What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***** ALL-TIME NBA/ABA DRAFT ***** (Scoobus is Champion!) (6 Viewers)

2.11 PG Bob Cousy, 60s

One advantage of starting with a guy like Lebron is I can go pretty much any direction. And the direction I'm going is in the newest SOD, Bob Cousy. 

League leader in assists 8 times, winner of 6 titles, 13 All-Star appearances and 12 All-NBA teams (in 13 seasons) and an MVP. One of only four players named to the 25th, 35th, and 50th Anniversary NBA teams. Still ranks top 20 in career assists and had a 28 assist game in 1959 (3rd most ever). 

Career numbers: 18.4ppg, 7.5apg, 5.2rpg, and you KNOW his steals would have been a lot. Gives me a solid start on the era I know the least about and a capable PG to run pick and rolls with Lebron. Yeah, Lebron and Cousy running pick and rolls. Lookout.

Also this:

Cousy was well-known, both on and off the court, for his public stance against racism, a result of his upbringing in a multicultural environment. In 1950, the Celtics played a game in the then-segregated city of Charlotte, North Carolina, and teammate Chuck Cooper—the first African-American in NBA history to be drafted—would have been denied a hotel room. Instead of taking the hotel room, Cousy insisted on travelling with Cooper on an uncomfortable overnight train. He described their visit to a segregated men's toilet—Cooper was prohibited from using the clean "for whites" bathroom and had to use the shabby "for colored" facility—as one of the most shameful experiences of his life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fun to think that Pippen, Barkley, and Hakeem were all on the same team that got bounced in the first round.
They were all in their mid-30s, it was a strike shortened season (and Pippen's first with the team) and they faced the Shaq/Kobe Lakers.
[obligatorycomingtoamerica]

Clarence: You must be out your godd@mn mind! Joe Louis, the greatest boxer that ever lived ... He was badder than Cassius Clay, he was badder than Sugar Ray, and that new boy-what's his name? Mike Tyson?-looks like a bulldog; he was badder than him, too. He could whoop Mike Tyson's arsze! He could whoop all of they arsze!

Saul: Vait a minute. Vat about Rocky Marciano?

Clarence: Oh, there they go. There they go, every time I start talkin' 'bout boxing, a white man got to pull Rocky Marciano out they arsze. That's their one, that's their one. Rocky Marciano! Rocky Marciano! Let me tell you something, once and for all-Rocky Marciano was good; but compared to Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano ain't schmidt.

Saul: He beat Joe Louis' arsze.

Morris: That's right, he did whoop Joe Louis' arsze.

Clarence: Joe Louis was 75 years old when they fought.

Morris: I don't know how old he was, but he got his arsze whooped.

Clarence: Joe Louis had come out of retirement to fight Rocky Marciano the minute he was 76 years old. Joe Louis was always lying about his age. He lied about his age all the time. One time Frank Sinatra came in here and sat in this chair. I said "Frank, you hang out with Joe Louis, just between me and you, how old is Joe Louis?" You know what Frank told me, he said "Hey, Joe Louis is 137 years old." A hundred and thirty-seven years old!

Sweets: Oh. Man, you lying, you ain't never meet no Frank Sinatra.

Clarence: [points to Morris, Saul and Sweets] (Forget) you, (forget) you, and (forget) you! Who's next?!

[/obligatorycomingtoamerica]

Good pick on Cousy, was on my radar for the 3rd. 

2.12 Bob Petit PF 60s 

One of the first modern big men who played outside and facing the basket. His game probably would have translated to a modern game. He was long lean, could shoot and score around the rim. 

2x MVP, 1x NBA Champion

4x ASG MVP

11x All Star in an 11 season career

10x 1st Team All NBA

His best season he averaged 31/19/3

So no clock during the weekend, but try to peak in if it’s near your turn. If you’re going to be away all weekend you can send a list.

My wife is away most of the weekend so I’m not doing anything but drinking and smoking (my kids are old enough to drive themselves if they need anything), so I can always take a list. 

I HEREBY DECLARE!!!!

Official one hour clock starts Monday 3/8 at 7am pacific.  Drafters will be kept on skip until they make up their missed picks. 

2.13 - Giannis Antetokounmpo - PF 10's

For the last 3 years, he has been the best player in the NBA, possessing a combination of size, speed and skill we have never seen.  He already has 2 MVPs and a DPOY under his belt.  Having really only played 7.5 seasons (2.5 of which before he could buy a beer), he is already a premier player and a great frontcourt mate for Cap.

