What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***** ALL-TIME NBA/ABA DRAFT ***** (Scoobus is Champion!) (2 Viewers)

Was hoping for either Bellamy or DeBusschere to slip to me. Time for plan B. Yo Mama selects:

7.16 - Robert Parish, 80s C

Need another big and he’s a steal at this point. The only 80s Celtic I could stand (actually I had no beef with DJ).  Superb defense, underrated midrange game, racially charged nickname, martial arts aficionado. He hardly ever missed a game. 

Career averages of 14.5 ppg and 9.1 rpg to go with 0.8 steals and 1.5 blocks. A 10 year peak at 17.6 ppg and 10.5 rpg with 0.8/1.7 defensive stats. 

4x champ (got one his last year with Bulls)

2x all nba

9x all star

Chief

I'm pretty lukewarm on Melo, but I'm surprised he made it this far.  If Melo had been on the Celtics rather than Pierce who was selected 50 picks earlier, I don't think things would have been much different for that title team. Or, like I said, maybe Anthony Carter isn't such a #### bag and the Nuggets beat the Magic in the finals that year and Melo is all the sudden a top 50-75 player of all time. 
I dunno....his aversion to hard work on the defensive end and lack of playmaking make me wonder how great he could have really been.

All that said, if Dantley had been taken from me before 6.13, I probably would have taken Melo after the turn at 7.04.

I debated him vs. DJ vs. Dumars for a while today.  Ultimately felt I needed more of a PG defender than a SF and liked what DJ brought to the table offensively (assists/shooting), but DeBusschere was a pain in the ### of his opponents and one of my dad's favorite players. 
I'm glad you took DJ, because I reeeeeally needed somebody that I could say was a SF.

I wanted to go Melo/DeBusschere back to back picks but it sounds like that was never going to happen.

I dunno....his aversion to hard work on the defensive end and lack of playmaking make me wonder how great he could have really been.

All that said, if Dantley had been taken from me before 6.13, I probably would have taken Melo after the turn at 7.04.
My write up that I was all done with before Scoobus stole him was going to focus a bit more on FIBA Melo than NBA Melo - he looked really good in those first two Olympic runs. Melo was certainly a lackadaisical defender, but he was more fine than bad when it mattered. And Paul Pierce looked a lot better defensively with arguably the best defender of the last 40 years on the team, and otherwise surrounded by ace defenders. 

Now for a personal favorite. Yo Mama selects:

8.01 - Pau Gasol, 00s PF/C (I’ll slot him as a C for now)

Love this guy. Amazing player, even a more amazing guy off the court. Incredible skill (shooting, passing, footwork) for a player his size. Career averages of 17.0/9.2/3.2 with 0.5 steals and 1.6 blocks, on 37%/51%75% career shooting. 

2x champ (with a decent argument for 1 fmvp)

4x all nba

6x all star

First foreign rookie of the year

Plus a solid Euro career that I’m not even counting

Last edited by a moderator:
Now for a personal favorite. Yo Mama selects:

8.01 - Pau Gasol, 00s PF/C (I’ll slot him as a C for now)

Love this guy. Amazing player, even a more amazing guy off the court. Incredible skill (shooting, passing, footwork) for a player his size. Career averages of 17.0/9.2/3.2 with 0.5 steals and 1.6 blocks, on 37%/51%75% career shooting. 

2x champ (with a decent argument for 1 fmvp)

4x all nba

6x all star

First foreign rookie of the year

Plus a solid Euro career that I’m not even counting
Once Parish went, I was settled on Gasol.  What you need 2 centers on the turn for?  Just greedy.

