What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***** ALL-TIME NBA/ABA DRAFT ***** (Scoobus is Champion!) (4 Viewers)

when Ma was setting this up, i wanted to insist that, unlike recent FFA drafts, judges actually read the writeups. they have lately been avoiding that so not to be biased qbout the drafter, but it makes less sense to avoid the case made for the selections. i WANT people to look at my briefs...
Since it’ll be more than one person judging each category, I figured we’d do the rankings one decade at a time (60s to 10s). That way we can give everyone a quick window to write up their teams. I’ll also copy in all the rosters each decade so people don’t have to dig through the spreadsheet. 

My first thought would be to skip him, but there will be 18 picks before it is his turn again and that may get done before he shows up.  I think an advocate would be our best step forward, at least to get us through the 2nd round and back to him again.  If he returns and wants to change his pick to someone still available, I say we allow it.

Anyway, if Steiner is willing, I vote we let him pick for Gally and get the ball rolling again.  If he doesn't mind enough to show up on day 2, he shouldn't mind us doing this.

My first thought would be to skip him, but there will be 18 picks before it is his turn again and that may get done before he shows up.  I think an advocate would be our best step forward, at least to get us through the 2nd round and back to him again.  If he returns and wants to change his pick to someone still available, I say we allow it.

Anyway, if Steiner is willing, I vote we let him pick for Gally and get the ball rolling again.  If he doesn't mind enough to show up on day 2, he shouldn't mind us doing this.
Yeah I don’t want to skip someone when we didn’t tell everyone the clock was starting (especially this early in the draft). 

Sounds reasonable. Give me a few minutes to review and I'll come up with something.

gally is like almost always on.  and these things take like 14 months to complete.  Bizarre even thinking about skipping him.
Good point.  I'm just excited about this and am being impatient.  :kicksrock:

Maybe I should actually get some work done today?

Sorry for the delay.  This is my off Friday and it was a late night of drinking last night so I was off the grid.  I will have a pick shortly although I was planning to take Curry or Durant so I have some research to do.  I will have a pick up shortly.

2.08 Charles Barkley – PF 1990’s

The Round Mound of Rebound was a one man wrecking crew on the hardwood.  He spoke his mind in an era where that wasn’t always well received, and he continues to do so today on Inside the NBA.  The charisma was undeniable and so was his game.  Barkley has always been a tour de force as he relentlessly outmaneuvered larger opponents to dominate the boards with his 6’4” frame.

Some will point to his lack of a championship ring, but he’s one of many that were knocked off during Jordan’s running with the Bulls.  What Barkley has that many other players don’t have though…he was the best player on the best basketball team in the history of basketball.  Yes, Jordan was the GOAT, but if you had no idea who the players were while watching those Dream Team games you’d feel that Charles Barkley was the very best player in the world.

“I don't know anything about Gally, but Gally's in trouble.” ~ Sir Charles

2.08 Charles Barkley – PF 1990’s

The Round Mound of Rebound was a one man wrecking crew on the hardwood.  He spoke his mind in an era where that wasn’t always well received, and he continues to do so today on Inside the NBA.  The charisma was undeniable and so was his game.  Barkley has always been a tour de force as he relentlessly outmaneuvered larger opponents to dominate the boards with his 6’4” frame.

Some will point to his lack of a championship ring, but he’s one of many that were knocked off during Jordan’s running with the Bulls.  What Barkley has that many other players don’t have though…he was the best player on the best basketball team in the history of basketball.  Yes, Jordan was the GOAT, but if you had no idea who the players were while watching those Dream Team games you’d feel that Charles Barkley was the very best player in the world.

“I don't know anything about Gally, but Gally's in trouble.” ~ Sir Charles
This was the other guy I debated and decided Pippin paired better with Duncan for my all time team...hahhaha

This was the other guy I debated and decided Pippin paired better with Duncan for my all time team...hahhaha
Definitely.  I almost felt bad for you since Chuck was the obvious next best player, but you already had a PF.  Pippen is a pretty good option here as well and pairs well with Duncan.

Definitely.  I almost felt bad for you since Chuck was the obvious next best player, but you already had a PF.  Pippen is a pretty good option here as well and pairs well with Duncan.
Fun to think that Pippen, Barkley, and Hakeem were all on the same team that got bounced in the first round.

Fun to think that Pippen, Barkley, and Hakeem were all on the same team that got bounced in the first round.
They were all in their mid-30s, it was a strike shortened season (and Pippen's first with the team) and they faced the Shaq/Kobe Lakers.

2.10 - John Havlicek, SG, 1960's maybe 70's.
Woooooowwwwwwwww.  I was debating on if I would have to take him this round or could sneak him through after the turn, but he was a primary target for me.

He was my dad's favorite player and probably the next best thing to Pippen as far as a do-eveything guy at SF.  I've only seen highlights, but the word is he had a motor that just wouldn't stop and was a nightmare for opposing defenders to chase all over the court.

8 time all-defensive player who averaged 20+ ppg and could rebound and pass.

Woooooowwwwwwwww.  I was debating on if I would have to take him this round or could sneak him through after the turn, but he was a primary target for me.

He was my dad's favorite player and probably the next best thing to Pippen as far as a do-eveything guy at SF.  I've only seen highlights, but the word is he had a motor that just wouldn't stop and was a nightmare for opposing defenders to chase all over the court.

8 time all-defensive player who averaged 20+ ppg and could rebound and pass.
Is he better known as a SF?

2.10 - John Havlicek, SG, 1960's maybe 70's.
dayum! might shoulda been gone by now (1st rd in the last one), but he got close enough for me to hope...

y'all younguns have seen modern equivalents of Baylor, West, Big O, even Wilt, but y'ain't never seen a Hondo. non-stop hustle but never a wasted action. one of my great pleasures as a sportsfan was to watch him live most winter Sunday afternoons of my youth.

Last edited by a moderator:
dayum! might shoulda been gone by now (1st rd in the last one), but he got close enough for me to hope...

y'all younguns have seen modern equivalents of Baylor, West, Big O, even Wilt, but y'ain't never seen a Hondo. non-stop hustle but never a wasted action. one of my great pleasures as a sportsfan was too watch him live most winter Sunday afternoons of my youth.
You were my primary concern.  I thought he wouldn't be on anyone else's radar yet.

@Instinctive takes:

2.09 - Dirk Nowitzki - PF 00s?

He can decide if he wants 00s or 10s. Pippin and Barkley also on the short list.
I'm 99% sure he'll be in the 00s.

I am actually really really glad that Pippen and Barkley went. My heart said Barkley was BPA, and Pippen's versatility was the next choice, but god I love Dirk (who's favorite two players, by the way, are Barkley and Pippen). With Big O and Dirk, this team will have one of if not the best offensive hubs even in this Pantheon of teams. There is a ton of room to put guys around them, and Dirk's underrated roll ability, especially back then, should not be underestimated. Back when he was dueling with big PFs and young Duncan, Dirk would pound them inside - he's one of the best defensive rebounders ever and an underrated athlete.

I think I would have regretted taking him over Barkley. I probably would have gone back and forth on Pippen forever. So I'm super glad that my three player list was dead on here.

Thanks for filling in Yo Mama - much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread