Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

CPAC Conference

From Fox this morning.  Only 55% of CPAC - which is trump base - want trump to run again.  They like the policies but they recognize trump as a flawed face of the gop.

that was from Marc thiessen (sp) who is true red

Just now, The Dude said:

From Fox this morning.  Only 55% of CPAC - which is trump base - want trump to run again.  They like the policies but they recognize trump as a flawed face of the gop.

Plus I don’t see how it gets better as time passes and others emerge.

13 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Those numbers really surprise me. CPAC attendees in Florida, of all places, you're gonna get the true believers. 

I don't think he even wants it. I think he likes the legal protection, but maybe that's it. 

2 hours ago, knowledge dropper said:

I clicked on NPR. It was from months ago and not related to yesterday’s speech which Tim insinuated was racist.  

That link was about his attacks at the voting in certain cities...a thing that was again brought up in his speech.  So yeah, it was pretty relevant link given the topic Tim was broaching.

2 hours ago, knowledge dropper said:

I scan a lot of articles from news feeds.  I will look at the source. Normally, I would click on a Reuters, AP, Fox, USA Today, WSJ or BBC.  I would not even trust CNN, MSNBC, WaPo, or NYT for reporting on a natural disaster or breaking news. I would have to verify. They fall well below TMZ in my matrix

Local news sites and newspaper I lean on heavily for information

Sports. I only trust ESPN site for box scores. I use various fantasy sites for news.  Barstool is great.  Outkick is up and coming.  

Regarding politics Breitbart has become my morning paper.  I drill down on subjects from there to get more unfiltered political information with other sources of enlightenment.  Breitbart is excellent, I highly recommend.  

So do you think Andrew Cuomo is innocent? 

13 hours ago, timschochet said:

Right. Or you can just listen to the speech. Every proposal was about limiting voting in Detroit, Philadelphia, Atlanta, and his concern about supposed illegal immigrant voting and asking for proof of citizenship is a means of harassing Latinos. 

And from the NPR Link

While Biden won Black voters overwhelmingly across the country, they were key to his victories in Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and Georgia — places where President Trump and his allies have been targeting ballots in cities with large Black populations in an attempt to overturn the president's defeat and retain power.

2 minutes ago, knowledge dropper said:

This is false and you all should know better

No...my statement was not false.  Its clear right there in the actual words Tim stated and in the article.

2 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

And from the NPR Link

No...my statement was not false.  Its clear right there in the actual words Tim stated and in the article.

The NPR article is from 11/24/20.  The speech was made yesterday.  Please stop with your false narratives and pushing a misleading agenda.  TIA

3 minutes ago, knowledge dropper said:

The NPR article is from 11/24/20.  The speech was made yesterday.  Please stop with your false narratives and pushing a misleading agenda.  TIA

Please go back and read what I actually stated...what Tim actually stated...and what was being discussed.

My narrative is not false...I told you the relevance of the article and with what Tim was saying.  Its not a misleading agenda.  Its the continuing narrative that Trump has pushed...he pushed it in the fall, and he was again pushing it yesterday.

That was the point.

13 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

Please go back and read what I actually stated...what Tim actually stated...and what was being discussed.

My narrative is not false...I told you the relevance of the article and with what Tim was saying.  Its not a misleading agenda.  Its the continuing narrative that Trump has pushed...he pushed it in the fall, and he was again pushing it yesterday.

That was the point.

13 hours ago, timschochet said:

If you listened carefully to Trump, he doesn’t want a more secure election. He wants a more white and less black and brown election. 

I asked for a quote that he wanted less brown and black votes.  Neither of you could provide such.  Just peddling your Trump is racist junk.  He wants SECURE and LEGAL elections with fair counts that can be reviewed and audited.  Many do not have confidence in our current process. I guess tighter controls scare some people, so they falsely yell racist.  

Carry on. 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

55% against the field is still a huge number 

1 hour ago, massraider said:

Those numbers really surprise me. CPAC attendees in Florida, of all places, you're gonna get the true believers. 

I don't think he even wants it. I think he likes the legal protection, but maybe that's it. 

It is also why the governor of Florida drew an outsized number. 

3 minutes ago, knowledge dropper said:

I asked for a quote that he wanted less brown and black votes.  Neither of you could provide such.  Just peddling your Trump is racist junk.  He wants SECURE and LEGAL elections with fair counts that can be reviewed and audited.  Many do not have confidence in our current process. I guess tighter controls scare some people, so they falsely yell racist.  

