Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

FFPC dynasty and redraft thread


Recommended Posts

One more thing, cutting down in FFPC is super tough but if anyone has only been playing FFPC in last few years you got spared needing to do cuts before FA. The cut deadline used to be Feb 28th and for someone like me who does like to gobble up players whose values could spike with some good FA outcome to them or their comp it was brutally difficult. This was one of the better rules changes the FFPC ever did.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think there are enough nuances and unique qualities to the FFPC leagues that many of us play in, that we should have our own dedicated thread to talk shop, strategy, anything really that doesn't fit

I assumed trading would be open when the league was formed.

@barackdhouse @joey I emailed them and Dave said NP, we need to email them a spreadsheet of names and everyone on the list needs to have the $350 in their account. I can do the spreadsheet once we fin

34 minutes ago, menobrown said:

 

I don't know about the rest of you but I can't say I play dynasty for money. The money justifies the means and time but I'm losing more money right now on business I should be doing then talking about fantasy and I mean literally right now, lol.

 

Oh I know. I think our schools are going to be opening up soon and the kids will be out of the house again. I'm doing good working from home but I have got to get out of this space more. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, menobrown said:

I don't really have an issue with the communication but something I've asked for multiple times and is for leagues to have a history section detailing past league champions,  top seed finishes, etc. I just think that adds to the pride of ownership a little, it's small but helps make it less of a money grab and more about league competition and pride over past accomplishments. As is just feels like last years just never happened.

I don't know about the rest of you but I can't say I play dynasty for money. The money justifies the means and time but I'm losing more money right now on business I should be doing then talking about fantasy and I mean literally right now, lol.

As for what to discuss I'm open to any direction but assumed, especially in these dire slow times, anything was up for discussion.

Agreed, something else I would like FFPC to include in team history is name changes and ownership changes (sales). It is annoying to try to keep up with owners who change their team name again and again (why?) and sort them with new owners that are coming in. 

 

Edited by NE_REVIVAL
Link to post
Share on other sites

There is an added incentive to keeping a team that has been purchased as an orphan on the 3rd party site. There are prizes for the top scoring orphans by each league type. The total points scored from weeks 1-13. 1st place is a Main Event team (~$1900). 2nd place is a $500 FFPC credit, and so on all the way down to 10th place. One set of prizes for the regular FFPC orphans, one set for the Superflex orphans, and one set each for the BB and BB SF. Caveat I just read is that you have to maintain ownership through the contest. It will take a really good team to do it, and there are plenty that have been purchased. But it certainly adds a little spice to not just flip your team. Maybe.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Random FFPC web site gripe: is it just me or does the site require you to log out and back in once or twice every week? And god forbid I dare to click on the "Stats" link. I get the "Oops!" Page that also requires me to log out and back in again. Happens on both my iPad and my regular desktop browser (both Firefox, so maybe that has something to do with it). When I reached out to their support they were of almost no help. Told me to clear caches, log out and back in. They said it's just me. I told them I don’t have any other fantasy web site that makes me log out/in more than twice a whole season, let alone every time I click on the Stats link. Ugh. 
 

so...is it just me?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, joey said:

Random FFPC web site gripe: is it just me or does the site require you to log out and back in once or twice every week? And god forbid I dare to click on the "Stats" link. I get the "Oops!" Page that also requires me to log out and back in again. Happens on both my iPad and my regular desktop browser (both Firefox, so maybe that has something to do with it). When I reached out to their support they were of almost no help. Told me to clear caches, log out and back in. They said it's just me. I told them I don’t have any other fantasy web site that makes me log out/in more than twice a whole season, let alone every time I click on the Stats link. Ugh. 
 

so...is it just me?

No their site is having issues. Lots of people are complaining. Unfortunate that they're saying it is us. I cleared my cookies last night and it is maybe worse than before. They did some sort of backend update a few days ago. I don't care enough to get involved with support on it. I'm going to let someone else handle it and assume it gets better. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm curious to see how the division reshuffling plays out on these FFPC squads. Should be in the next couple weeks. While there is a downside that a stacked team may find itself within a strong division, there is an upside that a marginal playoff quality orphan or simply a rebuilder might find itself in a weak division and squeak into the dance and get hot at the right time. Neither situation really matters a lot but it can be the difference between being a top seed that auto advances past week 14 and it can be the difference between a marginal playoff team making it or not. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, barackdhouse said:

I'm curious to see how the division reshuffling plays out on these FFPC squads. Should be in the next couple weeks. While there is a downside that a stacked team may find itself within a strong division, there is an upside that a marginal playoff quality orphan or simply a rebuilder might find itself in a weak division and squeak into the dance and get hot at the right time. Neither situation really matters a lot but it can be the difference between being a top seed that auto advances past week 14 and it can be the difference between a marginal playoff team making it or not. 

I must’ve missed this. I guess if I look at my league page I’m in a different division now, but with team name changes and teams swapping owners I can’t even remember who my division rivals were last year. So is this something they announced was going to happen?

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, joey said:

I must’ve missed this. I guess if I look at my league page I’m in a different division now, but with team name changes and teams swapping owners I can’t even remember who my division rivals were last year. So is this something they announced was going to happen?

As far as I can tell they haven't changed them yet. But they get reshuffled every year. I don't know that they announce it. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My leagues have not randomized divisions yet but agree it's something of interest but let me tie that into something.

What are peoples thoughts or expectations on FFPC, both redraft and dynasty, should we go to 17 games next year?

I know for me the one thing I would be adamantly against is maintaining status quo, which would mean not counting the last two weeks of the season.

For dynasty leagues the 17 game season with16 week fantasy season, is actually perfect.  Regular season would just be 14 weeks and what makes it perfect is it would eliminate the team you miss on your schedule each year which is the other thing along with schedule I look at when it comes out.

For redraft I am hopeful they extend the regular season a week but there you run into a schedule imbalance were you'd have 12 weeks of games vs 11 opponents, easy way to fix like RTS does with their 12 game schedule.

Edited by menobrown
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, barackdhouse said:

As far as I can tell they haven't changed them yet. But they get reshuffled every year. I don't know that they announce it. 

They changed in my leagues.

Jeez do divisions matter at all for scheduling?  I just noticed in my main league all of the 4 best teams are in together in the same division now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, FreeBaGeL said:

 

Jeez do divisions matter at all for scheduling?

Yes, you play your division twice each and way it was under 16 game schedule you play 7 of the other 8 teams once each while totally missing one team.

I'm just surprised your division's changed, I just double checked and mine and no changes, always figured they did them all at same time.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, FreeBaGeL said:

They changed in my leagues.

Jeez do divisions matter at all for scheduling?  I just noticed in my main league all of the 4 best teams are in together in the same division now.

Weird, mine are still the same as last year. I don't think it matters for scheduling but just in terms of easier/harder winning the division to get a ticket or a 1/2 seed. Last year I had a team that was 2nd in VPs overall but finished 2nd in the division so all I got was a ticket, not a bye and bonus $.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, barackdhouse said:

There is an added incentive to keeping a team that has been purchased as an orphan on the 3rd party site. There are prizes for the top scoring orphans by each league type. The total points scored from weeks 1-13. 1st place is a Main Event team (~$1900). 2nd place is a $500 FFPC credit, and so on all the way down to 10th place. One set of prizes for the regular FFPC orphans, one set for the Superflex orphans, and one set each for the BB and BB SF. Caveat I just read is that you have to maintain ownership through the contest. It will take a really good team to do it, and there are plenty that have been purchased. But it certainly adds a little spice to not just flip your team. Maybe.

I kind of wanted to bump this just to hear thoughts? There will be stiff competition to come in 1st place on their leaderboard, but still.....their site also says weekly prizes but I don't see any examples listed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, barackdhouse said:

What I read was they do them at the end of February.

Did they recently say that?

I was thinking they might want to hold off until the NFL officially ratifies a move to a 17 game schedule.

5 minutes ago, FreeBaGeL said:

Maybe I am just mis-remembering who was in my division.

You can just scroll back to the 2020 season and check standings.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, menobrown said:

Did they recently say that?

I was thinking they might want to hold off until the NFL officially ratifies a move to a 17 game schedule.

You can just scroll back to the 2020 season and check standings.

I looked in the rules because I was curious. Maybe a couple weeks ago. It's buried and I don't remember exactly where I found it. I had seen it once before. I think once I got on the rules page I did a CTRL F for "division".

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, menobrown said:

You can just scroll back to the 2020 season and check standings.

If I scroll back it has the divisions the same for every season.  So I guess either they don't actually change or when they do change it's a global setting that shows up on every year's league page.

