What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NBA Top Shot Thread - kind of like sports card + crypto, seems money to be made.... (1 Viewer)

That Dappradar site wouldn’t be owned by Dapper Labs, the folks who created these highlight coins?

https://m.facebook.com/dappradar/posts/378986856144500 

How are the prices for Mold Magicians in Cheese Wizards holding up a couple years later?

got in on this a couple weeks ago.  don't see it as a long term play but i'm holding for now.  playoffs are my guess for when the prices peak.
🥱

but now that I see you're aligned so hard against this I may have to reconsider

🥱

but now that I see you're aligned so hard against this I may have to reconsider
I’m not trying to convince you, have fun. It just doesn’t interest me at all especially as an investment.

I just had to laugh because I can only assume that the site you linked is sponsored by one of the creators of the highlights. A wee bit of conflict of interest in trying to tell people how to value them and also funny that my search brought up auctions for Mold Magicians in the Cheese Wizards set.

I’m not trying to convince you, have fun. It just doesn’t interest me at all especially as an investment.

I just had to laugh because I can only assume that the site you linked is sponsored by one of the creators of the highlights. A wee bit of conflict of interest in trying to tell people how to value them and also funny that my search brought up auctions for Mold Magicians in the Cheese Wizards set.
they have a stake in the company doing well, yes.  it's still an informative write-up for someone trying to learn about the moments and what makes a $20,000 Lebron hologram dunk with Serial No. 20 worth more than a $5,000 Kevin Durant 3 pointer with Serial No. 85.  

like I said, long term I can't imagine these holding their current valuations.  with that said, the comparison to the Cheese Wizards is silly.  the NBA is a partner here.  players are discussing these on social media and going into the discord chat to interact with fans.  Mark Cuban is talking about it on CNBC.  Otis started a thread about them on footballguys.com!

in all honesty, i'm probably closer to your view than I am to that of a TopShot bull.  but they did something like $50 million in volume over the weekend.  when I don't understand something that everyone else seems to be in on, my first instinct is to try to learn more before dismissing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I'm not a true FBG so I'll try to get lucky and buy some packs. Doubtful I'll get any at this point but who doesn't like a good gamble?

The pack drop process is stressful and maddening.  Me and 4 friends all joined the que last night.  1 of us got lucky (and pulled a nice Luka).  The rest of us were so far down the line we just left.

I have purchase 5 moments in the last few days off of tips from my son who follows nba.  I spent around 200 and my account is "worth" about 250 so there's that.

Yeah there is so much interest right now that the odds of getting a pack in the stress test 5k drops are pretty low.

Nice pull on the Luka. That's why it's worth it to join these though. You never know when you'll open a multi-thousand dollar moment.

I got in line last night but missed out on a pack. Maybe those of us in it should keep in touch and let others so know when they go live so we can try to snag some packs?

I got a buddy who's rich, professional poker player, and always seems to be fairly pragmatic about these kinds of things.

I think he said he invested about $10,000 in a ton of these NBA Top Shot things. Which killed him because as a product of the 80s he used to collect baseball cards which are of course a physical thing 

But his layman explanation was that this is the direction the world has shifted and that electronic scarcity (aiken to BTC) is a new form of value that the newer generation has completely bought into.

He sees it as a chance to get in on the ground level of something that could be absolutely HUGE in 10 years or less.

I got a buddy who's rich, professional poker player, and always seems to be fairly pragmatic about these kinds of things.

I think he said he invested about $10,000 in a ton of these NBA Top Shot things. Which killed him because as a product of the 80s he used to collect baseball cards which are of course a physical thing 

But his layman explanation was that this is the direction the world has shifted and that electronic scarcity (aiken to BTC) is a new form of value that the newer generation has completely bought into.

He sees it as a chance to get in on the ground level of something that could be absolutely HUGE in 10 years or less.
What’s scarce about it?

