packs for $1k a pop. I bought such a pack and got a Drummond #1/499. Sold it for $6800. 

Did that Dingaling dude who went on a serial #1 tear buy it?

I have no LE $99 or $199 packs. Just one $14.99 and the rest are $9.99. Is your point that if you were me you would open them looking for the gem? 

What I need to do at some point, if it’s possible, is figure out what the best sealed moments are from the drops I have. I know it’s sort of manually possible on Evaluate Market, but it will be painful. 

19 minutes ago, Otis said:

For Andre fn Drummond???

• Laughing 1
26 minutes ago, Bobcat10 said:

Did that Dingaling dude who went on a serial #1 tear buy it?

I have no LE $99 or $199 packs. Just one $14.99 and the rest are $9.99. Is your point that if you were me you would open them looking for the gem? 

Holy crap yes that’s the guy. Kind of wish I hadn’t dropped the price, I originally had it listed at like 20k. 

no, I don’t have a point. Maybe wise to save the packs. Maybe not. 

• Like 1

If there is any strategy here (I doubt there is) I would say go after Lamelo cards. He seems to be the hottest thing to enter the nba in a long while and if top shot is around a few years from now I could see his rookie cards or highlights or whatever they are being worth way more than they are now. I have one of his that seems to be going for a minimum of a few hundred bucks but I’m just going to sit on it. 

• Like 1

New drop announced for tomorrow. 75k packs @ $150, must meet collector score of 220. There will be rebound packs for the approx 75k of people who don’t get the $150.

I imagine many of us will not qualify even though that’s a low score. I would have qualified yesterday, but sold a moment and was sitting at 216 when they took the snapshot today. Sealed packs also did not add to your score for this drop, which is a massive failure on their part.

All that said, this seems to be the first -EV pack. At current market value, unless you pull a ridiculous serial, you’re getting around $70 worth of moments from what I’m seeing posted in the discord. If I was eligible, I’d consider entering the queue late just to secure the rebound pack.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Bobcat10 said:

New drop announced for tomorrow. 75k packs @ $150, must meet collector score of 220. There will be rebound packs for the approx 75k of people who don’t get the $150.

I imagine many of us will not qualify even though that’s a low score. I would have qualified yesterday, but sold a moment and was sitting at 216 when they took the snapshot today. Sealed packs also did not add to your score for this drop, which is a massive failure on their part.

All that said, this seems to be the first -EV pack. At current market value, unless you pull a ridiculous serial, you’re getting around $70 worth of moments from what I’m seeing posted in the discord. If I was eligible, I’d consider entering the queue late just to secure the rebound pack.

I doubt this. So far you can pretty easily make your money back and then some on special packs. And here where you have to have a certain score, it’ll be extra limited. These will be worth loot. I’m in. 

Posted (edited)

Juuust a bit outside:

Minimum Collector Score for eligibility: 220. You will need at least 220 to enter this drop!

We've taken a snapshot of your Collector Score on 05/09/2021 @ 9AM PDT. Here was your score: 36

Edited by caustic
Posted (edited)

Minimum Collector Score for eligibility: 220! You will need at least 220 to enter this drop!

We've taken a snapshot of your Collector Score on 05/09/2021 @ 9AM PDT here was your score: 0

:lmao: NOT A COLLECTOR!!!

I can't wait to take advantage of all your collector nerds  you've catered to years down the road topshot and make BOATLOADS!!!! UN-OPENED.....LIMITED EDITION.......GEM MINT 10s NERDS

*So long as your scam is still up and running at that time.

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL
  • Laughing 1

Since moments can someday be turned in for tokens, I decided to buy up a dozen moments for $3-$4.  I also completed the Hustle challenge for the Giannis moment.  Figured that completing a challenge might be a future pack requirement.  I will probably lose money on both of those decisions, but it is worth it for some future opportunities.  So my collector score is high enough to qualify for today's rare pack, and I'm going to go for it.  I'll let you guys know if it was worth it, or if I crashed and burned the $150.

• Like 1

I think before I invested a bunch of money, I’d really want to know how much cash on hand these guys have. Is the reason they aren’t paying out that they’ve taken all the money and used it to pay operating costs? Because that starts to become a pretty large risk that you’ll never be able to cash out and will lose everything.

24 minutes ago, GroveDiesel said:

I think before I invested a bunch of money, I’d really want to know how much cash on hand these guys have. Is the reason they aren’t paying out that they’ve taken all the money and used it to pay operating costs? Because that starts to become a pretty large risk that you’ll never be able to cash out and will lose everything.

