What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***** ALL-TIME NBA/ABA DRAFT ***** (Scoobus is Champion!) (3 Viewers)

I stole him in the 2nd round of that draft (but we ignored ABA in that one).
yeah, careerism is always what pisses me off in alltime sportsdrafts (or HOFs). guys who had 2-3 year peaks (whether due to injury or not) lightyears ahead of mediocrities who get picked ahead of em cuz they stuck around forever. George Foster Syndrome, i call it.

Last edited by a moderator:
1.14 Shaquille O'Neal, C, 90's I think

Shaq, Diesel, The Big Aristotle, Superman, Shaq Fu.  Peak Shaq is as dominant a dude on the court as I've ever seen, a true physical specimen.  As good of a player on the court as he is bad on TNT.

Shaq, Diesel, The Big Aristotle, Superman, Shaq Fu.  Peak Shaq is as dominant a dude on the court as I've ever seen, a true physical specimen.  As good of a player on the court as he is bad on TNT.
Argh, so close. 

I had him ranked #9, ahead of 5 guys who were drafted before him today.

My three were Bird, Duncan & Shaq after pick 6 was complete.  This was the debate for me when I took Duncan after Bird was taken.  

Have we sort of re-assessed his career a bit over the last 10 years? Or did the house screw up today by not taking Shaq ahead of Olajuwon?
he chose when he used it and how he used it. what he had to use was probably right there with LBJ & Wilt. beautiful feet for such a freak & on his hip was the worst place to be in the history of ball. he'd be feeding teeth to the most-imposing current-day big men if he chose to. his memory will also suffer the more spread the game gets.

ETA: if i were forming a team, i'd take Hakeem. if our children had guns to their head on the sideline by thugs who'd bet the game, Shaq Daddy.

1.09 Larry Bird - SF 1980's

Swapped draft slots to land The Hick from French Lick.  When you think of Larry Legend what comes to mind?  The steal and pass against the Pistons, his proclamation that everyone was playing for 2nd in the 3pt contest with him winning, finger aloft not even bothering to take off his warm up jacket, or one of his numerous highlight reel passes or shots?

Larry Bird was cold blooded when it mattered most on the biggest stages against other all-time players.  He put up ridiculous numbers on winning teams when defenses got away with all kinds of nonsense.  His passing skills would inject life into any offense, in any era, with any group of teammates and he's a matchup nightmare.  Plus he's the single best trash talker of all-time. #33
Bill Simmons calls this a top 5 all-time steal in All-Time NBA Drafts.

I stole [Dr.J} in the 2nd round of that draft (but we ignored ABA in that one).
To ignore the ABA seems like an odd omission for that 2010 draft.  If interested, the book 'Loose Balls' by Terry Pluto is a great read about that league.

Bill Simmons calls this a top 5 all-time steal in All-Time NBA Drafts.
Hell yeah he would. 😄 To land Larry Bird at 1.09 when Bill has him at #6 in his pantheon is just good value with the franchise players here.

Simmons blows. https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/larry-bird-and-dr-j-fought-it-out-garden-35-years-ago-today

My man should have ended Bird's career a few years earlier with a body slam through the announcer's table  :boxing: . Needed a little more Mahorn and Laimbeer magic for that
Just another reason why Larry Bird is the man.  The Celtics were defending champions and that fight with Dr. J occurred after, "Bird had torched Erving and the Sixers for 42 points in 30 minutes (Dr. J had been held to six points) when an offensive foul call on Bird led to a scuffle that saw the benches empty and the two stars throw down."  So, basically, Bird was kicking Dr. J's ### and he didn't like it.  :fro:   BTW - The Celtics also won that game 130-119. 

Just for future info, will there be a timer at some round?
Per the first post: 

"Clock will be 1 hour from 7am Pacific to 6pm Pacific (West Coast Bias), starting Monday 3/8."

So theoretically, @Kev4029 could hold us hostage until Monday, but I think we may do something if he doesn't check in by tomorrow morning.

Per the first post: 

"Clock will be 1 hour from 7am Pacific to 6pm Pacific (West Coast Bias), starting Monday 3/8."

So theoretically, @Kev4029 could hold us hostage until Monday, but I think we may do something if he doesn't check in by tomorrow morning.
Thanks. I should re-read those first few posts again lol

Per the first post: 

I sent him a PM in case an email notification might help. 

