2013: Rand Paul
2014: Rand Paul
2015: Rand Paul
2016: Ted Cruz

Expand  

Do you have their numbers?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservative_Political_Action_Conference

CPAC straw poll winners by year:

2005: Rudy Giuliani 19% (Condi Rice: 18%)
2006: George Allen 22% (John McCain: 20%)
2007: Mitt Romney 21% (Rudy Giuliani: 17%)
2008: Mitt Romney 35% (John McCain: 34%)
2009: Mitt Romney 20% (Bobby Jindal: 14%)
2010: Ron Paul 31% (Mitt Romney: 22%)
2011: Ron Paul 30% (Mitt Romney: 23%)
2012: Mitt Romney 38% (Rick Santorum: 31%)
2013: Rand Paul 25% (Marco Rubio: 23%)
2014: Rand Paul 31% (Ted Cruz: 11%)
2015: Rand Paul 26% (Scott Walker: 21%)
2016: Ted Cruz 40% (Marco Rubio: 30%; Trump finished 3rd with 15%)

Also notable: in 1992, the winner was Pat Buchanan (foreshadowing HW Bush's loss).

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sea Duck said:

She does not appear to be a "trained" singer. Just a teenage girl who likes to sing songs and upload them, not unlike millions of other girls.

This situation is exactly why it's often a bad idea to thrust amateurs into the spotlight. It's really not fair to that girl to expose her to the type of criticism that she's been getting.

Well, she’s apparently in college and posts herself singing on YouTube (with a fair amount of self-congratulation) so it’s not like she was an unwilling participant. But yeah, people should exercise a bit more discretion when choosing someone to sing the National Anthem given the high degree of difficulty. That said, after getting curious and watching a few of her videos, I’ll say that she has an amazing vibrato. One of the better ones I’ve heard. But she has major trouble staying on pitch. 

P.S.  I’ve performed the National Anthem publicly at events before, both as a teen and as an adult. And if I had #### the bed, I’d expect to get criticized/ridiculed. As a singer, that is the deal you make when you decide to take that tune on. Still, I guess people have been doing remixes and memes and stuff. I agree that’s overboard and mean. 

Edited by bigbottom
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Kal El said:

I feel it’s important to note that the keynote speaker at a major political conference was once the recipient of a wrestling finishing move on TV.

Yeah, we know. We saw him put it on Hillary Clinton in 2016.  So not only was he recipient he was also a giver.

Edited by BladeRunner

I was at a Knicks game like  25 years ago where the singer totally forgot the words and stopped in the middle.  She was Jamaican or something and had just learned the song like the day before.

ETA: couldn’t find it on YouTube but there are a bunch of other examples there.

Edited by fatguyinalittlecoat

5 minutes ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

I was at a Knicks game like  25 years ago where the singer totally forgot the words and stopped in the middle.  She was Jamaican or something and had just learned the song like the day before.

Yep, many a singer has been defeated by the good ole Star Spangled Banner. 

Edited by bigbottom

7 minutes ago, massraider said:

Nothing but sympathy for that girl. 

Also have sympathy for the person at CPAC charged with finding talent. They cannot be easy. 

It should have been super easy. Plenty of great singers would have lined up for that opportunity. But a word to the wise - when you are organizing an event such as this, you can’t delegate the task of finding a singer for the national anthem to just anyone. It needs to be someone who knows what they are doing. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

Maurice Cheeks comes to mind.  Only good thing he ever did as a coach was bail out a girl who forgot the words and froze. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bigbottom said:

I know nothing about her and am not suggesting she’s special needs. I was speculating that she may have been selected for a reason other than her voice, for example she is special needs or perhaps because she performed some heroic act by saving someone’s life. Both would be reasons for which I would feel bad about criticizing her singing. She also may have been selected because she is related to one of the organizers. I wouldn’t feel bad about that. One thing I’m pretty certain of though is that she wasn’t chosen because she is amazing at performing the national anthem. That’s why I’m expecting to hear some other reason that she was chosen. Maybe she won a lottery contest or they just picked a random person out of the crowd. 

p.s. I’m guessing you didn’t need the above explanation, but just in case. 

Ya , I was mostly jerking your chain after you swooped in to rescue Tim yesterday.

But I’m guessing you knew that already 

Cheers 🍻

3 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

Ya , I was mostly jerking your chain after you swooped in to rescue Tim yesterday.

But I’m guessing you knew that already 

Cheers 🍻

Consider my chain jerked!

🥃

57 minutes ago, Sea Duck said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservative_Political_Action_Conference

CPAC straw poll winners by year:

2005: Rudy Giuliani 19% (Condi Rice: 18%)
2006: George Allen 22% (John McCain: 20%)
2007: Mitt Romney 21% (Rudy Giuliani: 17%)
2008: Mitt Romney 35% (John McCain: 34%)
2009: Mitt Romney 20% (Bobby Jindal: 14%)
2010: Ron Paul 31% (Mitt Romney: 22%)
2011: Ron Paul 30% (Mitt Romney: 23%)
2012: Mitt Romney 38% (Rick Santorum: 31%)
2013: Rand Paul 25% (Marco Rubio: 23%)
2014: Rand Paul 31% (Ted Cruz: 11%)
2015: Rand Paul 26% (Scott Walker: 21%)
2016: Ted Cruz 40% (Marco Rubio: 30%; Trump finished 3rd with 15%)

Also notable: in 1992, the winner was Pat Buchanan (foreshadowing HW Bush's loss).

The winners are actually a bit higher than I expected, but still nobody near 50%

46 minutes ago, BladeRunner said:

Yeah, we know. We saw him put it on Hillary Clinton in 2016.  So not only was he recipient he was also a giver.

I’ve seen him walk, I don’t think he can get his leg that high to actually start it.

• Like 1