What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***** ALL-TIME NBA/ABA DRAFT ***** (Scoobus is Champion!) (5 Viewers)

Yes, Lebron will just have to make due with two elite scorers (Aldridge - 21.2ppg and Johnson - 21.7ppg) instead of one. 
Accept they will be guarded by Wade and Horford and do next to nothing while Rondo and LeBron just pass it back and forth, both afraid to shoot...while getting WORKED on the other end by Wade and Giannis dunking while Lillard rains threes.

My complete lack of 60s knowledge had me rank ilov80s higher than I should have it looks like.  I just went back and looked at the top scores of the 16s and he was one of the highest, figured that was the fairest way since I didn't really know his players.
You were right and the others were wrong. I had a feeling age/era bias would get me. I have an objective measure where I have been scoring teams based purely on certain benchmarks. So far my rankings have been pretty well aligned with how the final votes went in the different decades. That system correctly placed the top 2 teams here but it also had my team as the 3rd best. 

By the way, I didn't vote in this. The people chose my team over yours Jayrod. They finally recognized the greatness. 
I consistently, in decade and BIS, ranked @Jayrod third among the three top teams. 

And yet I agree with him. That somebody gave mine a 2 in BIS is hilarious. It's either gamesmanship by a competitor or someone with little understanding of the ins and outs of basketball.

You were right and the others were wrong. I had a feeling age/era bias would get me. I have an objective measure where I have been scoring teams based purely on certain benchmarks. So far my rankings have been pretty well aligned with how the final votes went in the different decades. That system correctly placed the top 2 teams here but it also had my team as the 3rd best. 
I believe that's where I had it also. 

I basically ended up with 5 winners at the top, then me and frosty and Gally and Jayrod, then a bunch of other teams.

By the way, I didn't vote in this. The people chose my team over yours Jayrod. They finally recognized the greatness. 

Yes, because you have some understanding of good basketball.

I really haven't had much to complain about until now, but wow....I wouldn't have liked coming in 5th, but would have understood it...this is baffling.
I had you 3rd Jayrod and Frosty 4th. Of course I know less about bb than anyone else here so there’s that

Today’s players would mop the floor with yesteryears studs. I don’t know how you avoid that when comparing teams. 

I am curious as to what those benchmarks are.  Care to share?  Is actually matching up against other teams to play in there somewhere or is it just strictly cumulative (or individual) statistical benchmarks only?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wikkid's team was EASILY the worst of the #1 teams by era.  Him winning the 80's was honestly a bit of a fluke with people basically giving him a pass for Griffith and Tisdale (neither one even so much as made an all-star game) and the 80's was the weakest era in our draft (note there are no other 80's teams even in the Best in Show).  For Pete's sake, the only guy on that team that made an all-defensive team was Ewing.  They wouldn't stop anyone and don't have the firepower to run away from anyone.
I agree with all of this.  Wikkid's 1980's team has received the single most baffling love of any squad in this entire contest. Magic is an all-timer and Ewing was great, but overall the team around them is horrible on defense, can't shoot a lick, is duplicative in roles, had a short timer, and the group has some real character concerns off the court.  It's completely bizarre.

Scoobus used his 1-2-3-4-10 picks for [his Best in Show] team.

ETA - I used 2-3-5-10-11....Doug B used 2-4-15-24-30
I missed the initial discussion of the Best in Show concept, and I didn't account for it in the drafting at all. In retrospect, my 1990s team might have done better in the voting. However, in real-life competition, I wouldn't be shocked at all to see my 2010s guys come out as champs of a 16-team tournament (might need 2010s refs, though).

Looking back, the best strategy was to (a) pick a decade or two to punt and (b) finish a decade team within the first dozen picks. Also helpful would have been evaluating each decade for the shallowest and deepest positions ... though ISTM that centers should have been priority over the first third of the draft.

Theoretically each drafter should have used their best finisher. There should have been the top 2 from each decade and then the third team from four of the decades to make out the 16 entrants if the scoring was equally distributed for each team.  Due to drafting prowess this did not occur.  Most teams used their highest scoring team as their representative for Best in Show except for @Doug B(who chose his 7th place finishing 2010's team over his 6th place finishing 80's or 90's squads) and @Instinctivewho selected the 3rd place finishing 2010's squad over his 2nd place finishing 1960's squad).  

This also goes to show you how screwy scoring the 2010's decade was from the get go as the 2nd place 2010's decade team (@Frostillicus) finished higher than the first place 2010's decade team (@Jayrod)  for BiS   

Overall it looks like the older decades were penalized some for the changes to the game as the #2 finisher from the 2000's finished above the #1 from the 1980's, the #2 from the 1990's and 2010's finished above the 2010's #1 (anomaly already mentioned above) and the 1960's #1 finished below the #2 from the 1990's, 2000's and 2010's.  

Theoretically each drafter should have used their best finisher. There should have been the top 2 from each decade and then the third team from four of the decades to make out the 16 entrants if the scoring was equally distributed for each team.  Due to drafting prowess this did not occur.  Most teams used their highest scoring team as their representative for Best in Show except for @Doug B(who chose his 7th place finishing 2010's team over his 6th place finishing 80's or 90's squads) and @Instinctivewho selected the 3rd place finishing 2010's squad over his 2nd place finishing 1960's squad).  

This also goes to show you how screwy scoring the 2010's decade was from the get go as the 2nd place 2010's decade team (@Instinctive) finished higher than the first place 2010's decade team (@Jayrod)  for BiS   

Overall it looks like the older decades were penalized some for the changes to the game as the #2 finisher from the 2000's finished above the #1 from the 1980's, the #2 from the 1990's and 2010's finished above the 2010's #1 (anomaly already mentioned above) and the 1960's #1 finished below the #2 from the 1990's, 2000's and 2010's.  
You mean Frosty. I somehow still finished behind both him and Jayrod squad I thought. Which still baffles me but whatever. I'll take my galaxy brain and move on. 