Focusing just on my main league which I think (thought?) I have a pretty good handle on, I don't remember these teams being in my division for the entire life of the league.  But maybe that is just my aging bourbon exposed brain talking.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, menobrown said:

You have to click on Standings.

Ah, ok, thanks.  So looks like they have changed each year but haven't changed yet this year.  Wow I can't believe I didn't remember I was in that loaded division last year.  Will be good to get out of it this year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, FreeBaGeL said:

Ah, ok, thanks.  So looks like they have changed each year but haven't changed yet this year.  Wow I can't believe I didn't remember I was in that loaded division last year.  Will be good to get out of it this year.

Is that the team of yours you said had a bunch of good young talent but finished in last place? If so that may be why. If you are in division with nothing but stacked teams that's 46% of your schedule.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, menobrown said:

Is that the team of yours you said had a bunch of good young talent but finished in last place? If so that may be why. If you are in division with nothing but stacked teams that's 46% of your schedule.

No, the opposite.  This is the team that had the #1 seed and was 16 VP ahead of the #2 seed.  I guess that team was just steamrolling along so well I didn't even notice that all 3 of the other teams from my division were playoff teams, including the #2 and #4 teams in VP.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FreeBaGeL said:

Is there a way to see closed listings on dynastydepot.com?  IE what teams actually sold for?

Nope.

 

Also frustrating is that you can seemingly win (or lose) the auction, and still not be notified of what the final result was.  If you got outbid, or if the auction was cancelled, you have no way of knowing.  Your bids disappear from you history.

 

The other day, I had the high bid on a team (nothing amazing, your average orphan) until the last minute with the reserve price met.  When the auction seemingly ended, it didn't appear in my Inbox.  Within 24 hours the team was put back up for listing.  Apparently the seller didn't like the final price and cancelled it at the last second.  There is definitely some chicanery happening on that site.  I was a bit annoyed at this, but moreso confused.  I would hope the site would show "you got outbid - here is the final price", or "auction cancelled by seller", etc. 

 

That being said, I was communicating with one of the guys running the sight.  He was helpful in explaining the process, and he is aware there are some less than ideal aspects to how the site is configured.  He mentioned that in the near future, they're going to not going to allow cancellations once reserve is met. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've still never bought an orphan and really that has more to do with enjoying startups and not wanting to add more leagues then anything but the one thing I'd really want to know before buying an orphan is what the other teams in the league look like. Disappointed this is not available.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FreeBaGeL said:

Is there a way to see closed listings on dynastydepot.com?  IE what teams actually sold for?

Not that I'm aware of and I have a bit of an issue with that. I feel like it needs to be public, but IDK maybe there are good reasons against it that I haven't though of.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, jabarony said:

Nope.

 

Also frustrating is that you can seemingly win (or lose) the auction, and still not be notified of what the final result was.  If you got outbid, or if the auction was cancelled, you have no way of knowing.  Your bids disappear from you history.

 

The other day, I had the high bid on a team (nothing amazing, your average orphan) until the last minute with the reserve price met.  When the auction seemingly ended, it didn't appear in my Inbox.  Within 24 hours the team was put back up for listing.  Apparently the seller didn't like the final price and cancelled it at the last second.  There is definitely some chicanery happening on that site.  I was a bit annoyed at this, but moreso confused.  I would hope the site would show "you got outbid - here is the final price", or "auction cancelled by seller", etc. 

 

That being said, I was communicating with one of the guys running the sight.  He was helpful in explaining the process, and he is aware there are some less than ideal aspects to how the site is configured.  He mentioned that in the near future, they're going to not going to allow cancellations once reserve is met. 

Yeah I had what I assumed was the winning bid on an orphan a couple weeks back and it took more than 24 hours to confirm that I didn't, and then that team went back up for sale. I was told when you win a bid it can take up to 24 hours to be notified and to get a link to go pay for it at FFPC. If people don't know, there is a "buy now" button and if you do that (which is what I have done 95% of the time if I like the price), it redirects you to the FFPC site to a window that has the payment details set up. Well anyway there were a couple *other* orphans I was also interested in at the time but had no way of knowing whether I had won the previous auction and whether I was going to be on the hook or not. The result of an auction, whether won, lost, cancelled, reserve met/not met, pending, whatever, should be an immediate notification on either the website or one's email or both. They are all technically pending because once you get the link to the FFPC page to pay up, you can still back out and change your mind. So there is nothing binding about a winning bid, as far as I can tell. And that also is a jacked up feature.

