What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Debit Cards - Does Anyone Still Use One? (1 Viewer)

Mister CIA

Footballguy
Offshoot from the wallet thread. 

I still carry around my debit card in my wallet, but the only place I use it is at the gas pump - and for no good reason do I use it there, except for the fact I suppose I like to punch in my PIN or zip code. Pure habit.

Long ago I cut bait on checks and in these covid times I eschew cash too.  All my remaining transactions are autopays or my Amazon rewards card (for which I zero out the balance in OCD-like fashion every week or so).

Note to self: fix my Venmo account.  Used it once to pay $20 office league FF fees three years ago, but somehow they doinked the email address associated with my cell number and now I have to jump through some hoops.  I digress.

Everywhere I go: 

License / Concealed Carry Permit

Debit Card (cash withdrawal only)

Chase Sapphire Reserve 

Costco Visa (membership + backup credit + gas pump)

Health Insurance Card 

I use it for those businesses that are cash or debit only due to the higher fees they have to pay credit card companies for using their services.   

I use it for those businesses that are cash or debit only due to the higher fees they have to pay credit card companies for using their services.   
Interesting - the massage place I go to shook their head the last time I tried to use a visa.  Gave me their PayPal link.  So either trying to avoid fees or hide revenue.

My bank requires me to make 10 debit transactions a month, so I use my debit card for random Dollar Store purchases and such. Otherwise I use whichever credit card pays the most cashback per category.

Pre-Covid i used debit card pretty much everywhere I made transactions in person except for gas (Costco for cash back). Groceries, fast food, misc. Credit cards for online transactions.

Since Covid debit is rarely used. Credit cards for online transactions at Target and Walmart for groceries and supplies with curbside pickup. Amazon card for usual Amazon items as before plus Amazon grocery delivery. Kohls card for clothing orders.

I've noticed our spending has gone up significantly the last few months with all the online ordering. Using debit for weekly supplies led to a built in budget. Take home minus bills and savings = biweekly budget basically. Can still do that with credit cards but adds some complexity with timing of payments etc. I kind of miss the old way.

It's pretty widespread to have them outside of the US as the US is one of the only countries that is heavily reliant on credit cards. Additionally, nice to have a "no fees, true FX rate" one on hand for international travel.

Don't recall the last time I made a debit card purchase. Same for cash, other than buying chips for poker.

I have two debit cards, haven't used either except an ATM.

Why would anyone use a debit card when you get cash back or miles, better protection, and can simply pay off the credit card once a month?  (If you have international fees with CC and not debit, that makes sense)

I have a wallet with a few cards including the debit card and cash, but most of the time I'll simply take my phone with a card holder on the back. Only 3 things I need are one CC, my license and military ID (which doubles as my insurance card)

Last edited by a moderator:
Never. We switched to a Costco cash back credit card a couple of years ago, put everything on that and pay it off every month. And then once a year (just got it actually) we get a nice check from Costco.

Basically getting free money every year.

I carry and use it mainly at places that don't take my main Visa card (Sam's Club).  Rarely carry cash, but use it to get cash when needed.  Try to put as much as possible on a rewards credit card.

Never. We switched to a Costco cash back credit card a couple of years ago, put everything on that and pay it off every month. And then once a year (just got it actually) we get a nice check from Costco.

Basically getting free money every year.
Just cashed mine last night.  Now I have $200 in cash in my money clip that will be there for the rest of the year.   

I still carry around my debit card in my wallet, but the only place I use it is at the gas pump - and for no good reason do I use it there, except for the fact I suppose I like to punch in my PIN or zip code. Pure habit.
I always carry my debit card, but never use it unless it's an emergency: either I need to withdraw cash (I only carry a single $20 bill in my phone case, plus driver's license, credit card, debit card) or as backup if my everyday rewards credit card doesn't work for some reason, gets lost, etc.

