What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***** ALL-TIME NBA/ABA DRAFT ***** (Scoobus is Champion!) (1 Viewer)

It is like people don't understand why Russell was my 1st round pick. He is Tom Brady on steroids. Players will always get in line when faced with Bill Russell. He makes it all work. 

STEAL OF THE DRAFT (after LeBron at 1.06 jfc)

5.08 Nate the Great Thurmond, Chairman of the Boards, C 60s

He "only" made 5x all defense in the era where guys played like 10 years total...because the award wasn't invented until he'd had a five-year or so reign as the best defender in the NBA (ok, fine, 2nd best, sorry Mr. Russell). Kareem described him as the greatest defender he ever faced, claiming that scoring on Nate was among the greatest accomplishments every time. He was the first (only?) player ever to hold Wilt Chamberlain to ZERO points in a game.

He's one of the only 4 players ever to average 20 points and 20 rebounds for an entire season. Twenty. And. Twenty.

Here's the list of players who have ever had more rebounds in a game than Thurmond has:

1. Bill Russell
  2. Wilt Chamberlain
That's it. That's the entire list.

I almost took him at 3.08, then rolled the dice he'd fall to me after some of the ridiculous picks already made at the C position in round 3 by the folks who'd pick again after TMac and before my 5.08. Here are some, to bring a 🔥🔥🔥 take to the club, ridiculous picks made at only his position, which he is definitely a better pick over:

• Wes Unseld
  • Willis Reed
  • Patrick Ewing (isn't he literally just a more recent but worse version of Thurmond?)
  • Alonzo Mourning?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
  • Demarcus Cousins?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Thank y'all. Seriously. Here is the best starting five of of the Pantheon:

Oscar Robertson leading the way

Tracy McGrady and Kawhi Leonard on the wings

Dirk Nowitzki and Nate Thurmond down low (or not, because, you know, Dirk). 

Good luck stopping or scoring against this squad. Seriously. Oscar running the drag screen with Thurmond rolling while Dirk pops, or a simple PnR with Dirk, TMac, and Kawhi spacing, or...the possibilities are endless. I'm so excited.

Oh, and he recorded the first ever quadruple double in the twilight of his career, once they began tracking blocks...with TWELVE in a game alongside the traditional triple double stats.

He "only" made 5x all defense in the era where guys played like 10 years total...because the award wasn't invented until he'd had a five-year or so reign as the best defender in the NBA (ok, fine, 2nd best, sorry Mr. Russell). Kareem described him as the greatest defender he ever faced, claiming that scoring on Nate was among the greatest accomplishments every time. He was the first (only?) player ever to hold Wilt Chamberlain to ZERO points in a game.

He's one of the only 4 players ever to average 20 points and 20 rebounds for an entire season. Twenty. And. Twenty.

Here's the list of players who have ever had more rebounds in a game than Thurmond has:

1. Bill Russell
  2. Wilt Chamberlain
That's it. That's the entire list.

I almost took him at 3.08, then rolled the dice he'd fall to me after some of the ridiculous picks already made at the C position in round 3 by the folks who'd pick again after TMac and before my 5.08. Here are some, to bring a 🔥🔥🔥 take to the club, ridiculous picks made at only his position, which he is definitely a better pick over:

• Wes Unseld
  • Willis Reed
  • Patrick Ewing (isn't he literally just a more recent but worse version of Thurmond?)
  • Alonzo Mourning?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
  • Demarcus Cousins?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Thank y'all. Seriously. Here is the best starting five of of the Pantheon:

Oscar Robertson leading the way

Tracy McGrady and Kawhi Leonard on the wings

Dirk Nowitzki and Nate Thurmond down low (or not, because, you know, Dirk). 

Good luck stopping or scoring against this squad. Seriously. Oscar running the drag screen with Thurmond rolling while Dirk pops, or a simple PnR with Dirk, TMac, and Kawhi spacing, or...the possibilities are endless. I'm so excited.
Went back and forth between him and Reed. 

He (essentially) retired in 1963.
Wow, so I just read this about Cousy un-retiring in 1969-70 season to play for the team he was coaching (and did both poorly).

Adding still more to the story was Bob Cousy's decision to play at age 41. In order to be activated, the Royals had to trade solid reserve Bill Dinwiddie to the Boston Celtics so that Red Auerbach could release him from the Boston retired list. Cousy played seven games in November, and played poorly, having not played in the NBA for five seasons. Despite the hype and changes, the team was clearly worse than it had been the previous season. But the Jacobses and Axelson were already looking to sell the team anyway. This season marked the beginning of the end of the Cincinnati Royals as a result. The Royals failed to qualify for the playoffs. The Royals finished in 5th place with a 36–46 record.
WTF, Cooz?  Sounds like he also screwed Oscar over a bit in this season, which was Oscar's last in Cincy.

5.09 Grant Hill  -  SF 1990s

Hall of Famer that could do it all.  Despite injuries he still made the Hall of Fame and collected 7 all-star appearances and 5 All-NBA honors.  His defense was second to none, especially for a superstar and face of the league level player.  Crazy to read that he may be an even better person off the court than he was on it.  #33

Dudes, I'm tapping out.  If you see me making another pick tonight that could only mean I'm tapping into the vermouth.