GroveDiesel said:
What’s scarce about it?
I guess they only create a finite amount of each moment. Like for instance, if it happened today you could buy "Jordan's last shot in the NBA Finals" which only 10,000 versions of this file exist.

The cool thing is, I guess you can plug this into your Occulus and watch the moment as if you were court side.

Is that correct?

Feel like there’s a future in something like this but this isn’t it. Maybe this will morph into that but as it currently stands it’s hard to see the value placed on them right now. 99% of the people involved are trying to turn a quick profit, not really seeing it as a collectible. Needs to be more proprietary IMO. Something that’s unique to the actual item you’re buying. Some of the “moments” aren’t even good. They wouldn’t even make the nightly sports center best plays. 

I guess they only create a finite amount of each moment. Like for instance, if it happened today you could buy "Jordan's last shot in the NBA Finals" which only 10,000 versions of this file exist.

The cool thing is, I guess you can plug this into your Occulus and watch the moment as if you were court side.

Is that correct?
Well, kinda. But I can watch the exact same video clip of that “moment” for free all over the internet. There are literally exact copies of them. Even with trading cards there’s at least a very specific item that only one person can legitimately hold at one time. Sure, I can look at a picture of it online, but I can’t actually hold the card. And the value of cards is based quite a bit on nostalgia.

The whole thing just seems nonsensical to me. But I guess, like any collectible, it will have value if people decide it has value. A photograph laminated onto a piece of cardboard selling for thousands of dollars doesn’t make a lot of sense to me either, so I guess I’m the one that may be the odd man out.

Oh wait.  So more than one person can "own" the exact same highlight, but with a different serial number?  Will all of this video be eventually taken down by the NBA from youtube and other free sites in order to make these actually have some scarcity value?

Oh wait.  So more than one person can "own" the exact same highlight, but with a different serial number?  Will all of this video be eventually taken down by the NBA from youtube and other free sites in order to make these actually have some scarcity value?
That’s the only thing that would really make sense to me. But they would be fools to do that IMO.

Here’s my take, it took me a couple days to get here:

- They’re basically like baseball cards. Except digital. They’re stored in a blokchain so they’re ultra secure. 

- instead of a picture it’s a “highlight” or “moment.”  So a little video clip of some highlight. 
- for common moments, they make 15,000 of them. It’s like common baseball cards. Not super rare. Each has an individual serial number. So 1 of 15,000 is worth a lot more than 14,000 of 15,000. And the serial number that matches the player’s jersey is worth insane bucks. 

- You can buy packs when they drop. It’s random and you have to be really fast to get one. The common packs are 9 bucks. You’re almost assured to get something worth more than that, and some a lot lot lot lot more. 
Packs are here: https://www.nbatopshot.com/packs

Some special edition packs are more than 9 bucks, but the cards are thus rare and worth more. 

- Right now there are no packs available. But lots and lots of people are waiting on the next one.  People are flooding into this in droves. 

- You can buy individual cards from others in the marketplace.  Here are the ones I bought today — some expensive, some cheap (my most expensive is a Lebron highlight I got for $999 — just seemed like good value because the ones at nearby serial numbers were selling for $1500 or $2000 or more). 
https://www.nbatopshot.com/user/@0tis/moments

- Here is the marketplace:

https://www.nbatopshot.com/search
I actually signed up for the beta a long time ago, but didn't ever try to purchase anything when I got the notices :wall:  

But yeah, in regards to the bolded above, it's no different than the serial numbered inserts they put in card packs these days. The lower the bottom number, the higher the value usually. And if you can get the #1 or the last # in the series, or the player's jersey number, then you've got yourself a premium in most cases.  Just wait till they come out with the 1/1's (or maybe they already have some?). 

Well, kinda. But I can watch the exact same video clip of that “moment” for free all over the internet. There are literally exact copies of them. Even with trading cards there’s at least a very specific item that only one person can legitimately hold at one time. Sure, I can look at a picture of it online, but I can’t actually hold the card. And the value of cards is based quite a bit on nostalgia.

