What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NBA Top Shot Thread - kind of like sports card + crypto, seems money to be made.... (2 Viewers)

Haha yeah I was over 200k. I think this is either the next big thing in sports collecting or it goes to $0. So high risk, high reward imo. I'm fine with gambling a few thousand dollars on it. 

I was 256,646 but assumed I used up my luck on the last drop.  Think I'm 1-4 on getting a pack when amounts are limited now, which actually seems pretty good.

Got my pack!

Goran Dragic Cool Cat 14k/15k
Paul George base 16k/35k
Thaddeus Young base 19k/35k
Clint Capela base 4k/35k
Kristaps Porzingis base 9k/35k

Will be interested to see what these are going for once the market opens back up. 

I'm wondering whether it's worth going for this cool cat challenge since I drew the one that might cost the most to buy in Porzingis.

I was at 126k. 

My buddy said once the MP opened, “noobs” were putting up Cool Cats in the $20 range and he struck out 30 plus times trying to acquire one. The sharks are out after the drops looking for mispriced moments.

I just grabbed a Garland common LE (15k minted and never more) serial 710 for $39. Seemed way off and his jersey number is 10. Will hold this one for a bit, maybe into next season. 

Bobcat10 said:
I was at 126k. 

My buddy said once the MP opened, “noobs” were putting up Cool Cats in the $20 range and he struck out 30 plus times trying to acquire one. The sharks are out after the drops looking for mispriced moments.

I just grabbed a Garland common LE (15k minted and never more) serial 710 for $39. Seemed way off and his jersey number is 10. Will hold this one for a bit, maybe into next season. 
Yeah the race to the bottom after packs drop is real. They need to start allowing more people to sign up if they're going to keep dropping packs and increasing the supply. 

Yeah the race to the bottom after packs drop is real. They need to start allowing more people to sign up if they're going to keep dropping packs and increasing the supply. 
This was definitely a learning experience for me. As the marketplace opened up I watched the ask price on the Dragic moment fall from $50 to $22. I panicked a bit, and once the price rebounded I was happy to sell mine for $45. Just checked today and the lowest ask is $72. :bag:  Now I know to wait.

This was definitely a learning experience for me. As the marketplace opened up I watched the ask price on the Dragic moment fall from $50 to $22. I panicked a bit, and once the price rebounded I was happy to sell mine for $45. Just checked today and the lowest ask is $72. :bag:  Now I know to wait.
I learned the hard way too. Still am I guess lol. Could be decent money in flipping moments if you're quick too. 

Synthesizer said:
Got my first pack.  I am surprised that people are willing to pay over 50% the cost of a pack in order to buy a common.  So I sold off 2 commons to pay for the pack.  Still have a regular Curry and cool cats Dragic to show from the pack.  Off to a good start.
Sold a Cool Cats Dragic layup for $90 this morning. Good to know everything is on a free roll now. Should probably list more of these.

Another guaranteed pack drop today through Thursday. You can get a pack for $9. Some decent moments in there too, although I expect all commons. :lol:   Good luck!
So does the place in line (15,388) matter or everyone is guaranteed a pack?  

If everyone can get one, are they worth getting?  (I haven't tried for any of these yet)

Last edited by a moderator:
So does the place in line (15,388) matter or everyone is guaranteed a pack?  

If everyone can get one, are they worth getting?  (I haven't tried for any of these yet)
Preorder submitted, probably just a waste of $9?  Looks like they already sold about 225,000 @ $9 a pop.   :shock:   Thats one hell of a moneymaking scam.

Thanks for the post because I went on and ordered my first pack. When this thing goes to nothing, at least I'll have gotten $9 of entertainment out of how they built that ordering platform. 

New Business Idea:

You give me money for public domain digital images and I evaluate them for you.  I tell you they are worth a #### ton of money and everyone wants in. 

I make deals with sleazy touts to build it up and tell everyone that if you're not in this - you're a donkey.

You can sell it - but if you do, I'm not giving you the money until I decide my platform can support it.  

New twist:  Decide it's too exclusive and people are upset - so just release a ton of #### at $9/pack.  

