What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***** ALL-TIME NBA/ABA DRAFT ***** (Scoobus is Champion!) (4 Viewers)

9.07 - Andrei Kirilenko, PF, 2000

15 points, 8 rebounds, 3 blocks, 1.5 steals and defended like a demon. 
AK-47 might be the most perfect nickname for a player.  :chef's kiss:  Great pick.

ETA:  I take it back, I didn't realize how great a Defender AK-47 was.
Yup, he was ridiculous.  In today's schemes he'd be an ideal switching defender.  First time I heard of a 5x5 was because of him.

More importantly, Andrei Kirilenko is married to a Madonna-ish Russian singer that gave AK47 a "Hall Pass" once a year.  Yes, you read that correctly, a true one-time a year hall pass.  ESPN link (half way down)

During those seven months, Masha waits patiently at home. And, yes, she knows what happens on the road. She met Andrei at an event organized by the marketing firm she founded. She knows what can start with a smile in the Miami airport, a knock on a hotel door in Cleveland. The wrong woman, at the wrong time, in the wrong place, with the wrong man. Her man. "Male athletes in this country are extremely attractive," she says. "They get chased by women. It's hard to resist. It's the way men are by nature."

She calls it Andrei's "allowance." Once a year he can have sex with another woman. One night. No affairs, no divided loyalty. She can live with that. It was her idea, offered as a gift.

"Of course, it was a surprise," Andrei says. "I'm not planning to do anything. But she said if you want to do it, you can do it."

It’s easier to win 3 series against mediocre to bad teams 
Celtics won 11 titles from 57 to 69.

In the first 8 titles, they only played two series.  

In six of those years, they played two teams at 38-34, one team at .500, and three teams below .500 in Rd 1.

In 1957 and 1959, they played teams with 34-38 and 33-39 records in the finals.

They had great teams for sure, but their path to winning titles was INCREDIBLY easy in every year except 1969, when they faced three teams over .650.

Celtics won 11 titles from 57 to 69.

In the first 8 titles, they only played two series.  

In six of those years, they played two teams at 38-34, one team at .500, and three teams below .500 in Rd 1.

In 1957 and 1959, they played teams with 34-38 and 33-39 records in the finals.

They had great teams for sure, but their path to winning titles was INCREDIBLY easy in every year except 1969, when they faced three teams over .650.

Like in 63-64 when they had to beat two teams with a combined record of 103-59 and go through Wilt, Oscar, Jerry Lucas and Nate Thurmond plus some other HOFers who I can’t mention yet? They won both series 4-1 too because they were that great.

9.12: PF George McGinnis, 1970s

McGinnis was a three-time ABA All-Star with the Pacers and was that league's last scoring champion in 1975. After the ABA folded and the Pacers joined the NBA, McGinnis's rights reverted from Indiana to the 76ers, the NBA team that drafted him out of college. McGinnis proved his ABA dominance was no fluke, being named to three NBA All-Star games (last one with Denver) and to the All-NBA team twice.

McGinnis was a steady 25-13 guy in the ABA and a 21-11 guy later with the Sixers. He was also unusually quick and disruptive in the passing lanes for his position, averaging over 2 steals per game in both the ABA and with the 76ers in the NBA.

@higgins

McGinnis was a three-time ABA All-Star with the Pacers and was that league's last scoring champion in 1975. After the ABA folded and the Pacers joined the NBA, McGinnis's rights reverted from Indiana to the 76ers, the NBA team that drafted him out of college. McGinnis proved his ABA dominance was no fluke, being named to three NBA All-Star games (last one with Denver) and to the All-NBA team twice.

McGinnis was a steady 25-13 guy in the ABA and a 21-11 guy later with the Sixers. He was also unusually quick and disruptive in the passing lanes for his position, averaging over 2 steals per game in both the ABA and with the 76ers in the NBA.

@higgins
my choice @ 9.03 if i hadnt gone sentimental. kind of player we dont have much anymore - stone scoring machine and general pantload

9.14 Rudy Gobert, C, 10s

Maybe a little bit early and probably could’ve waited around the turn, but we’re building teams here and can’t take any chances. When you’ve got Melo, you need to pair him with certain players that compliment where he perhaps lack some skill. Enter the 3x All-NBA, 4x 1st team All-Densive, 2x Defensive POY. Doesn’t need the ball in his hands on offense to he effective, and total game-changer on defense.

Ilov80s said:
Like in 63-64 when they had to beat two teams with a combined record of 103-59 and go through Wilt, Oscar, Jerry Lucas and Nate Thurmond plus some other HOFers who I can’t mention yet? They won both series 4-1 too because they were that great.
One of only two times in 11 titles where they only lost one game in each of the series they played for a year.
25 series in 11 titles.
2 sweeps. vs 38-34 and 33-39 teams.
7 4-1 wins
5 4-2 wins
1 3-2 win. 
10 4-3 wins.