My kids have been watching The Office reruns lately, reminds me of this..

Michael: So, Phil NBA recruited me to sell these cards, and now I am recruiting you.  Don’t worry about Phil NBA. He drives a corvette. He is doing just fine. Okay. Calling Top Shot cards are… the wave of the future. These things sell themselves.

Oscar: This sounds like a get rich quick scheme.
Michael: Yes! Thank you! You will get rich quick. We all will!

Michael: Alright, let me explain. Again. [draws on board] Phil NBA has recruited me and another guy. Now, we are getting three people each. The more people that get involved, the more who are investing, the more money we’re all going to make. It’s not a pyramid scheme, it is a… it’s not even a scheme per se, it’s… [Jim draws a triangle around Michael’s diagram] … I have to go make a call.

• Thanks 1
  • Laughing 2
15 hours ago, Otis said:

I doubt this. So far you can pretty easily make your money back and then some on special packs. And here where you have to have a certain score, it’ll be extra limited. These will be worth loot. I’m in. 

I'm sure this will have a challenge as well which will drive immediate returns.  So you're going to flip immediately?  Let us know how it goes. 

What I've been seeing is the commons will be $3-$5 and the good moments will be around $55.  I'm not sure if this is post market cooldown, post challenge, upon opening, etc.  The only people I've seen excited about this drop are the people who will buy anything and are super bullish going forward.  Even that Plunge dude on Twitter was ripping the drop apart yesterday and he's a TS shill.  

10 hours ago, Synthesizer said:

Since moments can someday be turned in for tokens, I decided to buy up a dozen moments for $3-$4.  I also completed the Hustle challenge for the Giannis moment.  Figured that completing a challenge might be a future pack requirement.  I will probably lose money on both of those decisions, but it is worth it for some future opportunities.  So my collector score is high enough to qualify for today's rare pack, and I'm going to go for it.  I'll let you guys know if it was worth it, or if I crashed and burned the $150.

I spent $150 and I have a crappy Xavier Tillman rare moment to show for it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I decided to roll the dice...

Kawhi Throwdown 1046/1800

LeBron block 29550/35000

Herro /35000

Cody Martin /12000

Jeremy Lamb /12000

Davis Bertrans /35000

• Like 1

Woof, just saw that a lot of the commons are  down to $4 (and with so many asks at that level, you really need to list at $3 to sell). We’re on the cusp of the base packs becoming -EV, and this week’s reservation pack drop might be what pushes the market into that territory. Keeping packs sealed definitely seems like the smart move now — any clue when we’ll be able to sell them in the marketplace?

Long term it feels like we’re headed towards the equilibrium seen in the sports card market, where the only moments worth much of anything will be those of top-tier rookies and the limited edition moments of top players. The days of selling a Cedi Osman common for $8 will seem hilarious. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, caustic said:

Woof, just saw that a lot of the commons are  down to $4 (and with so many asks at that level, you really need to list at $3 to sell). We’re on the cusp of the base packs becoming -EV, and this week’s reservation pack drop might be what pushes the market into that territory. Keeping packs sealed definitely seems like the smart move now — any clue when we’ll be able to sell them in the marketplace?

Long term it feels like we’re headed towards the equilibrium seen in the sports card market, where the only moments worth much of anything will be those of top-tier rookies and the limited edition moments of top players. The days of selling a Cedi Osman common for $8 will seem hilarious. 

Feels right. Every time I try to look into this and try to evaluate things it feels like the market is down. Something has crashed or been unavailable.

I think collectables on NFT can have some type of interesting future. Just preserving physical collectables is an annoying piece of the hobby. Blockchain has real application in this space.

They're just all either gifting or poorly run right now. Top Shot is the latter.  Either way, you need new buyers to keep that pyramid right-side up.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

41 out of the 45 rare throwdown moments are selling for less than the cost of the pack.  The 4 money makers aren’t even selling for much ($150-$300).  I should have just skipped the pack and bought a Zion or Edwards for $280.

Edited by Synthesizer
  • Sad 1

Well I've recently lost money hand over fist.  Probably should have sold out of all this 2 months ago.  Luckily I made a few bucks on a few big trades, which has offset most (all?) of my losses.

• Sad 1
4 minutes ago, Otis said:

Well I've recently lost money hand over fist.  Probably should have sold out of all this 2 months ago.  Luckily I made a few bucks on a few big trades, which has offset most (all?) of my losses.

How have you lost money