1.15 Jerry West, G, 60s

The Logo. West made 14 All-Star teams in each his 14 years, 12 All-NBA teams (10 first team) - only missing out on in his first and last seasons, and the All-Defense team every year from it's inception to his second to last season. If not for Bill Russell and the Celtics being possibly the best dynasty in modern sports, we might remember Jerry West as a top 5-6 player rather than somebody on the fringe of the top 12. 

Sorry for the delay - you all moved a lot quicker than I thought and I was out of the office for half the day.

@Yo Mama

Frostillicus said:
1.06 PG/SF/PF Lebron James, 10s

I completely get all the arguments for the players taken before Lebron, it's part of the reason I wanted no part of pick #3 when I thought he'd go second. I actually dropped to 6 with the hopes of getting Magic. Obviously I'm thrilled to get who I consider the best player of all-time. He has the versatility to play multiple positions, slot into multiple eras, and fit in with just about anybody on the court. Yay me!
I'm gonna chirp from courtside. I was shocked he didn't go second. The others all have great cases, but damn...we're talking about greatness and longevity to boot, plus playing with athletes as big, fast, and as crazily athletic as the ones today, ones that span almost two generations while LeBron still LeBrons and is still, amazingly, one of the best at it by all accounts.

The King.

Damn. I had some tiny shred of hope that he’d end up with me and I’d just lock up a decade. 
Nope, was hoping he’d be one of my two picks. Now I have to figure out what to do with my second pick. 

Just finished up a meeting, picks coming. 

I'm gonna chirp from courtside. I was shocked he didn't go second. The others all have great cases, but damn...we're talking about greatness and longevity to boot, plus playing with athletes as big, fast, and as crazily athletic as the ones today, ones that span almost two generations while LeBron still LeBrons and is still, amazingly, one of the best at it by all accounts.

The King.
I'm not necessarily surprised that he wasn't #2, although that is definitely where I would have taken him, I'm blown away he dropped to #6. The only argument I could really make not to take him ahead of Wilt and Russell is that in this format there are a lot of really good players from the 10s whereas the the 60s are very shallow. I don't think there is a real argument to make for Magic or Kareem (especially since Kareem's longevity is a bit diluted in this format). 

Damn. I had some tiny shred of hope that he’d end up with me and I’d just lock up a decade. 
I was a bit surprised to seem him still standing. I probably would have preferred to take somebody more relevant to my BB watching days, but I think there is a fairly significant gap between West and the remaining more modern guys. I was hoping Shaq or Duncan was going to fall.

Ok time for the easy pick. Yo Mama selects:

1.16 - Moses Malone - 70s C

“Chairman of the Boards”

The last of my top tier big men (1a Wilt/Kareem, 1b Shaq/Hakeem/Moses), and I need to take one here before the 100 picks between my next turn. Criminally underrated in the all-time discussions. He could fit well in either the 70s or 80s, so I’ll start with him in the earlier decade for now. 

Including ABA stats, Moses has 29,580 points (9th all time) and 17,834 rebounds (3rd all time). His career averages are excellent, but still lowered by his last number of years. In a 10 year peak from the mid 70s to mid 80s, Malone averaged 25.1 ppg, 14.2 rpg, 0.9 spg, and 1.5 bpg. 

1x Champ and Finals MVP

3x NBA MVP

8x All-NBA

12x NBA all-star, 1x ABA all-star

Led NBA in rebounding 6 times

Now for my harder decision. 

I'm not necessarily surprised that he wasn't #2, although that is definitely where I would have taken him, I'm blown away he dropped to #6. The only argument I could really make not to take him ahead of Wilt and Russell is that in this format there are a lot of really good players from the 10s whereas the the 60s are very shallow. I don't think there is a real argument to make for Magic or Kareem (especially since Kareem's longevity is a bit diluted in this format). 
Heh. I should have been clearer. Shocked is just my way of registering my affirmation for the pick at six and I really wasn't all that surprised that he fell. It's really just by way of a lack of better expression. As soon as I saw Wilt, I thought, "Yeah, definitely could see that given the rules of the draft where you're drafting decades, too." Magic, Russ, Kareem. All worthy of all-time greatness. And I'm a casual basketball fan, too. When people are really into something, they tend to make picks that surprise the casual observer. Cool draft. Wish I knew I more and could participate.

A few different ways I can go here, but I’ll go with an older player since I’m not as solid with those guys. Yo Mama selects:

2.01 - Elgin Baylor, 60s SF

The Michael Jordan of the 60s.  Such an amazing player and athlete who did things on the court no one else could. It’s a shame there isn’t more footage to highlight his greatness. 