In 64% of their series, they lost 2 or 3 games.

9 titles when only 8 or 9 teams were in the NBA.  

In those 11 titles, they only had two teams over .750 for the season.  They averaged 23 losses per season in those 11 years.

When it came down to winning a series, they excelled. I think that speaks more to Russell than how good the teams were as a whole.

Doug B said:

@higgins
another huge steal here.

trader jake said:
9.09 Amar'e Stoudemire – C 2000s

The high-flying big for Phoenix was the finisher for those almost-championship Suns.

The McDonald’s All-American came straight to the pros from high school and beat out Yao Ming and a tough class of rookies to take home the rookie of the year award.  That season he put up a prep-to-pro rookie record 38 points in a game (broken by LeBron James).  The next season he exploded statistically, and the rest was history.  In one game he’d put up 10 blocks, followed the next game with 40 and 15…he was dominant to watch.

Only a knee injury in the mid 2000’s kept him from putting up even better numbers, but he did post 5 All-NBA seasons in the decade.  His athleticism and versatility inside was a wonder to watch and when he wasn’t blocking shots, grabbing offensive rebounds, or going up for highlight dunks he was working his way to the foul line – leading in free throws mid-decade.  He was such an athletic freak that in 2020 he was still playing professional basketball in Isreal (he’s now with the Nets as a development assistant).

This is the 3rd guy that I think has a case for best C of the 00s.

Doug B said:

@higgins
I went back and forth between him and Spencer Haywood for a while.

9.15 Draymond Green, PF 10s

The most versatile defender, if not the best, of the 2010's and the absolute ideal player to pair with Nikola Jokic on my 10s team. He'll probably get some time across all 3 front court positions on my pantheon team. 5x All-Defense, 1x Defensive Player of the Year (2nd PF to win it since Rodman in 90 and 91), 2 x All-NBA, 3x All-Star, and probably the 2nd best player on their first title run.

Through the four years the Warriors won 3 titles, Green averaged 11.8/8.3/6.3/1.6/1.3 on a respectable .553 TS/17.1 PER/.162 WS/48  in the regular season and 13.3/10.0/6.4/1.8/1.5 with .543 TS%/17.3 PER/.171 WS/48 in the playoffs. 

He was the lifeblood of three title teams, which I doubt could be said about any player remaining.

@Yo Mama

(Amar'e Stoudemire) is the 3rd guy that I think has a case for best C of the 00s.
Agreed.  When I saw Yao go off the board at 8.01 I assumed Stoudemire wasn't far behind.  Would have selected Stoudemire with my next pick but I couldn't pass on Bobby Jones when he fell....and I was very surprised when Amar'e lasted as long as he did. Guessing most everyone has a few of those surprise fallers within their draft picks.  Hopefully it makes up for the times you get sniped as a drafter.  :cough Kawhi cough:

Mister CIA said:
9.11 - Jermaine O'Neal C, 00s
I was curious when he would go. If Isiah Thomas is the player that looks the worst historically between advanced stats and reputation, Jermaine O'Neal might be number two (Iverson and Melo being the other two off the top of my head). Although O'Neal also had a reputation as a good defender as opposed to the other 3.

I was curious when he would go. If Isiah Thomas is the player that looks the worst historically between advanced stats and reputation, Jermaine O'Neal might be number two (Iverson and Melo being the other two off the top of my head). Although O'Neal also had a reputation as a good defender as opposed to the other 3.
I phrased that funny...

I meant to say the biggest difference between reputation at the time and their advanced stats in retrospect (or while it was actually happening in Carmelo's case).

Ok, this one is too easy. HOF scoring stud who fits perfectly on my pantheon team (sorry Pau) and should have been gone a while ago. Yo Mama selects:

9.16 - Gail Goodrich, 70s SG

I needed another scorer on my pantheon team and this guy is perfect for that.  A key part of one of the greatest teams in NBA history - the 71-72 Lakers, who won the first championship in LA. On a team with Wilt, West, and Baylor, Goodrich was the one who led the Lakers in scoring in the finals that year with 25.6 ppg. 

Career averages of 18.6/3.2/4.7 with 1.3 steals. During his 8 year peak he averaged 22.4/3.6/5.5 with 1.5 steals. And this is before 3 pointers, and where steals only counted for the second half of his career. 

1x champ

1x all nba

5x all star

Hall of Fame

Stud college career at UCLA too

Moses, Tiny, and Goodrich are going to be tough to beat in the 70s and might end up being my best in show choice. 

Doug B said:

@higgins
That dude was built like Adonis and moved like Jesse Owens. His hands were probably too big to ever be a good shooter, but he was a heathen hell-beast.

