What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***** ALL-TIME NBA/ABA DRAFT ***** (Scoobus is Champion!) (1 Viewer)

My 2000's squad:

PG - Stephon Marbury
SG - Kobe Bryant
SF - Shawn Marion
PF - Andrei Kirilenko
C - Elton Brand

I don't see a weakness, but please don't poke holes. Let me enjoy my handiwork.
Are we the first to complete a decade? I wonder how your team matches up with my 80s team:

PG Isiah Thomas

SG Walter Davis

SF Dominique Wilkins 

PF Tom Chambers

C Jack Sikma

We definitely took different approaches to our very different decades 

11.09 Brad Daugherty C 1980s

The #1 overall pick in 1986 was a highly skilled 7’ footer that could beat smaller defenders with post moves and could step out to hit the jumper against the trees.  Double-digits on the boards and hit free throws at a 75% clip.  Daugherty put up 19 and 10/ game and retired as the Cavaliers all-time leading scorer and rebounder.

In interviews Charles Barkley will mention how excited he was when the Sixers had the #1 pick and he envisioned playing alongside Daugherty.  Then Philly traded the pick for Roy Hinson and cash and Barkley knew the 76ers had just cost him a title as a Sixer.  Said he always hated playing against Daugherty and it pissed him off that he never got to play with him.

• His jersey #43 is in tribute to Richard Petty and Daugherty is now co-owner of NASCAR team (JTG Daugherty Racing)
  • He also appeared in uniform in the movie “Eddie” with Whoopi Goldberg 😄

Last edited by a moderator:
i was going to say the opposite - not a lot of size for that packed-in age before the Geniuses of Basketball realized, after only 25 yrs, that 3 was 1 more than 2. also wont be long before a member of that backcourt calls the Agent Zero Hotline for a gun.. hella squad, tho
That was my first thought.  There will be some "gotta get mine" stretches between those two guards while the other three just crash the offensive boards and run on the break for table scraps.

Mamba/Matrix/AK47 are the best defensive trio in the contest, IMO.

The #1 overall pick in 1986 was a highly skilled 7’ footer that could beat smaller defenders with post moves and could step out to hit the jumper against the trees.  Double-digits on the boards and hit free throws at a 75% clip.  Daugherty put up 19 and 10/ game and retired as the Cavaliers all-time leading scorer and rebounder.

In interviews Charles Barkley will mention how excited he was when the Sixers had the #1 pick and he envisioned playing alongside Daugherty.  Then Philly traded the pick for Roy Hinson and cash and Barkley knew the 76ers had just cost him a title as a Sixer.  Said he always hated playing against Daugherty and it pissed him off that he never got to play with him.

• His jersey #43 is in tribute to Richard Petty and Daugherty and he’s now co-owner of NASCAR team (JTG Daugherty Racing)
Duncan before Duncan. AND he actually defended the post.

Are we the first to complete a decade? I wonder how your team matches up with my 80s team:

PG Isiah Thomas

SG Walter Davis

SF Dominique Wilkins 

PF Tom Chambers

C Jack Sikma

I bumped D-Wade to 10's and completed mine.  Scoobus' 2000s squad is complete as well (and it's pretty nasty).

PG - Lillard

SG - Wade

SF - Iguadola

PF - Giannis

C - Horford

Little bit of everything with my team.  Great at nothing and bad at nothing (but above average on defense and all 5 can shoot the 3).

• His jersey #43 is in tribute to Richard Petty and Daugherty and he’s now co-owner of NASCAR team (JTG Daugherty Racing)
Had I not taken Iguadola to complete my 10's team, I would have taken Daugherty.  Thought he was the best value on the board right now.

11.10 - Bob Dandridge - SF/1970's

Named to the NBA All-Rookie Team in 1970, Dandridge was also an important part of the Milwaukee Bucks team that won the NBA championship in 1971. Dandridge is usually mentioned as one of the NBA's best forwards in the 1970s. He played a total of 13 seasons in the NBA, nine of them with the Bucks as well as four with the Washington Bullets, with whom he won an NBA championship in 1978.

In his career, he averaged 18.5 points per game over 839 regular season games and 20 points per game in 98 playoff games and was a 4-time NBA all star. His dunk in Game 7 of the 1978 Finals sealed the Bullets championship victory.

Dandridge scored more points in the NBA Finals in the 1970s than any other player, including Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. He scored a total of 450 points in four NBA Finals played, playing a total of 23 games, garnering an average of over 19 points a game, most notably scoring 109 points in the 1979 NBA Finals, which was the most on his Washington Bullets team.

