What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Michael Pittman won't give up #11 to Wentz (1 Viewer)

mcd said:
Pittman will change his tune around week 4 or 5 when he is 8th in targets on his own team, and Wentz isn't even looking his direction.
I mean that's happening anyway, Wentz doesn't throw to WR's much. Has ever had a 1000 yard WR? 

I mean that's happening anyway, Wentz doesn't throw to WR's much. Has ever had a 1000 yard WR? 
Kind of a chicken & the egg thing there...Nelson Agholor probably dropped 1000 yards worth of passes from Wentz.

It’s not like Wentz has had a bevy of über talented receivers to throw to in Philly. 

Seems like you're assuming an awful lot about what Carson Wentz will like or dislike about Pittman regarding this jersey number. 

Wentz might lose respect for Pittman if he sucks up to him with a free hand-off of the jersey number. Yes, that's complete speculation - just like literally every scenario in your post. 

And to your point that $10K is "peanuts", then Wentz should immediately offer it since he's the one who makes $25M a year compared to Pittman's $1M a year.

IMO you're way off the mark here. Pittman has the # now. Wentz wants it. Pittman is the guy who's already part of the team. Wentz is the maybe too broken to fix QB acquired for a couple second rounders in a "hope we can fix him!" situation.

As such, the onus is not on Pittman, but on Wentz to put forth an offer to acquire the number.  
Yep Pittman has every right to clutch the number and force Wentz to pay out the nose. But will it help Pittman get more balls? Of course not. In theory it shouldn't matter, but it does (Aaron Rodgers says hi). As a Pittman owner, I hate that he didn't volunteer to give the number. I've downgraded him by about 100 yards this year. Pittman probably puts up 900 instead of 1000. We will never know the difference between him volunteering to give it up and digging in his heels over it, but we can all agree Pittman won't be putting up better numbers by (rightfully or wrongfully) pissing off Wentz

Yep Pittman has every right to clutch the number and force Wentz to pay out the nose. But will it help Pittman get more balls? Of course not.
You have no idea if this is true. 100% speculation on your behalf. 

And in your very last post you described a $10K amount as "peanuts" - you literally just said that. Now it's not peanuts but "forcing" Wentz to "pay out the nose"? 

So which is it, out the nose or peanuts? 

In theory it shouldn't matter, but it does (Aaron Rodgers says hi).
When Rodgers has sucked so badly that he's played himself off of his team's roster & gets dealt for a 2nd and a conditional 3rd to a team where a WR is already wearing #12, let me know so we can compare apples to apples. 

As a Pittman owner, I hate that he didn't volunteer to give the number. I've downgraded him by about 100 yards this year. Pittman probably puts up 900 instead of 1000. We will never know the difference between him volunteering to give it up and digging in his heels over it, but we can all agree Pittman won't be putting up better numbers by (rightfully or wrongfully) pissing off Wentz
All based on nothing except for your quite vivid imagination over a non-news story in a slow NFL news week over a nothingburger that happens in the NFL allllllll the time. 

The customary and courteous thing to do would be for Wentz to make a fair offer to purchase the number. That is the beginning, middle and ending of this story, and it is in fact all we actually know. And we don't really even know that. Because we're all speculating wildly. 

What happens 99% of the time is the incoming player buys the number from the current player & it becomes a very small blurb at the bottom of whatever beat writer's daily column and literally no one cares in the slightest. 

You're making a mountain out of the tiniest of molehills here. 

Last edited by a moderator:
You have no idea if this is true. 100% speculation on your behalf. 

And in your very last post you described a $10K amount as "peanuts" - you literally just said that. Now it's not peanuts but "forcing" Wentz to "pay out the nose"? 

So which is it, out the nose or peanuts? 

When Rodgers has sucked so badly that he's played himself off of his team's roster & gets dealt for a 2nd and a conditional 3rd to a team where a WR is already wearing #12, let me know so we can compare apples to apples. 

