What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Debit Cards - Does Anyone Still Use One? (1 Viewer)

I always get the check. I just bought a new washer and dryer with mine that comes next week, but I had them write me a check, deposited it and put the washer and dryer on the credit card again so I get points for it. If you use your cash back to pay for stuff you don’t get the points.

Shopped the hell out of Costco during the pandemic and also put everything (my wife and I also traveled a bunch for work until shutdown) on it. Got back over $2k.
My entire bathroom I just remodeled went on that card. Sweet, sweet cash back this year.

Just for cash.  You want to use a CC otherwise.  If you get hacked or skimmed on a CC, its their money they are stealing.  It's a PITA to get your money back on a debit card.

I can't remember the last time I used my debit card ...except for getting cash out of the ATM.  

I budget a certain amount of money for food/gas/household items - and get that cash out of the ATM every two weeks.  I keep within that amount.  For me, it's easier to track and stay within that budget.  I also keep some cash in the house for emergencies (not terribly comfortable with that but it is locked up).  

Larger purchases, regular bills, etc. are paid with a credit card for the points.  If we choose to splurge on an expensive dinner - I'll use it then as well.  

I'm old.  
To each their own, but I find paying cash for gas to be a pain in the 🐴

I'll gladly take my 6% back on groceries and 5% on gas.

FBG26 said:
Just guessing, but I think he's doubting you can get 6% back on groceries and 5% back on gas. Which card(s) are you using to get those kinds of rewards? Is that a Costco card or something?
American Express blue for groceries (it does have a $95 annual fee but that's worth it to us)

USAA American Express for gas. But I've heard others have the same benefit. 

A decent place to start if you're actually interested: Nerd wallet

Last edited by a moderator:
FBG26 said:
Just guessing, but I think he's doubting you can get 6% back on groceries and 5% back on gas. Which card(s) are you using to get those kinds of rewards? Is that a Costco card or something?
American Express blue for groceries (it does have a $95 annual fee but that's worth it to us)

USAA American Express for gas. But I've heard others have the same benefit. 

A decent place to start if you're actually interested: Nerd wallet
Nice. We do most of our shopping (grocery and otherwise) at Target and I get 5% off virtually everything using my Target Redcard, but this might be really useful for others.

We've only put maybe 4k miles between both cars since the start of the pandemic, but not a bad idea to look for a good card for gas purchases if I ever start driving again.

Only time I use my debit card is to take out cash.  Otherwise always a credit card for 2% cash back.  Or if buying groceries my AMEX that gives 6% back at grocery stores.

-OZ- said:
To each their own, but I find paying cash for gas to be a pain in the 🐴

I'll gladly take my 6% back on groceries and 5% on gas.
Who is giving 6% on groceries and 5% on gas?

why use a debit card when you rack up points? 

Pre covid I traveled a ton and used 1 card for airline, 1 for hotel and 1 for most else. 

Now the airline one the kid has for emergencies while off at college - ok I guess food when he was hungover probably is not the emergency I had in mind, but he doesnt abuse it so ....

and the other two I use for bill pay/grocery/gas/ sams club etc

I carry the debit card but rarely use it unless i am getting cash  and honestly with cash. I almost never spend it. I have the same $5 in my fancy going out pants.. i mean my jeans for at least two weeks

I get 4% on our Costco card for gas. 

The AMEX for the grocery is compelling though. Do you know if they consider Meijer to be grocery or do they classify it something else? That is where we do most of our grocery shopping at. If they do then I just might add the card to my mix. 

I get 4% on our Costco card for gas. 

The AMEX for the grocery is compelling though. Do you know if they consider Meijer to be grocery or do they classify it something else? That is where we do most of our grocery shopping at. If they do then I just might add the card to my mix. 
That's the drawback. I'm not sure about Meijers, but Walmart, Target etc don't get the 6%. Aldi's does, that's over half of our groceries. We just charge Walmart to our 2.5% cash back (another USAA).

That's the drawback. I'm not sure about Meijers, but Walmart, Target etc don't get the 6%. Aldi's does, that's over half of our groceries. We just charge Walmart to our 2.5% cash back (another USAA).
Yea.... that was my concern. Meijer is basically like Walmart and Target. My $100 or so a month from Aldi and $100 every few months of Trader Joes (You MUST try to the Jalapeno Sauce, 75% of that $100 is getting a bunch of those bottles) ain't gonna do it. 

USAA is no go for me but I wouldn't pick up another card for an extra 1% on gas all else being equal..... specially now. I went like 6 months on one tank of gas in my Acadia last year. lol (obviously rona but still I don't drive much now)

Yea.... that was my concern. Meijer is basically like Walmart and Target. My $100 or so a month from Aldi and $100 every few months of Trader Joes (You MUST try to the Jalapeno Sauce, 75% of that $100 is getting a bunch of those bottles) ain't gonna do it. 

USAA is no go for me but I wouldn't pick up another card for an extra 1% on gas all else being equal..... specially now. I went like 6 months on one tank of gas in my Acadia last year. lol (obviously rona but still I don't drive much now)
Understood. 

Really though, all I'm saying is that I don't see any reason to use debit cards when CCs are accepted. Maybe if you got a decent discount.

Understood. 

Really though, all I'm saying is that I don't see any reason to use debit cards when CCs are accepted. Maybe if you got a decent discount.
I don't even carry a debit card. Pointless. I don't carry cash. Pointless. Rewards CC's all day, every day, every time. 

Users who are viewing this thread