Career highlights and awards

• 2× NBA champion (1971, 1978)
  • 4× NBA All-Star (1973, 1975, 1976, 1979)
  • All-NBA Second Team (1979)
  • NBA All-Defensive First Team (1979)
  • NBA All-Rookie First Team (1970)
  • No. 10 retired by Milwaukee Bucks
  • No. 12 retired by Norfolk State Spartans

@Mister CIAon the clock

i was going to say the opposite - not a lot of size for that packed-in age before the Geniuses of Basketball realized, after only 25 yrs, that 3 was 1 more than 2. also wont be long before a member of that backcourt calls the Agent Zero Hotline for a gun.. hella squad, tho
Brand had something crazy like a 7'6" wingspan or something. The 2000s were a bit of a wasteland for centers, and other than Shaq, none were especially physical in the post. Having a good athlete that could protect the rim was more important than having a banger. Kirilenko would struggle with some of the bigger PFs (Duncan, Garnett, Bosh, Dirk, etc.) But he would more than make up for it in the team concept.

11.10 - Bob Dandridge - SF/1970's

Named to the NBA All-Rookie Team in 1970, Dandridge was also an important part of the Milwaukee Bucks team that won the NBA championship in 1971. Dandridge is usually mentioned as one of the NBA's best forwards in the 1970s. He played a total of 13 seasons in the NBA, nine of them with the Bucks as well as four with the Washington Bullets, with whom he won an NBA championship in 1978.

In his career, he averaged 18.5 points per game over 839 regular season games and 20 points per game in 98 playoff games and was a 4-time NBA all star. His dunk in Game 7 of the 1978 Finals sealed the Bullets championship victory.

Dandridge scored more points in the NBA Finals in the 1970s than any other player, including Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. He scored a total of 450 points in four NBA Finals played, playing a total of 23 games, garnering an average of over 19 points a game, most notably scoring 109 points in the 1979 NBA Finals, which was the most on his Washington Bullets team.

Career highlights and awards

• 2× NBA champion (1971, 1978)
  • 4× NBA All-Star (1973, 1975, 1976, 1979)
  • All-NBA Second Team (1979)
  • NBA All-Defensive First Team (1979)
  • NBA All-Rookie First Team (1970)
  • No. 10 retired by Milwaukee Bucks
  • No. 12 retired by Norfolk State Spartans

@Mister CIAon the clock
I thought about taking him last round. Great pick. 

I bumped D-Wade to 10's and completed mine.  Scoobus' 2000s squad is complete as well (and it's pretty nasty).

PG - Lillard

SG - Wade

SF - Iguadola

PF - Giannis

C - Horford

Little bit of everything with my team.  Great at nothing and bad at nothing (but above average on defense and all 5 can shoot the 3).
Good squad there. You might have have the wisest approach. I feel like in the scoring the modern players will all get big bumps- particularly guys like Iggy or Dame who are fresh in minds where people might be like who was Walter Davis again? Plus you will get the modern NBA is smarter so having a bunch of 3 point shooters is automatically better.

PG - Lillard

SG - Wade

SF - Iguadola

PF - Giannis

C - Horford

10s team stats

They can definitely all take threes, but Giannis and Wade are historically bad 3 point makers for their volume, and Iggy is more fine than good. The struggle that I think this team will have is that the three best players need the ball in their hand to be effective, especially Wade and Giannis. Do you make Giannis the defacto PG, put Wade in the dunkers spot like the Lebron-Heat, and relegate Lillard to a catch and shoot SG?

The average 3 point shooting for the league through the 10s is roughly 35.5% - for the decade this team is at 34.9%

Brand had something crazy like a 7'6" wingspan or something. The 2000s were a bit of a wasteland for centers, and other than Shaq, none were especially physical in the post. Having a good athlete that could protect the rim was more important than having a banger. Kirilenko would struggle with some of the bigger PFs (Duncan, Garnett, Bosh, Dirk, etc.) But he would more than make up for it in the team concept.
what about Darko?!?!

i just remember it being all packed in, with smaller Cs having to eat the armpit hair of guys named Vlad & Zoltan

Good squad there. You might have have the wisest approach. I feel like in the scoring the modern players will all get big bumps- particularly yeh Iggy or Dame who are fresh in minds where people might be like who was Walter Davis again? Plus you will get the modern NBA is smarter so having a bunch of 3 point shooters is automatically better.
My original plan was to target 70's guys since my first pick was in that decade and I felt like many of their better players might fall lower than they should if people didn't pay attention to the ABA.

But then the 70's guys flew off the shelf early and the only one's that fell were centers and I already had one, so I shifted gears to the 2010's were I was able to grab Giannis and Wade on the 2/3 turn (sneakily stuck Wade in the 00's so as to not tip my hand early).

I'm kicking myself a little for waiting on my 10's center on the 4/5 turn because I thought the I would be able to get one of 4 guys, but they all went before it came back to me.  Horford was my consolation prize, but Iggy was the guy I wanted that fell far enough.

