What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NBA Top Shot Thread - kind of like sports card + crypto, seems money to be made.... (1 Viewer)

That one was $14 but seems like they range from $9-299? More expensive packs have rarer moments in them. 
There is a big thread at blowout sports forum about it.  As crazy as the sports markets are now, I’ll never get the basketball market.  So much FU Money being thrown around in it.

My son has tried at least 4 times and has yet to be high enough on the list to actually get a pack.

Ooooo baby, just grabbed a Seeing Stars last night. Pulled a Zach Lavine LE #2715/10k. Prices in that range are going $250-350.

Sold all three of mine for $226 total which is $214.70 after the 5% fee. I'll take a solid $200 profit for 10 minutes of my time. If I could just do that all day I'd be making Otis money. 
Nice! I thought the marketplace was closed until the last of the Seeing Stars drop was done. 

I did get one verification on Twitter that someone was able to cash out. I plan on selling mine and recouping my pack buy-in money and free-rolling the rest. Will report back when I have cash in hand. 

My bro flipped his first pack of 3 he got about 5 or 6 weeks ago, right before it caught in with everyone, about 2 weeks ago. He flipped a pretty ordinary $9 pack for $500. But that was also right before the market corrected a couple weeks ago. Literally like the day after he sold them, all the prices across the board dropped by like half.

Market keeps going down, frustrating. Seems the prices are getting hammered today. 

I got a pack with a nice Harden that I turned around and sold did $440. Not bad for a $14 investment. I then bought a few packs off some random stranger on the secondary market for like $160 a pop. Looks like they’re probably work out well, a few nice value cards in those. 

I have way too much money sunk into this though and need to stop. 

Market keeps going down, frustrating. Seems the prices are getting hammered today. 

I got a pack with a nice Harden that I turned around and sold did $440. Not bad for a $14 investment. I then bought a few packs off some random stranger on the secondary market for like $160 a pop. Looks like they’re probably work out well, a few nice value cards in those. 

There’s no limit on the number they can produce. 

How much money 

Which would be rad if it were the stock market or Bitcoin or something. Not fake basketball cards. Oof. 

One of the metrics sites says I’m in the top 2% of account values. 
Got a link to some of these sites? Trying to figure out how to play this now that I could finally get some packs. Feels like early days still, but I've just been watching these moments go up and down a ton lol.

Decided to part ways with Lamelo. 

I'll probably keep buying packs and keep sealed but I'm curious if Top Shot will oversaturate the market to "please everyone"

Last edited by a moderator:
Decided to part ways with Lamelo. 

I'll probably keep buying packs and keep sealed but I'm curious if Top Shot will oversaturate the market to "please everyone"
How much did you get for the Lamelo?

I'm sure they will saturate the market.  I think it's only technical issues holding them back at this point.  They've said they want to have it where you can buy packs at any time without having to wait for a "drop" just like trading cards.

I'm not sure how that will affect the early editions though.  If they start minting moments in runs of 150k per moment then how will that affect the early editions that are only 1500 or 15k per moment?  Again, similar to trading cards where there is a constant never-ending influx of new cards but that doesn't affect the value of the early sets that came in much smaller runs.

One of the metrics sites says I’m in the top 2% of account values. 
Amazing. I've cleared about a grand out of this thing and am sitting on probably $1,500 more in current moments. I have a weird goal of just collecting all the Anthony Edwards cards. Hoping his second one comes down in $$ fairly soon. 

I'm sure they will saturate the market.  I think it's only technical issues holding them back at this point.  They've said they want to have it where you can buy packs at any time without having to wait for a "drop" just like trading cards.
Worth remembering this is still in beta. I think its admirable how they are trying to control against bots/preventing people from hoarding packs thus far.

Amazing. I've cleared about a grand out of this thing and am sitting on probably $1,500 more in current moments. I have a weird goal of just collecting all the Anthony Edwards cards. Hoping his second one comes down in $$ fairly soon. 
It's a no brainier to try for these more expensive packs too right?

Exactly. I'm not convinced it's in my best interest to go for this $200 pack tonight. Not sure if I'm going for it yet. 32k packs they're giving out. That's a pretty good amount. Consider standard more regular packs (granted less rare stuff) only give out 15k per standard pack.

Okay, so maybe I am getting excited for nothing, but my Seeing Stars Luka is serial numbered 1,100 and all the ones above mine are being offered to sell in the $1000-1500 range--some way, way higher. Can someone give me a quick tutorial on what you think I should list this for and how the whole selling process works? How easy it is to withdraw that money. I actually want to buy more, but my wife has other plans. 

If they offer up veteran players and old moments--dear God, will this become huge. Can you imagine what a Jordan or Dr J would go for? 

