What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cherokee Nation asks Jeep to stop using its name. (1 Viewer)

NorvilleBarnes

Footballguy
The principal chief of the Cherokee Nation has asked Jeep to stop using the tribe's name on its SUVs. The Jeep Grand Cherokee is the brand's best-selling model. Jeep has sold SUVs under the Cherokee brand name for about 45 years.

"I think we're in a day and age in this country where it's time for both corporations and team sports to retire the use of Native American names, images and mascots from their products, team jerseys and sports in general. I'm sure this comes from a place that is well-intended, but it does not honor us by having our name plastered on the side of a car," Chuck Hoskin, Jr., principal chief of the Cherokee Nation said in a written statement.

He had initially sent the statement to Car and Driver, which first reported on the news.

LINK

The principal chief of the Cherokee Nation has asked Jeep to stop using the tribe's name on its SUVs. The Jeep Grand Cherokee is the brand's best-selling model. Jeep has sold SUVs under the Cherokee brand name for about 45 years.

"I think we're in a day and age in this country where it's time for both corporations and team sports to retire the use of Native American names, images and mascots from their products, team jerseys and sports in general. I'm sure this comes from a place that is well-intended, but it does not honor us by having our name plastered on the side of a car," Chuck Hoskin, Jr., principal chief of the Cherokee Nation said in a written statement.

He had initially sent the statement to Car and Driver, which first reported on the news.

LINK
I knew about this last week when I was on a Zoom with buyers from Stellantis.    The whole story was initiated by Car and Driver.  The Cherokee Nation did not reach out to anyone.  Car and Driver reached out to them out of the blue and asked Tribe leader Chuck Hoskin if he felt the Jeep name was offensive to the tribe as they wanted a story.  What better story in todays news cycle than this?  Then the Detroit Free Press caught wind of the story and got it out in front of Car and Driver.   

Right now they are taking a wait and see attitude to see where it will go. 

eventually it feels like dang near everything will be censored and banned because its offensive to someone, somewhere

the real question becomes who's feelings are more trampled on - the people complaining or the people being complained towards ?

Last edited by a moderator:
eventually it feels like dang near everything will be censored and banned because its offensive to someone, somewhere

the real question becomes who's feelings are more trampled on - the people complaining or the people being complained towards ?
I'd probably lean towards the ones whose ancestors had their land essentially stolen/taken by force and some of their women and children were sexually trafficked. 

But hey, I get it - it's super cool to drive a SUV with "Cherokee" written on it!

I'd probably lean towards the ones whose ancestors had their land essentially stolen/taken by force and some of their women and children were sexually trafficked. 

But hey, I get it - it's super cool to drive a SUV with "Cherokee" written on it!
They should change it because if you ask anyone under 50 what a Cherokee is most will say a Jeep. Hardly anyone relates the Jeep Cherokee to an Indian Tribe.

Just change it by next model year and move on. Or maybe keep the name, work together and donate $$$$$ to a tribe that has been decimanted by COVID and many other issues. One way or the other it will be resolved.

I wish the CNN reporter had asked "why now?"
Ignoring this specific issue and its merits, the "why now?" question could be asked about any change.  Slavery, women's rights, civil rights, gay marriage.  If it's wrong (and again, I'm not weighing in either way on this), "why now?" is an irrelevant question. 

Just because it's been around all this time without issue doesn't make it right.  That's the whole point of change. 

I knew about this last week when I was on a Zoom with buyers from Stellantis.    The whole story was initiated by Car and Driver.  The Cherokee Nation did not reach out to anyone.  Car and Driver reached out to them out of the blue and asked Tribe leader Chuck Hoskin if he felt the Jeep name was offensive to the tribe as they wanted a story.  What better story in todays news cycle than this?  Then the Detroit Free Press caught wind of the story and got it out in front of Car and Driver.   

Interesting. The part about the letter being sent to Car and Driver (and not to Jeep) seemed really odd to me.

Do you think Car And Driver fabricated the part where the Chief said "it's time for corporations to retire the use of Native American names"?

I'm not questioning whether the story was instigated by C&D or not.....but the Chief's quote is real, right?

Do you think Car And Driver fabricated the part where the Chief said "it's time for corporations to retire the use of Native American names"?

I'm not questioning whether the story was instigated by C&D or not.....but the Chief's quote is real, right?
Yes.    So it will change eventually.   Probably will take a couple of years depending on the coverage and the time it takes to rebrand.    

squistion said:
Well, that one person was the principal chief of the Cherokee Nation...that carries a lot more weight than some Native American chosen at random. 
What about when Trump was president of the United States? Did what he said carry more weight with you than some American chosen at random ?

Zow said:

That's every group in history.   

squistion said:
Well, that one person was the principal chief of the Cherokee Nation...that carries a lot more weight than some Native American chosen at random. 
I'm aware who it is.  But thanks.

I have Cherokee ancestry (among other things), I think they should change it. What’s really the point of naming a vehicle after a Native tribe?

Da Guru said:
Yes.    So it will change eventually.   Probably will take a couple of years depending on the coverage and the time it takes to rebrand.    
I don't know why I know this, but if the Cherokee has a good insurance rating, they might carry both names (Cherokee + new name?) for a year or two to maintain that rating.

