What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Michael Pittman won't give up #11 to Wentz (1 Viewer)

A high functioning organization would have negotiated with Pittman offline. 

As things stand, Pittman's position undermines the stature of a QB who already has questions about his ability to lead.

Now if this was Randy Moss or some proven WR1 it would be one thing, but Pittman is one step removed from being a nobody.

As things stand, Pittman's position undermines the stature of a QB who already has questions about his ability to lead.

Now if this was Randy Moss or some proven WR1 it would be one thing, but Pittman is one step removed from being a nobody.
It is Pittman's number, so he has earned it.  I think it would be worse to make a player give up a number to the QB.  Wentz has no right to the number unless Pittman wants to give it to him.  Like I said, make Wentz pay for it, or keep it.  Wentz can choose another number.

Besides, #11 is a crappy number anyway.  Perhaps Wentz should be looking to shake things up with a new number with a new team.

Last edited by a moderator:
It just showed a lack of alpha dog on Chris Godwin's part when he gave up #12 to Tom Brady. You knew he was in for a second fiddle season when he did that.

:sarcasm:

Oh, does he have a ring now?

Kind of a harsher reading headline than the way the conversation went...

"Yeah, so I spoke to [Carson] and he was just seeing how locked in I was to No. 11, and I told him I was locked in -- and he was like, 'That's cool, bro, because I'm probably gonna switch anyway,'" Pittman told TMZ Sports. "... He asked me very respectfully, and I just appreciated him for that. I think he's a great dude, because lots of guys with his status, they would come in and demand and stuff like that."

It is not like #11 has historic value of a HOF type career for Wentz.   Has Wentz just taken 10 or 12 hardly anyone would have noticed.   Wentz needs a fresh start with a new number.   But somehow I think a 50-100K check cut to Pittman would get #11 back if he wants it bad enough.  

It is not like #11 has historic value of a HOF type career for Wentz.  
#11 has not historic value for Pittman either, he just picked that number last year. It has no significant meaning to him other then that was his jersey number his rookie season.

This is a nothingburger of a story and I'm not  lowering PIttman's value, that would be laughable, but this does show a little immaturity to me. Other then placating your new QB, Wentz would have paid him something. Just thought it was a bit of a odd bow up by Pittman.

#11 has not historic value for Pittman either, he just picked that number last year. It has not significant meaning to him other then that was his jersey number his rookie season.

This is a nothingburger of a story and I'm lowering PIttman's value, that would be laughable, but this does show a little immaturity to me. Other then placating your new QB, Wentz would have paid him something. Just thought it was a bit of a odd bow up by Pittman.
50-50 Wentz will be wearing 11 when season starts.  That is if he wants it.

If you put a gun to my head 2 weeks ago, I am not sure I would have come up with that Wentz was #11 in Philly.

Way too much is made about numbers.  Wentz is not Tom Brady or an iconic NFL star.  Pick a different number and play.

especially considering:

Pittman wore No. 6 in college at USC, then started his Colts career with No. 86 before settling on No. 11.

It is irrelevant what Pittman wore in college.  He chose #11 with the Colts (eventually), so that is all that matters.  If he isn't willing to give it up to the damn QB why does it matter?
If Wentz wants it, let's see how much he will pay for it.  Wentz makes considerably more than Pittman, so he should be willing to throw some schillings Pittman's way for #11.

I couldn't care less....but.....obviously Wentz wanted it or he wouldn't have asked.....if Pittman gave it to him, he would be wearing it....and not "probably going to switch anyway"......Wentz doesn't have enough street cred built up and what he did have just took a little bit of a hit...he kind of got "put in his place" so to speak in a small way.....its a small meaningless thing on the outside, but sometimes little things like this bug guys in their dome and it kinda sends a message.....not sure what that message is exactly, but the optics feel a little awkward....

I could care less....but.....obviously Wentz wanted it or he wouldn't have asked.....if Pittman gave it to him, he would be wearing it....and not "probably going to switch anyway"......Wentz doesn't have enough street cred built up and what he did have just took a little bit of a hit...he kind of got "put in his place" so to speak in a small way.....its a small meaningless thing on the outside, but sometimes little things like this bug guys in their dome and it kinda sends a message.....not sure what that message is exactly, but the optics feel a little awkward....
So you could care less?  People always get that one wrong.  It's couldn't care less.