The whole thing just seems nonsensical to me. But I guess, like any collectible, it will have value if people decide it has value. A photograph laminated onto a piece of cardboard selling for thousands of dollars doesn’t make a lot of sense to me either, so I guess I’m the one that may be the odd man out.
Exactly. Maybe if this was something taken from like a camera on the player’s jersey or something and it wasn’t released to the public - you basically are the only one with the clip - I could see that being highly valuable. These are just clips people can find on YouTube. 

This just screams hustlers and redditers trying to get rich. Somebody will be left with the bag. 

Exactly. Maybe if this was something taken from like a camera on the player’s jersey or something and it wasn’t released to the public - you basically are the only one with the clip - I could see that being highly valuable. These are just clips people can find on YouTube. 

This just screams hustlers and redditers trying to get rich. Somebody will be left with the bag. 
Be one thing if they were a fun little thing selling for sub 100 bucks but some of the original ones are north of a 100 grand. Not sure if they have actually sold for that or if the markets manipulated to make them look more valuable than they are. I know it’s nearly impossible to cash out right now. 

It's not the video that matters. These are just electronic trading cards, simply put. There are several digital card products (Panini has one, Topps has/had eTopps, etc.) This one just happens to be NBA-focused and it happens to be videos and it happens to be on blockchain. 

From just buying packs and selling your "pulls" or did you flip moments that you bought on the marketplace?
Both.

Sold a couple bigger moments for maybe $300 total and invested that into a bunch of others at a lower price. Buying at $5-$30 and are worth $20-$100.

My current biggest holding is one I got from a pack however - an Anthony Davis that is about $250, but was as high as the $400's when I posted two days ago.

Can't believe there was a thread for this and I didn't see it.

I got in on this a few weeks ago.  Was early in the queue for one of the holo packs (cost $999) but they had that glitch where people could circumvent the queue so I didn't get one even though I was early enough in line.  That hurt because the contents of those packs are worth a minimum of $5k now.

Got a Cool Cats pack and was going to complete the challenge for the AD last week.  Slept on it overnight and prices tripled.  Damn.

One of my buddies got in REAL early and dropped a couple grand into it and his account is worth over $100k now.

This thing may be a giant bubble, but it may also have some legs.  Like most I got into it just to flip for a quick profit.  But it's become addicting and now I genuinely want some of these "cards".  Similar to when I collected trading cards as a kid.  A lot of my friends feel the same way.  We all thought it was the stupidest thing ever when we heard about, but sure if internet cards want to give us some money we'll jump in.  But now it's actually fun.

I mean anything is just worth what somebody would pay for it. Even our currency. But that’s literally just a video clip. The Jordan rookie is worthy because it is a rare item - very few made. I just googled that Lebron highlight and 15 links came up. Not the same thing at all. 
I just googled Jordan Rookie Card and 6 million results came up.  I have 1000 sheets of paper sitting in my printer and I can print out 1000 copies of it.  I can even tape them to a piece of cardboard.

They only release a certain amount of each top shots moment.  Some are 1k.  Some are 15k.  With more people getting involved new moments will likely be even larger runs, which will probably make those early smaller runs even more valuable.

Some cards can only be generated via dated challenges so are never available in packs, and there could be as few as 10 of them.

Yes, you can go watch it on youtube instead, but the actual collectible piece with a trading marketplace only has a limited number created.  Just like I can go print out a jordan rookie card picture instead but there are only a limited number of the actual collectible piece that has a trading marketplace.

I just googled Jordan Rookie Card and 6 million results came up.  I have 1000 sheets of paper sitting in my printer and I can print out 1000 copies of it.  I can even tape them to a piece of cardboard.

They only release a certain amount of each top shots moment.  Some are 1k.  Some are 15k.  With more people getting involved new moments will likely be even larger runs, which will probably make those early smaller runs even more valuable.

Some cards can only be generated via dated challenges so are never available in packs, and there could be as few as 10 of them.