I have Cherokee ancestry (among other things), I think they should change it. What’s really the point of naming a vehicle after a Native tribe?
I have Cherokee ancestry too(among other things) and I couldn't care less about the name.  I have much more important things to worry about.  

Like the alcoholism pandemic that is destroying Indian communities and families.  THAT seems to be something my Chief could focus on more than what a car has on its side.

And please spare me the "cant he do two things at once?" question.  The answer of course is yes but up until yesterday I have never heard anything from the Cherokee chief, ever.  So I don't know if that's his fault or the media's but this seems to be such a silly thing to NOW be known for,  Whatever.

Like the Dakota?   

The point, I imagine to show toughness, courage or a fighting spirit. Fun fact: Pontiac was a Native American war chief.

In any event, I could see how if one is Cherokee that they could find it demeaning.

squistion said:
What about when Trump was president of the United States? Did what he said carry more weight with you than some American chosen at random ?
Of course what the president said carried more weight than a random person. Where are you going with this?

NorvilleBarnes said:
Of course. It's a valid an relevant question. Was this a log standing grievance? Did something recently occur that sparked the interest? Just to clarify: my (minor) criticism is of the interviewer, not the Cherokee leader.
Thank you for clarifying. I shouldn't have assumed poor intent with that question. My apologies.

Our school district is named after 4 different indian tribes  -- wondering when they will change

I don't know why I know this, but if the Cherokee has a good insurance rating, they might carry both names (Cherokee + new name?) for a year or two to maintain that rating.
Who knows when or if it will even change.  Again it depends on the coverage.   Grand Cherokee is not in the same league as Redskins.

I am something like 1/64 Cherokee.  The name offends me because Chrysler vehicles are pieces of garbage. 
Not really.  Ever since Daimler and then Fiat has been involveded the whole platform of the Jeep has changed over and they are very nice.  My wife drives a 2020 Grand Cherokee and it is very nice vehicle. There is a large demand for the Jeep Cherokee globally now as awell.

Not really.  Ever since Daimler and then Fiat has been involveded the whole platform of the Jeep has changed over and they are very nice.  My wife drives a 2020 Grand Cherokke and it is very nice vehicle. There is a large demand for the Jeep Cherokee globally now as awell.
I have a 2013 Wrangler in my driveway that needs a new engine at 92,000 miles.   It's a piece of trash.   

Come to think of it, Jeep has some pretty American names, doesn't it? As for the Cherokee controversy, it's not like it's a mascot of a sports franchise, which one can instantly find demeaning. It's the name of a car. Should the volk get offended because there's a car named the "Civic"? Should those with agreements and treaties get mad about a car named the "Accord"? At some point, the renaming of things gets a bit ridiculous. But it's not something I feel too strongly about. Just...meh.

I have Cherokee ancestry too(among other things) and I couldn't care less about the name.  I have much more important things to worry about.  

Like the alcoholism pandemic that is destroying Indian communities and families.  THAT seems to be something my Chief could focus on more than what a car has on its side.

And please spare me the "cant he do two things at once?" question.  The answer of course is yes but up until yesterday I have never heard anything from the Cherokee chief, ever.  So I don't know if that's his fault or the media's but this seems to be such a silly thing to NOW be known for,  Whatever.
Here is a story from last week with Cherokee leader talking about helping the elders through the winder storms

https://www.npr.org/sections/live-updates-winter-storms-2021/2021/02/17/968870037/as-oklahoma-endures-winter-storm-cherokee-nation-scrambles-to-help-elders

I consider myself pretty anti woke/cancel but I think best to change all these names.

I mean it’s kinda way after the fact but you can’t conquer a people and then expect to integrate in the remaining ones if you treat their heritage like some sort of marketing gimmick

What help is it doing?
They are well within their right to use the name.  It’s not copyrighted.  Obviously their marketing people determined the name evoked positive images (freedom, nature! that they wanted associated with their brand.  Can you answer my question now?

Come to think of it, Jeep has some pretty American names, doesn't it? As for the Cherokee controversy, it's not like it's a mascot of a sports franchise, which one can instantly find demeaning. It's the name of a car. Should the volk get offended because there's a car named the "Civic"? Should those with agreements and treaties get mad about a car named the "Accord"? At some point, the renaming of things gets a bit ridiculous. But it's not something I feel too strongly about. Just...meh.
I just don't see it as that complicated. If an immutable group of people - especially one with a relatively fresh/recent history of being discriminated against (e.g. slavery, were conquered, etc.) - asks that its name not be used then change it. If the group doesn't request it, then use away at your own discretion. I think this especially applies when 1) the name user isn't a member of or otherwise associated with the group; and 2) and identifiable head/leader of the group is clear. 

I have a buddy who vehemently disagrees with this "PC culture" and the "wussification of America" that he says this falls under. His primary argument is that his "group" (he's very Irish) was discriminated against but he doesn't complain about the use of "Fighting Irish" so other groups shouldn't complain either. 

I genuinely just don't think it's that hard to not appropriate an immutable group's name if they ask you not to or to stop. Just seems like the human thing to do. 

Users who are viewing this thread