10x All-NBA (all first team)

11x All-Star

Appeared in 8 NBA Finals

Career averages of 27.4 ppg (with no 3s), 13.5 rpg, and 4.3 apg 

@Kev4029

“Chairman of the Boards”

The last of my top tier big men (1a Wilt/Kareem, 1b Shaq/Hakeem/Moses), and I need to take one here before the 100 picks between my next turn. Criminally underrated in the all-time discussions. He could fit well in either the 70s or 80s, so I’ll start with him in the earlier decade for now. 

Including ABA stats, Moses has 29,580 points (9th all time) and 17,834 rebounds (3rd all time). His career averages are excellent, but still lowered by his last number of years. In a 10 year peak from the mid 70s to mid 80s, Malone averaged 25.1 ppg, 14.2 rpg, 0.9 spg, and 1.5 bpg. 

1x Champ and Finals MVP

3x NBA MVP

8x All-NBA

I took Moses 10th overall 10 years ago. One of the most underrated players in NBA history. He won three MVP awards around the time of Kareem, Bird and Magic.

“Chairman of the Boards”

1x Champ and Finals MVP

3x NBA MVP

8x All-NBA

Somehow hoped he would slip through to me. That was probably stupid of me. Nice pick.

2.02 Karl Malone, PF, 90s
First, Malone is a total turd of a human and I have no respect for the dude, but this is all for pretendsies. Malone was very arguably the second best player in the 90s, making First Team All-NBA for every year of the decade, plus a couple MVPS, and averaged 27.2 points, 10.7 rebounds and 3.7 assists for the decade while missing a total of three games over those 10 seasons. Probably not an all-time defender, but certainly a plus (4 All-Defense teams). He is 2nd all time in points, 3rd in rebounds, 12th in steals.

Baylor and M Malone would have both been my pick here if they weren't taken...

@scoobus

2.02 Karl Malone, PF, 90s
First, Malone is a total turd of a human and I have no respect for the dude, but this is all for pretendsies. Malone was very arguably the second best player in the 90s, making First Team All-NBA for every year of the decade, plus a couple MVPS, and averaged 27.2 points, 10.7 rebounds and 3.7 assists for the decade while missing a total of three games over those 10 seasons. Probably not an all-time defender, but certainly a plus (4 All-Defense teams). He is 2nd all time in points, 3rd in rebounds, 12th in steals.

Baylor and M Malone would have both been my pick here if they weren't taken...

@scoobus
He was one of two guys I was thinking about taking instead of Baylor, but I just couldn’t stomach it.

To ignore the ABA seems like an odd omission for that 2010 draft.  If interested, the book 'Loose Balls' by Terry Pluto is a great read about that league.

Hell yeah he would. 😄 To land Larry Bird at 1.09 when Bill has him at #6 in his pantheon is just good value with the franchise players here.

Just another reason why Larry Bird is the man.  The Celtics were defending champions and that fight with Dr. J occurred after, "Bird had torched Erving and the Sixers for 42 points in 30 minutes (Dr. J had been held to six points) when an offensive foul call on Bird led to a scuffle that saw the benches empty and the two stars throw down."  So, basically, Bird was kicking Dr. J's ### and he didn't like it.  :fro:   BTW - The Celtics also won that game 130-119. 
yeah i never watched the whole game, but heard the whole story about the altercation. Of course that was when Dr. J was at the tail end of his career and had been in the NBA for like 18 years or so i think. Cue the '83 Sixers and we see a totally different story

Anyone have a link to that old draft?
Good call asking for it. Brings a question I was wondering about to mind. 

when judging occurs are we planning on how the team would look for an entire year or are we looking at how a player was throughout that decade. I saw Derrick rose go in like the 9th or 10th round and thought that was really high for him considering he has been injured for a long time. But if we are taking him for just one year near his peak, might be worth it 

2.03 Kevin Garnett, PF, 00s I think

Trying reallllly hard not to take any 10s guys, as that's where most of my knowledge is. KG is one of, if not the, the fiercest competitors and best defensive players of all time.  Maybe one of the most underrated guys of all-time too by some, just landed in an awful situation in Minnesota for a majority of his career.  Even though I don't like the Celtics, was happy to see him win one, he deserved it.  Honestly think if him and Duncan had been put in opposite situations to start their careers you'd be seeing Garnett over Duncan in the all-time ranks, that's how close I think they were.

Users who are viewing this thread