Still I think most of this is hopefully benign enough to be fixed through the normal process of tweaking that occurs after a major new rollout like this.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

6 minutes ago, barackdhouse said:

 

Still I think most of this is hopefully benign enough to be fixed through the normal process of tweaking that occurs after a major new rollout like this.

You may have done this already but has anyone emailed DD  and asked them to address some of the issues? I think they would be open to any feedback on how to improve the process if it's brought to their attention.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, menobrown said:

 

You may have done this already but has anyone emailed DD  and asked them to address some of the issues? I think they would be open to any feedback on how to improve the process if it's brought to their attention.

Yeah I asked them about how to see if it is a winning bid. Got into a little conversation about it and they acknowledged they want to make improvements. I'm not losing sleep over it enough to complain more. I know one super easy thing they tweaked right after the bat after feedback was listing whether the reserve had been met yet. Also, originally every new listing triggered an email to everyone and they fixed that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Great thread!

Re FFPC customer service - I think it's outstanding!  Major props to Chris Lambert and Dave Gerczak; their support is the best!

My biggest pet peeve is seeing unbalanced trades.  One owner in one of my $500 leagues is continually getting robbed, often by the same owner. Example: Before the 2020 season, he traded Davante Adams for Amari Cooper. Straight up - WTF?!

I did have the good fortune (and luck is always a huge factor!) of winning both of my leagues last year.

Best team: QB: J Allen, Mayfield  RB: Kamara, J Taylor, Chubb, Akers, K Drake  WR: A Robinson, McLaurin, Jeudy, JuJu, OBJ, Ruggs, Hilton  TE: Fant, Hurst, Kmet

Biggest (recent) regret: I drafted Ruggs at 1.09 instead of J Jefferson - I'm such an idiot!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

 

Biggest (recent) regret: I drafted Ruggs at 1.09 instead of J Jefferson - I'm such an idiot!!

My biggest recent regret was drafting Henderson over AJ Brown at the 1.09 2 years ago. I was so RB-desperate and bought into the pre-season hype. I hopefully made up for it in this past year's draft by grabbing Pittman, Shenault and Claypool in the 1st, 3rd and 4th rounds, respectively (yeah, ridiculous value for Claypool at 4.12).

back to overvaluing RBs in the upcoming draft 😬

Edited by joey
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Great thread!

Re FFPC customer service - I think it's outstanding!  Major props to Chris Lambert and Dave Gerczak; their support is the best!

My biggest pet peeve is seeing unbalanced trades.  One owner in one of my $500 leagues is continually getting robbed, often by the same owner. Example: Before the 2020 season, he traded Davante Adams for Amari Cooper. Straight up - WTF?!

I did have the good fortune (and luck is always a huge factor!) of winning both of my leagues last year.

Best team: QB: J Allen, Mayfield  RB: Kamara, J Taylor, Chubb, Akers, K Drake  WR: A Robinson, McLaurin, Jeudy, JuJu, OBJ, Ruggs, Hilton  TE: Fant, Hurst, Kmet

Biggest (recent) regret: I drafted Ruggs at 1.09 instead of J Jefferson - I'm such an idiot!!

Agree on the customer service comment, it's really great. I was and remain extremely sore at FFPC for their handling of the Ravens vs Steelers game but that was one hiccup in a difficult season and not sure that falls under realm of customer service anyway. Also I would have to say Dave is the person who introduced me to dynasty.

Unbalanced trades stink but what can you do about it when collusion is not apparent? What would you suggest that is not getting in the way of someone running their team the way they see fit? It's a bit tricky but some owners do need being saved from themselves. The most controversial trade I've seen go down in FFPC was last year someone traded Elliot and Waller for 4 and 6. It led to two people, one an OG of 5+years in the league to leave the league immediately.

My biggest regret would also involve Jefferson, the fact it happened to my on my best team has curbed a little of the hurt but I gave 3/8 for 1.1. In effect I traded Swift and Jefferson(who I had picked at 8 in two other leagues) for CEH.