Good pick on Cousy, was on my radar for the 3rd. 

2.12 Bob Petit PF 60s 

One of the first modern big men who played outside and facing the basket. His game probably would have translated to a modern game. He was long lean, could shoot and score around the rim. 

2x MVP, 1x NBA Champion

4x ASG MVP

11x All Star in an 11 season career

10x 1st Team All NBA

His best season he averaged 31/19/3
longest reign as best at his position of the OGs (til Mailman, really) and probably still brought the most aspects to the PF position. i've never been able to find a link to one on youtube, but he had a hook shot that was a corner trey and it was deadly enough to work as a two.

his brother Bill was a runner for mob-connected books (laying off bets) in Reno for years. largest human i ever seen - 6'7, closin in on 700lbs when his heart 'sploded

2.14 Clyde Drexler SG 90s. 

I know no one else is, but i'm building teams. only reason i do these things. oversized guys w hops and handles. shonuff, one spray of MagicGlide will wipe all a coach's troubles away.

speaking of troubles, i bet this guy still has Jordan dreams, not only for the titles, but he'd probably be considered Top 20 if he played in another era

@timschochet

I know no one else is, but i'm building teams. only reason i do these things. oversized guys w hops and handles. shonuff, one spray of MagicGlide will wipe all a coach's troubles away.

speaking of troubles, i bet this guy still has Jordan dreams, not only for the titles, but he'd probably be considered Top 20 if he played in another era

@timschochet
I'm building teams.

@timschochet
Always felt like he has the most perfect nickname. He really did glide. Such a combo of smooth and explosive.

it sure didnt seem that way after your first picks...
As much as I respect your opinion on the matter, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

A brick wall of defense that makes every shot within 15 feet contested by one of two athletic 7-footers (while the other grabs the miss) is a great foundation for a team.  You work outside in, I'll work inside out and we'll see he gains the most ground in the middle.

I just realized we're going to pick a lot of old people. Many of them will be dead.  :(
my baby sister has come to visit my 95yo father for a coupla days most wks since me Ma died last summer. every weeknight she's here, @ 10pm they watch repeats of Johnny Carson (God knows why anyone shows it) on a cable station. i've never had a prob w watching movies made 100yrs ago or records 50-60 yrs ago, but watching dead people on a dais yakkin their lives creeps me the #### out!

@timschochet
Magic and Drexler - that would be one fun backcourt. 

2.11 PG Bob Cousy, 60s

One advantage of starting with a guy like Lebron is I can go pretty much any direction. And the direction I'm going is in the newest SOD, Bob Cousy. 

League leader in assists 8 times, winner of 6 titles, 13 All-Star appearances and 12 All-NBA teams (in 13 seasons) and an MVP. One of only four players named to the 25th, 35th, and 50th Anniversary NBA teams. Still ranks top 20 in career assists and had a 28 assist game in 1959 (3rd most ever). 

Career numbers: 18.4ppg, 7.5apg, 5.2rpg, and you KNOW his steals would have been a lot. Gives me a solid start on the era I know the least about and a capable PG to run pick and rolls with Lebron. Yeah, Lebron and Cousy running pick and rolls. Lookout.

Also this:

Cousy was well-known, both on and off the court, for his public stance against racism, a result of his upbringing in a multicultural environment. In 1950, the Celtics played a game in the then-segregated city of Charlotte, North Carolina, and teammate Chuck Cooper—the first African-American in NBA history to be drafted—would have been denied a hotel room. Instead of taking the hotel room, Cousy insisted on travelling with Cooper on an uncomfortable overnight train. He described their visit to a segregated men's toilet—Cooper was prohibited from using the clean "for whites" bathroom and had to use the shabby "for colored" facility—as one of the most shameful experiences of his life.
This is the pick I was going to make for @Gally if needed.  His career stats and hardware, both individually and as part of the Celtics, stack up favorably against any PG in any era.  While this isn't his greatest career moment, I can say I got to see this one with my own eyes.    

This is the pick I was going to make for @Gally if needed.  His career stats and hardware, both individually and as part of the Celtics, stack up favorably against any PG in any era.  While this isn't his greatest career moment, I can say I got to see this one with my own eyes.    
I honestly was leaning his way then decided two super old guys would hurt me in pantheon. so went to my 3-man list.

I had no idea Cooz was in that movie (I was young enough when that came out, I might not have known who he even was).

Users who are viewing this thread