All based on nothing except for your quite vivid imagination over a non-news story in a slow NFL news week over a nothingburger that happens in the NFL allllllll the time. 

The customary and courteous thing to do would be for Wentz to make a fair offer to purchase the number. That is the beginning, middle and ending of this story, and it is in fact all we actually know. And we don't really even know that. Because we're all speculating wildly. 

What happens 99% of the time is the incoming player buys the number from the current player & it becomes a very small blurb at the bottom of whatever beat writer's daily column and literally no one cares in the slightest. 

You're making a mountain out of the tiniest of molehills here. 
Oh wow I've really worked you into a frenzy. At the end of the day, we both agree that PIttman has every right to piss off his quarterback. Beyond that, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Counterpoint: supply & demand economics.  Pittman has it, Wentz wants it. What could be more mature than a simple business transaction to settle the matter? Not like Wentz went to Pittman's house and punched him in the face in front of his wife & kids. :shrug:
I'm trying my best to come up with any way talking about a jersey number compares to physically assaulting someone but am failing. It's apples to, I dunno, elephants?

I'm trying my best to come up with any way talking about a jersey number compares to physically assaulting someone but am failing. It's apples to, I dunno, elephants?
This is an old running joke from a decade ago. I think it was Fantasy Football Today forums, where FF disputes were often recommended as best solved in this manner. It was a joke - sorry it was an inside one. I do not now, now would I ever advocate punching anyone in the face, much less in front of their wives and chil'rens. :)  

Oh wow I've really worked you into a frenzy. At the end of the day, we both agree that PIttman has every right to piss off his quarterback. Beyond that, we'll have to agree to disagree.
I'm not remotely in a "frenzy". I'm not even perturbed, perplexed or troubled. I'm actually pretty ambivalent, if I had to describe my emotional state, but you seem to enjoy projecting emotions....first onto Wentz, and now me. The fact is that you contradicted yourself, and you're making wild speculations on how players "feel". It's ridiculous and I've pointed it out. 

That's not a frenzy. 

Now please explain how Wentz is both "paying out the nose" or "peanuts"? Still waiting for that explanation, thanks. 

I'm not remotely in a "frenzy". I'm not even perturbed, perplexed or troubled. I'm actually pretty ambivalent, if I had to describe my emotional state, but you seem to enjoy projecting emotions....first onto Wentz, and now me. The fact is that you contradicted yourself, and you're making wild speculations on how players "feel". It's ridiculous and I've pointed it out. 

That's not a frenzy. 

Now please explain how Wentz is both "paying out the nose" or "peanuts"? Still waiting for that explanation, thanks. 
The bolded is a straw man argument. The situation we have (possibly media driven) is that we have drama with a WR and the man who gets him the ball. The WR has every right to take money off his QB or hold firm and not give his QB what he wants. From a fantasy perspective, I think this situation is either neutral or negative for Pittman’s upcoming seasons. You seem to think Pittman squabbling with his QB is a good thing, because Pittman has the right to do so. Am I missing something?

Meh, Pittman is under no obligation to give up his number just because Wentz is a QB. I probably would if I were in his shoes, but that’s because I couldn’t care less what number would be on the back of my jersey, but I understand others do. And it’s not like we’re talking about Peyton or Tom coming into town, here. 

The bolded is a straw man argument.
Wut

I took several logic classes in college. The bolded is literally not a "straw man" argument (fallacy), 

The bolded is me calling out your contradiction. In one post you claimed that "$10K was peanuts, so Pittman should just give Wentz the number". In another post you claimed that Wentz would be "paying out the nose" for the number. 

That's not a straw man by any definition of the fallacy. It was you talking out of both sides of your face. 