Also very sweet team you put together.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, barackdhouse said:

Yeah I asked them about how to see if it is a winning bid. Got into a little conversation about it and they acknowledged they want to make improvements. I'm not losing sleep over it enough to complain more. I know one super easy thing they tweaked right after the bat after feedback was listing whether the reserve had been met yet. Also, originally every new listing triggered an email to everyone and they fixed that. 

Yes, this is the first year for DD and from what they have said interfacing with the FFPC involves some complexity and moving parts. I have talked with the owner (Nelson) and they are listening to suggestions and want to improve things but they also don't want to break what is working. Their last news letter mentioned addressing the issue with owners being able to cancel even after the reserve price has been met. According to the email they will be making changes in the next couple of weeks and one of them will be removing the cancel button once the reserve has been met so owners can't cancel after the fact. I haven't tried to buy any teams but have sold 6 and all the sales went smoothly; I did have 1 minor glitch with 1 listing that cleared up after a couple of hours.

One of the suggestions I made was to allow owners to accept a bid that is below the reserve and that is something they plan on doing at some point in the not too distant future (I.E. give owners the option to accept the final bid even if below reserve). It will be a nice option when the final bid is just a little bit shy of what you are looking for.

Edited by NE_REVIVAL
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Best team: QB: J Allen, Mayfield  RB: Kamara, J Taylor, Chubb, Akers, K Drake  WR: A Robinson, McLaurin, Jeudy, JuJu, OBJ, Ruggs, Hilton  TE: Fant, Hurst, Kmet

Very nice squad. You have some tough cuts coming up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like the idea of getting players cheaper than usual before the cut down period for teams with some available spots to fill has been discussed. Any way to try a similar approach before cut downs to 20 prior to the season opener? 
 

some teams seem to have between 10-15 picks to go along with their 16 keepers. Those teams have to cut down to 20 before the season starts and young talent ( that might not get the camp hype) or middle the road vets both have the potential to be cut and therefore can be had for very cheap, as well. I’m trying to move most of my picks for 2022 bumps this year and see if I can get talent before the season for even cheaper than I can during the rookie draft season.

im aware I’m talking about guys with even lower shot of hitting (although rookies are now added to rosters) but feel like the profit from getting pick bumps from 3rd-5th rounders might off set the one gem available in these rounds and then use future 6-7s to fill out those last 4 spots prior to season opener. 
Is this a crazy stupid idea on my part or worth exploring?

having a large handful or future picks can also help in the appeal if you wanted to sell that team the following year. 
At the very least consolidating your picks to a total of 4 in the current year and bumping the rest for future draft gains should be considered.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, BigAl21 said:

I feel like the idea of getting players cheaper than usual before the cut down period for teams with some available spots to fill has been discussed. Any way to try a similar approach before cut downs to 20 prior to the season opener? 
 

some teams seem to have between 10-15 picks to go along with their 16 keepers. Those teams have to cut down to 20 before the season starts and young talent ( that might not get the camp hype) or middle the road vets both have the potential to be cut and therefore can be had for very cheap, as well. I’m trying to move most of my picks for 2022 bumps this year and see if I can get talent before the season for even cheaper than I can during the rookie draft season.

im aware I’m talking about guys with even lower shot of hitting (although rookies are now added to rosters) but feel like the profit from getting pick bumps from 3rd-5th rounders might off set the one gem available in these rounds and then use future 6-7s to fill out those last 4 spots prior to season opener. 
Is this a crazy stupid idea on my part or worth exploring?

having a large handful or future picks can also help in the appeal if you wanted to sell that team the following year. 
At the very least consolidating your picks to a total of 4 in the current year and bumping the rest for future draft gains should be considered.

Absolutely try all of those things. Not crazy at all. And yeah you can find deals before the cutdown to 20 for sure. And oh boy that first waiver run is usually ripe.

Rebuilding teams need to take lots of dart throws, even if they can't roster them all. I'm a good drafter and I sometimes end up with lots of middle and late picks, but I love to spend them just as cheaply as I get them. They are indispensable at moving up in the draft and targeting guys. But I am a move up and get your guy kind of drafter. That's only one approach. It kind of depends on the board and my needs and my capital. I have often profited off moving back but due to the roster limit of 20 inseason you really don't want too many dart throws. So yeah offer two current 4th for a future 3rd? Sure. I'll make the other side of that deal with you if I like the board. There are usually others that will, too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, BigAl21 said:

I feel like the idea of getting players cheaper than usual before the cut down period for teams with some available spots to fill has been discussed. Any way to try a similar approach before cut downs to 20 prior to the season opener?