You mean Frosty. I somehow still finished behind both him and Jayrod squad I thought. Which still baffles me but whatever. I'll take my galaxy brain and move on. 
Your 2010's team finished 3rd for the decade.  Frosty was 2nd and Jayrod was 1st.    In BiS Frosty leapfrogged Jayrod in the final standings (6th vs 8th) and you were still a bit further down at 11th.

ETA:  You were referring to the anomaly of the 2nd place team jumping the first place team in the BiS.  Yes, that was Frosty jumping over Jayrod

Dusted off my non-work laptop to do the polls (couldn’t figure out how to do it via phone). 

I’ll have things set YM up in the next hour for the BIS Cup. 

you got a little screwed and we know time is why. right there w Higgsy & jake for best frontcourt of the bunch and it totally lifts out to today. but even i dont remember Slater Martin, hi to Mikan's lo or not

I agree with all of this.  Wikkid's 1980's team has received the single most baffling love of any squad in this entire contest. Magic is an all-timer and Ewing was great, but overall the team around them is horrible on defense, can't shoot a lick, is duplicative in roles, had a short timer, and the group has some real character concerns off the court.  It's completely bizarre.
you wouldnt be facing me in the 1st round of the BiS playoffs, would you?!

I set up two poll threads for our first round of the Best In Show Cup over in the Basketball Forum. 

Before voting, please give the coaches a some time to do some write up commentary on their matchups in those threads since that is a big part of the fun. 

So we can finish the tournament this week, first round voting is due tonight by 9pm Pacific / midnight Eastern. 

@scoobus  @modogg  @Gally  @higgins  @wikkidpissah  @Frostillicus  @Mister CIA  @Jayrod  @Ilov80s  @Instinctive  @trader jake  @EYLive  @Kev4029  @timschochet  @Doug B  

I set up two poll threads for our first round of the Best In Show Cup over in the Basketball Forum. 

Before voting, please give the coaches a some time to do some write up commentary on their matchups in those threads since that is a big part of the fun. 

So we can finish the tournament this week, first round voting is due tonight by 9pm Pacific / midnight Eastern. 

@scoobus  @modogg  @Gally  @higgins  @wikkidpissah  @Frostillicus  @Mister CIA  @Jayrod  @Ilov80s  @Instinctive  @trader jake  @EYLive  @Kev4029  @timschochet  @Doug B  
what?! no link?!?! i have to click & scroll 2-3 times just to vote?!

Maybe put a note in the FFA NBA thread as well to get some additional eyes on it?

When is voting due? Trying to wait as long as possible to vote until everyone who wants to write something in there has a chance to.

Nice, looks like we already have 15 votes (really 3 plus all of Frosty’s aliases) in the poles. I should get a bonus from Joe for tripling the annual participation in that forum in our two weeks of voting threads. 

Up to 19 votes now. 

We have one 10 to 9 matchup, one 11 to 8, and two 12 to 7 so far. Most of the other contests aren’t very close. 

I am curious as to what those benchmarks are.  Care to share?  Is actually matching up against other teams to play in there somewhere or is it just strictly cumulative (or individual) statistical benchmarks only?
Not to get too into but points awarded for MVP, NBA title, ASG, All Pro, Finals MVP, ASG MVP, Leading league in categories, rookie of the year, etc. Basically using yearly awards/accomplishments as a judge of success as an NBA player and historic value. For the 10s teams, I did subjectively add some bonus points for what we can assume they might do based on age, previous accomplishments, etc. 

Today’s players would mop the floor with yesteryears studs. I don’t know how you avoid that when comparing teams. 
Then this Best in Show team exercise is dumb and pointless. Especially if we are just assuming all the games are played under modern rules with 3 point lines and where defenders can't play rough. 

you got a little screwed and we know time is why. right there w Higgsy & jake for best frontcourt of the bunch and it totally lifts out to today. but even i dont remember Slater Martin, hi to Mikan's lo or not

Yeah Slater Martin is preshot clock era and before our times. He is a HOFer, 7x All Star, 5x All NBA, 5x Champ who like most guys then had a shorter career (10 years). So he was one of the two-three premier  PGs of the 50s. 

Not to get too into but points awarded for MVP, NBA title, ASG, All Pro, Finals MVP, ASG MVP, Leading league in categories, rookie of the year, etc. Basically using yearly awards/accomplishments as a judge of success as an NBA player and historic value. For the 10s teams, I did subjectively add some bonus points for what we can assume they might do based on age, previous accomplishments, etc. 
Then team construction had zero value to you and it was just whoever had the most individual accolades. 

Then this Pantheon team exercise is dumb and pointless. Especially if we are just assuming all the games are played under modern rules with 3 point lines and where defenders can't play rough. 
In my mind (not saying everyone needs to vote this way but this is how I’m approaching it), the Best in Show seems more like a head to head type who beats who comparison. The Pantheon will factor more of the overall career accomplishments in my ranking. How the players and skill sets fit together if they were to play together will also be a big factor. 

In my mind (not saying everyone needs to vote this way but this is how I’m approaching it), the Best in Show seems more like a head to head type who beats who comparison. The Pantheon will factor more of the overall career accomplishments in my ranking. How the players and skill sets fit together if they were to play together will also be a big factor. 
I may have confused terminology there and changed. I took Best in Show as who took the best team relative of eras and accomplishments. Pantheon as the best squad if actual match ups were played out. 

Users who are viewing this thread