Hall of Famer that could do it all.  Despite injuries he still made the Hall of Fame and collected 7 all-star appearances and 5 All-NBA honors.  His defense was second to none, especially for a superstar and face of the league level player.  Crazy to read that he may be an even better person off the court than he was on it.  #33
Nice pick, was on my short list

Any of you guys ever seen Paul Simon (the singer) playing one-on-one with Connie Hawkins on Saturday Night Live’s second episode in 1975?

No video online, surprisingly, but there’s plenty of articles about the matchup.

I know @wikkidpissah had to have seen this.
yeah, that was very early on. if Simon hadnt been so huge then i think he might have joined the cast - just loved the concept, he was surprisingly funny & willing, and hung around all fall. he & Micahels still BFFs.

the sketch would be familiar to a modern audience who've seen so many "get that #### out of here" vids but it was an eye-popper then. 5'2 Simon could ball a li'l and faked Hawk out of his shoes on one play and Hawk returned the favor by jumping him like a turd in the street.

•  
Nate was like i was trying to say about Drexler behind Jordan. He'd be a LOT more famous, better remembered if he hadnt worked in the shadow of Wilt (they were on the same team a while if you can believe it) & Russ. the knock is that great bigs could singlehandedly drag teams to wins back then & he didnt

and no on the Ewing comment. Ewing could take a lean better and had switch speed that would work today

if it was choose-ups-at-the-top-of-your-game, Hill (or Walton) would have been my 2nd pick. damn shame

Yes! I get my guy.

20/20 players don't grow on trees, but here I am taking such a freak.

5.11 - Jerry Lucas PF 60s

I scoff at the thought of Dennis Rodman.

• PG: Gary Payton
  • SG: Luka
  • SF: Kevin Durant
  • PF: Jerry Lucas
  • C : Hakeem Olajuwon
niice

Sorry, @modogg

5.12: SF Billy Cunningham, 1970s

Want another 'dirty work' guy ... and one that can create his own shot and facilitate plays for others is all the better. Stat lines certainly aren't the end-all for these players, but I like Cunningham's two-season run as he jumped leagues:

1971-72 with the Sixers: 23.3 ppg, 12.2 rpg, 5.9 apg
1972-73 with the ABA's Carolina Cougars: 24.1 ppg, 12.0 rpg, 6.3 apg

Also: steals weren't tracked during Cunningham's first seven years as a pro. The first year he had his steals tracked -- the 1972-73 ABA season above -- he led the ABA in steals (2.6 spg). 

@higgins

he's taking the 2nd stringers are battling the starters 5th practice of the season. 0 points for chemistry (was hoping he would end up on a team with Rodman)
Bad Boys 2.0 with Isiah Thomas, Bill Russell and Jimmy Buckets. In the long history of the game, it's only a very small period we see now that is dominated by outside shooting and soft defense. My team is built to play the rough physical game that basketball has historically been. Butler was born for the 80s-90s NBA game. He would have lived for going toe to toe with Bird or getting into a fight with Malone. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Bad Boys 2.0 with Isiah Thomas, Bull Russell and Jimmy Buckets. In the long history of the game, it's only a very small period we see now that is dominated by outside shooting and soft defense. My team is built to play the rough physical game that basketball has historically been. Butler was born for the 80s-90s NBA game. He would have lived for going toe to toe with Bird or getting into a fight with Malone. 
Which refs get to call the Pantheon matches matters a lot :lol:

More like toe of Bird's foot to Jimmy G Backside's ###.  Love Butler's grit, but he's bringing an expensive coffee to a gunfight there.
Difference here is Bird is the teams star, Jimmy is my role player. I don't need him to do anything but harass Bird up and down the court for every second Bird is in the game. I don't need Butler to score a single point because I have the original Larry Bird on my team in Pettit. 

I don't know #### about the 60s, but notorious Celtics non-homer, Bill Simmons, had him 33rd all time. 
i might have waited another round, but no one was more pure-of-stroke than ol' Sam (whose basketball camp i went to, btw). the dynasty Celts had a #### ton of guys weaving & hustling & leaping & picking & trapping, but really only one guy stroking. and i'm sure Simmons's dad told him that stroke was a worthy result of all that work. nufced

Sorry, @modogg

5.12: SF Billy Cunningham, 1970s

Want another 'dirty work' guy ... and one that can create his own shot and facilitate plays for others is all the better. Stat lines certainly aren't the end-all for these players, but I like Cunningham's two-season run as he jumped leagues:

1971-72 with the Sixers: 23.3 ppg, 12.2 rpg, 5.9 apg
1972-73 with the ABA's Carolina Cougars: 24.1 ppg, 12.0 rpg, 6.3 apg

Also: steals weren't tracked during Cunningham's first seven years as a pro. The first year he had his steals tracked -- the 1972-73 ABA season above -- he led the ABA in steals (2.6 spg). 

@higgins
The Kangaroo Kid! He was on the short list for my 6th man.

Users who are viewing this thread