Not a single thing you said is crazy.

Both cutdown dates are great buy low times. I'm almost always a seller at these times but the smaller roster size of FFPC was designed in part to assist teams improve quicker. Debate exists if that helps vs allowing teams to draft and hold prospects but that's another subject and not the rules we play. I see teams every year in every league with weak back end rosters who I don't think are actively doing enough bargain hunting at cut down times.I'm sure I'm not the only one who has stared at the league rosters and thought of the moves you'd be making if you had one of these kind of teams. I've had people, more then one, tell me they have no interest in my "trash" when I make them offers on players I can't keep. We know the cliche, and it applies, that's a faulty way of thinking IMO and anyone who has been doing FFPC for long probably has war stories of painful league altering type cuts they made.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, menobrown said:

Not a single thing you said is crazy.

Both cutdown dates are great buy low times. I'm almost always a seller at these times but the smaller roster size of FFPC was designed in part to assist teams improve quicker. Debate exists if that helps vs allowing teams to draft and hold prospects but that's another subject and not the rules we play. I see teams every year in every league with weak back end rosters who I don't think are actively doing enough bargain hunting at cut down times.I'm sure I'm not the only one who has stared at the league rosters and thought of the moves you'd be making if you had one of these kind of teams. I've had people, more then one, tell me they have no interest in my "trash" when I make them offers on players I can't keep. We know the cliche, and it applies, that's a faulty way of thinking IMO and anyone who has been doing FFPC for long probably has war stories of painful league altering type cuts they made.

+1

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, menobrown said:

Not a single thing you said is crazy.

Both cutdown dates are great buy low times. I'm almost always a seller at these times but the smaller roster size of FFPC was designed in part to assist teams improve quicker. Debate exists if that helps vs allowing teams to draft and hold prospects but that's another subject and not the rules we play. I see teams every year in every league with weak back end rosters who I don't think are actively doing enough bargain hunting at cut down times.I'm sure I'm not the only one who has stared at the league rosters and thought of the moves you'd be making if you had one of these kind of teams. I've had people, more then one, tell me they have no interest in my "trash" when I make them offers on players I can't keep. We know the cliche, and it applies, that's a faulty way of thinking IMO and anyone who has been doing FFPC for long probably has war stories of painful league altering type cuts they made.

 

 

 

Exactly. And I’m definitely the dude who is selling quality depth, who I will be cutting shortly, for peanuts, honestly. But I might rethink that a little this year. Maybe I’m better off cutting those 3 players I might have traded for 4ths or 5ths and instead let them "clog up" the draft so perhaps a rookie drops those couple of spots to me in the mid rounds. Or, heck, redraft the same player I just dropped for a similar or lower price if they’re still sitting there.  Thoughts  on that approach?

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, joey said:

Exactly. And I’m definitely the dude who is selling quality depth, who I will be cutting shortly, for peanuts, honestly. But I might rethink that a little this year. Maybe I’m better off cutting those 3 players I might have traded for 4ths or 5ths and instead let them "clog up" the draft so perhaps a rookie drops those couple of spots to me in the mid rounds. Or, heck, redraft the same player I just dropped for a similar or lower price if they’re still sitting there.  Thoughts  on that approach?

Good thought I've long considered .I've for sure cut players before when I could have got a pick on premise I might want to redraft them or I just was not that interested in helping someone I viewed as competition with a deal that was better for them then it was for me because they had room and I did not.

What is the line? That's harder to say and is probably case by case. Depends how badly I want to try and redraft the player I just can't find a spot for now. Depends on what team I'm helping out with the trade. If it's a crappy team making me offers I'm more inclined to help them, if it's someone I view as more in my way I'm more hesitant to help them get a player at a discount. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I hadn’t thought much about the notion of trading a valuable piece for a high pick to get down to 16 as opposed to just trading/cutting the 17th etc best player on your team. That’s an interesting idea particularly if you have a very deep team. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, IHEARTFF said:

I hadn’t thought much about the notion of trading a valuable piece for a high pick to get down to 16 as opposed to just trading/cutting the 17th etc best player on your team. That’s an interesting idea particularly if you have a very deep team. 

I've been trying to do it that way for years and I 100% endorse it. If your team is deep you are going to be cutting really, really good players, or at least ones with value, if you don't move them, or a different even more valuable piece, preemptively. It is the only way to make room for your draft picks, even though rosters gets expanded for the draft and rest of the offseason, inevitably I am left with a couple upside plays at the preseason cut to 20 that I really want to keep, at least for a few weeks and see what they might do. But also factoring in the need to be able to add waiver wire gems when they pop up, it is imperative to do what you're talking about. And if you can do it before the cut to 16, when deals are tough but activity is high, and before the draft so you can use the value you convert, this is what I'm actively doing like crazy right now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been very active and I think I have my cuts figured out for all my squads, with a few situations I'm trying to swing some deals in. But looking across a number of these FFPC leagues, and as usual, I am seeing tons of teams that don't look like they have much if any of a good plan for how to get to 16. The time crunch pressure is about to start forcing some hands here in the next few weeks before the deadline. I think for the most part I am in "waiting for deals to come to me" mode. I think prices on players will drop.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2021 at 2:36 PM, menobrown said:

 

Not sure about your example rock but based on the one barack used that is NOT what I was talking about. I was talking about when a player would be your obvious best or second best at a position, an obvious starter.

I think there is a big difference between I have no use for player X and I have no interest in player X.  The first one I can understand as annoying as players do have a use.  However, the second phrase is completely valid no matter how good the player is that you are being offered.  There are some players I have no interest in owning even if they are perceived to be better than the players I would have left after the trade.  I don't see an issue with being told another owner has no interest in a particular player.  In fact, I think it is a valuable piece of information for future trade negotiations.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Gally said:

I think there is a big difference between I have no use for player X and I have no interest in player X.  The first one I can understand as annoying as players do have a use.  However, the second phrase is completely valid no matter how good the player is that you are being offered.  There are some players I have no interest in owning even if they are perceived to be better than the players I would have left after the trade.  I don't see an issue with being told another owner has no interest in a particular player.  In fact, I think it is a valuable piece of information for future trade negotiations.

I agree.  Though I don't understand why people get hung up on the rejection reason wording as if they said your momma isn't pretty.  Just assume "Player X sucks" or equivalent means that there's no interest at his current price.  There's always players at various tiers that I'll never have on my team.  But that's not necessarily because of stubborness.  I don't like Miles Sanders at his assumed price, and would probably respond with "I don't like", "no interest", or "he's a bum", but if someone offers him to me for a late 2nd, I'd accept in a heartbeat.  Point being, fellow leaguemate, stop offering me Miles Sanders because our perceived value of him differs significantly.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Earlier in this thread I had convo with Barack on ideal off-season roster construction.

In a standard FFPC league mine would be 1 QB, 3 TE's, 5/5 or 6/4 with respect to RB/WR.

I won't have a single team that actually fits that criteria.

As I started looking at roster of some of my teams I'm starting to think some outside the box type roster construction that no one would consider ideal.  Part of my thought process is sort of similar to BPA or need when we are doing rookie drafts, it's usually not the best strategy to go for need. So I'm starting to think why should my off-season roster construction be any different? Why would I focus on positions instead of top 14? Most of the time, it kind of works out this way anyway but I got a team or two it does not and I'm thinking of saying screw it  and just roll with top 14. Do others think this is crazy or this what you always do anyway?

Here are two concrete examples and both really involve Jalen Hurts. Eagles could draft a QB and Hurts time could be short. But I can't get over the guy averaged 30 PPG a game in his full 3 starts and we are all so caught up in him being a good runner it's kind of easy to forget he went over 300 yards passing 2 of those 3 games. I believe his upside is that of a top 5 QB. But he's my QB3 on teams and dealing one has not been easy.  So in my head I've just assumed no way I keep 3 QB's in a one start QB league with 14 skill position keepers. But if he's what I think he will be, would it not make more sense to hold him over some fringe 14th guy? That I'd have a much easier time moving one of my 3 QB's in-season and I'd not just be releasing a player that another team will get cheap in rookie draft, possibly filling a hole in a competitor's lineup.

So I got one league that if today you made me do cuts I'd keep 3 QB's, 3 RB's, 3 TE's and 5 WR's.  How odd is that?  The RB is the obvious light position and under this approach I would be basically be cutting someone like Penny or Cohen as my RB4 in favor of carrying Jalen Hurts as my QB3.

Tell me how I'm wrong.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...