The situation we have (possibly media driven) is that we have drama with a WR and the man who gets him the ball. The WR has every right to take money off his QB or hold firm and not give his QB what he wants. From a fantasy perspective, I think this situation is either neutral or negative for Pittman’s upcoming seasons. You seem to think Pittman squabbling with his QB is a good thing, because Pittman has the right to do so. Am I missing something?
I never said anything remotely like that. I don't even see a "squabble". 

I said very clearly that this is a normal thing that happens often in the NFL, and explained how it is usually handled. 

You're the one projecting a squabble, hurt feels, or a QB who's going to "make Pittman 8th in targets" as a result of wanting to be compensated for his jersey number, so clearly you do not see this as "neutral" as you've been projecting negative feels onto Wentz in every prior post. 

What you're "missing" is continuity in your reasoning. Have a nice day. 

Wut

I took several logic classes in college. The bolded is literally not a "straw man" argument (fallacy), 

The bolded is me calling out your contradiction. In one post you claimed that "$10K was peanuts, so Pittman should just give Wentz the number". In another post you claimed that Wentz would be "paying out the nose" for the number. 

That's not a straw man by any definition of the fallacy. It was you talking out of both sides of your face. 

I never said anything remotely like that. I don't even see a "squabble". 

I said very clearly that this is a normal thing that happens often in the NFL, and explained how it is usually handled. 

You're the one projecting a squabble, hurt feels, or a QB who's going to "make Pittman 8th in targets" as a result of wanting to be compensated for his jersey number, so clearly you do not see this as "neutral" as you've been projecting negative feels onto Wentz in every prior post. 

What you're "missing" is continuity in your reasoning. Have a nice day. 

When was the last time a QB switched teams and a WR held that number and didn't just give it up? This isn't the same as a RB buying a number off a DB. This seems to be new territory. 

I've bolded this, because I didn't say that. If I said something you didn't say, you'd be crying again. Have a nice day.

When was the last time a QB switched teams and a WR held that number and didn't just give it up? This isn't the same as a RB buying a number off a DB. This seems to be new territory. 

I've bolded this, because I didn't say that. If I said something you didn't say, you'd be crying again. Have a nice day.
I'm not "crying" so you can stop projecting / insulting people any time. It's really getting old. 

And you're right - that was someone else who said he'd be 8th in targets. My bad.

You did say his QB would not like him,(like him less, like him least, etc) among other things about Wentz's state of mind that suggested his personal relationship with Pittman would be harmed & Pittman's play would suffer as a direct result. All of which are speculation on your behalf, and sound bizarre since this is a normal thing that happens. 

It is the exact same thing as anyone buying anyone else's number. The incoming player generally purchases the number from the existing player. It's not a big deal. At all. There are never hard feels, and if a QB making 25M has to peel off $10K to a player making 1M, especially so. That Wentz is a QB is 100% irrelevant to that.

As I keep saying, this is a nothing story for a slow news day. I'm moderately annoyed I've been forced to address it this much. 

Your projection seem like a defense mechanism to mask the fact that you contradicted yourself about the $ (peanuts vs paying out the nose) and still won't own up to that. So I will continue to ask - which is it? Is Wentz paying out the nose or is $10K peanuts? It's apparently peanuts to a player making $1M but paying out the nose to the guy making $25M?  Seems backwards, which is why I'd like some clarification. 

sounds like he was asked how locked in he was to the number and Pittman said he was locked in......not sure the window was even open for the possibility of paying for it....we didn't hear Pittman or Wentz offer that up as an option.....it was basically "no bruh, I'm good"....end of discussion...

really only seems like a story cause we hear about these things sometimes but there is usually some street cred on one side or the other...and then maybe some money exchanged....but there isn't really enough street cred on either side here....and Pittman wants to keep it.....Wentz doesn't even make the call if he gets traded to ATL type of thing....it does have a little of that "putting him in his place" vibe.....which feels a little awkward, but really not much else to see here....

sounds like he was asked how locked in he was to the number and Pittman said he was locked in......not sure the window was even open for the possibility of paying for it....we didn't hear Pittman or Wentz offer that up as an option.....it was basically "no bruh, I'm good"....end of discussion...

really only seems like a story cause we hear about these things sometimes but there is usually some street cred on one side or the other...and then maybe some money exchanged....but there isn't really enough street cred on either side here....and Pittman wants to keep it.....Wentz doesn't even make the call if he gets traded to ATL type of thing....it does have a little of that "putting him in his place" vibe.....which feels a little awkward, but really not much else to see here....
Nailed it. 