These guys must be the Russian mob.  

With that many packs coming out and the already dropping prices, you have to figure supply is going to out strip demand soon in a big way IMO. 

Yeesh. 

Both Chase and BOA blocking these CC transactions now. I agree with the above the market is going to fall off (already has). I've just been collecting packs. 

Edit: Able to get this pre-order pack after a 2nd attempt.

This whole thing seems a bit sketchy will them immediately being able to TAKE your payment. But yet having this big "verification process" for withdrawals. So we're supposed to feel better because the NBA has given its stamp of approval?  :unsure:  

Canadian blockchain technology company Dapper Labs has secured $305 million in private funding -- some of it from current and former NBA players, including Michael Jordan -- to scale up its virtual NBA trading card site, the company said Tuesday.

Vancouver, British Columbia-based Dapper says NBA Top Shot has rung up $500 million in sales and registered more than 800,000 accounts since its public beta testing phase began in October.

The virtual cards come in the form of a floating digital cube that includes a video highlight of an NBA player and come with a nonfungible token (NFT), backed by blockchain technology, certifying its authenticity and scarcity. A LeBron James dunk highlight sold for $210,000 recently but more common cards can often be had for less than $10.

Besides the NBA, Dapper partners include Warner Music Group, Ubisoft and UFC. The company says the new round of funding will help it expand its NFT and blockchain products to a wide range of businesses.
Wow

I'm as pessimistic about this as a whole long term as anyone, maybe for different reasons, but....

You will easily make the $9 back right now.  I'm debating opening the pack when I get it.  Holding strong with my sealed $14 still.

As noted a few posts above....Dapper just got a #### ton of money, including Jordan's, at a monster valuation, so this isn't going to flop anytime soon.

They're still limiting new sign ups.  There are millions, or billions, of NBA fans.  A very small percentage are in this right now and many that aren't want to be.  

Get any pack you can right now, IMO.

agreed... just posting this for comparison later, per their (attempted) withdrawal page:

# of people with access to withdrawals: 28,041 (as of March 26th, 2021)
What does that mean?  There are 28k people with pending/active withdrawal requests?  28k successful withdrawals to date?

Just bought a 9 dollar pack. I can open it tomorrow? I don’t have any idea what I’m doing here. 
Sometime in the next week or two, you'll get a notification that your pack is available in your account. Then you can go to your account and open to see what you have. Or let it sit unopened if you so choose. 

Sometime in the next week or two, you'll get a notification that your pack is available in your account. Then you can go to your account and open to see what you have. Or let it sit unopened if you so choose. 
Thank you. So why was this so easy to get when people previously had been waiting in line so long? Increase of supply?

Thank you. So why was this so easy to get when people previously had been waiting in line so long? Increase of supply?
Yes, it was a guaranteed drop. So if you joined the "line" you get a pack. Normally there's a limited number of packs available and it completely depends on your spot in line once the line is formed, as to whether or not you get an opportunity to actually buy a pack. 

interesting - hadn't heard that before
That was part of the most recent cares act I think. Anything over $600 requires a 1099. Gotta make sure the peons are paying taxes on their $1k fantasy winnings so we can start paying on that national debt you know. 

Seems like values have been getting pretty beat up lately.
I’ll be honest, not a big believer in these NFTs. I see it as a place to buy stuff for future virtual worlds/games but just as a simple purchase. People paying $500k for a virtual house are insane or have so much Ethereum rolling around that they don’t know what to do with it or the are in on it so to speak. There’s just 0 real uniqueness because there’s so much product. The people who make money are the people who run the market and sold the stuff. Investing in NBA highlights? Just assume there’s 1 highlight a game for each team and 2000 “cards” per highlight. That’s 5 million “cards” per season. Throw in special additions, more highlights per game, other sports, historic highlights and you are talking a glut in just one year.

Maybe I’m missing something but it’s basically virtual cards and the sucky part is that it’s not even as exclusive because in real cards there is a notion of grading so some are better than others.

Oh well, not surprised to see values falling barely over a month into this thread. 

Users who are viewing this thread