Yo Mama’s All-Time Team

PG - Nate “Tiny” Archibald - 70s/80s

SG - Klay Thompson - 10s

SF - Elgin Baylor - 60s

PF - Anthony Davis - 10s

C - Moses Malone - 70s/80s

PG/SG - Sidney Moncrief - 80s

C - Robert Parish - 80s

PF/C - Pau Gasol - 00s/10s

8.02 Kevin Johnson, PG, 90s

My favorite player growing up (mostly because of the sweet first name and my love for the 80s/90s Suns unis when I was like 8 years old). 5 time All-NBA. He is athletically on par with the great PGs we’ve had in the last decade with a killer first step and the ups to attack the rim. Kind of an Allen Iverson-lite that would pass the ball. Had a 9 year stretch where he averaged on 19.7/3.4/9.9/1.6stls with a .590 TS%, 21.5 PER, and .187 WS/48 (which is pretty nice for a perimeter player in the late 80s & early 90s).

He compares incredibly favorably to some of the other PGs of the era.

@scoobus

Yo Mama’s All-Time Team

SG - Klay Thompson - 10s

SF - Elgin Baylor - 60s

PF - Anthony Davis - 10s

C - Robert Parish - 80s

That squad is going to play some defense.

8.02 Kevin Johnson, PG, 90s

My favorite player growing up (mostly because of the sweet first name and my love for the 80s/90s Suns unis when I was like 8 years old). 5 time All-NBA. He is athletically on par with the great PGs we’ve had in the last decade with a killer first step and the ups to attack the rim. Kind of an Allen Iverson-lite that would pass the ball. Had a 9 year stretch where he averaged on 19.7/3.4/9.9/1.6stls with a .590 TS%, 21.5 PER, and .187 WS/48 (which is pretty nice for a perimeter player in the late 80s & early 90s).

He compares incredibly favorably to some of the other PGs of the era.

@scoobus
Ack! Good one. :(  

8.03 Paul Arizin, SF, 60s

Honors: 10x All-Star, 4x All-NBA Selection, 2x Scoring Champion, Hall of Famer

“He was a two-time scoring champion and pioneering jump shooter who was efficient on the offensive end of the court, with a career true shooting percentage that was 11% better than the league average. After his first scoring crown (in his second season), he went to serve in the Korean War, and missed two seasons of his prime. He didn’t miss a beat upon his return, and in 1955-56, he was the best player in the league in the playoffs, leading the Warriors to the championship.”

Trying to continue spreading out to other decades, we’ll go with the guy who literally pioneered the game. You think the player you just drafted has a good jump shot? He wouldn’t even know how if it wasn’t for my boy Paul! Not sure he’ll make the pantheon team because I don’t know how guys who played that long ago will be judged/ranked, but he’s a good start to my 60s squad.

EXECUTIVE DECISION

*** Draft clock now turns off at 5pm pacific / 8pm eastern ***

In these difficult times, there’s no need to make our least coasters tied to a clock so late. We’ve been moving at a great pace and did an awesome job drafting on nights/weekends anyway. 

I’ll update the first post. 

(This decision is still subject to my ever changing moods and whims.)

Yo Mama’s All-Time Team

SG - Klay Thompson - 10s

SF - Elgin Baylor - 60s

PF - Anthony Davis - 10s

C - Robert Parish - 80s

A lot of size there

A lot of size there
That’s how Yo Mama likes it. 

I may end up putting another wing in the pantheon lineup depending on how I fill out my rosters. I remember the center well drying up pretty quick last time we did this, and I didn’t want to miss a run being on the turn. 

Yo Mama’s All-Time Team

SG - Klay Thompson - 10s

SF - Elgin Baylor - 60s

PF - Anthony Davis - 10s

C - Robert Parish - 80s

I like this team, I think you picked guys that could play across generations.. aside from The Chief.

8.05: PG Lenny Wilkens, 1960s

My 1960s floor general to pair with Bellamy. He made nine All-Star squads, six in the Sixties and three in the early Seventies. Wilkens's basketball smarts were renowned, and he was asked to serve as player-coach of the Seattle Supersonics before his second season with the team (1969-70). Despite the extra workload, Wilkens continued to develop as a player, notching his career-high in assists-per-game (9.6) in his 12th pro season.