I know the orthodox narrative is that pro hoops sucked in the '70s, but that was my time. I loved it. It was a huge deal when we got to see the influx of ABA guys like McGinnis, Dr J, Bobby Jones, Issel, Gilmore, et al......

9.15 Draymond Green, PF 10s

The most versatile defender, if not the best, of the 2010's and the absolute ideal player to pair with Nikola Jokic on my 10s team. He'll probably get some time across all 3 front court positions on my pantheon team. 5x All-Defense, 1x Defensive Player of the Year (2nd PF to win it since Rodman in 90 and 91), 2 x All-NBA, 3x All-Star, and probably the 2nd best player on their first title run.

Through the four years the Warriors won 3 titles, Green averaged 11.8/8.3/6.3/1.6/1.3 on a respectable .553 TS/17.1 PER/.162 WS/48  in the regular season and 13.3/10.0/6.4/1.8/1.5 with .543 TS%/17.3 PER/.171 WS/48 in the playoffs. 

He was the lifeblood of three title teams, which I doubt could be said about any player remaining.

@Yo Mama
Good.  Now I don't have to worry about taking this A hole on my team.  It was getting to where I thought I wouldn't be able to pass on the guy I dislike the most in the current NBA.

Last edited by a moderator:
To make it up to Pau for booting him off my pantheon team, Yo Mama selects:

10.01 - Marc Gasol, 10s C

He is an incredible fit alongside my other 10s players. His incredible defense pairs with AD perfectly, plus their high/low game will be unstoppable. His passing and vision will create havoc with Klay running off screens. He’s also a very efficient shooter who has added a reliable 3 point shot to his arsenal. He should be at the top of any list of best centers for the decade. 

Career averages of 14.2/7.5/3.4 with 0.9 steals and 1.4 blocks on 48%/36%/78% shooting. 

1x champ (and counting)

1x defensive player of the year

2x all nba

3x all star

1x all defense

Plus a standout euro career (not counting) 

Yo Mama’s (New) All-Time Team

PG - Tiny Archibald - 70s

SG - Klay Thompson - 10s

SF - Elgin Baylor - 60s

PF - Anthony Davis - 10s

C - Moses Malone - 70s/80s

PG/SG - Sidney Moncrief - 80s

SG/PG - Gail Goodrich - 70s

C - Robert Parish - 80s (or maybe Pau)

:thumbup:

Looked at him too, but with Melo went with the better defender and lower usage option.
If I had the choice between Gobert and Gasol, I’d probably still take Gasol because of his all around game, plus I already have Davis. Better fit for my 10s team, but Gobert was a solid choice too. 

Ok, this one is too easy. HOF scoring stud who fits perfectly on my pantheon team (sorry Pau) and should have been gone a while ago. Yo Mama selects:

9.16 - Gail Goodrich, 70s SG

I needed another scorer on my pantheon team and this guy is perfect for that.  A key part of one of the greatest teams in NBA history - the 71-72 Lakers, who won the first championship in LA. On a team with Wilt, West, and Baylor, Goodrich was the one who led the Lakers in scoring in the finals that year with 25.6 ppg. 

Career averages of 18.6/3.2/4.7 with 1.3 steals. During his 8 year peak he averaged 22.4/3.6/5.5 with 1.5 steals. And this is before 3 pointers, and where steals only counted for the second half of his career. 

1x champ

1x all nba

5x all star

Hall of Fame

Stud college career at UCLA too

Moses, Tiny, and Goodrich are going to be tough to beat in the 70s and might end up being my best in show choice. 

I was between Goodrich and Nance and figured there was a chance Goodrich lasted since there was the talk of people needing 80's guys.  Oh well

ETA:  At least it sounded like a few people had Nance on their radar so maybe I was only getting one of them no matter what.

10.2 Neil Johnston, C, 60s
His resume is by far the best of any player remaining, and maybe the best of the last couple rounds. He dominated other slow white guys from the era - his mid career averages (ditching his first and last seasons) were 22.3 ppg, 12.7 rpg, 2.9 assist per game while shooting a very impressive for the era 44.6% (Mikan for comparison was at 40.1% for his NBA career, Russell was at 44.0%). He led the league in FG% and scoring three times, and rebounding once.

Recognizing that advanced stats are...iffy... for the era, he had a career PER 24.7 (#11 all time) and 92.0 WS in only 8 seasons (87.9 in the middle 6 seasons). His efficiency is unmatched in the 50s. He was all-nba 5x, a 6x all-star, and lead the Warriors to the title in 1956. He bridged the gap between Mikan and Russell.

Pretty impressive guy from a very unimpressive era. 

Ok since other's keep posting their projected pantheon teams here goes:

• PG - Chris Paul
  • SG - Sam Jones
  • SF - Scottie Pippen
  • PF - Tim Duncan
  • C - Dwight Howard
  • Bench:  Dave Bing, Dolph Schayes/Issel/Nance (not sure the best combo yet).