If they offer up veteran players and old moments--dear God, will this become huge. Can you imagine what a Jordan or Dr J would go for? 
That's what I've always thought and hope they expand to. Imagine Jordan over Russell for the W. Ray Allen for 3 Game 6 BANG! Would go for tons of money.

Any opinions on whether or not these packs (Rising Stars, in this case) should be opened or not?

How are you thousandaires reporting these windfalls on your taxes?

#TulipMania

Am I the only one still doing this?
Nope. I've tried for the last few drops and only got about 1 out of the last 4 or so.

I am trying to get packs and flip what seems overvalued to lock in profit and keep the rest for the long term.

Nope. I've tried for the last few drops and only got about 1 out of the last 4 or so.

I am trying to get packs and flip what seems overvalued to lock in profit and keep the rest for the long term.
I'm taking a similar approach. I did get a LeBron 35k from a pack which I'm keeping. I also bought one of the no look 3s a la @Otis yesterday too. I agree with him that it's an iconic moment from one of the all time greats. I have the same user name on there is anyone cares. 

I'm not sure if I've said it in here but I think Top Shot either becomes the next big thing and sees a massive multiple in a few years or it goes to $0. I'll take the gamble. 

Also, rare pack drop today at noon pacific. Need to own 3 moments and you should probably add the $229 to your account now so you don't run into issues during checkout. 

Am I the only one still doing this?
The last pack I was able to get was the Seeing Stars pack.  I got a 7k/10k LE Hardin Seeing Stars card that I sold for $275 to help fund future packs.  I've been trying to sell my 34/35,000 Mason Plumlee for $225 but no bites yet.  🙂

I opened the Pre-Order Base pack from a couple weeks ago, which was delivered last weekend, and didn't have anything good in there.  Best card was a 2651/35k Hassan Whiteside.

I've been in line for every drop over the last 6 weeks and been able to get 2 packs.  There's a drop today at 12 PDT for a rare $229 pack, but I think they only have 36,378 of them.  You have to have 3 moments in your collection to be eligible, so maybe that'll make it so less than 180k people are in line.

The last pack I was able to get was the Seeing Stars pack.  I got a 7k/10k LE Hardin Seeing Stars card that I sold for $275 to help fund future packs.  I've been trying to sell my 34/35,000 Mason Plumlee for $225 but no bites yet.  🙂

I opened the Pre-Order Base pack from a couple weeks ago, which was delivered last weekend, and didn't have anything good in there.  Best card was a 2651/35k Hassan Whiteside.

I've been in line for every drop over the last 6 weeks and been able to get 2 packs.  There's a drop today at 12 PDT for a rare $229 pack, but I think they only have 36,378 of them.  You have to have 3 moments in your collection to be eligible, so maybe that'll make it so less than 180k people are in line.
I got the seeing stars and pre-order as well. Sold my Jayson Tatum SS moment but kept my LeBron assist base from the pre-order. Managed to get one of the common packs this week but it was a bust. 

I bought a lower serial number LeBron 3 this morning with the market drop. Hoping to make a little bit of profit on the other one once the market bounces back. 

The obvious short term opportunity is to focus on collecting players who will be retiring in the next 5-10 years. If there's only 4-5 years worth of Lebron James "Top Shots" those are going to be worth a lot more than 20 years worth of moments from Giannis Antetekoumpo.

Furthermore, imagine you had the equivalent of Michael Jordan's last shot but for Lebron. How much is that going to be worth? ;)

The obvious short term opportunity is to focus on collecting players who will be retiring in the next 5-10 years. If there's only 4-5 years worth of Lebron James "Top Shots" those are going to be worth a lot more than 20 years worth of moments from Giannis Antetekoumpo.

Furthermore, imagine you had the equivalent of Michael Jordan's last shot but for Lebron. How much is that going to be worth? ;)
Very good point...

I've got 3 for sale at what I feel like are competitive prices. No bites yet. I assume you get an alert/email when one of your listings sells? Then the $ shows in your Dapper account? 

I just signed up yesterday. :oldunsure:  Going to try and land a few cheapo packs just for fun.
Nice, good luck sir! I've been kinda treating it like fantasy with targeting players that have upside though I don't know nearly as much about basketball as I do football. So really not much different than gambling I guess lol. 

I just don't get the marketplace yet, but I am a newbie. My Luka, as I mentioned before, is fairly low serial numbered. Looking at the listings for the moments with serial numbers just a little lower than mine, they are listed consistently around $1,100 (some higher) , but yet I see ones with higher numbers going for more. So I am unsure what to list mine at. I am not that attached to it, so I figured I may just list it at $900.00 and see what happens. 

Users who are viewing this thread