Carry on. 

He isn't going to come out and say that in a quote KD and you know this.  That is a disingenuous thing to ask for...Tim is not claiming he said it in black and white like that.  He goes on to expand that its about those cities (as I quoted).  And the running theme is that it wasn't something new from Trump.  Its exactly what he did in attacks after the election (which was the point of the links given).  That is all crystal clear following the conversation.

He can claim he wants secure and legal elections...but his actions and words say otherwise as he attacked a secure and legal election because it didn't go his way.  And attacked it to the point of what we saw on January 6th happened.  The election was reviewed and audited and the results certified at every level.  Many do not have confidence...its a who's who of biased Trump supporters who still believe the lies he has been spreading.  The controls are already tight...its already secure.

The claims of racial issues are not false...they are clear in the areas that consistently get attacked by Trump.  Inner cities and minority areas.  And its a pattern within the party as well given the restrictions that the GOP has tried in regards to voting laws that end up looking way more like voter suppression in minority areas.  

• Laughing 1

5 minutes ago, knowledge dropper said:

Carry on. 

He wants the election done in a day, when it was Republican state legislatures voting against allowing the preparation of mail in ballots until the day of the election. He wants it done in a day but wants all these hoops to jump through that would surely take more time. Mail in ballots weren’t fraudulent this time around; feel free to point me somewhere if this fact is wrong, but I haven’t seen any evidence of this. So it seems to me that we would spend a lot of time and money on something that is only an issue because the Republican Party doesn’t want to tell Donald trump he’s wrong. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bigbottom said:
16 hours ago, Roy L Fewks said:

He's got the 2024 nomination wrapped up if he wants it. Whether he can win will largely be based on what happens to the economy in the next 4 years, IMO.

Do you think that applies if he’s under indictment (but not yet convicted)?

I think this would make his nomination more likely rather than less, given the current victimhood complex espoused by the base.

Interesting to see the Fox News site this morning.  Top story is Cuomo.

Second set of stories is CPAC.  Top 5 takeaways from CPAC is the first item here; no mention of stolen election.  Next item is Trump calling out Biden over the border crisis.  Finally, we have Trump calling out Cheney and McConnell.

I scrolled well down and couldn't find anything about the stolen election claims.  Fox News won't even mention it, as they know full well the claims are false.

13 hours ago, lazyike said:

Yes, first time since Herbert Hoover any President’s term saw their party experience  the loss of the House, the White House and the Senate in just 4 years. The over used phrase “ definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result” is in play here. 

For the most part, down ballot Republicans outperformed Trump. I think for a lot of the smarter national level guys they realize that Trump is more of a hindrance than help. But a lot of voters haven’t realized that and plenty of politicians who haven’t realized that either.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, knowledge dropper said:

Carry on. 

As a Trump supporter I don’t expect you to acknowledge the truth about Trump’s message. But the Republican Party will continue to lose national elections, and by greater and greater margins, until they abandon this ill fated attempt to preserve the dominance of white people in our society. 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

3 minutes ago, timschochet said:

As a Trump supporter I don’t expect you to acknowledge the truth about Trump’s message. But the Republican Party will continue to lose national elections, and by greater and greater margins, until they abandon this ill fated attempt to preserve the dominance of white people in our society. 

I refuse to acknowledging the false spin and misrepresentation of Trump’s message in order to create a more divisive country. 

1 hour ago, Rich Conway said:

Interesting to see the Fox News site this morning.  Top story is Cuomo.

Second set of stories is CPAC.  Top 5 takeaways from CPAC is the first item here; no mention of stolen election.  Next item is Trump calling out Biden over the border crisis.  Finally, we have Trump calling out Cheney and McConnell.

I scrolled well down and couldn't find anything about the stolen election claims.  Fox News won't even mention it, as they know full well the claims are false.

It’s always interesting going on the homepages of these cable news sites and seeing how they rank the stories by importance.

Lying about the election results is dangerous. It's odd when people say they agree or don't agree with the election results. Sorry you don't get to have an opinion on that. People's outsized belief that their own opinion is somehow relevant is at least half the problem anyway.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GroveDiesel said:

For the most part, down ballot Republicans outperformed Trump. I think for a lot of the smarter national level guys they realize that Trump is more of a hindrance than help. But a lot of voters haven’t realized that and plenty of politicians who haven’t realized that either.