Gonna be tough to score on us but probably need some scoring help.

10.03 Bruce Bowen, SF, 00s

Stand in the corner and drill 3s at a 40% clip on offense, shut you down on defense. 8x all-defensive stud and key cog in multiple championships. Perfect for something like this because he doesn’t need the ball in his hands with all these all-stars that will be drafted in this.

I'm at the point where I think everyone else is playing for second in the 2000s teams. 

(insert literally anyone, #### you could put me down and this would be the best 2000s team still)
And I took that personally.

The Big Aristotle is moving to the 00s, forming a new powerhouse all decade team to be reckoned with:

Jason Kidd

Ray Allen

Bruce Bowen

Kevin Garnett

Shaq Daddy

My link

In my completely unbiased opinion, in an all-decade ranking for the 2010s, Marc Gasol would rank only behind Dwight Howard for centers. The newbies with 2.5 great seasons don’t match up to a complete decade of excellence (granted their peaks are higher). 

10.03 Bruce Bowen, SF, 00s

Stand in the corner and drill 3s at a 40% clip on offense, shut you down on defense. 8x all-defensive stud and key cog in multiple championships. Perfect for something like this because he doesn’t need the ball in his hands with all these all-stars that will be drafted in this.

And I took that personally.

The Big Aristotle is moving to the 00s, forming a new powerhouse all decade team to be reckoned with:

Jason Kidd

Ray Allen

Bruce Bowen

Kevin Garnett

Shaq Daddy

My link
I prefer the talent of this team in a vacuum, but shooting is a bit lacking for the era (Bowen shot like 2 threes a game, I don't care if it was at a 40% clip) and Jason Kidd's talent is going to be underutilized by the lack of running partners. 

Yo Mama’s (New) All-Time Team

PG - Tiny Archibald - 70s

SG - Klay Thompson - 10s

SF - Elgin Baylor - 60s

PF - Anthony Davis - 10s

C - Moses Malone - 70s/80s

PG/SG - Sidney Moncrief - 80s

SG/PG - Gail Goodrich - 70s

C - Robert Parish - 80s (or maybe Pau)

:thumbup:
reeeeally interesting low duo and dynamic wings. Baylor's interesting. when the game really packed in in the 90s, i declared Elgin the first NBA superstar to become obsolete, because of his height and lack of hops and he was soooo right-handed. the trey game resurrected him, tho - he'd find it quite congenial, biggest weakness is lack of handle outside Tiny. Sid could hold the fort in standard play but not superstar, keeping Chief was right cuz both of your starting bigs can 4 well and Robert can square up the HOF posts off the bench

Ok since other's keep posting their projected pantheon teams here goes:

• PG - Chris Paul
  • SG - Sam Jones
  • SF - Scottie Pippen
  • PF - Tim Duncan
  • C - Dwight Howard
  • Bench:  Dave Bing, Dolph Schayes/Issel/Nance (not sure the best combo yet).

Gonna be tough to score on us but probably need some scoring help.
Dont value D12 at all against players who know what they're doing and Scottie needs the right guy to work off of to be at his best, so some coaching would need to be done. Stops are there fo sho. Backcourt, tho smallish, should work super well w Duncan

In my completely unbiased opinion, in an all-decade ranking for the 2010s, Marc Gasol would rank only behind Dwight Howard for centers. The newbies with 2.5 great seasons don’t match up to a complete decade of excellence (granted their peaks are higher). 
I currently have Howard placed in the aught's.  Maybe I need to rethink that....hmmmm

Dont value D12 at all against players who know what they're doing and Scottie needs the right guy to work off of to be at his best, so some coaching would need to be done. Stops are there fo sho. Backcourt should work super well w Duncan
I figured he would work well coupled with Duncan and could be there to clean stuff up if needed.  I think as a pair Duncan and Howard would defend tremendously against almost all big combos.  

I prefer the talent of this team in a vacuum, but shooting is a bit lacking for the era (Bowen shot like 2 threes a game, I don't care if it was at a 40% clip) and Jason Kidd's talent is going to be underutilized by the lack of running partners. 
Good chance Shaq goes back to the 90s anyways haha, but just need to have Bowen hang in the corner and drill them when left open, and that defense is pretty nasty. Not gunna argue too much right now though since that’s what we’ll be doing more towards the end I assume.

Revised Pantheon team: 

PG Walt Frazier, Penny Hardaway 

SG James Harden, Penny Hardaway 

C Wilt Chamberlain

SF James Worthy, Vince Carter 

PF Dennis Rodman, Maurice Lucas 

I also have Yao Ming but since Wilt averaged 48 minutes I don’t need a backup center. 

Users who are viewing this thread