What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cherokee Nation asks Jeep to stop using its name. (1 Viewer)

I love that the solution for some of you is: "Jeep should give them money to make this right."

Almost as if that could be the entire reason this suddenly became an issue on a 50-year old brand. Good grief, you guys.

I love that the solution for some of you is: "Jeep should give them money to make this right."

Almost as if that could be the entire reason this suddenly became an issue on a 50-year old brand. Good grief, you guys.
I really never related the Jeep Cherokee having anything to do with a Tribe. They really don`t have any type of logo that would indicate that.   If they can help the Indians who really need it and work together for more awareness then why not?  The sad thing is other than the Redskins that had to go with all the other Indian names vanishing so will any rememberance of the tribes themselves.  

Just like stadiums named after whatever for tons of $$$$  Use it to to your advantage to help your people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which reservation did you drive through? 
I can’t remember. It was on the way from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon.  They were living in what looked like the forts I used to make in my back yard as a kid.  One of those images I’ll never forget.  Makes me sad just thinking about it.

From W: "The Cherokee Nation has more than 300,000 tribal members, making it the largest of the 567 federally recognized tribes in the United States."

Had no idea the number was that high.

I don't think anybody said it was a should. I think several of us suggested it would be a good business decision. 

I can’t remember. It was on the way from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon.  They were living in what looked like the forts I used to make in my back yard as a kid.  One of those images I’ll never forget.  Makes me sad just thinking about it.
Interesting. Trying to think what reservation you would have gone through. Maybe the one north of Williams almost to the Grand Canyon. 

Honestly the worst I've seen is the one just east of Scottsdale or out in Peach Springs. 

Interesting. Trying to think what reservation you would have gone through. Maybe the one north of Williams almost to the Grand Canyon. 

Honestly the worst I've seen is the one just east of Scottsdale or out in Peach Springs. 
It’s so beautiful out there.  I fell in love with the place.  I also felt great in the higher altitude.  Not sure why but it was very noticeable.  Thinking of retiring out there someday.

I've been to Pine Ridge and Rosebud several times.  They're just sad.  I don't have anything to compare them to, but it's kind of like having a trailer park plopped down at random in the middle of nowhere.  And when I say "middle of nowhere," I mean that by the standards of the Dakotas.  It's hard to fully describe just how remote these places are.

These two reservations are also pretty massive, like the size of small states.  The tribal college on Pine Ridge has something like a dozen different branches located across and near the reservation, which is kind of amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s so beautiful out there.  I fell in love with the place.  I also felt great in the higher altitude.  Not sure why but it was very noticeable.  Thinking of retiring out there someday.
I live in Flagstaff so if you need any insight into the area hit me up. 

I've been to Pine Ridge and Rosebud several times.  They're just sad.  I don't have anything to compare them to, but it's kind of like having a trailer park plopped down at random in the middle of nowhere.  And when I say "middle of nowhere," I mean that by the standards of the Dakotas.  It's hard to fully describe just how remote these places are.

These two reservations are also pretty massive, like the size of small states.  The tribal college on Pine Ridge has something like a dozen different branches located across and near the reservation, which is kind of amazing.
Yeah it's similar to AZ. There's a lot of remote stretches of land here and it's amazing how remote the reservations actually are. 

I don't think anybody said it was a should. I think several of us suggested it would be a good business decision. 
Drawing a line between "saying they should" and "suggesting" it as a strategy is a very lawyerly thing to do. Kudos.

The Indians do not have to stay on a reservation.  I worked with a couple of guys at UPS years ago who left a reservation when they were 18 to get away from the lifestyle. 

Both are in their mid 30s now are doing very well, both graduated from college with plenty of finacial aid. One guys goes back and tries to get more young people to get off and start a life away but it is difficult because of family pressure.

Summer Wheat said:
The Indians do not have to stay on a reservation.  I worked with a couple of guys at UPS years ago who left a reservation when they were 18 to get away from the lifestyle. 

Both are in their mid 30s now are doing very well, both graduated from college with plenty of finacial aid. One guys goes back and tries to get more young people to get off and start a life away but it is difficult because of family pressure.
Did I inadvertently suggest that they must stay in reservations?

NorvilleBarnes said:
The principal chief of the Cherokee Nation has asked Jeep to stop using the tribe's name on its SUVs. The Jeep Grand Cherokee is the brand's best-selling model. Jeep has sold SUVs under the Cherokee brand name for about 45 years.

"I think we're in a day and age in this country where it's time for both corporations and team sports to retire the use of Native American names, images and mascots from their products, team jerseys and sports in general. I'm sure this comes from a place that is well-intended, but it does not honor us by having our name plastered on the side of a car," Chuck Hoskin, Jr., principal chief of the Cherokee Nation said in a written statement.

He had initially sent the statement to Car and Driver, which first reported on the news.

LINK
Just to be clear, is this the tribe or all time Duke great Cherokee Parks? 

Zow said:

I've done the 160/89 drive too many times to count; through the Navajo Nation. Such a gorgeous piece of Earth. Used to get higher than a giraffe's balls for those drives and reconciling the barren, jaw-dropping landscape with the poor, sparsely populated civilization inhabiting the area could be quite the mind ####.

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
Washington Post chimes in

“Remedying the harms of the past will require more than simply changing a name or a logo, but it is a first step toward ensuring that racial stereotypes are retired to the annals of history,” 

Users who are viewing this thread