@Mister CIA

8.07 - Dan Issel - C/1970's

A prolific scorer, Issel remains the all-time leading scorer at the University of Kentucky, the second-leading scorer of all time for the NBA's Denver Nuggets, and the second-leading scorer of all time for the American Basketball Association itself. Upon Issel's retirement from the NBA in 1985, Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, and Julius Erving were the only professional basketball players to have scored more career points.  Issel was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 1993.

Career highlights and awards

• ABA champion (1975)
  • NBA All-Star (1977)
  • 6× ABA All-Star (1971–1976)
  • ABA All-Star Game MVP (1972)
  • All-ABA First Team (1972)
  • 4× All-ABA Second Team (1971, 1973, 1974, 1976)
  • ABA Rookie of the Year (1971)
  • ABA scoring champion (1971)
  • J. Walter Kennedy Citizenship Award (1985)
  • ABA All-Time Team
  • No. 44 retired by Denver Nuggets
  • Consensus first-team All-American (1970)
  • Consensus second-team All-American (1969)

@trader jakeon the clock

8.07 - Dan Issel - C/1970's

A prolific scorer, Issel remains the all-time leading scorer at the University of Kentucky, the second-leading scorer of all time for the NBA's Denver Nuggets, and the second-leading scorer of all time for the American Basketball Association itself. Upon Issel's retirement from the NBA in 1985, Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, and Julius Erving were the only professional basketball players to have scored more career points.  Issel was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 1993.

Career highlights and awards

• ABA champion (1975)
  • NBA All-Star (1977)
  • 6× ABA All-Star (1971–1976)
  • ABA All-Star Game MVP (1972)
  • All-ABA First Team (1972)
  • 4× All-ABA Second Team (1971, 1973, 1974, 1976)
  • ABA Rookie of the Year (1971)
  • ABA scoring champion (1971)
  • J. Walter Kennedy Citizenship Award (1985)
  • ABA All-Time Team
  • No. 44 retired by Denver Nuggets
  • Consensus first-team All-American (1970)
  • Consensus second-team All-American (1969)

@trader jakeon the clock
Another Nugget! We're just crushing it in these last couple rounds. 

Seems like the old ABA guys are coming at a bit of a discount, other than Dr J and Gervin.

Seems like the old ABA guys are coming at a bit of a discount, other than Dr J and Gervin.
I literally cut their honors/awards in half on my spreadsheet; like if they made 3 all-ABA teams it was equal to 1.5 all-NBA teams. I still had Gilmore and Issel really highly ranked, they just didn't fit with Kareem and Giannis being my first 2 picks. There were several ABA guys I looked at, just never seemed like the right fit.

Add another one to the list (to play with Iceman Gervin).

8.08 Bobby Jones – PF 1970s

“The Secretary of Defense” …if you want defense, Bobby Jones is the man to have.  This Hall of Fame player started his career in the ABA and his team posted the best record in the league with him on board and he followed that up by making the All-ABA team in his second year.  Jones then moved to the NBA and dominated offensive players for over a decade.  In his career he took home All-Defensive honors 11 times and was a vital cog in the 1983 76ers championship team.

Off the court he’s considered to be one of the most virtuous players of all-time and his leadership skills were noted in every piece I read.   I found the following intriguing, “Jones's coaches would marvel that he was so good at things they had trouble getting many other players to do at all, such as blocking shots, moving without the ball, hustling back on defense, tipping passes, diving after loose balls, and giving up an open outside shot so a teammate could hit from inside—all things that rarely, if ever, show up in a box score. Jones was as unselfish as a player could be, so much so that coaches had to implore him to take more shots.”