Yes, you can go watch it on youtube instead, but the actual collectible piece with a trading marketplace only has a limited number created.  Just like I can go print out a jordan rookie card picture instead but there are only a limited number of the actual collectible piece that has a trading marketplace.
But isn’t this the equivalent of the copy of that Jordan card vs being the original?

But isn’t this the equivalent of the copy of that Jordan card vs being the original?
Not sure I'm understanding the question.

There are multiple legitimate copies of the Jordan rookie card.  The official one that can be traded.  Then there are also unlimited number of fake copies I can make by clicking the print button on my printer.

Not sure I'm understanding the question.

There are multiple legitimate copies of the Jordan rookie card.  The official one that can be traded.  Then there are also unlimited number of fake copies I can make by clicking the print button on my printer.
You can tell the difference between the original Jordan card and a reproduction, they aren’t exactly the same. The videos, no matter where, are the exact same thing. Only difference is Top Shot packaged and numbered them in a certain way. The same highlight is even seen across multiple “moments”. Personally think there needs to be something proprietary to it for it to have long standing value. Just can’t see anyone caring about a mediocre highlight a few years from now. JMO. 

You can tell the difference between the original Jordan card and a reproduction, they aren’t exactly the same. The videos, no matter where, are the exact same thing. Only difference is Top Shot packaged and numbered them in a certain way. The same highlight is even seen across multiple “moments”. Personally think there needs to be something proprietary to it for it to have long standing value. Just can’t see anyone caring about a mediocre highlight a few years from now. JMO. 
You can get the exact same picture from Jordan's rookie card on google.  You can even print it out the same size.  The only difference is what they put on the border.

Topshots does the same thing.  They even do different borders and different animations into the highlight depending on the type of card (common, gold, holo, etc).

I mean anything is just worth what somebody would pay for it. Even our currency. But that’s literally just a video clip. The Jordan rookie is worthy because it is a rare item - very few made. I just googled that Lebron highlight and 15 links came up. Not the same thing at all. 
It’s actually exactly the same thing.  I could google the picture on the Jordan rookie card.  Hell I could Google pictures of the card itself, and print one out in color.  The card is a stupid piece of paper in reality, but it’s worth something because collectors collect.  

This is no different in that sense. Except here they are in limited quantities and with individual serial numbers.  I don’t think my baseball cards ever were serial numbered. 

And this has a crypto and blockchain twist, so a new generation of folks find it interesting.

In the end I agree it’s totally stupid, but it’s no less stupid than a baseball card having value.  Or hell, crypto having value for that matter.  It’s all just made up stuff that people place value on for a variety of reasons.  

Can't believe there was a thread for this and I didn't see it.

I got in on this a few weeks ago.  Was early in the queue for one of the holo packs (cost $999) but they had that glitch where people could circumvent the queue so I didn't get one even though I was early enough in line.  That hurt because the contents of those packs are worth a minimum of $5k now.

Got a Cool Cats pack and was going to complete the challenge for the AD last week.  Slept on it overnight and prices tripled.  Damn.

One of my buddies got in REAL early and dropped a couple grand into it and his account is worth over $100k now.

This thing may be a giant bubble, but it may also have some legs.  Like most I got into it just to flip for a quick profit.  But it's become addicting and now I genuinely want some of these "cards".  Similar to when I collected trading cards as a kid.  A lot of my friends feel the same way.  We all thought it was the stupidest thing ever when we heard about, but sure if internet cards want to give us some money we'll jump in.  But now it's actually fun.
Agree with all this. 

Be one thing if they were a fun little thing selling for sub 100 bucks but some of the original ones are north of a 100 grand. Not sure if they have actually sold for that or if the markets manipulated to make them look more valuable than they are. I know it’s nearly impossible to cash out right now. 
I will be hugely skeptical until someone cashes out successfully and we hear about it.

But the FOMO is very real, which is in my opinion is driving this value skyrocket in the same way it has with BTC recently.

Users who are viewing this thread