Brady went to TB, Godwin handed it over for free (and still didn't get that many targets, lolz)

Brady >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Wentz

This is an old running joke from a decade ago. I think it was Fantasy Football Today forums, where FF disputes were often recommended as best solved in this manner. It was a joke - sorry it was an inside one. I do not now, now would I ever advocate punching anyone in the face, much less in front of their wives and chil'rens. :)  
Now I feel like (more of an) an outsider.  :kicksrock:

Now I feel like (more of an) an outsider.  :kicksrock:
There were many variations - some involved also kicking the family dog, or having carnal relations with the spouse, both of which I personally frowned upon. 

Mind you, this was only for the worst of FF offenses, like stiffing a commish in league fees or getting caught cheating/colluding. 

Wondering if Wentz will offer him 50 to 100K for the jersey, or if no amount of money will get it.  I find that funny seeing both of their reaction.  Or no reaction, which takes the amusement away.
Wentz ain’t earned ***t yet. I say make him pay.  

There were many variations - some involved also kicking the family dog, or having carnal relations with the spouse, both of which I personally frowned upon. 

Mind you, this was only for the worst of FF offenses, like stiffing a commish in league fees or getting caught cheating/colluding. 
Well, I guess that's better than carnal relations with the family dog and kicking the spouse....

Personally, if I were in Wentz' shoes I'd go full Kamara, call myself a fullback, and find a number in the 40s before I ever put on a #11 jersey again. I'm not superstitious, but if I'm making a clean break, it's gonna be soup-to-nuts.
That occurred to me too - why would he want to stick with the number he’s been terrible in. Good call. Burn that #11 jersey then bury the ashes like coaches do with bad playbooks. 

Carson should probably switch anyways and not let this drag on.

I can't wait for the first press conference when reporters pepper him with questions about a jersey number.  He's going to think he never left Philly.

You guys are both very wrong.
How is that?  So, you like that number?  I rank it up there with #8 and in general is a bad luck number.  I guess Steve Young and Phil Simms would argue however.  I think the NFL should make WRs wear numbers in the 80s like the good ole' days and undo all retired numbers.

... then bury the ashes like coaches do with bad playbooks. 
For some strange reason, the very first thing that popped into my head when I read this phrase was Chip Kelly, sitting in the cab of a backhoe in his backyard, clearing space for those gigantic picture postcards he used to hold up on the Eagles' sideline.  :lmao:

Hot Sauce Guy said:
That occurred to me too - why would he want to stick with the number he’s been terrible in. Good call. Burn that #11 jersey then bury the ashes like coaches do with bad playbooks. 
I don't know, I think incinerating Pittman might not endear him to the rest of the team.

JohnnyU said:
How is that?  So, you like that number?  I rank it up there with #8 and in general is a bad luck number.  I guess Steve Young and Phil Simms would argue however.  I think the NFL should make WRs wear numbers in the 80s like the good ole' days and undo all retired numbers.
Aikman won three Super Bowls with #8, so not the worst Jersey# ever for a QB, unlike #11.

I don't know, I think incinerating Pittman might not endear him to the rest of the team.
I meant the Wentz jersey, though this would make for an awesome development in the story. 

1st day of practice, Wentz burns Pittman Jersey to assert dominance over his new team. Buries it on the 50. :lol:  

JohnnyU said:
Yes 11 is my favorite number. 

Users who are viewing this thread