Pittman will change his tune around week 4 or 5 when he is 8th in targets on his own team, and Wentz isn't even looking his direction.
Alternatively he could be #1 in targets when Wentz is benched for being terrible. I'm just sayin - I am also making the assumption that Wentz is fixable, but that's not a guarantee. 

It’s an awkward start to Wentz’s tenure. It suggests the player(s) don’t respect him 
Nah - c'mon. There is a tested and true tradition of players selling jersey numbers to incoming players. What would be disrespectful is for Wentz to come in at 25M a year & try to bully or bigtime a WR making 1M for a jersey number without compensating them. 

This has happened dozens of times on dozens of teams and with players WAY BETTER THAN SCRUB BUM Carson Wentz. 

Stop makin a mountain out of a molehill. This is a common occurrence and a bored sports news media trolling everyone like it's a big deal. It's not. Don't take that bait. 

DallasDMac said:
Grown men arguing over a number on a shirt in general accomplishes this.
Counterpoint: supply & demand economics.  Pittman has it, Wentz wants it. What could be more mature than a simple business transaction to settle the matter? Not like Wentz went to Pittman's house and punched him in the face in front of his wife & kids. :shrug:

Hot Sauce Guy said:
Nah - c'mon. There is a tested and true tradition of players selling jersey numbers to incoming players. What would be disrespectful is for Wentz to come in at 25M a year & try to bully or bigtime a WR making 1M for a jersey number without compensating them. 

This has happened dozens of times on dozens of teams and with players WAY BETTER THAN SCRUB BUM Carson Wentz. 

Stop makin a mountain out of a molehill. This is a common occurrence and a bored sports news media trolling everyone like it's a big deal. It's not. Don't take that bait. 
When Peyton went to Denver, they literally unretired a number to make him more comfortable. 

When Peyton went to Denver, they literally unretired a number to make him more comfortable. 
Peyton >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Wentz

And un-retiring a number is vastly different than taking a number right off the back of a current player. 

Wentz is a 1/2 season’s bad TD:INT ratio from the CFL.

Peyton was a HOF lock by then, and these two circumstances are not remotely the same.

c’mon

Peyton >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Wentz

And un-retiring a number is vastly different than taking a number right off the back of a current player. 

Wentz is a 1/2 season’s bad TD:INT ratio from the CFL.

Peyton was a HOF lock by then, and these two circumstances are not remotely the same.

c’mon

Okay? A more relaxed mindset sees Pittman is in a unique situation. He can either: A: give it up and have Wentz like him immediately. B: make him pay, and he likes Pittman less. C : Pittman can hold the asset forever, and Wentz likes him the least. Jersey numbers usually go for what, $10,000? That's peanuts to start a relationship off on the wrong foot, with the guy who your fate is intertwined with. Pittman has decided he's gonna take the B or C approach.

Okay? A more relaxed mindset sees Pittman is in a unique situation. He can either: A: give it up and have Wentz like him immediately. B: make him pay, and he likes Pittman less. C : Pittman can hold the asset forever, and Wentz likes him the least. Jersey numbers usually go for what, $10,000? That's peanuts to start a relationship off on the wrong foot, with the guy who your fate is intertwined with. Pittman has decided he's gonna take the B or C approach.
Seems like you're assuming an awful lot about what Carson Wentz will like or dislike about Pittman regarding this jersey number. 

Wentz might lose respect for Pittman if he sucks up to him with a free hand-off of the jersey number. Yes, that's complete speculation - just like literally every scenario in your post. 

And to your point that $10K is "peanuts", then Wentz should immediately offer it since he's the one who makes $25M a year compared to Pittman's $1M a year.

IMO you're way off the mark here. Pittman has the # now. Wentz wants it. Pittman is the guy who's already part of the team. Wentz is the maybe too broken to fix QB acquired for a couple second rounders in a "hope we can fix him!" situation.

As such, the onus is not on Pittman, but on Wentz to put forth an offer to acquire the number.  

Wentz will probably make him an offer Pittman can't refuse. To borrow from the Godfather!
IMO that is the appropriate move. I was kidding about the 1M above, but $10-30K wouldn't be outrageous. Maybe make him take the whole WR corps to dinner too or something. Dude's making 25M. He can afford it. 

Me thinks this is more about the sports card market.  If Pittman makes it big it would look bad if his rookie card had a different number.

Users who are viewing this thread