The mid/late 70’s and early 80s were not a hot bed of 3pt shooting, but Jones hit 78% of his free throws as an NBA player.  This leads me to believe he would have been a respected 3pt shooter had he played a decade (or more) later.  Instead he finished his career as the all-time FG% leader in ABA history and top 20 in the history of basketball.  On and off the court he’s the perfect player to add to any roster in any era.  #24

Last edited by a moderator:
Add another one to the list (to play with Iceman Gervin).

8.08 Bobby Jones – PF 1970s

“The Secretary of Defense” …if you want defense, this should be your player.  This Hall of Fame player started his career in the ABA and his team posted the best record in the league with him on board and he followed that up by making the All-ABA team in his second year.  Jones then moved to the NBA and dominated offensive players for over a decade.  In his career he took home All-Defensive honors 11 times and was a vital cog in the 1983 76ers championship team.

Off the court he’s considered to be one of the most virtuous players of all-time and his leadership skills were noted in every piece I read.   I found the following intriguing, “Jones's coaches would marvel that he was so good at things they had trouble getting many other players to do at all, such as blocking shots, moving without the ball, hustling back on defense, tipping passes, diving after loose balls, and giving up an open outside shot so a teammate could hit from inside—all things that rarely, if ever, show up in a box score. Jones was as unselfish as a player could be, so much so that coaches had to implore him to take more shots.”

The mid/late 70’s and early 80s were not a hot bed of 3pt shooting, but Jones hit 78% of his free throws as an NBA player.  This leads me to believe he would have been a respected 3pt shooter had he played a decade (or more) later.  Instead he finished his career as the all-time FG% leader in ABA history and top 20 in the history of basketball.  On and off the court he’s the perfect player to add to any roster in any era.  #24
Funny - I was just looking at his stats. 

I need to stop pulling up players on basketball reference when I’m not up. It’s the kiss of death. 

8.09 Marques Johnson, SF 80s

I watched an old highlight of him guarding both Kareem and Magic in one game alongside Moncrief on the perimeter, while scoring like 30 points on 70% shooting, because I was kind of getting desperate for someone in any of our middle decades and I lost my defensive anchor to Jake. I'll settle for the 3x All-NBA, 5x All-Star who revolutionized the forward position, and was the forerunner to the LeBron, Grant Hill, Kawhi "point forward" types. I love a lot of guys in this round, so much so that I probably would have swapped my 6th for two 8ths or 7th for two 9ths. 

Here are some quotes about him:

When we take stock of the landscape of the modern NBA, Johnson’s fingerprints are all over it. The Louisiana native was one of a number of players who changed the way forwards played the game, triggering a shift that eventually led to wings taking over in the ensuing decades. 
Johnson is one of a number of influential figures from the late 70s and early 80s — including fellow Bucks luminaries Don Nelson, Del Harris, and Paul Pressey — who deserve credit for the birth of the “point forward” role.

While Johnson doesn’t claim to be the first player to have played in such a capacity, he was certainly among them. What Johnson does lay claim to is having been the one to coin point forward as a phrase.
I think he could be my final piece to the Pantheon team as a fantastic 6th man with some grit and the skills to back it all up distributing as well:

In spite of being one of the league’s deadliest scorers, Johnson persistently showed a willingness to sacrifice for the good of the team.
@EYLive up next!

I watched an old highlight of him guarding both Kareem and Magic in one game alongside Moncrief on the perimeter, while scoring like 30 points on 70% shooting, because I was kind of getting desperate for someone in any of our middle decades and I lost my defensive anchor to Jake. I'll settle for the 3x All-NBA, 5x All-Star who revolutionized the forward position, and was the forerunner to the LeBron, Grant Hill, Kawhi "point forward" types. I love a lot of guys in this round, so much so that I probably would have swapped my 6th for two 8ths or 7th for two 9ths. 

I think he could be my final piece to the Pantheon team as a fantastic 6th man with some grit and the skills to back it all up distributing as well:

@EYLive up next!
"Is that you, Raymond?"

@EYLive up next!
His son Josiah is pretty awesome on the Twitter too. 

Users who are viewing this thread