PG - Lillard

SG - Wade

SF - Iguadola

PF - Giannis

C - Horford

seeing it on the board, reeeeally like Horford as the post guy for Anteaternintendo. always thought the idea of Iggy was better than the reality, but a glue guy here fo sho. gonna take some beatin'

PG Isiah Thomas

SG Walter Davis

SF Dominique Wilkins 

PF Tom Chambers

C Jack Sikma

aaiiiyyyy! what's that glare from the middle of the floor? i cant see 'nique dunk!!

what about Darko?!?!

i just remember it being all packed in, with smaller Cs having to eat the armpit hair of guys named Vlad & Zoltan
I think the league took a decade to adapt to their own style. The Collins brothers were both mainstays through the decade, even through their only skill was playing post defense against the nearly non-existent (or more fairly, terribly inefficient) post scorers.

• His jersey #43 is in tribute to Richard Petty and Daugherty is now co-owner of NASCAR team (JTG Daugherty Racing)
This was my pick if Ralph Sampson was sniped. Nice one. 

10s team stats

They can definitely all take threes, but Giannis and Wade are historically bad 3 point makers for their volume, and Iggy is more fine than good. The struggle that I think this team will have is that the three best players need the ball in their hand to be effective, especially Wade and Giannis. Do you make Giannis the defacto PG, put Wade in the dunkers spot like the Lebron-Heat, and relegate Lillard to a catch and shoot SG?

The average 3 point shooting for the league through the 10s is roughly 35.5% - for the decade this team is at 34.9%
Note, I didn't say they shot it well, just that they can.  Lillard is my only really great 3-pt shooter and the only guy that should even attempt a contested or pull up 3 on the break.

I have a lot more to say about the offense and how it would run (I envision Giannis being a central piece as the screener and working in the high to low post depending on who his defender is), but we don't need a dissertation on my 2010's squad right now.

Sampson C 80s
11.08 Ralph Sampson, PF/C 80s

Everything I've read and seen says Sampson had a chance to challenge for all-time greatest status. Tragically, he had Bill Walton syndrome - fitting, as the only two guys to be 3-time Player of the Year in college. Before injuries sapped the athleticism, the 7'4" (!!) Sampson ran like a deer, jumped out of the gym, and was a two-way monster. He was described as Wilt on offense and Russell on defense after winning rookie of the year as well, made four straight all-star teams, an All-NBA, and the All-star game MVP (back when both teams were trying to win the whole game).

Also the first player ever to go for 30-15-5-5 (steals not blocks), he had all that you could ask for. I'll take a peak like that over longevity at this point in the draft. He goes perfectly with Micheal Ray Richardson as part of my too bright too fast 80s squad. Remains to be seen if he'll sit at PF like when he teamed up with Hakeem to make the Finals, or stay at C like his monstrous rookie season.

Reading through the comments on the draft sheet and this one is my favorite:

Russell Westbrook - "waves off Dr. J to take another contested 10 footer"

:lmao:
:bowtie:  Thanks.

I had it narrowed down to 2 guys and was hoping someone would take one to make it easier for me. But I'm going with the playmaker that dishes out more assists...

11.07 - Stephon Marbury, PG, 2000

"Starbury" gets me 22 points and 8.5 dimes a night.
Loved the Marbury to Garnett combo in Minnesota.  I really, really wish he would have stayed there because that was a great 1-2 punch.  It took a while for him to get away from the "next big thing/NY point legend" hype after he left, but it was good to see him find some peace, and his basketball game again, when he went to China to hoop.

Sampson C 80s
Would love to hear someone that saw this guy in his prime break him down a bit.  By the time I remember him he was an absolute shell of a basketball player.  Was his body just destined to break down, bad injury luck, other?

Note, I didn't say they shot it well, just that they can.  Lillard is my only really great 3-pt shooter and the only guy that should even attempt a contested or pull up 3 on the break.

I have a lot more to say about the offense and how it would run (I envision Giannis being a central piece as the screener and working in the high to low post depending on who his defender is), but we don't need a dissertation on my 2010's squad right now.
I noticed the distinction. 