10 years ago I would acknowledged I thought that the gerrymandering issue was a bit overplayed by Democrats but today I see it as an important factor. In addition there are some things that Trump has done that for example labor unions that Democrats need to consider.

6 minutes ago, Kal El said:
7 minutes ago, Drunken Cowboy said:

Not even close

I had a feeling, but wasn’t sure, thanks to you and Guido.

CPAC straw poll winners by year:

2005: Rudy Giuliani
2006: George Allen
2007: Mitt Romney
2008: Mitt Romney
2009: Mitt Romney
2010: Ron Paul
2011: Ron Paul
2012: Mitt Romney
2013: Rand Paul
2014: Rand Paul
2015: Rand Paul
2016: Ted Cruz

• Laughing 1

13 minutes ago, Sea Duck said:

So much winning

21 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

He's going to build the wall, lock up Hillary, repeal and replace Obamacare all on his first day back in office in '24, and Mexico will pay for all of it.

How do people still believe this?

Edited by AAABatteries

17 hours ago, bigbottom said:

I’m expecting to hear that she’s special needs or that she saved someone and is a hero, and then I’ll feel incredibly bad. Or maybe she’s just related to one of the organizers. 

Suggesting that she may be special needs because you didn’t care for her performance is really poor form imo

1 hour ago, Sea Duck said:

I'd say that was a list of real winners,  but then I'd be wrong.

34 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

Suggesting that she may be special needs because you didn’t care for her performance is really poor form imo

I know nothing about her and am not suggesting she’s special needs. I was speculating that she may have been selected for a reason other than her voice, for example she is special needs or perhaps because she performed some heroic act by saving someone’s life. Both would be reasons for which I would feel bad about criticizing her singing. She also may have been selected because she is related to one of the organizers. I wouldn’t feel bad about that. One thing I’m pretty certain of though is that she wasn’t chosen because she is amazing at performing the national anthem. That’s why I’m expecting to hear some other reason that she was chosen. Maybe she won a lottery contest or they just picked a random person out of the crowd. 

p.s. I’m guessing you didn’t need the above explanation, but just in case. 

Edited by bigbottom
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, bigbottom said:
30 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

I know nothing about her and am not suggesting she’s special needs. I was speculating that she may have been selected for a reason other than her voice, for example she is special needs or perhaps because she performed some heroic act by saving someone’s life. Both would be reasons for which I would feel bad about criticizing her singing. She also may have been selected because she is related to one of the organizers. I wouldn’t feel bad about that. One thing I’m pretty certain of though is that she wasn’t chosen because she is amazing at performing the national anthem. That’s why I’m expecting to hear some other reason that she was chosen. Maybe she won a lottery contest. 

She has a YouTube channel which seems to be moderately popular with young people. (It contains a mixture of song covers and political thoughts.) That's all it takes to be plucked from relative obscurity and thrust into the spotlight these days (see also: Young Pharaoh).

11 minutes ago, Sea Duck said:

She has a YouTube channel which seems to be moderately popular with young people. (It contains a mixture of song covers and political thoughts.) That's all it takes to be plucked from relative obscurity and thrust into the spotlight these days (see also: Young Pharaoh).

So she’s an actual singer?  A trained singer typically would be self-aware enough to know whether or not it is possible to pull off the Star Spangled Banner.

Edit:  I just rewatched a clip of the entire thing. She’s okay through the first verse. But when it gets to the high part, I think she realizes she started in the wrong key and has no shot of hitting the high notes, so she modulates awkwardly to a lower key. Unfortunately, the adjustment derails her and she is all over the place for the balance of the song. I do give her credit for sticking with it and committing to finishing the song with gusto. 

Edited by bigbottom

4 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

So she’s an actual singer?  A trained singer typically would be self-aware enough to know whether or not it is possible to pull off the Star Spangled Banner.

I imagine if Elizabeth Holmes tried to belt out the Star Spangled Banner it would sound a lot like this did. 

2 hours ago, Sea Duck said:

Do you have their numbers?

6 minutes ago, bigbottom said:
9 minutes ago, Sea Duck said:

She does not appear to be a "trained" singer. Just a teenage girl who likes to sing songs and upload them, not unlike millions of other girls.

This situation is exactly why it's often a bad idea to thrust amateurs into the spotlight. It's really not fair to that girl to expose her to the type of criticism that she's been getting.

• Like 1