BTW, as a fraud prevention expert working in financial services over 20 years, I can tell you that using your debit card at gas pumps is the LAST place you want to use/swipe it. Because pumps are still exempt from chip reader/EMV mandates they are the #1 place fraudsters insert skimmers. Fish in a barrel because 100% of the non-touchless transactions can be skimmed and outdoor pumps are easy to access for inserting the skimmer and returning to download the skimmed info. And once they counterfeit your card they are draining your actual bank account of money, unlike a credit card where it's the bank's money. That means things like your mortgage could bounce, checks you wrote bounce, and up to 10 business days before your bank will (temporarily) replace your money while it investigates. 

Use my debit card to pull cash out of an ATM but never use it for a purchase.  You are basically giving away free money by using it and not using a CC that offers cash back/reward points.

The post office only takes debit cards.  I semi-regularly need to mail stuff out from my home office, so I use a debit card there that I keep in my car.   Other than that, I don't even use one at an ATM because I can use my phone for ATM transactions.   

90% of my purchases. 
I can't remember the last time I used my debit card ...except for getting cash out of the ATM.  

I budget a certain amount of money for food/gas/household items - and get that cash out of the ATM every two weeks.  I keep within that amount.  For me, it's easier to track and stay within that budget.  I also keep some cash in the house for emergencies (not terribly comfortable with that but it is locked up).  

Larger purchases, regular bills, etc. are paid with a credit card for the points.  If we choose to splurge on an expensive dinner - I'll use it then as well.  

I'm old.  

The post office only takes debit cards.  I semi-regularly need to mail stuff out from my home office, so I use a debit card there that I keep in my car.   Other than that, I don't even use one at an ATM because I can use my phone for ATM transactions.   
Must be a regional thing b/c I've used it at mine

I carry my license and one credit card only. Never encountered an insurmountable problem with this strategy, closing in on 50.
I carry these same two items in my phone case, it's all I ever have with me - no wallet, no cash.

I do "pay with my debit card" a fair amount but it's through Google Pay on my phone.

I can't remember the last time I used my debit card ...except for getting cash out of the ATM.  

I budget a certain amount of money for food/gas/household items - and get that cash out of the ATM every two weeks.  I keep within that amount.  For me, it's easier to track and stay within that budget.  I also keep some cash in the house for emergencies (not terribly comfortable with that but it is locked up).  

Larger purchases, regular bills, etc. are paid with a credit card for the points.  If we choose to splurge on an expensive dinner - I'll use it then as well.  

I'm old.  
I find it much easier to track and budget using a credit card that I pay off every month.  The account shows exactly where I spend money and how much.  It does the tracking for me.  Plus I get free money for just using it. 

Wells Fargo.  If I want to use the ATM I can have the app send a one-time code to my phone, and then I just key the code into the ATM.
Yep. Same here. I have not used my debit card in years. In fact it's been locked for sometime because some running magazine tried to renew a subscription and the card blocked it as a scam. I have yet to turn it back on. There is a single store, Winco, that only uses debit or cash to pay, and I normally just go in with cash.

Side note, Wells Fargo ATMs always give you your most common transaction as a first choice on the ATM and forever it was Cash Withdrawal for the amount I would get to go to the strip club. Just this year, it has flipped to my most common transition as deposit. Thanks Covid.

No, I pay with one of my rewards credit cards for everything. Pay off in full at each month and enjoy the rewards. 

I don't go back to place that don't take cards. 99% of the time if I need cash it is to buy a lotto ticket. 

Just cashed mine last night.  Now I have $200 in cash in my money clip that will be there for the rest of the year.   
I always get the check. I just bought a new washer and dryer with mine that comes next week, but I had them write me a check, deposited it and put the washer and dryer on the credit card again so I get points for it. If you use your cash back to pay for stuff you don’t get the points.

Shopped the hell out of Costco during the pandemic and also put everything (my wife and I also traveled a bunch for work until shutdown) on it. Got back over $2k.

Users who are viewing this thread