Sampson C 80s
didnt even see it til you mentioned it. gosh, was this guy born 40 yrs too soon....ruined his career by being the first superstar center who wanted to play facing the basket.

the 83 Final Four was one of the best weeks of my life. had won a seat lottery but realized i'd never spend that kinda $$ to actually go so scalped em early, but got to go to the Finals for $5 cuz the scalpers had overpriced themselves and were giving tickets away @ 7:30. i was in direct line w Wittenberg's shot and couldnt see Lo's putback, failing to understand the delay between its natural arc and the cheer of the crowd until i saw V running around the floor looking for someone to hug.

at any rate, i used my ticket $$ on moneyline bets on the Wolfpack hru the whole thing after seeing them win the ACC Tourney, so i multimutliplied my windfall; got to party w the Wolfpack at a disco called the Hungry Tiger (V came in a Travolta suit and was a total hoot); 18000 people showed up @ The Pit for the frikkin shootaround. amaaaazing ####...

the weirdest moment, tho, was the NCAA AllStar game @ Johnson Gym on the Sunday between semis & finals. i'm no small person - shade under 6'4 - but i'm whipping around a corridor corner going to the head and i bump, nose-on-navel, into Ralph Sampson in his civvies. he honestly looked more like Gumby than a person, like he'd been stretched. his head appeared 2 ft long and 4 inches wide. whoa!

didnt even see it til you mentioned it. gosh, was this guy born 40 yrs too soon....ruined his career by being the first superstar center who wanted to play facing the basket.

the 83 Final Four was one of the best weeks of my life. had won a seat lottery but realized i'd never spend that kinda $$ to actually go so scalped em early, but got to go to the Finals for $5 cuz the scalpers had overpriced themselves and were giving tickets away @ 7:30. i was in direct line w Wittenberg's shot and couldnt see Lo's putback, failing to understand the delay between its natural arc and the cheer of the crowd until i saw V running around the floor looking for someone to hug.

at any rate, i used my ticket $$ on moneyline bets on the Wolfpack hru the whole thing after seeing them win the ACC Tourney, so i multimutliplied my windfall; got to party w the Wolfpack at a disco called the Hungry Tiger (V came in a Travolta suit and was a total hoot); 18000 people showed up @ The Pit for the frikkin shootaround. amaaaazing ####...

the weirdest moment, tho, was the NCAA AllStar game @ Johnson Gym on the Sunday between semis & finals. i'm no small person - shade under 6'4 - but i'm whipping around a corridor corner going to the head and i bump, nose-on-navel, into Ralph Sampson in his civvies. he honestly looked more like Gumby than a person, like he'd been stretched. his head appeared 2 ft long and 4 inches wide. whoa!
:wub:   :lmao:   :thanks:

I've read several of your stories through the years and like them all, but being a hoopsfan...this may be my favorite.  Sounds like an incredible time.

Ralph definitely played smaller than his height. Maryland's mostly just adequate bigs during his days at UVa were able to keep him contained. Maybe if there had been a forward-thinking coach for him in college that could have used all of his athleticism instead of just his height.  That's why he did better at Houston once they drafted Olajuwon.

I was very, very close to taking him. 

Would love to hear someone that saw this guy in his prime break him down a bit.  By the time I remember him he was an absolute shell of a basketball player.  Was his body just destined to break down, bad injury luck, other?
it was all in him not wanting to play with his back to the basket. in school, he had Kareem's skyhook beat because he could actually lean & dunk from the restricted line. had a beautiful hook, too, and had the best seat for a ball in his hands i've seen on a big guy. woulda rained treys today if he deigned to pick b4 pop.

but he wanted to face the basket and didnt have the step. so, then, he'd drive to the post and do a hitch there and try his old move which he didnt have the leverage for in the bigs. basically, he became real ez to figure out and frustrate after that and he would play giant pouty ball like Wilt on a bender.

I might regret this, not because he's not a good player but because I might be overlooking a better choice.  But I have good memories of this guy.  Seemed to have a lot of energy and hustle, and could get on a hot streak.

11.11 (or wherever we are) - Cedric Ceballos, SF 90s

I might regret this, not because he's not a good player but because I might be overlooking a better choice.  But I have good memories of this guy.  Seemed to have a lot of energy and hustle, and could get on a hot streak.

11.11 (or wherever we are) - Cedric Ceballos, SF 90s
Huge Ceballos fan. Loved that guy. 

Ralph definitely played smaller than his height. Maryland's mostly just adequate bigs during his days at UVa were able to keep him contained. Maybe if there had been a forward-thinking coach for him in college that could have used all of his athleticism instead of just his height.  That's why he did better at Houston once they drafted Olajuwon.
Buck Williams would like a word with you, sir.

That was my first thought.  There will be some "gotta get mine" stretches between those two guards while the other three just crash the offensive boards and run on the break for table scraps.

Mamba/Matrix/AK47 are the best defensive trio in the contest, IMO.
Yeah, that was my line of thought when I took Marbury over the guy Wikkid mentioned. I wanted a PG that made plays for others and had better percentages as opposed to another shoot-first guy. Both provide enough points so I went with the assists.

Man, I’ve got six guys I want here. Trying to figure out if any could drop to the next turn (guessing not). 

Users who are viewing this thread